• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Endhiran

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

Endhiran.

I was hooked just on hearing the concept and so was one of those thousands of tamil Torontonians this week, queueing up like I did in india of yore, jostling and exchanging stories, amidst the ruckus of screaming children only to dash into the theatre for good seats when the doors opened (here all seats are priced the same).

A fantastic movie. Though only a nominal fan of rajani, I lovvved him in this movie. He did not show his age, but a lot of his panache and dash, matured over the years, like bottles of fine vintage.

The science fiction story was believable, rajani believable as a scientist and awesome in his dual role as a robot. The technical masterpieces were the product of studios of Hong Kong, shanghai, Hollywood and all believingly juxtaposed into modern day Chennai with its glimpses of its old edifices as the IG of Police office or OTS Meenambakkam. Awesome.

The last few scenes of robot fighting can stand on its own against the best of Schwarzenegger’s Terminators.

Aish was a perfect airhead – pretty face, empty head and wiggling like the earthworms on the morn of a chilly night.

ARR was disappointing in the sense, while the techno music and drums were his usual top notch, I found the songs dull and only one worth hearing over again (Kaathal anukkal …).

This movie should be seen in big screen, with where available digital sound with Dolby … enjoy. Maybe chennaiwood has arrived in international scene with a bang after all…

In Toronto, there were 6 theatres screening in tamil, 3 in hindi..and all were sold out during the weekend.

Now the chauvinist TBs can say, that all this is due, only due to the Brahmin infusion into the MK household (Murasoli, the maran brother’s dad married Mallika a TB) :) :) .. technically the brothers are 50% TBs right?

say the movie in hindi coz my cousin doesnt know tamil. it was gud.
aishwarya acting amazing she was portrayed well. costumes. makeup excellent
music average. song picturization not good. kilimanjaro awful.
script direction excellent
action special effects very good.stunts gr8.
rajni acting amazing
hindi dubbing of tamil lyrics below average awful couldnt understand certain words(using chamdi(for skin)wont go well with ppl)
comedy nyc.
hallmark of tHe movie shankar direction and rajni acting aiswarya looks stunning.
last but not the least the msg in the end of robot able to take bad qualities by taking his parts but human keeping them was eyeopener. i certainly learnt a lot frm it. ending/last scene was gr8.
last but not the least the gr8 kalanithi maran for making finance available 163 crores whoh lods of money.
i have given shanker feedback (Director Shankar Online – The OFFICIAL Website » ASK ME)

lots of my tamil frnds(includng my amma) cursing me for watching it in hindi. well i did it for my caring cousin but will watch once more in tamil.
some bad things:a scene where robot goes to a colony to stop loud speakers where all ppl r black in colour. portraying of non brah in a certain way/typecasting in bad taste/ never in positive light/comics. i dont know abt others but im totally against this. traditionally even in hindi films sikhs have been portraed in poor light but now things r changing. hope tamil film industry will also be mature.

plus portraying child birth in such a detail i think won't go well with lots of conservative ppl(but one thing i must add that when u c a women undergoing labour pain u forget lust for sexual pleasure and understnd/respect her feelings)/plus lots of lafangas who come to c a women portrayed(semi nude dresses/kissing/bed rooms) in a certain as in mahesh bhatt(who makes it exclusively for them) films.

and that eposode where he goes to a colony to save a bathing girl frm bathroom and brings her in nude position. even though they morphed still ppl r conservative.
give oskaR TO RAJNI'S MAKE UP ARTIST.

im surprised to know that i marans r brahs. i thought otherwise. anyways it doesnt matter to me as they r not goin to give me any penny. :)

hope they try for a sequel. Enthiren 2 or return of the robot/robot 2/ etc etc.

nandrigal.

Last edited:
Mallika case has to be discussed in the thread 'Brahmin Girls narrying NBs'. Maran brothers do not qualify even for fraction of percentage for TB by this marriage. But they are always pseudo Brahmins. Even Rajini doesn't become TB by his marriage to Latha.

