• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Guide me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am visiting Cochin for an written exam this sunday. I will be reaching there by sunday morning and will be leaving from there the same night. I will be grateful if some keralites clarifies some doubts of mine.

1. Good and cheap staying accommodation lodge near Ernakulam North station. (As my exam venue is St. Albert's college, banerji road)

2. How much the auto costs there to reach the venue from station?

3. Any good VEGETARIAN restaurant there nearby?

4. How long is the distance between Ernakulam and Thiruvanjikulam. I want to visit the temple and kodungalur bhagavathy.

5. How much time it will take to reach if I go by an auto (because I have to catch the train in the same night itself) and how much it costs?

Help me in this regard.

Pranams

I am visiting Cochin for an written exam this sunday. I will be reaching there by sunday morning and will be leaving from there the same night. I will be grateful if some keralites clarifies some doubts of mine.

1. Good and cheap staying accommodation lodge near Ernakulam North station. (As my exam venue is St. Albert's college, banerji road)

2. How much the auto costs there to reach the venue from station?

3. Any good VEGETARIAN restaurant there nearby?

4. How long is the distance between Ernakulam and Thiruvanjikulam. I want to visit the temple and kodungalur bhagavathy.

5. How much time it will take to reach if I go by an auto (because I have to catch the train in the same night itself) and how much it costs?

Help me in this regard.

Pranams

Durga,

There are good hotels for stay and also good vegetarian hotels which you can search in the web and find out. You may have to manage boiled rice.

Hotel Abad Metro Cochin - Discount Booking for Hotel Abad Metro Kochi

Probably you can try a budget hotel through the above

Autos are very nominal and they don't overcharge unlike Chennai. They charge on per KM basis only. May be around 8 Rs per KM.

Thiruvanjikulam is near Kodungallur - nearest railway station is Irinjalakuda. Direct buses may be available from Ernakulam to Kodungallur and you can take an auto to Tiruvanjikulam. Autos charge nominally.

Try to board the train at Irinjalakuda itself if it stops there. Otherwise board the train at Trichur. There are lot of buses between Kodungallur and Trichur at the frequency of every 5 minutes. Journey time may be around 1 to 1.5 hour. Going back to Ernakulam is waste of time.

Hope I am not confusing you.

All the best

Thank you uncle

BTW I had booked the tickets for to and fro from ernakulam only since the exam center is there... Will try as you suggest. Thanks a lot uncle..

Pranams

Thank you uncle

BTW I had booked the tickets for to and fro from ernakulam only since the exam center is there... Will try as you suggest. Thanks a lot uncle..

Pranams

Let the ticket be between Ernakulam and Chennai but you change the boarding point officially. Probably you can change boarding point to Trichur.

All the best

To Durga Dasan, It is not passible to visit this temples after exams,timeings are not flexible to you, better visit nearest is chottanikari and santhna gopala krishnaan temple on the way. s.r.k.

#1. Two Hotels near the "big temple" (Siva temple, with Aanjaneyar temple, Muruga temple and "Gramajana Samooham" hall&office very close to temple), are Aiswarya (on Divan's Road), and, Narayaneeyam (on Wariam Road) -- land mark other than big temple, is TDM Hall, both i have in the past found suitable, if you go a few meters further, there is Bharath Hotel (formerly Bharath Tourist Home), slightly more expensive...... oooops, power failure...i hope to continue later! -- regards, good trip, good lk with test in St Alberts, rj.

#1 (contd).....i suggest the hotels near the big temple, because they are close to ernakulam jn. rly station (also known as ernakulam south), and also because they are not very far from St Alberts, the venue of exam for you. they serve veg food, as far as i remember, and, anyway, BharathHotel, Woodlands&Dwaraka all are in close vicinity. within walking distance, or within 10 rupee distance for autoriksha. (it may be raining this week, in kerala) additionally, you may not find a suitable hotel near 'North'station, with temples nearby as well. (a note: just near North Station, i believe some new Hotel or Lodge has come up: i have no direct knowledge of that -- StAlberts is just a li'l over 1 km from NorthStation : and, from the other places i mentioned, just under 2 km only - 10 to 15 rupees by auto)
#2. Thiruvanchikulam is about 28 km to 32 km by shortest route from ernakulam (via edapally, on way to Guruvayur, or, Kodungallur, via Paravur): bus available every half hour or so, but it will take a li'l over one hour to reach thiruvanchikulam. with your exam schedule, and train booking for return, it may not be a very good idea, due to time-and-space constraints. you have to keep the temple timings also in view. maybe you could consider the ernakulam temple(s) mentioned above for darshan&prayers, and/or, time permitting, chottanikkarai (Devi)& Thripunithurai Poornathrayeesan(SanthanGopalaSwamy) both almost within townbus distance from ernakulam, as suggested by one of the above advisory notes.
#3. most of the veg hotels (some of them named above) give you a choice of boiled and raw rice for the full meals: and, as for autoriksha, the current rate officially is, 10 rupees for 1st km, and 6 rupees for every additional km. the town(city), for the mission of your visit is small, and auto fare will be 10 to 15 rupees for the trips you mentioned (lodging place to venue of exam): taking auto to thiruvanchikulam is not recommended. Thrissur, as boarding point for return, is a good idea -- but keep the weather factor in mind: if it starts raining heavily, road journey may be affected, may be slowed down, in most parts of kerala -- the time available to you on this trip, appears to be limited!
once again, all the best in the exam: regards, lvngly, rj (in bangalore this week, and next)

Sri Durga,

Best wishes for excellence in your test.

