• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Gothram

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a Brahmin girl marries a non-Brahmin who believes in Brahmins. They want to perform Upanayanam for their son. Can they do it? What will be the Gothram of the boy ??

Upanayanam is prescribed only for brahmins, Kshatriyas and Vaisyas. If the boy is not a brahmin but belongs to Kshatriya or Vaisya, then his Upanayanam can be performed by the boy's father, grandfather (father's father), father's brothers etc., who all will have the same gotra as the one in which the boy was born. In other cases, it is not sanctioned to perform Upanayanam of the boy and so the question of gotra will not arise.

Girl can donate her gothram to her husband.

Thats what my relative a brahmin girl did , when her christian husband wanted a gothra for house warming gruhapravesam rituals by hindu rites.

I do not know if one can do it for upanayanam or marriage

I frankly do not know what religion says.lol

A single brahmin girl here had a child by IVF, and the child;s father is unknown. She had the upanayanum for her son in the temple. The priest assigned the mother's gothram.

A learned member of this site who adopted Hinduism had the upanayanam for his son, he chose a gothram for that ceremony.

We have had various threads discussing gothram please read them and understand the term.
In the North India, many family do not know the gotheram, the priest assigns them a gotheram.

A single brahmin girl here had a child by IVF, and the child;s father is unknown. She had the upanayanum for her son in the temple. The priest assigned the mother's gothram.

A learned member of this site who adopted Hinduism had the upanayanam for his son, he chose a gothram for that ceremony.

We have had various threads discussing gothram please read them and understand the term.
In the North India, many family do not know the gotheram, the priest assigns them a gotheram.
hi

i heard that from north indian priest....kasyapa gothram is common to all...

In Vishakapatnam there is beautiful Balajee Temple on the shore. Most of the devotee who come there do not know their gotheram, and many are NB. When asked for their Gotheram by the priest they just shake their head. The priest who is doing the mantras by rote has to fill the blank spot in the chant, so he invents. Many were given Vishnu Gotheram, but just to break the monotony some were given Garuda Gotheram, and others were given Naga Gorthram.

Smt Suja.chand

Like sri tbs said you could pick Kasyapa Gothram for example.
Picking the Gotram and doing the rituals etc are the least important aspects.

Understanding the significance of the event and doing regular Sandhyavandanam by your son are more important aspects.

There is a thread on significance of doing Sandhyavandanam in the scholarly section which is focused not on rituals but universal values embedded in the practice.

All the best,

One of the Kanchi Acharyas, some years back, said that once a family has gone thru seven generations, importance to Gothram need not be given.

Is it right?

One of the Kanchi Acharyas, some years back, said that once a family has gone thru seven generations, importance to Gothram need not be given.

Is it right?

Most tabra families would have gone through 7 or even more generations by now. The Acharya might have said not in the context of the importance of gothram but some other aspect, I feel.

hi

in USA temples...generally many tamil NBs called as SHIVA OR VISHNU GOTHRAMS....many telugu NB families know their gothrams...

many north indian NBs called as KASYPA GOTHRAMS....ONLY ALL NEPALI FAMILIES KNOW THEIR GOTHRAM WELL...BECOZ

NEPAL WAS ONLY HINDU COUNTRY IN THE WORLD....

Last edited:
I feel shiva or vishnu is used to indicate they are worshippers of shiva or vishnu among NBs.

They have no rishi to bank on for gothram.

hi

in USA temples...generally many tamil NBs called as SHIVA OR VISHNU GOTHRAMS....many telugu NB families know their gothrams...

many north indian NBs called as KASYPA GOTHRAMS....ONLY ALL NEPALI FAMILIES KNOW THEIR GOTHRAM WELL...BECOZ

NEPAL WAS ONLY HINDU COUNTRY IN THE WORLD....

Nepal is not a Hindu country any more. That status was lost long time back.

Nepal is not a Hindu country any more. That status was lost long time back.
hi

i know...just read my lines again.....ONLY ALL NEPALI FAMILIES KNOW THEIR GOTHRAM WELL...BECOZ

NEPAL WAS ONLY HINDU COUNTRY IN THE WORLD....i said WAS ...NOT IS.....

hi

i know...just read my lines again.....ONLY ALL NEPALI FAMILIES KNOW THEIR GOTHRAM WELL...BECOZ

Noted. Thanks.

hi

As per the Aryan social organization in Indian sub-continent, the Sudras had no gotra and they just could not even have any gotra. (That is how our great 'abhivAdaye' became a passport for the higher castes.) Were there no equivalent castes to Sudras in Nepal? Skinning of animals killed for food purposes, leather workers, etc., were there in Nepal also and I feel therefore that such workers would have been treated as untouchables, Sudras, etc., in Nepal also.

I feel shiva or vishnu is used to indicate they are worshippers of shiva or vishnu among NBs.They have no rishi to bank on for gothram.

