• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Help with Thithi

sg_ganesh

Hi,

I'm really in a state of shock/confusion over my father's thithi.

He passed away on the 23rd of September 1993, 4.30pm in Srirangam/Tiruchirapalli. All the while we have been performing Shraddha Tithi on Sukla Paksha Ekadasi. Few days back I got a shock, that on that day of 23rd, Ekadasi thithi was upto 3.40pm only and Shukla Paksha, Duvadasi starts after that.

Both drikpanchang.com and prokerala.com panchangam confirms that the Ekadasi thithi is up to 3.40 only. But, some other online panchangam say its up to 6.30pm

Could someone please help me confirm the actual thithi?

regards
ganesh

This is for the benefit of people who read my post.

I guess we do not have any aged astrologers in this forum to answer my complicated question. So, I did some further research and with that, I came to a conclusion and console myself.

We have followed the Thithi based on the Tamil daily calendar which in turn confirmed by the temple gurukkal at that time.

Now, the problem is, according to my research, most of the Tamil calendar publishers use Vakyam Panchangam which is the traditional old-school method of Panchangam calculation. Even though in 1957 the national panchangam officially adopted Thiru Ganita Panchangam for its accuracy and precision, still Vakyam Panchangam is commonly in use due to its ease of calculation.

The time difference between these two can be as high as 12 hours. In my case, according to Thiru Ganita Panchangam the Ekadasi tithi ends at 3.42 pm and according to Vakyam Panchangam Ekadasi tithi ends at 5.04 pm

Since my father's death is between 3.42 pm and 5.04 pm.. we have this dire situation.

Hope this information helps others too.

I thought of replying whether you have seen the thithi correctly because the date and thithi not matched with either ekadasi or dwadasi so any typo error as you already in a confusion/shock

Hi,

I'm really in a state of shock/confusion over my father's thithi.

He passed away on the 23rd of September 1993, 4.30pm in Srirangam/Tiruchirapalli. All the while we have been performing Shraddha Tithi on Sukla Paksha Ekadasi. Few days back I got a shock, that on that day of 23rd, Ekadasi thithi was upto 3.40pm only and Shukla Paksha, Duvadasi starts after that.

Both drikpanchang.com and prokerala.com panchangam confirms that the Ekadasi thithi is up to 3.40 only. But, some other online panchangam say its up to 6.30pm

Could someone please help me confirm the actual thithi?

regards
ganesh
It should be Shukla paksha Navami

Hi, may be you looked at something wrongly;

View attachment 20021
This is what I get wherever I checked
IMG_20230925_135833.jpg

Last edited:
hi Lotusinsanskrit

my grave mistake and apologies in writing down the date.. the date is 26th September 1996 and NOT 23rd.

so to correct it again
Date: 26th September 1996
Time: 4.30pm

Latest ads

Back