• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How Lord Shiva Born - Yahoo Answer (About Brahma, Vishnu , Shiva in Upanishad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vignesh2014

The samhita part of vedic literature, did not deem any personal forms of God, as we find in the Hindu society today. The mantras deem energetic field in various aspects denoted by the particular words Brahmaa, Vishnu and Shiva. The sacrificial part and meditative part were considered part of Upasana. There is no mention of the words Bhakti or Mandiram, or Aalayam in the mantras.
Upanishads, expounding philosophy have been accorded par status with the shruti. These are not 'apaurusheya' (not made by humans) as the Vedas are. Upanishads contain references to various forms of Divinity in vogue in worship pattern of people, by synthesise them philosophically as the Supreme reality Brahman.
The only part of Vedas with innumerable salutations 'namaH' is in the Rudra Prasna of Taittiriya Samhita and Rudrashtadhyayi of Vajasaneya Maadhyandina samhita addressed to Rudra. The fusion of the Divinity as Rudra and Shiva in popular worship has taken place over several millennia.
The Upanishads are the compilations of various seers and sages. They contain several legends also. Clearly they are 'paurusheya' (made by humans)
The Taittriya Mahanarayanopanishad has got a chapter Devata Gayatri MantraaH, listing Rudra (twice), Danti (Ganapati),Nandi,Skanda (kartikeya), Garuda, Brahma, Vishnu, NarasimhaAaditya,Agni and Durga. The same Upanishad has a chapter 'Shivopasana MantraaH', commencing with "Nidhanapataye namaH' There is no unanimity about the number of Upanishads. Many have come up after several forms of deities came into vogue popularly.
Strangely, contrary to present day Dashavata theory of Vishnu, the Nrisimha Poorva taapini upanishad, considers Nrisimha as a manifestation of Shiva.
For attracting and retaining the masses to whom the philosophical treatises were inaccessible and largely unintelligible, Puranas came into existence. Tradition is that 18 puranas were composed by Sage Vyasa, but the form content and treatment of subject widely differ. Perhaps many scholars to gain immortality to their works, attributed them to Sage Vyasa. In these also Shiva devoted Puranas are there.
Both the 'itihasa's, the Mahabharata and Ramayana do not mention existence of any temple except for Shiva and Gauri (Katyayani) and external worship was always to the Shivalingam, sometimes instantly formed with earth or even sand, as Sri Rama did.
With the sharp demarkation of Vaishnavism and Shaivism, a contribution of the Tamil country, Sansrit works too incorporated many legends extolling the particular deity form. While so doing, the other deity form was accorded lesser status. From the 12th century onwards, the legends about Brahmaa and Shiva, as mentioned in the question were incorporated by the SriVaishnavaite sect. Embellishment of these legends were done by writing Sthala Puranas for deities at various places. Tamil Savants of Bhakti movement composed hymns in Tamil and the places which were mentioned in these poetic works were given status of 108 Divya Desam by SriVaishnavaite scholars and 235 'paadal petra sthalam' by Saivaite scholars in later days.
In this background, one point of consensus is that Lord Shiva is accepted as 'not born' 'aja' in Sanskrit, 'a' meaning 'non' and 'ja' meaning 'born', 'aja' meaning unborn.
Tamil devotional literature describes Lord Shiva as 'piRavaa yaakkai(p) periyon' = the one supreme who had no birth (=beginning). Saint Manikkavachakar extols as: "Munnai(p) pazham porutkum munnai(p) pazham poruLe, pinnai(p) pudumaikkum perthum ap pettriyane" = Ye who is ancience to the utmost known ancient and one who is novel of the most novel entity', thus describing the ad-infinitum quality of Lord Shiva.

Sri. 'kcsadvocate' is getting popular in our forum.
award_star.png

This is not to create in the minds of the people but to give clarity to hindu thoughts...i'm knowing that people are making mockery of my writing but definitely i'm writing these or getting these for more clarity in our thoughts. According to scriptures as far as i know shiva is never born and never worshipped anybody except Atma Lingam or self worship of himself.
This is not my view..this is according to veda and upanishad only. In later years in order to bring unity between different sects they created relationship and also made all six deities as equal during Adi shankar times and he is generally considered as Shanmata Stapakar (or proponent or advocate of six forms of worship of brahman, the nirguna).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not looking for any popularity..even the story i published through "Author House' i published in the name of VAIRAM only.I'm not interested in cheap publicity also. I have many forums to display my writing. This is not the only one. That's why i never made any friends just like Lord Brahma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back