• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Genuine or Cover up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pl read the article below:
The Hindu (11.9.2012)
Indian parents facing criminal investigation over infant’s injuries

Narayan Lakshman

In the case of Indrashish Saha, a one-year-old who was taken into the custody of state child protective services after suffering serious head injuries, the parents, Debashish and Pamela, are facing a criminal investigation by the Morris County Prosecutors Office in New Jersey.

Even as New Jersey’s Department of Children and Families (DCF) was ordered by a court that “the child be immediately made a ward of the court and be placed in the [court’s] immediate custody, care and supervision,” the Indian government, through its embassy here and consulate in New York City, brought the issue to attention of State Department and has requested U.S. authorities to consider steps to restore the child to his parents.

While the State Department is expected to discuss the case with the DCF, the consulate will also pursue the matter directly with state officials, who informed Indrashish’s parents last Friday that they would only have two hours of supervised access to their son per week. In its order, which is in The Hindu’s possession, the court said it had limited the Sahas to weekly visitation rights and such visits shall only occur under the supervision of an authorised official.

On August 9 the Indian couple rushed Indrashish first to a doctor and then a hospital, shortly following a call that Mr. Saha received at work from his wife, frantic and in tears, to tell him that Indrashish had fallen off his bed.
Speaking to The Hindu Mr. Saha said that when he reached home he found his son slipping in and out of consciousness. When the doctors at Morris Town Memorial Hospital (MTMH) did a CAT scan, they discovered not only an obvious injury from the alleged fall, but they also discovered a ligament tear near his neck area and a blood clot in his eye.

While reports suggested that the infant had both a subdural hematoma and a retinal clot, the court order noted that the medical scan indicated a prior subdural hematoma and “various doctors stated that the injuries Indrashish sustained were not consistent with the explanation that Mr. and Mrs. Saha gave, but were consistent with Shaken Baby Syndrome.”

According to Mr. Saha his son had a fall on June 2, while still in India, and the ligament tear and blood clot dated back to that first incident. He said over the telephone that neither he nor his wife were aware of those injuries until the doctors treating him at MTMH pointed them out.

Mr. Saha confirmed that the doctor then mentioned that Indrashish’s symptom observed at the time “were similar to Shaken Baby Syndrome” and consequently an investigation into the family’s situation began on August 10.
When contacted the New Jersey DCF said that confidentiality requirements forbade the agency from discussing case specifics. However Kristine Brown, Director of Communications and Public Affairs at the DCF added, “I can tell you in general, the DCF removes children from their homes ONLY when there is serious concern about their safety.”
She further said that by law, the DCF must investigate all reports of alleged abuse or neglect and remove children from their home only when it was necessary to protect them. “The Department will provide services to try to keep families together safely when possible, and reunify families as soon as possible,” she said.

The government body’s website clearly shows that included among the criteria for diagnosing Shaken Baby Syndrome are “constant crying, stiffness, sleeping more than usual, unable to wake up, seizures, dilated pupils, decreased appetite, vomiting, difficulty breathing, blood spots in eyes.”

The site goes on to warn new parents about shaking babies: “It's normal for babies to cry, even when you are trying to comfort them... It is also normal for a caregiver to become frustrated. No matter how stressed, tired, angry or frustrated you feel, you must never, ever shake a baby. Shaking a baby can kill or cause serious injuries. The message is simple: Never shake a baby”

Is shaking a child bad ...We all were shaken by our parents in a Thooli (long cloth hanging from the ceiling) in a bedsheet or mother's saree.....Our ways of child rearing are completely different from the Western ways...Sounds silly, but simply true

Last edited:
Is shaking a child bad ...We all were shaken by our parents in a Thooli (long cloth hanging from the ceiling) in a bedsheet or mother's saree.....Our ways of child rearing are completely different from the Western ways...Sounds silly, but simply true

dear sir,

Such injuries are not sustained by rocking a child to sleep in a Thooli.
Subdural hematoma and retinal blood clot are sustained when a child is violently repeatedly shaken.

From the injuries..the case sounds genuine.
A bleeding disorder needs to be ruled out too cos in those with bleeding disorders even normal movement can cause injury and bleeding.

But the give away point is the ligament tear..in bleeding disorders there is no ligament tear.
Ligament tear is quite consistent with trauma to the child.

renuka is correct....rocking a child or gently moving him is not a cause for concern. What is a problem is parents who, in anger or in an attempt to discipline the child, shake them violently - this has been proven quite soundly to have possibly fatal effects on children.

renuka is correct....rocking a child or gently moving him is not a cause for concern. What is a problem is parents who, in anger or in an attempt to discipline the child, shake them violently - this has been proven quite soundly to have possibly fatal effects on children.

Childbirth and motherhood can wreck havoc on a person's emotions.
After child birth most woman get post partum blues and can feel real moody and tired.

In extreme cases sometimes mothers are not even aware that their actions are causing injury to a child.

hi

Kannan Oru Kai Kuzhanthai - - YouTube

When I was a teenager I used to put my full grown dog in a Thooli and rock him to sleep.
He used to love it and I used to sing lullaby for him too.