True..the whole Shiva or Vishnu Gotra for Tamilian NBs is like a fake gotra.I do not believe in this..that is why when I was in India once at a temple and did an Archana the priest in the temple asked me my Gotra and I said I have no Gotra.For a while he looked at me kind of surprised but I heard him recite Shubha Gotra when he did the pooja.Wonder why he did not just omit the Gotra part.

Last edited:
Dear Sangom ji,

Only today I saw this..cant stop laughing!

एकंसद्विप्रा नैव जानन्ति ।

Dear Sangom ji,

Only today I saw this..cant stop laughing!

एकंसद्विप्रा नैव जानन्ति ।
Is it not true, what with advaita, v.advaita, dvaita and all those gurus godmen/godwomen, pravachanakartas and so on describing each in his/her own ways? The rigvedic rishi was, possibly, euphemistically clever when he said "bahudhA vadanti etc."

True..the whole Shiva or Vishnu Gotra for Tamilian NBs is like a fake gotra.I do not believe in this..that is why when I was in India once at a temple and did an Archana the priest in the temple asked me my Gotra and I said I have no Gotra.For a while he looked at me kind of surprised but I heard him recite Shubha Gotra when he did the pooja.Wonder why he did not just omit the Gotra part.
I simply tell the priest to ask my wife about my gothra .such complicated info is beyond my simple mind. It is my theory that half the brahmins are srivatsa gothra.When in doubt use it.

Life is simple.

no sense in complicating it- they say in tamil , never look at rishi moolam or nadi moolam ie never think where anything originates from, follow the path of

convenience.

Toss a coin and decide vishnu or siva . Reserve the srivatsa option for a rainy day

The OP, I believe, refers to a brahmin girl marrying a non-brahmin boy and the couple now wanting to perform "upanayanam" or Poonal ceremony for the boy child born to this couple.

As clearly stated in post #3 above, upanayanam or poonal is possible, according to our Sastras only if the boy;s father is a brahmin, kshatriya or vaisya, in which case the father will know his gotra and the son also will belong to this gotra. In all other cases, if any poonal ceremony is done borrowing this or that gotra, it is all against sAstras and anybody may do anything today.

........... In all other cases, if any poonal ceremony is done borrowing this or that gotra, it is all against sAstras and anybody may do anything today.
Very true! Two events that I have seen in Sing. Chennai:

1. One Mr. Samson from the U S of A was named as Chiranjeevi. Shankar and had annaprAshanam and upnayanam ceremonies

just before he married a tambram girl! 12 sAsthrigaLs attended the nAndhi ceremony.

2. A girl from Thailand could bring only her dad with her, for her wedding with a tambram boy. So she was adopted by the mAmA

of the groom. Bride was clad in a madisAr saree and sat on the laps of her 'adopted' dad for the mAngalya dhAraNam!! :)

1. One Mr. Samson from the U S of A was named as Chiranjeevi. Shankar and had annaprAshanam and upnayanam ceremonies

just before he married a tambram girl! 12 sAsthrigaLs attended the nAndhi ceremony.

2. A girl from Thailand could bring only her dad with her, for her wedding with a tambram boy. So she was adopted by the mAmA

of the groom.
Bride was clad in a madisAr saree and sat on the laps of her 'adopted' dad for the mAngalya dhAraNam!! :)

hi

Bride was clad in a madisAr saree and sat on the laps of her 'adopted' dad for the mAngalya dhAraNam!! :)

KODUTHTHU VACCA STEP DAD......LOL

of the groom. Bride was clad in a madisAr saree and sat on the laps of her 'adopted' dad for the mAngalya dhAraNam!! :)
This is one way of increasing the number of tamil brahmins.

We can have Thais, Singapore chinese, Maldives natives, Myanmar tamils , some from lakhsdeep ,andhaman people having close resemblance and who can adopt our culture

easily . Of course american /canadian drop outs are the easiest to get due to many of our folks coming in contact with them. My friend and school mate got his daughter in

canada in an academic institution married off to a french canadian professor. The marriage was with ammi mudithal ,arundhathi parthal, mapillai azaippu and

mangalya dharanam with our priests officiating

It was well attended marriage with a lot of tamil brahmin elite participating in sankara madam in delhi

Last edited:
This is one way of increasing the number of tamil brahmins.

We can have Thais, Singapore chinese, Maldives natives, Myanmar tamils , some from lakhsdeep ,andhaman people having close resemblance and who can adopt our culture
easily . Of course american /canadian drop outs are the easiest to get due to many of our folks coming in contact with them.

Such an increase in B population may bring new approach / attitude to B customs, which may confuse or out-date the existing ones. Already we have couple of such things due to large scale imports from abroad - Hare Krishna Movement, ISKCON etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back