• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

God does exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmanyan

The following Story was forwarded to me today. Don't know for sure whether the story is true or fantasy. But it has a message to offer. Though it is little lengthy, please spend a few minutes to read:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Tea Shop

A group of fifteen soldiers led by their Major Sahib were on their way to the post in Himalayas where they would be deployed for next three months. Another batch, which will be relieved, would be waiting anxiously for their arrival so that they could fall back to safer confines of their parent unit. Some would proceed on leave and meet their families. They were happy that they were to relieve a set of comrades who had done their job.

It was a treacherous climb and the journey was to last till the next evening. Cold winter with intermittent snowfall added to the torture.

If only someone could offer a cup of tea, the Major thought, knowing completely well that it was a futile wish.

They continued for another hour before they came across a dilapidated structure which looked like a small shop. It was locked.

It was 2 o'clock in the night and there was no house close to the shop where the owner could be located. In any case it was not advisable to knock any doors in the night for security reasons.

It was a stalemate. "No tea boys, bad luck" said the Major.

The Major told the men to take some rest since they had been walking for more than three hours now.

Sir, this is a tea shop indeed and we can make tea. We will have to break the lock though.

The officer was in doubt about the proposed action but a steaming cup of tea was not a bad idea. He thought for a while and permitted for the lock to be broken. The lock was broken.

They were in luck.

The place was a shop indeed and had everything required to preparing tea, and also a few packets of biscuits.

The tea was prepared and it brought great relief to all in the cold night. They were now ready for the long and treacherous walk ahead of them and started to get ready to move.

The officer was in thought. They had broken open the lock and prepared tea and consumed biscuits without the permission of the owner. The payment was due but there was no one in sight. But they are not a band of thieves. They are disciplined soldiers.

The Major didn't move out without doing what needed to be done. He took out a Rs. 1000/- note from his wallet and kept it on the counter, pressed under the sugar container, so that the owner sees it first thing when he arrives in the morning.

He was now relieved of the guilt and ordered the move.

Days, weeks and months passed. They continued to do gallantly what they were required to do and were lucky not to lose any one from the group in the intense insurgency situation.

And then one day, it was time to be replaced by another brave lot. Soon they were on their way back and stopped at the same shop, which was today open with the owner in place. He was an old man with very meager resources and was happy to see fifteen of them with the prospect of selling at least fifteen cups of tea that day.

All of them had their tea and spoke to the old man about his life and experiences in general, selling tea at such remote a location. The poor, old man had many stories to tell all of them, replete with his faith in God.

"Kya Baba, yadi Allah hota to kyaa aap ke jaisa 'Allah kaa bandaa' is haal main hota, said one of them"; moved by his poverty and faith in God.

"Nahin Sahib, aise mat kaho, God actually exists. I got the proof a few months ago.
"I was going through very tough times because my only son had been severely beaten by the terrorists who wanted some information from him which he did not have. I had closed the shop early that day and had taken my son to the hospital. There were medicines to be purchased and I had no money. No one would give me a loan from fear of the terrorists. There was no hope, Sahib.
"And that day Sahib, I had prayed to Allah for help. And Sahib, Allah walked into my shop that day.

"When I returned to my shop that day and saw the lock broken, I thought someone had broken in and had taken away whatever little I had. But then I saw that 'Allah' had left Rs. 1000/- under the sugar pot. Sahib, I can't tell you what that money was worth that day. Allah exists Sahib, He does.

"I know people are dying every day here but all of you will soon meet your near and dear ones, your children, and you must thank your God Sahib, he is watching all of us. He does exist. He walked in to my shop that day and broke open the lock to give me the money I desperately needed. I know He did it."
The faith in his eyes was unflinching. It was unnerving. Fifteen sets of eyes looked at their officer and read the order in his eyes clear and unambiguous, 'Keep quiet.'

The officer got up and paid the bill and hugged the old man.
"Yes Baba, I know, God does exist - and yes the tea was wonderful."
Fifteen pairs of eyes did not miss the moisture building in the eyes of the Major, a rare sight.

