• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Freedom/Free Speech is Eternal & like Breathing Itself !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the heights of Arab spring days, i happened to watch a BBC program where a muslim arab said that "freedom & free speech is like breathing & one cannot live without it"

Seeing some members fighting over who said what & what is right, I thought this will remind us on what is the most important.

People have fought & died for freedom/free speech right through history & it is our responsibility to preserve it for the future.

My view is that - we should all support free speech at all times !! the only thing to be moderated should be "any abuse against any individual or religion"

The moderator is doing a terrific job here, & he is applying the rules & regulations fairly & correctly.

But the question is "are the rules & regulations in this forum curbing free speech" ?

Last edited:
In the heights of Arab spring days, i happened to watch a BBC program where a muslim arab said that "freedom & free speech is like breathing & one cannot live without it"

Seeing some members fighting over who said what & what is right, I thought this will remind us on what is the most important.

People have fought & died for freedom/free speech right through history & it is our responsibility to preserve it for the future.

My view is that - we should all support free speech at all times !! the only thing to be moderated should be "any abuse against any individual or religion"

You have a point but not everyone can see it that way..free speech should be for everyone and no one should have the "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" syndrome.

Last edited:
You have a point but not everyone can see it that way..free speech should be for everyone and no one should have the feeling that "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" syndrome.

Hi Renuka,

Let them have that feeling. My point is that if some one thinks they are superior, so be it as long as they dont abuse anyone, it is okay for them to post it.

yes, it is disgusting to see if anyone posts saying they are better than others, but we should allow it.

My view curbing freedom is a far more dangerous thing, so we should uphold others view even if it is plain disgusting or nonsense !!

Cheers,
JK

Hi Renuka,

Let them have that feeling. My point is that if some one thinks they are superior, so be it as long as they dont abuse anyone, it is okay for them to post it.

yes, it is disgusting to see if anyone posts saying they are better than others, but we should allow it.

My view curbing freedom is a far more dangerous thing, so we should uphold others view even if it is plain disgusting or nonsense !!

Cheers,
JK

Dear JK,

I didnt mean about a superiority feeling of some but what I meant is that rules and regulations apply for all and no one is "more 'equal to another".

Dear JK,

I didnt mean about a superiority feeling of some but what I meant is that rules and regulations apply for all and no one is "more 'equal to another".

Hi Renuka,

Absolutely agree - rules & regulations applies to all equally & the moderator is doing a terrific job here !!.

But the question is are the rules correct ?, are the rules curbing the freedom of the members ?

Cheers,
JK

Hi Renuka,

Absolutely agree - rules & regulations applies to all equally & the moderator is doing a terrific job here !!.

But the question is are the rules correct ?, are the rules curbing the freedom of the members ?

Cheers,
JK

Dear JK,

Actually there is no such thing as freedom of speech in this world..all of us are accountable for what ever we say.Dont you think so?

Dear Sri Jaykay767 Ji,

Forget about Arab Spring and democracy.

Please think about what I am going to ask you:

Do you think the 'Freedom of Speech' equally applies to all the inhabitants in YOUR household?

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
Dear JK,

Actually there is no such thing as freedom of speech in this world..all of us are accountable for what ever we say.Dont you think so?

I would rather err on the side of freedom than otherwise. for eg, do u notice that no one can talk anything against the Gandhi family. There seems be a unwritten understanding in the media not to say anything wrong against them. when people said negative things about the Gandhi family, Kapil Sibal has launched a legal action against facebook, Google etc..

thats why it is a dangerous thing to curb freedom. Of course there should not be any personal abuses against anyone & religion.

Infact in the US, they allow complete freedom to talk bad about any religion. !!

Dear Sri Jaykay767 Ji,

Forget about Arab Spring and democracy.

Please think about what I am going to ask you:

Do you think the 'Freedom of Speech' equally applies to all the inhabitants equally in YOUR household?

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sir,

Absolutely !.

yes, in the past, women had very less freedom in our conservative families - mine included.

But today, i can say, people in my family have equal freedom !!.

Cheers,
JK

I would rather err on the side of freedom than otherwise. for eg, do u notice that no one can talk anything against the Gandhi family. There seems be a unwritten understanding in the media not to say anything wrong against them. when people said negative things about the Gandhi family, Kapil Sibal has launched a legal action against facebook, Google etc..

thats why it is a dangerous thing to curb freedom. Of course there should not be any personal abuses against anyone & religion.

Infact in the US, they allow complete freedom to talk bad about any religion. !!

Dear JK,

Honestly I feel that freedom can be interpreted differently and its oriented to time,place and person.

I think we are actually having lots of freedom in this forum..when I first joined TB forum I thought that there is "too much freedom" but I got used to it too cos you have to understand some of us come from countries which have very strict laws.

Sometimes when there is too much freedom we lose the ability to self moderate(moderate ourselves).

Certain restrictions imposed on us which appear "curbing freedom" are actually instilling discipline in the long run.

Thats the reason why we have Law and Order..imagine if it was a free free world??? Hell would shut down and shift its Headquarters to Bhu Loka!!!

Really?!

So, it would be okay when and if your dear wife talks to you in a language dotted with four letter words?

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sir,

Absolutely !.

yes, in the past, women had very less freedom in our conservative families - mine included.

But today, i can say, people in my family have equal freedom !!.

