• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Help!! Need Slokas Audio/text recited for South Indian Iyer Marriage Ceremony -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
God willing i will get married this Jan. Will much appreciate if you can point me to source for audio and text (in sanskrit with intonations) of the mantras recited during the ceremony, both the ones the Vadhyars recite themselves and the ones they will have me recite. This is south indian iyer marriage.

A number of books are available on this pertaining to each Vedam viz. Yajur, Sama, Rukh, etc.
Shruti i.e. right intonation is very very important for the recitation of Mantras of Veda. It may
not be easy to learn the mantras from the audio without the help of a book in the absence of
of a qualified Guru. A mantram has to be according to proper shruti, otherwise the impact may
not be good. As regards stotras, you can learn it through audit as they are not strictly bound
by shruti. Hope you are aware that the veda mantras have been allowed to be chanted orally
many many years ago. Some books say more than 6000 years ago. In fact, our Bharat Varsham
is purely based on world's ancient Vedas on which our custom & civilization is completely dependent.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Hi,

I think the wedding manthrams should be recited only during the wedding. No rehearsals please!

Many sAsthirgaLs explain the meaning of the manthrams, if and when requested by the groom.

This is an interesting aspect of all the Hindu weddings.... The Seven Steps.

Hindu wedding vows allude to various stages of married life. Although Hindu Wedding Vows differ slightly with regards to

local culture, the core more or less remains the same. A Hindu marriage vow is taken while the couple are instructed to take

seven steps. Each one of this step is symbolic of the forward motion of life, not alone but with a partner. Glean through the

customary utterances as far as Hindu Wedding Vows are concerned.

1. With God as our guide, let us take the first step to live with honor and respect. Let us walk together so we get food.

2. Let us be happy and enjoy life. Let us walk together so we grow together in strength."

3. Let us share joys and pains together. Let us walk together so we get wealth.

4. Let us not forget parents and elders. Let us walk together so we get happiness by sharing our joys and sorrows."

5. Let us observe all acts of charity. Let us walk together so we have family.

6. Let us live a long and peaceful life. Let us walk together so we have joy.

7. Let us be friends with love and sacrifice. Let us walk together so we have friendship."

8. With seven steps we have become friends. Let me reach your friendship. Let me not be severed from your friendship.

Let your friendship not be severed from me.

Hi Balasubramanian.
Many thanks for the reply... I have got the whole of Yajur Veda (we are Yajur Abasthamba) from Veda Prasar Samiti...text and mp3. Now if can only identify those
that will be recited during the wedding...then i can get started....
Can i recite Ekagni from there, some say it is only recited in the cremation ground...
Could you kindly point me to the place where i can get those books and the title, authors of them. I live in Chennai.
Thanks again.

A number of books are available on this pertaining to each Vedam viz. Yajur, Sama, Rukh, etc.
Shruti i.e. right intonation is very very important for the recitation of Mantras of Veda. It may
not be easy to learn the mantras from the audio without the help of a book in the absence of
of a qualified Guru. A mantram has to be according to proper shruti, otherwise the impact may
not be good. As regards stotras, you can learn it through audit as they are not strictly bound
by shruti. Hope you are aware that the veda mantras have been allowed to be chanted orally
many many years ago. Some books say more than 6000 years ago. In fact, our Bharat Varsham
is purely based on world's ancient Vedas on which our custom & civilization is completely dependent.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Hi Balasubramanian.
Many thanks for the reply... I have got the whole of Yajur Veda (we are Yajur Abasthamba) from Veda Prasar Samiti...text and mp3. Now if can only identify those
that will be recited during the wedding...then i can get started....
Can i recite Ekagni from there, some say it is only recited in the cremation ground...
Could you kindly point me to the place where i can get those books and the title, authors of them. I live in Chennai.
Thanks again.
hi
if u are living chennai...just visit giri trading company , near kapaleeswarar temple...mylapore, chennai 4....just try there...

Dear TBS Sir,

I have a doubt. Can a groom-to-be recite the wedding manthrAs at home?

I thought they should be recited only during the wedding and not earlier. :confused:

Hi Balasubramanian,
I did go to Giri yesterday, when i enquired, the only book they had for me was The Vivaha The Hindy MArriage Samskaras by Pt. Bhaiyaram Sarma...It has slokas but for intonations and surtis it would be nice if i could link it to the Yajur Veda location in the text i have got and then listen to the MP3 of the same... Any help here is most appreciated.

hi
if u are living chennai...just visit giri trading company , near kapaleeswarar temple...mylapore, chennai 4....just try there...

Hi TamizhBram

One should not recite the wedding mantras at home. The reason being when the groom-to-be is chanting the panigrahana mantra by holding someone's hand as per the mantra that person is your partner. If one observe in the marriage ceremony, the acharya instructs the groom not to give shake hand to anyone till the mantra recital of panigrahana is completed. Now the question comes how come the acharya can chat it. When the shishya enters the gurukula the guru does the samskara and starts the gurukula vasa and teach him the mantra and grhya sutra and vedic portions. So in that stage he/she is still learning so there is an exception on that. So it is strongly advised not to chant in home before marriage. Also for the vedic mantras akshara pronounciation and the intonation is important. If you refer the tamizh dictionary for the word vedam it is given as ezhudha kilavi. So an acharya will correct you at the time of marriage even if you pronounce improperly. And at the last the grom will recite the kshama prarthana for all the lopa that occured if any in the mantra recitation and the homa karma that he has done.

Thanks
C.R.Bala

Dear TBS Sir,

I have a doubt. Can a groom-to-be recite the wedding manthrAs at home?

I thought they should be recited only during the wedding and not earlier. :confused:
hi RR madam,
generally no.. even vedas has to learn from guru/patashala....now a days everything learn though CDs'/skype etc.....even when i

was studying veda patashala....we have to go to graveyard to recite antheysti mantras...i was very young...there are many

burning pyres in samsaan ghat....but we have to learn there only.....like some mantras should not be done in home....

I am afraid my request for help is being hijacked. This thread is not intended to be a question or discussion on whether a given set of mantras can be recited at home or not, but if the audio and the text of the Mantra is available somewhere irrespective of what can be done or cannot, If so i will definitely purchase and listen to it even if i dont recite it.
Also i am wondering how the Vadhyars learnt the Marriage Mantras....hopefully some poor pair was not a training ground...
I think such self imposed limitations is what make sanskrit a dead language...and if we continue so will Brahminism be in the not so distant future....
Sitaraman

hi RR madam,
generally no.. even vedas has to learn from guru/patashala....now a days everything learn though CDs'/skype etc.....even when i

was studying veda patashala....we have to go to graveyard to recite antheysti mantras...i was very young...there are many

burning pyres in samsaan ghat....but we have to learn there only.....like some mantras should not be done in home....

....... I think such self imposed limitations is what make sanskrit a dead language.........
The purity of Carnatic music is still present in spite of many other forms of 'jana ranjaka' music including 'dappAgkooththu' songs!

Sanksrit will never be a dead language as long as the 'pAtashalA's and Sanskrit colleges exist. Please do not worry.

P.S: A person has to do pooja in the Swami room and sleep in the bed room. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back