• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hindu women priest

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

shashi Tandon.jpeg
SHASHI TANDON: Fulfilling Hindu priestly duties and starting a quiet revolution

Since emigrating from New Delhi in 1982, Tandon has presided over countless religious ceremonies for Hindu families in Chicago, Michigan, Wisconsin and elsewhere, filling a void that has emerged because of a shortage of Hindu priests.
There is nothing in Hindu scripture that bars women from becoming priests, also known as pandits.

But in some parts of India and the U.S., women priests face resistance from conservative Hindus clinging to tradition. Tandon, 68, a retired teacher with a feisty attitude, recalled a group of men mocking her at one wedding she performed. They asked, How can a woman be a priest?

"I said to them, 'I have a question for you. Can you tell me who gave birth to you?' " she said. "The mother is the true priest. She is the true teacher, the first teacher of the child."

Neelima Shukla-Bhatt, a South Asian studies professor at Wellesley College in Massachusetts, said more Hindu women are learning priestly functions not necessarily because they feel drawn to religious life. Rather, women—including Shukla-Bhatt—are stepping forward to meet the growing Hindu community's needs.

Tandon was born in Multan, which was then in India, and raised in New Delhi. Her mother taught her how to do daily fire rituals. She concedes that she didn't like it very much at first. However, once she learned the meaning, she felt a desire to be a priest. She studied in an ashram, learned the scriptures and received training to perform all 16 samskaras, the sacraments or rites of passage for every Hindu. Later, she opened a school for poor girls to teach them the Hindu faith.

Last edited:
Here in my town in the Sai temple they have a women priest. She is great devoted person, and devotees accept her.

I see no reasons why a female or even a transgender should not be a priest.

The body is just a garment that is discarded from birth to birth and the Atma is neither male,female nor neuter.

So technically there is no problem.

hi
just for info....first Hindu woman priest in US ARMY as chaplain.....i saw her pic in Hinduism Today....i forgot her name....she is

married and has children too.....she is punjabi woman.....

hi
just for info....first Hindu woman priest in US ARMY as chaplain.....i saw her pic in Hinduism Today....i forgot her name....she is

married and has children too.....she is punjabi woman.....

The first Hindu chaplain was army Captain Pratima Dharm, who holds degrees in psychology and theology, and is already serving on active duty at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. In addition to being the first Hindu chaplain in the U.S. military, she will also be the first female of Indian descent to serve as a U.S. Army chaplain. According to an article in the Stars and Stripes Dharm has worn the cross on her uniform with the endorsement with the Pentecostal Church of God, but has now been endorsed by the Hindu endorsing agency, Chinmaya Mission West.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ravi-chaudhary/a-great-day-to-be-an-amer_b_871748.html

Whoever does the duty with devotion and according to basic rules/practice is a priest. Odd Gurukkals used to eye beautiful or rich ladies. In case of female priests the devotees maybe a few of them, may eye the priest. Sin changing side. Evil is on the onlooker. Hope no new social problems arise.

Whoever does the duty with devotion and according to basic rules/practice is a priest. Odd Gurukkals used to eye beautiful or rich ladies. In case of female priests the devotees maybe a few of them, may eye the priest. Sin changing side. Evil is on the onlooker. Hope no new social problems arise.

Are you sure, are you talking about the profession of pujari, not some other exotic profession.

Hindu Priests, known as ‘Pandits or Pujari,’ are traditionally men and it is etched in the mind of many Hindus that only men can do the traditional pujas. It is true that the puja in temples and other auspicious ceremonies like marriage and housewarming are performed by men but it does not mean that Hindu women cannot become priests. There is nothing in the Hindu scriptures that bars Hindu women from taking up the job of a priest. And a slow change is taking place in Hinduism with more and more women taking up the position of priests and what is even more encouraging is that many Hindus are welcoming the change - there are thousands of Hindu Women performing pujas in Pune, Nagpur, Nashik and Mumbai. Pune has several institutions training women to become priests.

Hindu women priests might be miniscule in number and conservative Hindus clinging to nonexistent tradition out of ignorance might keep them out but not for long because it has been found that young Hindu women are becoming more and more expressive and are slowly but steadily breaking unwanted traditions.

Man is ruled by his mind and the mind is a monkey. Some people draw respects and some people withdraw others respect. We know all are not saints. Society can take care of men pujaris, and in case of women pujaris, I think the society has to graduate as they are vulnerable at least to begin with.

Man is ruled by his mind and the mind is a monkey. Some people draw respects and some people withdraw others respect. We know all are not saints. Society can take care of men pujaris, and in case of women pujaris, I think the society has to graduate as they are vulnerable at least to begin with.
hi
i agreed with u....now days nobody want to become priest....only poor boys did on olden days....now i think poor families

prefer other profession....even cook and catering areas very flourishing and making more money...no girl is ready to marry

a hindu priest......so this will be degraded...may be fade way after some years....many veda patashalas are closing...due to

non availability of students/funds...now IT trends makes brahmin community vulnerable...especially brahmin girls.....even any

hindu woman priest want to marry....its tough question....may be hindu womean priest in temples will more attractive and

commercially viable...like any commercial organisation...lol

Good News. But woman performing priestly duties is not new. Arya Samaj is training women priests since its inception. Here in Bangalore I have seen woman priest from Arya Samaj performing religious ceremonies where they were invited to participate.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Why are these women shunning IT? Is it because purohitam is a better profession compared to software or BPO? I am glad that many members of this profession are mobile with cell phones and cars.

