• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

food and receipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respected Member

1. Soak urad dhal well for atleast 2 hours. Providing it enough time is essential for its softness

2.While grinding the paste, instead of adding water, try the same with icebergs. This will give you soft texture and also good taste. The urad dhal will also comes huge (Ven kaanum).

3. To get soft, puffy Vadas the batter should be very fine without grains.

4. In hotels, they add baking soda for softing the batter. But is not good for health. So, try to avoid that.

Pranams

Thankyou durgadasan sir,

But how that crispy layer comes on the surface that makes the difference, actually in house made vadas it is not coming like that.

Regards,

Nityashreeram

Thankyou durgadasan sir,

But how that crispy layer comes on the surface that makes the difference, actually in house made vadas it is not coming like that.

Regards,

Nityashreeram

Sow.Nithya Shreeram,

I am not even understanding the question. In my experience, Ulundhu vadai made in home (long long time ago) was much better tasting any hotel made ulundhu vadai. Constant Oil temperature and oil viscosity is very important. (In the hotels, at least in my days, the persons who could not ay the bill were made to grind for idali or vadai. I think, you should write out bills to your family members at the breakfast table. If they don't pay, get them to grind for ulundhu vadai. worth a try. you have nothing to lose!:) ).

Cheers!

I love eating Ulunthu vadai but I can't make it properly. It always break away when I put it in the oil. I don't know why this happens. I've tried grinding the paste a bit rougher but it still breaks :(. I don't want mine to taste like hotel vadai. I just want it to not break in the oil. Any tips?.

amala,

perhaps you are using too much or too little water while grinding. and do check the temperature of the oil so that it is not too hot or too less.

regards.

I don't know how to prepare `Ulundu Vadai' but since I am associated with manufacture of food processing equipments, I observed the following.

There are two seperate appliances Mixie and Wet Grinder.

Mixie operates at very high speed, (More than 10,000 revolutions per minute). The mixie blade cuts the grains and generates high temperature. The paste is already half cooked and will be hard. Hence Idli/Vadai also becomes hard.

Wet Grinder operates at 150 revolutions per minute and grinds the paste. It doesn't generate heat and the paste will be soft after grinding. The resultant Idli/Vadai will also be soft.

In South India, we use two seperate appliances - Wet Grinder for Idli/Vadai and Mixie for other applications. Appliance manufacturers in North India use to argue with us `why a separate wet grinder is required'. I use to explain them the softness of Idli/Vadai obtained through slow speed grinding process which could not be obtained by high speed cutting process of Mixie.

My above observation may be half baked and hence please excuse me if I am wrong.

All the best

I love eating Ulunthu vadai but I can't make it properly. It always break away when I put it in the oil. I don't know why this happens. I've tried grinding the paste a bit rougher but it still breaks :(. I don't want mine to taste like hotel vadai. I just want it to not break in the oil. Any tips?.

Using grinder is the best option as mentioned by Ramani Uncle. Using mixie will also be a good option for small quantities as small quantities wont get grind well in grinder. Anyhow, this is the first time am hearing the vada is getting broken. Check with the texture of batter. It should be viscous enough and certianly not watery or solid. Mix the batter well with your hands before oiling. Keep enough oil (bit more itself) as ulundu vada needs lot of oil.

All the best.

Eating ulundu vada yummmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Pranams

Thank you HHJi, Durgaji, and Ramani Uncle for your tips.I only use wet grinder for grinding. I shall try again.

Good spirit... Now itself my tongue is thinking of it. Immediately after going home, should ask my mom to do that... That tooooo making it as Thayir vadai (my favourite), sambar vadai, rasavadai and all........ Yummyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Amala ji
Dont forget to use icecubes along with water. Also give some more time and get the batter like butter.
Pranams

Cam anybody tell the trick,

Ulunthu vadai if we make at home, how ever we make it is not giving the taste like hotel, how to get that taste if we make at home. Any special things to be added apart from the usual things, there is something special which the cooks are doing can anybody let me know this

Reg,
Nithyashree

SOME PODIKKAI WHICH HELP U TO GET CRISPY VADAI

1.Do not add too much water while making the batter,lesser
the better. gatti paruvam(semi solid)
2.Please remember that the water should be sufficient enough for the mixie motor to run smoothly.
3. Grind for a good amount of time, until the batter becomes fluffy and you see some bubbles on the top.
4. Do not add anything like ginger, coriander leaves etc while grinding. Only salt should do it.
5. Keep this urad daal batter aside for 3-4 hours and let it ferment a bit.
6. While deep frying make sure that the oil if of the right temperature.
7. Add little fine sooji (rava) to the batter and mix well before deep frying.
8. Take small amounts of batter while deep frying.
9.if required a pipch of baking soda

Thanks iyyeram,

I shall request my wife this thread and get valuable tips from you.

All the best

dear all,
i come from a family of hotelier from kolkata and i have seen my father in law advising not to soak the ulundu for a very long period at most 1/2 hour or killu padam that is when u pinch it, it should break now drain it and as usual add all other ingredients like ginger, green chillies and some karuveppilai and in the mixie just put half of the quantity of water to the amount of ulundu now this you should master with the right amount of water so that u dont have to add again, as it runs if there is a swirl and it is grinding without much tugging and moving then the consistancy is right if is it tugging just sprinkle a little water and grind it, now add the rest of the ingredients that is thengai pallu, or milagu, uppu and so on but adjust the green chillies in accordance and keep the oil and at the right temperature that is not smoking consistancy but before that and make the vada which when rolled in hand should be like rolling a ball, and not subside, it would subside if the water is more, so all these play an important roll of a good vada at home, it will be so spongy that you will forget hotel for good, like how every one says health should be first may be they add a little rice to get the crisp on the outer cover but then the vada may loose its softness...do give it a shot and let me know...sunkan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back