• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How do i find my Kola Devam and gotharam please?

Please speak to people who knew your ancestors regarding your gothram and kula deivam. For example - someone who has lived in the same village or some of your distant relatives. You might get some leads. I am sure that if you put in some effort, you will get answers. Your gothram is something that is proprietary to your family. Check details with any family priest that your family would have engaged at some point of time. They can give you leads.

As regards Kula Deivam, if you don't know and find it impossible to find your kula deivam, you can adopt Tirumala Balaji, Murugan or Sastha as your kula deivam. No harm in it. Something is better than nothing! Rejog your memory cells to any family functions that you attended as a child. You will get some answers. If you seek something with a good intention, success is a foregone conclusion. God bless you and your family!

Please use the function SEARCH, this topic has been discussed multiple times.
It is at the Top Right-hand corner with a magnifier symbol.
In the search box

kula devam, or any others and you can get your answer.

Good luck.

For finding your Gothra, you have to find a male relative on your father's side.

There are three sources of Gotras.

1. Your family clan learned from the elders in the family.
  2. When a woman and man marries, the woman joins the Gotra of her husband. If you don’t have a Gotra and are initiated by a guru, then you take the guru’s Gotra since through the process of initiation (dīkṣa) you become the spiritual child of the guru.
  3. You take your astrological Gotra based on your nakṣatra or birth asterism. Check your birth nakṣatra on the chart below and find your Rishi and Gotra
main-qimg-f20a50c4b49cd06a508c7096d157f221-lq

During ceremonies if you don’t have a specific Gotra then the priest will allocate you to the general all-purpose category of KAŚYAPA Gotra.

In the search box

Good luck.

For finding your Gothra, you have to find a male relative on your father's side.

2. When a woman and man marries, the woman joins the Gotra of her husband. If you don’t have a Gotra and are initiated by a guru, then you take the guru’s Gotra since through the process of initiation (dīkṣa) you become the spiritual child of the guru.
  3. You take your astrological Gotra based on your nakṣatra or birth asterism. Check your birth nakṣatra on the chart below and find your Rishi and Gotra

During ceremonies if you don’t have a specific Gotra then the priest will allocate you to the general all-purpose category of KAŚYAPA Gotra.

In the search box

Good luck.

Thank you so much 🙏

Please speak to people who knew your ancestors regarding your gothram and kula deivam. For example - someone who has lived in the same village or some of your distant relatives. You might get some leads. I am sure that if you put in some effort, you will get answers. Your gothram is something that is proprietary to your family. Check details with any family priest that your family would have engaged at some point of time. They can give you leads.

As regards Kula Deivam, if you don't know and find it impossible to find your kula deivam, you can adopt Tirumala Balaji, Murugan or Sastha as your kula deivam. No harm in it. Something is better than nothing! Rejog your memory cells to any family functions that you attended as a child. You will get some answers. If you seek something with a good intention, success is a foregone conclusion. God bless you and your family!
But it is commonly being told by the Sastrigal that Tirupathi Balaji cannot be a kola Deivam. Kola Deivam may be the Grama Devatha. Kindly clarify

But it is commonly being told by the Sastrigal that Tirupathi Balaji cannot be a kola Deivam. Kola Deivam may be the Grama Devatha. Kindly clarify
I have lost faith in all the Sastrigals. Do not trust anyone blindly. There is no hard and fast rule that Kula Deivam has to be the Grama Devatha. Trust your instincts...nothing else matters. Many of these sastrigals are masters in misguidance. I am sorry to say this but I have been a victim of rampant misinformation. How many sastrigals indulge in ethical behavior today? At the end of the day, it IS ONLY ABOUT MONEY. I reiterate that Tirupati Balaji CAN BE a kula deivam. For our family, he is the only one. Period.

Namaskaram.. My father's side kula deivam Dharma sastha Ayyanar. But don't know where the temple is located. My father was born in melapavoor village near Thirunelveli. I stay in Chennai. There are lots of family problems, health issues. Wanted to do pooja at Kuladeiva temple.

Spoke to anscestors, they do not have idea about where the temple is located.
Can you please help in finding the kuladeiva temple? Few people say that prasna jothidam will help finding the kula deiva temple..

Latest ads

Back