When I was young my mother used to sing parasakthi janani when I was in the thooli...It was a lullabi & as soon as my mother sang a few lines, I would go to sleep

TBS Sir,

Thanks for remembering the evergreen melody "Kannan Oru Kai Kuzhandai" by Ilayaraja in the movie Bhadrakali in the mellifluous voice of P.Suseela & K.J .Yesudoss...The song was a superhit & it still continues to mesmerize with the super lyrics by Vaali

When I was a teenager I used to put my full grown dog in a Thooli and rock him to sleep.
He used to love it and I used to sing lullaby for him too.

O. ..my God.. Then what you will do for your Ghost friends...??

'O'..My dear pisase...'O'..My dear Saiththane...'O'..My dear Ratchasane/Ratchsiye...Thoongi Tholayen...

I have a doubt will the Ghosts sleep in the night..? ...You know better..!!

TVK

O. ..my God.. Then what you will do for your Ghost friends...??

'O'..My dear pisase...'O'..My dear Saiththane...'O'..My dear Ratchasane/Ratchsiye...Thoongi Tholayen...

I have a doubt will the Ghosts sleep in the night..? ...You know better..!!

TVK

LOL!

You know I had even celebrated my dog's birthday.
on July 7th 1986 I decided to have a birthday party for my dog.

I called my close friend and her family.
I bought a cake for my dog and held his paws and cut the cake for him.

He loved all the attention and was shaking hands with everyone who came for his party.

I used to love my dog lots..that's why I used to sing him lullaby too.

He once saved me from being attacked by a wild monkey.

A wild monkey chased me once and I fell down flat on my face when I tried to run.
I was so scared to get up and saw the monkey jumping in the air to land on me and my dog saw it and jumped mid air and fought with the monkey and the monkey ran away.

He was really a good dog and nice guy too.
Very religious dog..will attend all prayers in house.

I used to put vibuthi on his forehead daily also.

hi

Kannan Oru Kai Kuzhanthai - - YouTube

It is the language. When you put a child in a tuli, you Gently rock the baby.
When you violently shake the child to cause damage to the child you are committing a criminal act.

So when you go to the hospital in a western country and tell the doctor that your child is injured due to shaking they will arrest you.

post 10. All saints like Ramanar, sai baba, liked and treated them well. If we love them they also reciprocate in the same manner and even more than us. In some houses the pet dog is treated as their son/daughter.

Infants have very weak neck muscles and large and heavy heads in proportion to their bodies. In addition, because the infant brain is immature and needs room to grow, there is naturally a virtual space between the skull and brain to allow for development. Violently shaking an infant can cause the brain to move within the skull, resulting in cerebral contusions (bruising of brain tissue) and shearing (tearing) of blood vessels. (Shaken Baby Syndrome Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - What are the symptoms and signs of shaken baby syndrome? on MedicineNet)

The above url will give a more complete picture of SBS.

I agree that in India mothers (and also fathers) shake the small infants violently to show their anger and thinking that the infant will be afraid and so will obey what they desire that infant to do. Perhaps we will never know how many crores of children have suffered this. Of course we have a ready answer - karmaphala or fate!

LOL!

You know I had even celebrated my dog's birthday.
on July 7th 1986 I decided to have a birthday party for my dog.

I called my close friend and her family.
I bought a cake for my dog and held his paws and cut the cake for him.

He loved all the attention and was shaking hands with everyone who came for his party.

I used to love my dog lots..that's why I used to sing him lullaby too.

He once saved me from being attacked by a wild monkey.

A wild monkey chased me once and I fell down flat on my face when I tried to run.
I was so scared to get up and saw the monkey jumping in the air to land on me and my dog saw it and jumped mid air and fought with the monkey and the monkey ran away.

He was really a good dog and nice guy too.
Very religious dog..will attend all prayers in house.

I used to put vibuthi on his forehead daily also.

hi renu
he should be TB in his previous birth....lol

When I was young my mother used to sing parasakthi janani when I was in the thooli...It was a lullabi & as soon as my mother sang a few lines, I would go to sleep

TBS Sir,

Thanks for remembering the evergreen melody "Kannan Oru Kai Kuzhandai" by Ilayaraja in the movie Bhadrakali in the mellifluous voice of P.Suseela & K.J .Yesudoss...The song was a superhit & it still continues to mesmerize with the super lyrics by Vaali
hi sir,

Parasakthi Konju Mozhi Song - YouTube

Mr. vgane,

What was the intent of your original post.
I think Mr. Sangom presented a valid point. Like I said sometimes language can cause confusion.
But this is a serious subject and all parents should pay attention.

Mr. vgane,

What was the intent of your original post.
I think Mr. Sangom presented a valid point. Like I said sometimes language can cause confusion.
But this is a serious subject and all parents should pay attention.

It is definitely a very critical subject & our Indian pediatricians have to understand the seriousness of this shaken baby syndrome...It is lack of understanding of this which may cause serious problems...

A thooli having on a kayiru becoming a thookukayiru is something our Indian mothers are not aware of...

Let this post be a harbinger for better & safer child rearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back