• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

God

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunshanker

Here are the full options for the poll
This is taken from the Book "God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins

1 Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C. G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'
2 Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there.'
3 Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'
4 Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'
5 Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I don't know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'
6 Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'
7 Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'

Last edited:
Si. Arun shankar, Greetings.

I did not take part in the poll. Not enough options. I believe in myself 100%. I know there is an universal energy; it's every where. I know I am connected to that energy. I know I have no faith in God. But I don't have enough choices in that poll.

Cheers!

What a pole yaar..

I can't even make a choice!LOL

Look at the 1st choice.

Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God.

I don't get it..what is this Strong Theist? That means there is some Mild,Milder Theist too?

And when something is 100% why is there still a probability?

The word "Probability" denotes an element of doubt...therefore the terminology "100% Probability" is technically incorrect!(we are not talking referring to statistics/mathematics here)

Last edited:
We can not really classify Theists..no one can quantify faith cos there is no gold standard or yard stick to measure Faith as to how much is actually needed or what is the limit.

After all even Lord Krishna said :

TEXT 40
nehabhikrama-naso 'sti
pratyavayo na vidyate
svalpam apy asya dharmasya
trayate mahato bhayat

In this endeavor there is no loss or diminution, and a little advancement on this path can protect one from the most dangerous type of fear.

Last edited:
What a pole yaar..

I can't even make a choice!LOL

Look at the 1st choice.

Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God.

I don't get it..what is this Strong Theist? That means there is some Mild,Milder Theist too?

And when something is 100% why is there still a probability?

The word "Probability" denotes an element of doubt...therefore the terminology "100% Probability" is technically incorrect!
Agreed
The first choice is 'I do not believe, I know.'

Philosophical probability is different from mathematical probability. In mathematics, probability can be between 0 and 1 or 0 and 100%. The probability is certainty then.

<p>
What a pole yaar.. I can't even make a choice!LOL Look at the 1st choice. Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. I don't get it..what is this Strong Theist? That means there is some Mild,Milder Theist too? And when something is 100% why is there still a probability? The word "Probability" denotes an element of doubt...therefore the terminology "100% Probability" is technically incorrect! ( we are not dealing with statistics/mathematics here...we are talking about God)</p>

In the introduction Harrison wrote for Swami Prabhupada's book Krsna, he says: "If there's a God, I want to see Him. It's pointless to believe in something without proof, and Krishna consciousness and meditation are methods where you can actually obtain God perception. In that way you can see, hear & play with God. Perhaps this may sound weird, but God is really there next to you."

While addressing what he calls "one of our perennial problems, whether there is actually a God", Harrison wrote: "From the Hindu point of view each soul is divine. All religions are branches of one big tree. It doesn't matter what you call Him just as long as you call. Just as cinematic images appear to be real but are only combinations of light and shade, so is the universal variety a delusion. The planetary spheres, with their countless forms of life, are naught but figures in a cosmic motion picture. One's values are profoundly changed when he is finally convinced that creation is only a vast motion picture and that not in, but beyond, lies his own ultimate reality."

Harrison firmly believed that "life on Earth is but a fleeting illusion edged between lives past and future beyond physical mortal reality." Speaking on reincarnation in 1968, he said: "You go on being reincarnated until you reach the actual Truth. Heaven and Hell are just a state of mind. We are all here to become Christ-like. The actual world is an illusion." [Hari Quotes, compiled by Aya & Lee] He also said: "The living thing that goes on, always has been, always will be. I am not really George, but I happen to be in this body."

The instruments that we have can only perceive relative reality, we do not have the capacity to see the absolute reality (Brahman or God) with the given instruments (our sense organs). So you want proof of existence of God, you have to acquire the necessary equipment.
Just as you need Infrared glass to see the heat given off by living things in the dark.

Our Mind Represents the World (and in fact only Senses a small fraction of Reality) and thus the World we see is an Illusion (Maya) and this Ignorance of the True Nature of Reality is Avidya. Conversely, liberation from ignorance to True Knowledge of Reality (Avidya, Prana) results in Nirvana (Moksa) a Freedom from Desire.