If your alighting point is at Eranakulam Jn (ie Eranakulam South), then nearby many hotels are there.

Many budget lodges for short stay are also available near around Station.

The slightly above budget level ones but decent (with vegetarian restaurants) are

Hotel BTH ,
Hotel Udupi Ananda Bhavan

They are on MG Road/ near Jos Junction.
Other vegetarian restaurants near Jos Jn are

Gokul, Bimbis (veg section),

From Jos Jn to St Alberts is a straight drive along M G Road to MGRoad North end and a turn to left . Autos may charge around 25-30 ( fm new visitors).will take near 10 mts. If more time is there, buses also available from Jos Jn toSt Alberts (via Menaka&Jetty) . If not peak hour, it may take 20-25 mts ,as they halt at stops for more time.4-5 Rs.

Just opposite to St Alberts also is a vegetarian restaurant name Saravanabhavan if I recollect correctly.

If you alight at Eranakulam Town(Eranakulam North), then St Alberts is nearer. Autos may charge around 15-20, though distance is not much.But not walkable for first timer.

There are many hotels/lodges for short stay, near Town station also. There are a couple of vegetarian restaurants near there also.
On the way to Alberts from North stn is Hotel BTH North end.

Depending on the time of return train you may plan Kodungallur trip. Many private and KSRTC buses start a little away from St Alberts
( near High Court) to Kodungallur, Guruvayur Buses also pass via Kodungallur. You can also board some KSRTC buses ( Fast Passenger/Limited stop )going to Kodungallur from Kaloor Jn about 2 km fm St Alberts. You may try to get precise info after reaching Eranakulam in relation to your timing and convenience.

Usually temples close by 11 in the morning and again open in the evening by about 4.30-5 pm.So plan accordingly.

As Sri KVR noted, return journey will be better fm Trichur.Trichur is well connected from Kodungallur.

But being rainy season , please give sufficient allowance of time for all journey.

Wish you Best.

Greetings

Last edited by a moderator:
Sri.Durga Dasan,

I wish you all the very best with your examinations. I believe, there must be many hotels to suit your requirements. I wish you good cheers in this trip.

Cheers!

First let me wish you very best in the exam. I think you are particular of visiting the temple at thiruvanchikulam. Then you can take a taxi from ekm (approx Rs.500-600)visit the temple and return back. Please note that journey time will be 3 to 3and half hours (to and fro) by bus and two by taxi. Plan acordingly. Please do not get down at Irinjalakuda station since it will not be convenient to you. Alternatively you can board from trichur (depending your exam time and train timings) as trichur is 30 to 40 kms from the temple. one to one and half hours by bus from temple to trichur station. Train takes one to one and half hours to reach trichur from ernakulam.
Please do inform how was your exam and temple visit after sunday. If you need any help do feel free to write.with best wishes once more - kr subramanian

hi
kodugallur temple is close to trissur...there are a lot of buses
from trichur....in ernakulam there is famous lord shiva temple..
if u have time ..please visit tripunithara shiva temple or
cherthala bhagavthy temple....even sri guruvayur temple
is between ernakulam and trichur....just info...

regards
tbs

Thanks a lot for all the info showered... I will proceed accordingly. Now the entire trip has become a planned one and I feel am not a new person to kerala. All the replies are valuable and almost all suggested me about the time, train and rain factors. Will consider them all sure. Thanks a lot... Will reply once returned from there.

Pranams

Durga

Wish you all the best for your exams.

We are conducting a swayamvaram at Trivandrum. Please try to get a job in Kerala and we shall try to fix a girl for you in Kerala.

All the best

Dear all

Very sorry for my belated message. The trip was very much superb than I planned. I reached Cohin by 8;30 and from there took an auto and reached ernakulam bus stand (charged 20 rs). There I took a room (150 rs. I think quite costly). Then I went to Chottanikara (Initially went upto thiruvankulam and then to chottanikkara; to and fro). From there I returned to ernkulam by 1 and reached promptly the venue. The bus stand is infront the school itself.

After finsihing the exam, I went to ernakulam bus stand again and vacate my room. From there I got into thrissur bus and got down at Edapally and from there I went by Guruvayur bus to reach kodungallur. Actually before reaching kodungallur itself I saw Thiruvanchikulam temple from the bus window. But unable to stop the bus. (language barrier). Then I went to kodungallur temple itself and had good darshan of devi (Seevali time). From there I took an auto and reached Thiruvanchikulam (again 20 rs, so cheap I think) and there also saw seevali. The temple is almost typical tamilnadu temple. I saw the shiva and sakthi with muruga, vinayakar, durgadevi, etc.

From there again I went to kodungallur and got bus to thrisssur by 8 and reached thrissur by 9.30. I actually cancelled the return ticket for visiting Thiruvanchikulam. So getting ticket for returning turned a big issue. Atlast I got an ultradeluxe bus to salem and from there reached chennai in a DABBA bus (Reached here by morning(???) afternoon 1.30).

Thanks a lot for all for your valuable suggestions.

NOTE: I have not cleared the exam...:clap2:

Durga,

Very good for the trip.

Don't worry about this exam. You may get better things in future.

All the best

Dear Durga,
Another opportunity to visit Kerala and more temples and sights waits you in the form of next time exam. Cheer up. Hope rain hasnot disturbed youin the present trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back