• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Happy Deepavali

Status
Not open for further replies.
302788_th.jpg

Wishing you a very

happy & colorful

Deepaavali 2012!

DeepAvaLi brings a lot of nostalgic memories in my mind. When we were kids, mother used to prepare many goodies

for about three days! There will be about a dozen varieties of sweets and savories. They will be kept aside for Swami

'neyvEdhyam' on DeepAvaLi day. We were not allowed to taste them earlier! Gingelly oil, boiled with a teaspoon of rice

and black pepper and cooled would be ready for the oil bath. All our new dresses and that of the house maid, with turmeric

marks in the corners, would be neatly arranged on a 'maNai palagai' with 'kolam' on it, in the swami room. Our job is to

keep all the crackers and sparklers on huge trays and dry them in Sun light, at least for three days.

On the auspicious day, father will have his oil bath very early and wear his new dress. Mother will make us sit, one after the

other on 'maNai palagai' and keep oil on 'uchchan thalai'. Soon after bath, we do 'namaskAram' to Swami and parents and they

will give us the new dress! It was such an excitement to get the new dress, along with their blessings. The first thing given to

us is the 'DeewALi marundhu' in empty stomach. Then all the yummmmy items would follow! :hungry:

Other members can share their 'malarum ninaivugaL' and make this thread more interesting! :ranger:

hi RR madam,

Gingelly oil, boiled with a teaspoon of rice .....

i like this boiled rice very much....naan athai porukki rice mattum pidikkum....with little oil....generally i like coconut oil....instead

of NALLA ENNAI.....with seekai podi....kannu koncham eriyum....after fireworks....we go to temple too....we like

olai pattassu....we collect some unburned firecrackers from the street and collect together ...then burn it....

those days using bare hands to use friecrackers are called HEROES....i tried many times to inspire the neighbor

girls...showing like hero....sometimes i burnt my fingers too....

Last edited:
hi RR madam,

Gingelly oil, boiled with a teaspoon of rice .....
Yes Sir!

When the rice puffs and comes up, it shows that the oil is heated well and the black pepper is added

so that we will not have an attack of common cold after the early morning head bath! :thumb:

Dear All TB Members,

Hope all had a peaceful(Loud) & happy diwali, without any injuries to any of your kith & kin. Wish all the members a wonderful, cheerful, sparkling year ahead and may the all powerful almighty shower his choicest blessings on all members and their families for the years to come and may we all interact with each other day in day and thru this wonderful forum.
Let us welcome the wonderful & cool winter season and hope it would bring many a cool postings from each & every one of us!!

Cheers...

Sweets and savouries are not the only items that we relish during Deepawali...

We used to enjoy the Diwali marundhu (legiam)....

It is made from Ginger, Jaggery, Omam (Ajwain), cumin seeds & coriander seeds and ghee...It is supposed to solve all indigestion problems and keep us healthy.

Nowadays we have the ready made Podi available in South Indian shops which is used for making this legiam.

Happy Belated Deepavalli Wishes Praveen and all other friends at the forum, hope you had a great day and it was wonderful with family and friends..

I wish you all the very best now and always.. God shower his blessings upon all of you to attain all goodness in abundance.

Subhalakshmi/Bushu :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back