Cheers,
JK

Really?!

So, it would be okay when and if your dear wife talks to you in a language dotted with four letter words?

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sir,

I am with you. Any & all personal abuses to individuals must be moderated, infact all websites in the USA do the same.

Reading the posts, I felt - "that it is just not personal abuses but people were objecting to posts becos they offered radical/opposing views, & that the rules curbed their freedom".

Cheers,
JK

Dear Sir,

I am with you. Any & all personal abuses to individuals must be moderated, infact all websites in the USA do the same.

Reading the posts, I felt - "that it is just not personal abuses but people were objecting to posts becos they offered radical/opposing views, & that the rules curbed their freedom".

Cheers,
JK

dear JK, keep aside personal attacks...

how about this right?

do you thing free speech means, the right to shout 'fire' in a crowded theater?

Dear Sri KRS,

I am with you in your comments and wish to add a couple of words in this regard.

It should be noted, free speech is a precious freedom given to all to use carefully within the boundaries of decency and morality, no one has the right to abuse this freedom. It is all
the same whether it is in a family or society. When it goes out of control, conflict starts.
Using abusive language or degrading other's capability or knowledge also amounts to
misuse of this precious freedom.
Politeness and moderation are very important when we interact with others.

With Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Dear Sri Jaykay767 Ji,

You see, you answered me too soon.

The four letter words are not towards you, but it is just the way your imaginary wife talks. But you do not like the four letter words. Will it be fine for you to accommodate that? More importantly how about any of your imaginary children? Will this affect them, even though it is not directed towards them?

Please, don't take my comments as ridicule. I am just trying to say that words not meant to be hurtful, sometimes hurt.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sir,

Cheers,
JK

Dear JK,

Radical views are fine and no one is opposing to that..its just that sometimes the so called radical views come with a hidden agenda targeted at a particular religion or community..then it can also be termed a "personal attack".

Radical views should also come from worthwhile experiences in life and not just cry sour grapes when things didn't go right in life and launch attack on others who might still want to follow religion and culture.

Last edited:
A child cannot be made GOOD by making it happy!

But a child can be made HAPPY by making it Good!

The first is a case of unlicensed freedom which is sure to

corrupt the child in the long run!

Anything it wants should be given to it. Anything it says and

does is always correct. No one should question it!

But this can't be the right attitude.

The second case the child is taught the personal limits of itself

as well as that of the others around it.

It is taught to differentiate the good from the bad.

It has to forgo some of the things it loves for some reasons,

sometimes.

It will be properly trained to face the precarious and

unpredictable human life more confidently and as a good

citizen. By being good the child is happy and also those who

associate with it.

One man's freedom must not disturb another man's freedom.
I have the freedom to swing my hands as long as I do not slap another person by the swing.
I can't argue that I used my freedom and the other person got slapped since he came too close to me.

Let us ASSUME for argument's sake that the freedom of speech IS curbed here.

Despite the fact see the upheavals and turmoil happening all the time.

So let really free, who could face the consequences??? :scared:

It will be worse than the traffic at the four road junction-when the signal lamps do not work due to the power failure.

Chaos of the highest order with several casualties too !

Every right has some responsibility attached to it. You also have the right to abide by the rules or go find another site. We all try to find our place under the sun.

There is a case of triplets who had an issue among themselves as to who was the eldest! :decision:

I thought that they fought for their privilege and was shocked to learn that neither the first born nor the last born wanted to be the eldest son! :nono:

It looked crazy enough until I heard the reason for the tussle which was even crazier. :loco:

Being the first son has some responsibilities attached to it and both these boys wanted to shirk it off!

What is the world coming to???
:shocked:

At least here we are debating about "freedom of speech"..have anyone been in a situation where even your freedom to think was curbed??

Well I have..When I was a intern I had a consultant who used to find fault with whatever I do.
He even used to find fault with the way I parked my car.
When I park my car in the parking lot I reverse park it so that when I take it out again I can just drive off easily without reversing becos traffic builds up as the day goes.

Ok he used to say that a sign of a person who wants to go home fast.

Then he said that I dont have a humble walk..He was telling me to walk a bit bent so that I will appear humble(can you imagine a doc telling a person to walk a bit bent?")

Ok now the best part..One day he told me that he knows that I think he is dumb.
I was shocked and told him "doc I have never thought that of you..why do you think so ?"
He said "I get the feeling that you have this thought in your mind"

I told him No..I have never had such thoughts and then I stood there looking at him wondering why he thinks so and then he said.."There..I know that now you are thinking I am dumb and stop that thought right now!!!"

So tell me which is worse?? Curbing freedom of speech or Curbing Freedom of Thought?

But when he told me "stop that thought right now"..thats the first time I thought "OMG what a dumb guy he is"

Last edited:
Dear Srimathi Renuka Ji,

If I may say so, he was not curbing your thoughts, he was trying to curb his own.

Regards,
KRS

But when he told me "stop that thought right now"..thats the first time I thought "OMG what a dumb guy he is"

renus,

i can relate to this.

here in this very forum, there is one, who is stalking me, and making silly comments.

i am inclined to go a little more graphic than you, but decorum demands that i desist.

If a stupid person makes all others look stupid, we have to put our foot down so that he does not embarrass the whole community.
So sometimes you have to curb stupidity, not freedom of speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back