Yesterday I saw a well built and prosperous looking (pancha katcham, red kurta, prominent marks on the forehead, a smart phone) purohit coming out of a house, after completing the pooja, and informing the family next on the list that he will reach within fifteen minutes to start the pooja.

I parked my car in the space he vacated. Competition is good because let the good man or woman win.

But families wanting men purohits must not be called ignorant. What is non existent tradition?

Hindu women priests might be miniscule in number and conservative Hindus clinging to nonexistent tradition out of ignorance might keep them out but not for long because it has been found that young Hindu women are becoming more and more expressive and are slowly but steadily breaking unwanted traditions.

Why are these women shunning IT? Is it because purohitam is a better profession compared to software or BPO? I am glad that many members of this profession are mobile with cell phones and cars.

Yesterday I saw a well built and prosperous looking (pancha katcham, red kurta, prominent marks on the forehead, a smart phone) purohit coming out of a house, after completing the pooja, and informing the family next on the list that he will reach within fifteen minutes to start the pooja.

I parked my car in the space he vacated. Competition is good because let the good man or woman win.

But families wanting men purohits must not be called ignorant. What is non existent tradition?

Are you disputing that women have been kept out of this profession (priest or pujari)? If they have been kept out, what is the reason?
My contention is that a "tradition" was created, by denying women to be trained as priest. This is the case in almost all the religions. But by accepting the status quo we are perpetuating a myth, and that is ignorance.

See there are two kinds. Those who do Pujas in temple for public and at homes for individuals are different from those who help others in doing them. Both are professional work if people take them up. In the case of former the choice could be welcome or not preferable like Balaji Temple, Meenakshi Temple. There are many unpopular temples. Being ladies, they would add colour to the deities and the temples too. But there is also a possibility that group of ladies may attempt to thin out the devotees if they have problem with the priests. In men this does not happen generally as they concern themselves with the deities as they do with themselves at home. Of course, if the ladies group priests settle in the business the whole thing can become glamarous attracting more bees and going to temple could become a costlier affair, too. In the case of priests helping gruhastas, doing the pooja there could be no problem between them provided the "Master" of the house has no problem. In any case chances of permanency is remote both at Temples and at homes. Well, if my fears do not come true, you can take it that man and woman are equal.

See there are two kinds. Those who do Pujas in temple for public and at homes for individuals are different from those who help others in doing them. Both are professional work if people take them up. In the case of former the choice could be welcome or not preferable like Balaji Temple, Meenakshi Temple. There are many unpopular temples. Being ladies, they would add colour to the deities and the temples too. But there is also a possibility that group of ladies may attempt to thin out the devotees if they have problem with the priests. In men this does not happen generally as they concern themselves with the deities as they do with themselves at home. Of course, if the ladies group priests settle in the business the whole thing can become glamarous attracting more bees and going to temple could become a costlier affair, too. In the case of priests helping gruhastas, doing the pooja there could be no problem between them provided the "Master" of the house has no problem. In any case chances of permanency is remote both at Temples and at homes. Well, if my fears do not come true, you can take it that man and woman are equal.

It is free country, should the freedom be extended to all, in each and every field?
Do we really mean it, or is it only lip service?
Should there be restriction on the basis of Gender, race, color, or caste. I agree that the candidate must be qualified for the job. And of course private religious organization can have their own rule.

Got this by email:

EQUALITY OF MEN AND WOMEN IN SANATANA DHARMA.
As per Vedanta, man and woman are two aspects of the same divinity.
(See ShwEtAswatara Upanishat 4.3., Brihadaaranyaka Upanishat 1.4.3.)
That there was equal opportunity for both of them is established with the examples of MaitrEyi, and Vaagaabhrni (see BU 2.4.3-5., and RV 10.125).

The Brahmavidya of Vaagaambrni, the intellectualism of Gaargi vaachaknavi, the yogic mysticism of of Suabhaa, the scholarship of Arundhati etc., are all well documented.
(see RV 10.125.1-8., BU 3.6.1., Mahabhararatha Shantiparva 320., MB anushaasanaparva 130 etc.,)

More than thirty women sages (like Vishvavara, Apaala, Ghosha Kaksheevati etc.,)are mentioned in Rigveda itself
Upanayana for girls which was in existence during Vedic times had vanished by the time of Manu. (around 200BC).

Why only men and women, even every creature in the world are the Atman which is immortal, pure consciousness.

Jeeva is sometimes born in a male body and sometimes as a female.

