• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hindu Munnani against New Year midnight poojas

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

Hindu Munnani against New Year midnight poojas

Coimbatore: The Hindu Munnani has urged the district administration to prevent poojas at temples on the intervening night of New Year and also impose a ban on revelries.

In a petition to Collector Archana Patnaik yesterday, it sought to ban New Year celebrations in hotels, resorts and public places and also conduct of special poojas in temples.

Munnaani district president K Dasharathan said the New Year celebrations were part of Western culture and against the cultural and traditional values of Tamils.

Read more at: http://newstodaynet.com/tamil-nadu/hindu-munnani-against-new-year-midnight-poojas

Yes, I am in full agreement with this view point. While we cannot stop people celebrating in hotels, resorts etc., the special poojas, darshan in Hindu temples at 00:00:01 Hrs are deplorable and against the age old customs. According to Hindu ritual customs, the "Viswaroopam" (waking up of divine deity) cannot be midnight. (In fact, I do not appreciate the custom now at Tirumala temple, where Suprabhatam seva takes place at 3 am - pre dawn time; However, there is a justification - huge influx of pilgrims, throughout the year)... In certain Vishnu temples, the "paramapada vaasal" (Sorga vaasal) opens during pre dawn timings - but it depends on auspicious lagnam - some time at 3 am, some time 4.30 am; some time 5 am like that...

Let better sense prevails....

Out here Poojas are held in Temples to usher in the New Year of the 1st January kind which I have never attended even when I used to go to temples.

It's strange that 1st January should be celebrated in a temple!LOL

BTW I have noticed Hindus seem kind of Non Hindu friendly too like celebrating 1st January and also wishing each other Merry Christmas.

I only wish a Christian Merry Christmas but not a Hindu.

Recently one of my Hindu female cousin got a proper scolding from me for sending me a Christmas greeting..she is still wondering why I scolded her!LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back