And the real truth is that any one of us can be a God to somebody.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Sir,
Siddhar Sivavakiyar song goes to say

NATTA KALLAI DEIVAMENDRU, NAALU PUTPAM SAATHIYE;
SUTRI VANDHU MONEMONAVENDRU SOLLUM MANDHIRAM EADHADAA.
NATTA KALLUM PESUMO?NATHAN ULLIRRUKAYIL;
SUTTA SATTI SATTUVAM KARICHUVAYA ARIYUMO?

It is said that 'Daivam Manusha Rupena'. Help rendered to the poor is considered to be help rendered to the God inother words Makkal Sevaiye Mahesan Sevai.
Vazhga valamudan

A good story. Wish and hope it is true if for nothing else, it reinforces human faith in God, whatever be the religion. apsarathy

I think the most important message is "the real truth is that any one of us can be a God to somebody."

We are all having the power of god within us but we don't realize. Man-made religions have led humans astray for millenia and fed humanity with ideas of a god separate from Man himself, Allah, Jesus, Jehova, Krishna, Narayana and so on. All these are imaginations and the real god is within each one of us, and, if only we want, we can be a god to anyone anytime.

I look at it this way:

For those who believe in Him God not only exists, he helps them through their difficult times. He made the evil in the major win over the good in him and that is why he left the thousand rupees behind. For the old man his belief in God did not go waste. God helped him through the major. For those who do not believe in God and thus mutilate their own atma swaroopa there is neither salvation beyond nor happiness hither.

Cheers.

For the majority of people the faith in God is like the pendulum of a clock.

Swing it to the right(when we get what we want)..He exists.

Swing it to the left(when we do not get what we want)...He does not exists.

The following Storywas forwarded to me today. Don't know for sure whether the story is true orfantasy. But it has a message to offer. Though it is little lengthy, pleasespend a few minutes to read:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really touching story. Here is a link to a possible web source:
http://beautifulwe.blogspot.com/

and http://www.facebook.com/ProudToBeAnIndian.in/posts/622207797794737

Last edited:
Indeed a beautiful story. I loved the link too,posted by Naina Marbus, about stilling our minds and listening. Tnx for sharing!

Doctor,
Peoples faith in God may swing according to their needs of the hour. But God never changes. Let us see what Vadalur Vallalar says. This song used to be the prayer song in the Municipal Elementary School where I started my education 77 years ago.

"வள்ளலார் பாடுகிறார்....

கல்லார்க்கும் கற்றவர்க்கும் களிப்பருளும் களிப்பே
காணார்க்கும் கண்டவர்க்கும் கண்ணளிக்கும் கண்ணே
வல்லார்க்கும் மாட்டார்க்கும் வரமளிக்கும் வரமே
மதியார்க்கும் மதிப்பவர்க்கும் மதிகொடுக்கும் மதியே
நல்லார்க்கும் பொல்லார்க்கும் நடுநின்ற நடுவே
நரர்களுக்கும் சுரர்களுக்கும் நலங்கொடுக்கும் நலமே
எல்லார்க்கும் பொதுவில்நடம் இடுகின்ற சிவமே
என்அரசே யான்புகலும் இசையும்அணிந் தருளே

இறைவன் எல்லாவற்றிற்கும் பொதுவாக இருக்கிறான். படித்தவன், படிக்காதவன், வல்லவன், இளைத்தவன், தன்னை மதிப்பவன், தன்னை மதிக்காதவன் நல்லவன், பொல்லாதவன் என்று அனைத்திற்கும் சாட்சியாக நடுவில் நிற்கிறான்."

Regards,
Brahmanyan,

Bangalore.

Equally true is the alternative:

When people are wallowing in prosperity, they have no need for God. When adversity strikes, then it is quite the opposite.

சொப்பன வாழ்வில் மகிழ்ந்துஸ்வாமி உனைமறந்தார்- அந்தோ
அற்பப் பணப்பேய்பிடித்தேஅறிவிழந்து அற்பர்களைப் புகழ்வார்
பொருள் விரும்பி நாவால் பொய்மொழிவார் - தனது வாழ்
நாளெல்லாம் பாழ்செய்வார் – .......
By பாபநாசம்சிவன்

Last edited:
எல்லார்க்கும் பொதுவில் நடம் இடுகின்ற சிவமே

அன்பும் சிவமும் இரண்டென்பர் அறிவிலார்
அன்பே சிவமாவதாரும் அறிகிலார்
அன்பே சிவமாவதாரும் அறிந்தபின்
அன்பே சிவமாய் அமர்ந்திருந்தாரே

திருமூலர் திருமந்திரம்

Last edited:
Doctor,
Peoples faith in God may swing according to their needs of the hour. But God never changes. Let us see what Vadalur Vallalar says. This song used to be the prayer song in the Municipal Elementary School where I started my education 77 years ago.