This was known to our ancestors and so, there was equal opportunity for both men and women.

Social upheavals and frequent foreign invasions contributed to the gradual decline in their status.
Child marriages and the problems of young widows cropped up as a result.
Though divorces were unknown, remarriage of women was permitted when husband died before consummation or when he was missing for a long time or when he took sanyas.
( as in the case of Damayanti and Nala).

WIDOW MARRIAGE AND SANATANA DHARMA.

Marriage is an important sacrament in sanatana dharma. A person enters householder's status only after this samskaara. One cannot perform any of the religious rites without the marriage.Taittareeya Brahmana says, äyajniyO vA yEshayO apatneekaha". (T.B. 2.2.2.6.)

Although marriage provides daampatya sukha to the individuals, there is an element of utility to the families, the society and the nation at large.

What is the status of a wife?
"aThO ardhO vA yEsha Atmanaha yatapatnee"(T.B. 2.9.4.7.)
This means that the husband and wife have the same status.
The husband when he brings his wife to his home for the first time utters, "asmin grihE gaahapthyaaya jaagrihee". (R. V. mandala 10, sukta85, mantra27.).
It means, "be the head of this home".

Some people think that Manu was an enemy of the women.
"ÿathyvaatmaa thathaa putraha, putrEna duhitaa samaa " says Manusmriti.
That means there is no difference between a son and a daughter.
When such is the shaastra, why this discrimination between a man and a woman?
This practice is thus against the dharma.
It is an artificially created aberration.

The discrimination is most predominant in the way widows are treated in our society.
The various attachments that a girl gets from her birth itself like kumkum, haldi, bangles, flowers etc., are taken out forcibly in an inhuman way from her once her husband dies.
Till recently there was a practice of removing her hair thus reducing her to an intolerable situation.
Even now, there are few such cases going on in certain pockets.

But the same set of rules are not applied to the man who marries giving an oath,
"dharmEcha arthEcha kAmEcha naathi charaami"".
where is the statement that "putrEna duhitaa samaa"?
Is this not against the dharmasastra?

The woman who is condemned from her birth itself that she is weak, after such a treatment from her own relatives and the society becomes totally condemned and gets relegated to a corner.
We may still see such a situation in the remote villages although this may not be the case in bigger cities.

The man who loses his wife almost immediately takes another wife.
The second wife gets an additional responsibility of looking after the children from his first marriage also.
Would a lady get a similar facility?

What do the dharmashaastras, the vedas, upanishats and other texts on sanatana dharma say about this?

Rigveda (10.40.5.) says,

kuhasviddOshA kuhavastOrashvinA kuhAbhishittvam karatah kuhOshatuhu.
kO vAm shayutrA vidhavEda dEvara maryam na yOshA krNitE saadastha Aa.

As per SayaNa bhaashya a widow can take another husband after her husband's death.
The man who marries a widow is not considered inferior to other men.
Widow marriage is not forbidden.

The first mantra of the third sookta of the fourteenth kaanda of Atharva Veda lays down that a woman whose husband dies, should accept another person who can provide food, clothes and shelter and can also give good children.

Manusmriti also provides a few slokas giving the same view.

"yaa patyaavaa parityaktaa vidhavaa vaa svayEchchayaa,
utpaadayEta punarbhootvaa sa sounarbhava uchyatE,
saa chEdakshata yOsaaha syaata gata pattyaagataapi vaa,
pounrbhavEna bhartyaa saa punaha samskaaramarhati."

It means, if the lady is either rejected by her husband or if he is dead, she should marry again.

Kaatyaayana smriti says, "varayitaa tu yah kaschit praNashyEt purushOyadaa.
rutvaagamaam streenateetya kanyaanyam varayEdvaram."

That means the widow should marry three months after her husband's death.

Prajaapati smriti also provides for the remarriage of young widows or for those ladies who are rejected by their husbands.
"yadisaa baalavidhavaa balaata tyaktaathavaa kvachit".

Mahabharata mentions that even when there is a doubt about the existence of the husband, his wife can remarry.
"Aasthhaasyati punarbhymee damayantee svayamvaram,
tatra gachchanti raajaanO raajaputraascha sarvashaha."
-mahabharatha, vanaparva,ch.70, shloka24.

more clearly,
"sooryOdayE dviteeyam saabhartaaram varayishyati,
na hi sa jnaanayitE veerO nalO jeevati vaa na raa".
-mahabharata vanaparva, ch.70. sloka 26.
( Damayanti is going to marry the next morning. The doubt about the powerful Nala's existence is the reason for this decision.).

One can find similar views in Bheeshma parva chapters 90 and 91 also.

A princess who is widowed 20 times marries 21 times as mentioned in Padmapuraana.

Although because of the efforts of the great social reformers like Eshvar chandra vidyasagar, Dr. Tejbhahadur saproo and others, it has been accepted legally,
the practice is yet take roots in India.
The problem is peculiarly special perhaps in India alone and especially in the Sanatanadharma followers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back