If Endhiran is good for viewing in big screen, the people behind it will not make big fuss about its availability in CD market. Nowadays people do not just throw their money just because it is a mega production. Only CDs incite majority for going to movie.
Endhiran.
Now the chauvinist TBs can say, that all this is due, only due to the Brahmin infusion into the MK household (Murasoli, the maran brother’s dad married Mallika a TB) :) :) .. technically the brothers are 50% TBs right?

Mallika case has to be discussed in the thread 'Brahmin Girls narrying NBs'. Maran brothers do not qualify even for fraction of percentage for TB by this marriage. But they are always pseudo Brahmins. Even Rajini doesn't become TB by his marriage to Latha.

If Endhiran is good for viewing in big screen, the people behind it will not make big fuss about its availability in CD market. Nowadays people do not just throw their money just because it is a mega production. Only CDs incite majority for going to movie.

Why are you not protesting against Ashwin, a brahmin, for marrying Soundarya (Rajanikant's daughter) ?

Technically speaking, the Maran brother are Chandalas (brahmin mother + shudra father = chandala).

Why are you not protesting against Ashwin, a brahmin, for marrying Soundarya (Rajanikant's daughter) ?

Technically speaking, the Maran brother are Chandalas (brahmin mother + shudra father = chandala).

happy,

murasoli maran married mallika, who is a brahmin. would their children dayanithi and kalanithi, not be 50% brahmins by ancestrage?

also, dayanathi, our federal minister, is married to priya, from the hindu family household. will it not make their children, 75% brahmins by ancestrage, even though for official government enumeration they may be listed otherwise.

happy, you know very well, where i stand against casteism and the baggage that goes with it.

so, please treat this as a mild non taunting statement from me :).

you know something, when i left in india in the early 1970s, it was a moribund society, without any hope, and a cast structure so stifling that i could not simply live there.

now dipping into my 60s, i look at our society somewhat in a forlorn way - the exciting things that are happening there, not only to the economy, but also th the vast upsurge of intercaste and interstate marriages.

these are exciting times for a social revolution - india might pull off its greatest social revolution and i dream that in a few decades, caste will just be a nomenclature identity without rousing ill feelings.

these mixed marriages produce cute and innovative functions. my physiotherapist is of chettiar heritage from karaikudi, born and brought up in toronto. he is married to a punjabi girl.

sure enough, they wanted hindu rites, but neither was comfortable with a vathiar (no hindi) or a panditji (no tamil). compromise? hired a hindu priest from the west indies - proficient in sanskrit and english and provided a running commentary.

again these two wanted the important ceremonies only & gave him max 1 hour - sapthapathi, thali, and a couple of others.

they ignored the muhurtham concept, started the wedding at 5 pm finished at 6, and then immediately reception, party and western style disco dance (but with tamil hip hop, bhangra and english hiphop which the bride & groom preferred).

they are expecting their first baby - with tamil style seemandham, and punjabi style functions (don't yet know the details).

i find these soooo interesting and enriching our culture and the ultimate tool of integration.

in another thread i had written the tale of a TB girl marrying a gounder, her second attempt. what i was surprised, was how quick the girl's extended family accpeted the groom, all based on strong signals of support and encouragement from her parents.

which only convinces me, that it is the parents who have the greatest power to accept and whose lead the bulk of relations and friends will follow.

incidentally, from what little i know, the gounders are among the most open minded community i know. way back when the actor surya married the muslim jothika, i was surprised at the outpouring of pride and support for the wedding.

it would be good for tamil brahmins, as a community, to discard officially their retiscence at inter caste marriages. after all, these are a fact of life for a significant number of the younger generation and it is time the old fogies discarded their angavastram of silence, and come out openly that the exclusivity mindset of the olden days are history now. maybe i am leaping my faith a bit, but i am confident that
21st century is a turning point for fresh reformation and revival of hinduism, what with youngsters like you blazing the lead :) :)

Dear Sri Kunjuppu Ji,

What a delightful read sir, as always....in a way your post brings out the fact that India is so full of myriad beautiful cultural groupings.

