• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hair cut on Saturdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ajay sir,

I am hearing for the 1st time about Saturdays..my mum always says that a boy or man should not cut hair on Friday cos it is not good for the father of the person..dont ask me why??

When I was young I was told that a person boy or girl should not cut hair on the day they were born..in my case I was born on a Wednesday and my mum never allowed me to get a hair cut on Wednesday but one day I broke the rule and got my hair cut on Wednesday...

so God knows why there are all these rules..

Just like its Never on a Sunday for other stuff I guess some story must be behind this too!

There is another one...Not sure whether you would have heard it before...If you need to wash new clothes it has to be a Sunday....What is the logic behind this..From the point of getting leisurely time on a Sunday ,I can understand...If I get leisurely time on Saturday can I not wash new clothes on that day?

in my time, when i was growing up in madras 50s, 60s, barber shops closed on tuesdays, as brahmins considered tuesdays to be inauspicious for hair cutting. not sure if this is still practised.

atleast this was the reason given to me by my barber.

in my time, when i was growing up in madras 50s, 60s, barber shops closed on tuesdays, as brahmins considered tuesdays to be inauspicious for hair cutting. not sure if this is still practised.

Though many brahmins (I am talking about tabras) have given up the ideas of good days and bad days for haircut, nail paring etc., barbers in many places observe Tuesday holiday!!

Such beliefs/superstitions possibly came from the ancient notion that removing hair, nails etc., tantamount to losing part of the body's vitality and so these things have to be done on favourable days only. But for several years now many people have not been observing these superstitions and have not been suffering any noticeable disadvantages. On the other hand, no great advantage seems to accrue to those who follow such notions ;)

A few saloons follow this 'Tuesday holiday' rule even now!

But I am surprised to find a few saloons for ladies open on Tuesdays!! :dizzy:

BTW, what a great topic to discuss in G D forum!! :lol:

No haircuts on Tuesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and the day you were born! So that means you can cut your hair only two days of the week (if you were born on one of the "free" days).! In olden days, women weren't allowed to cut their hair, but now you see ladies with all kinds of hairstyles of all lengths. So this superstition of "good days" and "bad days" for cutting hair makes no sense esp as women themselves have broken this taboo and gone and got their locks chopped!

3% brahmins could decide the fate of 97% other-than-brahmins! I thought most of the brahmins had the kshavram done at home in the 50s. Some imaginations run really wild

Of course we have a precedent - church going christian rulers have made sunday a universal holiday for all.

May be the barber is a brahmin and closed the shop as 'hair cutting' on a tuesday is inauspicious.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just sharing my view on this curious discussion. My mum used to tell me on Tuesdays and Fridays it is not healthy to play with sharp objects. Because on fridays the Devi performs tapas on the tip of these objects. Hair, nail cutting and other things will disturb her tapas. I was curious about how you can cut vegetables and all on these days. But I think in an astrological way, tuesday belongs to Angarakan, god of blood shed and war. Even in the western culture. So playing with weapon on that day may result in a high number of accidents happening. Atleast for those who have that type of jadhakams. Friday is also special in the sense it belongs to suKra and Lakshmi devi. I never heard about Saturdays.... This is the first time i am hearing about it.....:wof:

Manikandan.S

... generally saturdays ONLY FOR OIL BATH FOR BOYS....may be the reason....
But if hair is cut, oil could be saved!!
icon3.png

3% brahmins could decide the fate of 97% other-than-brahmins! ..........
Dear Sir,

Tuesday is considered 'EttA moottA' by KLBs (Kerala brams) and inauspicious by tambrams.

Non brams neither spend money nor give any dhanam on Tuesdays! And, haircuts are costly!!
That may be the reason why saloons are closed in our area on Tuesdays. :couch2:

P.S: I gave one used saree to my servant maid on a Tuesday and she refused to take it saying, 'No dhanam on Tuesday!!' :nono:

The general rule I think would be:

1) Auspicious events done in auspicious time gives auspicious results
2) Auspicious events done in inauspicious time does not give auspicious results
3) Inauspicious events done in auspicious time does not give inauspicious results
4) Inauspicious events done in inauspicious time gives inauspicious results

Since I guess hair cut is inauspicious and Tuesday is inauspicious, Tuesday gives the worst possible results for a haircut, Tuesdays are to be avoided for hair cut.

Last edited:

3) Inauspicious events done in auspicious time does not give inauspicious results

Since I guess hair cut is inauspicious and Tuesday is inauspicious, Tuesday gives the worst possible results for a haircut, Tuesdays are to be avoided for hair cut.

1. Oil bath for male is normally done on Saturday

2. Oil bath for female is normally done on Friday

As per above logic of 2 x 2 matrix vide your post, for female & male it has to be done on same day...why is this dependent on the sex of the individual...Why this difference.

Dear Sravna,

Why do you consider hair cut inauspicious?

1. Oil bath for male is normally done on Saturday

2. Oil bath for female is normally done on Friday

As per above logic of 2 x 2 matrix vide your post, for female & male it has to be done on same day...why is this dependent on the sex of the individual...Why this difference.

Dear Shri Vgane,

There may be additional factors. As you say, the sex could be the reason. I am not sure though.

I don't remember forbidden tuesdays; of course ekadasi-amavasai type days were no no.

In UK student days the university barber decided choosing a 15 minute slot from his appointment register. Now, different areas have different weekly holidays; so day restriction less of a nuisance.

Brahmin barber, active-passive voice dilemma:- "as brahmins considered tuesdays to be inauspicious for hair cutting."

Dear Sir,

Tuesday is considered 'EttA moottA' by KLBs (Kerala brams) and inauspicious by tambrams.

Non brams neither spend money nor give any dhanam on Tuesdays! And, haircuts are costly!!
That may be the reason why saloons are closed in our area on Tuesdays. :couch2:

P.S: I gave one used saree to my servant maid on a Tuesday and she refused to take it saying, 'No dhanam on Tuesday!!' :nono:

In India it used to be law, that a shop has to close on any day of the week. You could not work 7 days a week. Hindus would choose Tuesday, Muslims would choose Friday to close.

TB's would not get haircut on Saturday, but barbers are most busy on Saturdays.

In England shops used to be closed on Sundays by law, but most desi shops you could knock on the door and get your shopping done. This used to drive the locals crazy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back