'In a psychological sense Maya is the human tendency to regard appearance as reality and reality as appearance. In an epistemological sense it signifies human ignorance concerning the difference between appearance and reality. In an ontological sense it refers to the creative power of Brahman.'
'At the higher level of comprehension it is possible to comprehend the ultimate oneness of reality; at the lower level, everyday experience leads us to think of reality as a multiplicity of individual persons and things and at this lower level there is no escape from samsara. Moksa, the release from samsara, is obtained only by an experiential realization of oneness at the higher level of comprehension. According to Sankara, the lower level of experience is Maya, often translated as illusion.'
'Release (Moksa) is not a mode of being which will be had after death in a special place or heaven. It consists in the transformation of the inner life which occurs after mystic union with the one, identical to direct awareness or knowledge (Vidya) of Brahman. It is not the destruction of the world but the shaking free from the false view of it which is Avidya.' (Collinson, Fifty Eastern Thinkers, 2000)

We do represent the world, a red apple is not really a red apple, it is a structure of many trillions of Spherical Standing Waves the size of the universe, whose Wave-Centers have evolved into this complex structure that has electrons / Wave-Centers trapped in particular frequency 'orbits' that resonantly couple with electrons in my eye due to oscillating interactions of their In and Out Waves. This particular frequency is represented to my mind as red. The Metaphysic of Space and Motion does not yet explain this representation, but it does explains the Cause of the Representation. Most importantly though, neither Space, nor (Wave) Motion are Representations, but are in fact 'What Exists' such that we can exist as Matter in Space and have a mind that 'Represents' these Spherical Standing Wave Motions of other Matter in Space.

Shri Arun Shanker,

God, in my belief, is not the GOD we usually believe. So I am a confirmed Theist in one sense and confirmed Atheist as far as the Poll options. My position is somewhat similar to that of Shri Raghy.

Shri Arun Shanker,

God, in my belief, is not the GOD we usually believe. So I am a confirmed Theist in one sense and confirmed Atheist as far as the Poll options. My position is somewhat similar to that of Shri Raghy.

Welcome back, good to see you sir.

இன்பமயமே!

பானை ஒன்று வேண்டும் நமக்குப்
பரமாத்மாவைப் புரிந்து கொள்ள.

பானைக்கும், அந்தப் பரமனுக்கும்
பாரில் என்ன தொடர்பு கூறும்?

மண்ணை நீரில் குழைப்பதனால்;
மண்ணும், நீரும் மிகவும் தேவை.

காற்றில் உலரவைப்போம்; எனவே
காற்றும் மிகவும் அவசியமானதே.

காய்ந்தால் மட்டும் போதாது;
வெந்தால்தான் உறுதி பெறும்.

எரியும் நெருப்பில் இட்டு, அதைக்
கரியாமல் சுட வைப்போம் நாம்.

பானைக்குள் ஆகாசம் உள்ளதைப்
பாமரனும் கூட அறிந்திடுவான்.

ஐம்பூதங்களின் உதவி இன்றியே,
அமையாது ஓர் அழகிய பானை!

ஐம்பூதங்களின் உதவி இன்றியே,
அமையாது உலக ஸ்ருஷ்டியுமே.

மாறுபாடுகளும் உள்ளன என்பதை
மறுப்பதற்கில்லை எனக் காண்போம்.

பானை செய்யும் களிமண் வேறு;
பானை செய்யும் குயவன் வேறு;

பானை என்பது முற்றிலும் வேறாம்.
பானை, குயவனோ, மண்ணோ அல்ல.

பானைக்கும், பரமாத்மாவுக்கும்
ஆன பேதங்கள் இவைகளே ஆம்.

அவனே இங்கு களிமண் ஆவான்,
அவனே இங்கு குயவன் ஆவான்.

அவனே இங்கு பானையும் ஆவான்.
அவனே மூன்று பொருளுமாவான்.

செயல், செய்பவன், செய்யப்படும்
பொருள் அனைத்தும் இங்கு, அவனே.

மனத்தில் இதை நினைவுகொண்டால்,
அனைத்துலகமும் இனி இன்பமயமே!

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி.

A GATAM AND THE GOD!

5.jpg

We need a gatam, to understand God!

What is the connection between a Gatam and God?

We will find it out!

To make a pot we need clay (Pruthivi) and water(appu).

After shaping the clay paste into a gatam, we set it out to dry in the air (Vayu).

Later it is cooked on fire (Agni) to make it stronger and water-proof.

Always there is aakaasam inside and outside the gatam.

Similarly God needs these five elements or pancha bootham for creation of the Universe.

There are also certain differences despite the similarities!

The clay is different, the pot maker is different and the pot is different.

But in the creation of the Universe, God himself is the material (clay), maker of the pot and the pot(creation).

Everything we see, smell, hear, touch and taste are expressions of God himself!

Oh my GOD!

Have you been reduced to this state of affairs??? :shocked:

Sowbagyavathy VR, Greetings.

