• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hindu priest offers prayers in US Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please go to this link and read the news item:
Hindu priest awaits date with US Senate
http://www.rediff.com/news/2007/jul/10aziz.htm

"
According to the US Senate Web site, 'Throughout the years, the United States Senate has honored the historic separation on Church and State, but not the separation of God and State. During the past 207 years, all sessions of the Senate have been opened with prayer, strongly affirming the Senate's faith in God as sovereign lord of our nation,' it says.'

Perhaps the Tamil Nadu government could take some lessons from the USA.

Are they planning to outsource this activity ?
Dear lotus_quartz:
If they out-sourced this, then that Hindu Priest will lose his job!!

All kidding aside, I hope you people in India see the goodness of the USA in true tolerance of all minority religions. With all those die-hard fundamentalists (Christians), it is amazing that they are allowing a Hindu prayer in the Senate.

I have a general question for members: Are daily prayers offered either in the Parliament in New Delhi or in the Tamil Nadu Assembly? If so, are all religious prayers recited?

One reason why the Indian Army is held in high esteem and treated as neutral agency whenever called to quell the communal strife is its exemplary culture of promoting religious practices right under its own supervision.

All the regimental centres, cantonment areas have designated places of worship for all communities i.e, Temples, Mosques, Gurudwaras and Churches. Navy and Air Force also follow this tradition. Army appoints and posts the priests, pujaris, muolvis , granthis etc. and such people continue in regular employment of Army.

I know this as one of my classmates was the son of Army priest of the rank Subedar Major.

So uncle Sam is not the only one with bright ideas !

Dear lotus_quartz:
If they out-sourced this, then that Hindu Priest will lose his job!!

All kidding aside, I hope you people in India see the goodness of the USA in true tolerance of all minority religions. With all those die-hard fundamentalists (Christians), it is amazing that they are allowing a Hindu prayer in the Senate.

I have a general question for members: Are daily prayers offered either in the Parliament in New Delhi or in the Tamil Nadu Assembly? If so, are all religious prayers recited?

SF,

Not too long ago, there was a storm raised on singing Vande Mataram. You cant even imagine any form of religious activity in Parliament. They need to be so politically correct.

Left, KKK and other non-Hindu members would surely object to any form of Hindu worshipping.

To tell you what, i myself wouldnt support any form of Hindu religious worship.

Unlike US, India is not a homogenous country. If such demands were to come from every community/religion, already the very little official business that Parliament transacts would vapourise.

Do you know that Finance Bills are passed even without a proper debate ? Such is the state of affairs of Indian Parliamentary Democracy.

Let us leave our faiths at home when we step out. I believe in this.

Dear Hari:
By any means, I WAS NOT advocating Hindu Prayers in Indian Parliament or Assembly; I was merely pointing out that in the USA where the Constitution distinctly states separation of Church and State, they allow even minority religious prayers at the start of the session. They allow this for all religions - Christianity, Islam and now Hinduism.

While I agree with you about being secular, why can't they allow prayers from all religions? That was the question I had.

By the way, USA is NOT a homogenous country; in fact, USA is called a country of melting-pots of different races, nationality, ethnicity. Maybe religiously, Christianity is the major religion.

SF,

Not too long ago, there was a storm raised on singing Vande Mataram. You cant even imagine any form of religious activity in Parliament. They need to be so politically correct.

Left, KKK and other non-Hindu members would surely object to any form of Hindu worshipping.

To tell you what, i myself wouldnt support any form of Hindu religious worship.

Unlike US, India is not a homogenous country. If such demands were to come from every community/religion, already the very little official business that Parliament transacts would vapourise.

Do you know that Finance Bills are passed even without a proper debate ? Such is the state of affairs of Indian Parliamentary Democracy.

Let us leave our faiths at home when we step out. I believe in this.

Dear silverfox - our politicians will carry logic to the point of absurdity always. since USA has invited a person from outside their country, these 'rationalists' will also invite a Maulvi or Mullah from say saudi arabia to recite some islamic verses in india, on the pretext that even a secular country like US has done this!

Folks,

We should be proud as Hindus today as the 'correct' prayers were offered in the floor of the U.S. Senate, representing our graet religion. It started with the Gayathri mantra (I would have personally preferred not to have included a matra, but may be a sloka), it ended with sayings form our great Upanishads. If read what was recited, you can not but come away with tears - tears that roll down because of the Universal Truth of our religion was spoken in an alien land that respects humanity, but also because it pierces through all the mis truths about our religion. We should commend the priest who took the initiative to do it.

And judging from the reaction of certain fundamental Christian sects to it, we need to make sure that the west understands about our religion better than how it is portrayed in general.

http://us.rediff.com/news/2007/jul/13prayer.htm

Pranams,
KRS

Dear KRS:

Not so fast! Go to this link and read all the mud-slinging by the Christians!
Also, CNN has a video of the Hindu priest trying to pray but continuously was disrupted by the christian hooligans.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/2007/07/historian_barton_says_hindu_pr.php

A couple of doozies:

"It is time for America to wake up. Hinduism is a false religion with false gods and we have to let people know that Jesus is the only way and the truth and the life as it says in John 14:6. Hinduism is not the way to get to heaven, only knowing Jesus and following him will enable us to get to heaven."
"These are pagans...they pray to false gods. This, to me, is just one more of the many signs that prove where this nation is headed. I shouldn't be stunned at things like this, but again, I am. Our so called leaders send a message to us all as to what they'll do stay "Politically correct."

Dear Sri Silverfox Ji,

This only proves that there are religious nuts everywhere. But, I think, as Hindus we have not done a good enough job to make the people in the west know about Hinduism - that a part of our religion is also monotheistic.

It is actually good that this has happened. This gives us an opportunity to explain.

Pranams,
KRS

Last edited:
The tamil government is not made of intelligent atheists and rationalists but morons masquerading as intellectual politicians. The truth is that the religious people didn't fight back, they simply remained religious. Atheists are a "religious minority" in TN! :D

it was thstime i remember HHHaridhos Giri once commented during a bajan at asthika samjam chennai 25 years ago that days are not far .tha indiuan parliment has to commence its session after singing thodaya mangalam,a sampradaya bajan begining
hope let us wiush his blessings,dream come thru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back