"வள்ளலார் பாடுகிறார்....

கல்லார்க்கும் கற்றவர்க்கும் களிப்பருளும் களிப்பே
காணார்க்கும் கண்டவர்க்கும் கண்ணளிக்கும் கண்ணே
வல்லார்க்கும் மாட்டார்க்கும் வரமளிக்கும் வரமே
மதியார்க்கும் மதிப்பவர்க்கும் மதிகொடுக்கும் மதியே
நல்லார்க்கும் பொல்லார்க்கும் நடுநின்ற நடுவே
நரர்களுக்கும் சுரர்களுக்கும் நலங்கொடுக்கும் நலமே
எல்லார்க்கும் பொதுவில்நடம் இடுகின்ற சிவமே
என்அரசே யான்புகலும் இசையும்அணிந் தருளே

இறைவன் எல்லாவற்றிற்கும் பொதுவாக இருக்கிறான். படித்தவன், படிக்காதவன், வல்லவன், இளைத்தவன், தன்னை மதிப்பவன், தன்னை மதிக்காதவன் நல்லவன், பொல்லாதவன் என்று அனைத்திற்கும் சாட்சியாக நடுவில் நிற்கிறான்."

Regards,
Brahmanyan,

Bangalore.

The penultimate line is also rendered as "எல்லோர்க்கும் பொதுவில் நடம் ஆடுகின்ற நடமே" in some books, I have read.

Doctor,
Peoples faith in God may swing according to their needs of the hour. But God never changes.

Dear Sir,

I agree....this is something that I have to learn.

I have a tendency to think of God only when I am happy.

When faced with adversity or some sad phase in my life..I tend to tune off for a while and tell myself to get back to happy mode again and be a cheerful devotee of God again.

I somehow feel that I will only want to present my happy state to God(just like how a wife only likes to present a beautiful face to her husband) and not burden God with my sorrow so that He can concentrate on someone else who might be experiencing greater sorrow.

I know this sort of thinking of mine is somewhat limiting God in my mind that I don't want to "burden" Him with my sorrow cos God can not be "burdened".

Last edited:

Dear Renu,

If one has belief in God, it never changes like a pendulum! Most of the people in adversity say,

'kaDavuLE! unakku kaNNE illaiyA?'. They pray God to 'see' their difficulty and save them! :)

Renu will love this poem for sure! My dad got it from a drug company advt. when I was young.

The poem is still fresh in my memory because V R mam made a screen with this poem embroidered! :thumb:

God and the Doctor.
---------------------

God and the doctor
We alike adore;

But only in danger
Not before!

The danger over
Both are alike requited;

God is forgotten
And the doctor slighted!

Dear Renu,

If one has belief in God, it never changes like a pendulum! Most of the people in adversity say,

'kaDavuLE! unakku kaNNE illaiyA?'. They pray God to 'see' their difficulty and save them! :)

Dear RR ji,

When I was a kid my mum used to tell me to pray to God to ask Him to help us get over any difficulty but I used to think "poor God..everyone burdens Him but what about Him? who cares for His feelings?"

That's why when I was a kid I used to pray to God as "Hello How are You".

My mum used to say "what kind of way is praying is that?"

You see we seldom think how God would "feel".

I am reminded of my kutty student by name Aditya.

As soon as he enters my class room which is also my pooja room, he would say, 'Hi Krishna!'

to the picture of Krishna. While leaving, he would say, 'Bye Krishna'! :wave:

When I was young I was exposed to Siva Vakkiyar's poems ..

Here is his version of how God Exists

நட்ட கல்லை தெய்வம் என்று
நாலு புஷ்பம் சாத்தியே
சுற்றி வந்து முனுமுனுவென்று
சொல்லும் மந்திரம் ஏதடா?