God is not reduced. We people are elevated when discussing about God in a sensible discussion. This is one easy way to elevate ourselves. Even God has to come my level if IGod cares for me, if popular belief is to be believed. We all can't become jnanis for God to take notice of us.

Cheers!

2 Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that God/Goddess is there

Sowbagyavathy VR, Greetings.

God is not reduced. We people are elevated when discussing about God in a sensible discussion. This is one easy way to elevate ourselves. Even God has to come my level if IGod cares for me, if popular belief is to be believed. We all can't become jnanis for God to take notice of us.

Cheers!

God IS above us, below us, beside us, inside us and outside us.
Where is the need for HIM to come down to us?
He is the one who is below us and supporting us!!!

[h=1]ஈசன் பெருமை![/h]
மிக மிகப் பெரியவன் ஆயினும் உவந்து,
மிக மிகச் சிறியதையும் ஏற்பான் அவன்.
பாமரர், தாழ்ந்தவர் எனும்படியோ,
பண்டிதர், உயர்ந்தவர் எனும்படியோ,

ஆண் மகன், பெண் மகள் எனும்படியோ,
அறிஞன், அறிவிலி எனும்படியோ,
ஆண்டவன் பாரான் பேதங்களையே;
அனைவரும் சமமே அவன் பார்வையிலே!

நாம் அனைவரும் அவன் குழந்தைகளே;
நாம் மறந்தாலும், இதை அவன் மறவான்!
மண்ணில் புரண்ட மகனைக் குளிப்பாட்டும்,
மாதாவைப் போல, நம் பாவம் களைவான்.

ஓரடி வைத்து நாம் அவனை நெருங்கினால்,
நூறடி வைத்து அவன் நம்மை நெருங்குவான்.
மகிமைகள் புரியும் அவனை நெருங்க நெருங்க;
தகுதிக்கேற்றபடி அவன் தன்னைக் காட்டுவான்.

எறும்பு ஊரக் கல்லும் தேயும் என்பார்;
எறும்புகள் போல நாம் எத்தனை எடுத்து,
அக்கறையுடன் தின்றாலும், தீராத ஒரு
சர்க்கரைக் குன்று அவன், குணக் குன்றும் கூட!

வாழ்க வளமுடன்.
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி

THE GREATNESS OF GOD.

hand_of_god1.jpg

God is the greatest of all things and persons and yet He accepts with happiness the humblest thing we can offer humbly. He has absolutely no discretion. He does not differentiate between the intellectuals and the illiterates; the high and low in social status; the superior and the inferiors; the man and the woman. Every one is equal in His eyes.

We are all His Children. We may forget this fact and drift away from Him. But He never forgets this. Just as a mother will clean her baby which has become dirty, He will cleanse us of all our sins.

If if we take one step towards Him, He will take 100 steps towards us and come closer to us. The closer we are to Him, the better we understand His true greatness. He reveals Himself depending on the receptive power of the devotee.

His grace is so powerful that it can convert an illiterate cowherd into a world famous poet. It can make a dumb person speak, a cripples man walk and a deaf man hear. Every door that has been closed on us will be thrown open to us.

Even ants leave a mark on a hard stone when they walk over it a million times. But God is the mountain of sugar which never diminishes or wears out even if all the creations become ants and try to taste Him.

He is a mountain of sugar and also of kindness and compassion.

God IS above us, below us, beside us, inside us and outside us.
Where is the need for HIM to come down to us?
He is the one who is below us and supporting us!!!

Dear mami, Greetings.

You are contradicting yourself. In your message in post #12 you said "Oh my GOD! Have you been reduced to this state of affairs?"; For that I said God is not reduced, but we are trying to elevate ourselves by discussing about God. In my opinion, Your reply doesn't seem to address my post.

Cheers1

Dear mami, Greetings.

You are contradicting yourself. In your message in post #12 you said "Oh my GOD! Have you been reduced to this state of affairs?"; For that I said God is not reduced, but we are trying to elevate ourselves by discussing about God. In my opinion, Your reply doesn't seem to address my post.

Cheers1

Highlighted line means "Is your existence to be proved by a ballot system?"
Neither is God reduced not are we elevated. We live in the same plane inseparably!
I think now you will agree that I have replied to your point.

False choices ..Assumes a model ; does not offer the choice of 'none of the above' ... cannot vote!

hi arun
i voted for strong......still can't define like science/mathmatics.....like ' neti/ neti" theory....u heard this theory....means this is

not....this is not....i think renu can explain much more abt neti neti theory....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back