• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hair cut on Saturdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Kunjuppu,
Barber shops are closed on Tuesdays in Chennai even now--the reason given by you applies even to-day Let us not condemn or belittle the practices , just because in modern days everything is criticised for the same of criticism. Our old parents had practiced for decades & let us give credit for the same & follow as much practicable. At least some very important things. We get mental satisfaction when following the traditions, which cannot be denied , our religion never compel anything, it is for us to choose & adhere as much as practicable & just criticize & take pleasure in Countering. Let us respect the Good things taught to us by our older Women in all brahmin families right from 1930s.

Sincerely
A.Srinivasan ( Rishikesan)

1. Oil bath for male is normally done on Saturday

2. Oil bath for female is normally done on Friday

As per above logic of 2 x 2 matrix vide your post, for female & male it has to be done on same day...why is this dependent on the sex of the individual...Why this difference.

May be because you are barred from having sex on the day of oil bath.

May be family planning was practised by this restriction.

Dear Kunjuppu,
Barber shops are closed on Tuesdays in Chennai even now--the reason given by you applies even to-day Let us not condemn or belittle the practices , just because in modern days everything is criticised for the same of criticism. Our old parents had practiced for decades & let us give credit for the same & follow as much practicable. At least some very important things. We get mental satisfaction when following the traditions, which cannot be denied , our religion never compel anything, it is for us to choose & adhere as much as practicable & just criticize & take pleasure in Countering. Let us respect the Good things taught to us by our older Women in all brahmin families right from 1930s.

Sincerely
A.Srinivasan ( Rishikesan)

dear rishikesan,

i re publish my post #5 in full below. kindly tell me where there is criticism of anybody or anything. i wish, if you want to lecture or preach, do so, without quoting an unrelated post or even address it to me.

if you want to respect anyone or any practise, it is your prerogative. go ahead. but do not address a note to me, with insinuations as to what or whom i supposedly 'disrespect'. your post has no relevance as an answer to my observation on something about barber shops being closed on tuesday, and that too 60 years ago.

in my time, when i was growing up in madras 50s, 60s, barber shops closed on tuesdays, as brahmins considered tuesdays to be inauspicious for hair cutting. not sure if this is still practised.

atleast this was the reason given to me by my barber.

Last edited:
Namaskaram,
Why should we not get a hair cut on Saturday? I would like to know the reason behind it.

Thank you
Ajay.

Dear Sri Ajay,

Why not, we can get the haircut done on any day convenient to us, except on Tuesdays when the shop is closed. Perhaps it may be because Saturdays are reserved for Oil Bath for men. (Many of us have left oil bath due to high cost of til-oil today) If we believe in superstition then we have to follow the same.

How ever when I look around me I find during my life time we have broken many of our age old beliefs in our personal appearance,behavier, dressing etc.in the name of modernisation and convenience. Men do not grow tufts or wear Panchkacham mode of dhothis any more. We do not brand ourselves with religious markings except on specific religious days. Ladies go to hairdressing saloons on regular basis, they do not adhere to Caste based mode of wearing of sarees, instead they prefer convenient modern dress including jeans and T-shirts. My own grand daughters do not like bindi on their foreheads.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

I just got this information...It seems Tuesday was the day of Hanuman..It was a day devoted to fasting and abstaining from anything non pious including taking non veg food...So cutting of Hair was not allowed as hair/nail removal was considered impure...Also the Lord for Tuesday is Mars from astrology..Hence considered inauspicious

Regarding Saturday's, In olden days, keeping a beard and matted hair was considered to be a symbol of the conduct of Sages (Rishidharma), that is, celibacy. Saturday is the day of Maruti who is an observer of the vow of celibacy of Lord Shiva. There is a predominance of the Maruti Principle frequencies in the Universe on Saturdays. Therefore in order to respect this Principle and to remind oneself of Rishidharma, that is 'I have to win over carnal desires in spite of being in family life,' one should not shave on Saturday. All these rules come under ritualistic worship done through the medium of the body. Also Saturday is the day of Lord Shani...Hence it is considered insuspicious to cut hair /shave on Saturday

Why does a Hindu does not shave or cut hair on saturdays (Reference for the bar on Saturdays)

Last edited:
Why is your God so powerless that He has one day in a weak is inauspicious. If yada yada hi dharmasya
glanir bhavati bharata
abhyutthanam adharmasya
tadatmanam srjamy aham
Translation
Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion—at that time I descend Myself.this God is so powerless, how do we trust His promise.

I do not believe that there is anything inauspicious in this world. It may be inconvenient to some but that is the way it is.

Last edited:
Dear All,

After a long time this is an interesting article which received 31 responses in a short span of time. From my point of view, it will be better to have a hari cut on Saturday when the barbers are relatively free as compared to a sunday. We can get some extra time for massage and extra attentin shown by the barbers only if it is Saturday. So, nothing wrong in having hair cut on Saturdays - on the contrary it will be very comfortable (but don't take leave and go for hari cut).

Venkat K

I find all our forum members does not want to abide by the above rules(say superstition)Then why you people redicule old belief when once they were in vogue because people of that time accepted them as correct.Belief changes with time and mingling of different civilizations.We want to be called as brahmins sane good practice.

I find all our forum members does not want to abide by the above rules(say superstition)Then why you people redicule old belief when once they were in vogue because people of that time accepted them as correct.Belief changes with time and mingling of different civilizations.We want to be called as brahmins sane good practice.

I fully endorse the above from Mr wrong/ writing the Right opinion which both older 7 many of youngsters also may agree.?
Rishikesan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back