நட்ட கல்லும் பேசுமோ நாதன்
உள்ளிருக்கையில் ?
சுட்ட சட்டி சட்டுவம்
கறிச்சுவை தான் அறியுமோ

கோயிலாவது ஏதடா? குளங்களாவது ஏதடா?
கோயிலும் குளங்களும் கும்பிடும் குலாமரே!
கோயிலும் மனத்துளே குளங்களும் மனத்துளே!
ஆவதும் அழிவதும் இல்லைஇல்லை இல்லையே.

ஆடுகின்ற எம்பிரானை அங்குமிங்கும் என்றுநீர்
தேடுகின்ற பாவிகாள் தெளிந்ததொன்றை ஓர்கிலீர்
காடு நாடு வீடு வீண் கலந்து நின்ற கள்வனை
நாடிஓடி உம்முளே நயந்துணர்ந்து பாருமே.

Renu will love this poem for sure! My dad got it from a drug company advt. when I was young.

The poem is still fresh in my memory because V R mam made a screen with this poem embroidered! :thumb:

God and the Doctor.
---------------------

God and the doctor
We alike adore;

But only in danger
Not before!

The danger over
Both are alike requited;

God is forgotten
And the doctor slighted!

Dear RR ji,

You read my mind..I was thinking to myself that very seldom a doctor gets a patient who asks a doctor 'How are you doctor?"

Everyone comes to unload their problems to a doctor but only very rarely we get a person asking a doctor "how are you?".

Dear Sir,

When faced with adversity or some sad phase in my life..I tend to tune off for a while and tell myself to get back to happy mode again and be a cheerful devotee of God again.

I somehow feel that I will only want to present my happy state to God(just like how a wife only likes to present a beautiful face to her husband) and not burden God with my sorrow so that He can concentrate on someone else who might be experiencing greater sorrow.

I know this sort of thinking of mine is somewhat limiting God in my mind that I don't want to "burden" Him with my sorrow cos God can not be "burdened".

You cannot burden God indeed.

However much depends on how you relate with God.

If you relate with Him as a child to a parent, as a son/daughter to a Father (not father), you would enquire 'How are you?'. You would say to God, 'Good Morning Dad' when you wake up in the morning and 'Good Night Dad' when you go to bed.

Dear RR ji,

When I was a kid my mum used to tell me to pray to God to ask Him to help us get over any difficulty but I used to think "poor God..everyone burdens Him but what about Him? who cares for His feelings?"

That's why when I was a kid I used to pray to God as "Hello How are You".

My mum used to say "what kind of way is praying is that?"

You see we seldom think how God would "feel".

God created Men and Women in His own image.

God indeed feels. Hence we also feel.

God indeed gets angry at unrighteousness, guilt, wickedness, vice, injustice. Hence we also get angry.

God is jealous. Hence we are also jealous.

God is passionate about loving us. Hence we are passionate in love.

Dear Sir,

Dear Doctor,

I could understand your thoughts well. Life is a chain of experiences, some good and some bad. I am fortunate enough to get into contacts with some of the great sages and saints of my time. May be it is my luck. The following episode may not answer your queries directly. Still it may open a fresh thought.

When I was a college student I got the opportunity of organizing "Upanishad Gnana Yagna" of Swami Chinmayananda in Coimbatore in 1954.(His first in Coimbatore and Seventh All India). At that time he was a dynamic young Sanyasi 38 years of age, just returned from The Himalayas (Uttarkashi) and activities of Chinmaya Mission was yet to get geared up. I was also not experienced in organising a religious meet. Consequently, in the initial stages of the Yagna, I had to face a lot of failures, financially and logistically. This was reflected in my face. One day Sri Swamiji asked why I looked remorse and sad. I explained about the persistent failures I had to face. He laughed aloud and asked me whether I had seen a crowbar which is used to dig hard surfaces. I answered in affirmative. He told that a crowbar gets sharpened by getting hit by continuous hammering. Similarly in our life also we get stronger and stronger by facing difficult situations and failures. I need not tell latter days of Yagna passed off wonderfully well, with lot of devotees attending and ended a grand success.

God is always with us both in success, as well as in failures.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back