Reg the Gounder guy you mentioned, God bless him and his kaadhal. Few people in this world are blessed with such ability to love and accept.

Again, it is a reminder that people these days are unwilling to remain in a marriage for the sake of caste alone.

For a long time sir, i cud never understand what are these 'lows' and highs'. For that matter, i cud hardly understand 'caste'.

With a very elderly lady in mind i cud never imagine ppl saying negative things about brahmins.

But i have learned...slowly but surely...

Me also needed to wake up to the fact that it is not about relationships and people...its about the shastras alone..

Something inside makes me feel men like Batuprasad are wonderful people in real life but on the social platform, the shastras have ended up making a socially inimical person out of him..

Even thru the course of history, somewhere along the way there were bad apples in every caste basket who either resorted to shastras or to politics and changed the course of things to be...

The sooner we throw these varna gradings into the bin the better off everyone wud be. The better it wud be for brahmanism, the culture (surely no sane folks wud want brahmanism, the labour laws, anymore).

The labour laws sir, are designed to exclude not include. And according to Manu, if a brahmin married a chandala, his / her kids are also 'technically' chandalas.

So unfortunately, dayanidhi and kalanidhi maran's kids wud be chandalas. And so wud be Rajanikant's kids and soundarya rajanikant's kids as well.

If we were living in say around 1810 instead of 2010, under the peshwas and marathas, they wud have been relegated to the roles of chandalas.

Thankgod for democracy and secularity..

Regards.

Last edited:
Dear Sri Kunjuppu Ji,

What a delightful read sir, as always....in a way your post brings out the fact that India is so full of myriad beautiful cultural groupings.

Reg the Gounder guy you mentioned, God bless him and his kaadhal. Few people in this world are blessed with such ability to love and accept.

Again, it is a reminder that people these days are unwilling to remain in a marriage for the sake of caste alone.

For a long time sir, i cud never understand what are these 'lows' and highs'. For that matter, i cud hardly understand 'caste'.

With a very elderly lady in mind i cud never imagine ppl saying negative things about brahmins.

But i have learned...slowly but surely...

Me also needed to wake up to the fact that it is not about relationships and people...its about the shastras alone..

Something inside makes me feel men like Batuprasad are wonderful people in real life but on the social platform, the shastras have ended up making a socially inimical person out of him..

Even thru the course of history, somewhere along the way there were bad apples in every caste basket who either resorted to shastras or to politics and changed the course of things to be...

The sooner we throw these varna gradings into the bin the better off everyone wud be. The better it wud be for brahmanism, the culture (surely no sane folks wud want brahmanism, the labour laws, anymore).

The labour laws sir, are designed to exclude not include. And according to Manu, if a brahmin married a chandala, his / her kids are also 'technically' chandalas.

So unfortunately, dayanidhi and kalanidhi maran's kids wud be chandalas. And so wud be Rajanikant's kids and soundarya rajanikant's kids as well.

If we were living in say around 1810 instead of 2010, under the peshwas and marathas, they wud have been relegated to the roles of chandalas.

Thankgod for democracy and secularity..

Regards.

happy,

i do not know who batuprasad is but i know several guys of brahmin heritage here, who scratch their skin, would be hitler's willing servants. to them, i think shastras are just a stick to lean on their prejudices. and prejudices, are taught, and not born with.

what is sad here, is that we are prejudicing ourselves against our own kind. these guys are soooo dense that for some of them the world does not go beyond the superiority of the brahmins.

to share something with you... these days i give them good. i start off by telling them that i am a fan of periyar, and have no patience for this type of parpanism. you can imagine the reaction, but i go gusto and have long since shun my natural retiscience to discuss social issues.

i do not consider this part of hindu religion. to me it is more a reflection of social prejudice, and i should say, that the younger generation of hindus brought up in canada, do not , and absolutely do not have any concept of caste, that i know of. even the most orthodox parents have gracefully accepted the marriage of their son or daughter to whites, north indians, one muslim (this from a most most traditional guy who changed his tune overnight to brotherly love between religions :)).

i think manu should be consigned to the garbage heap of history. and is increasingly being done so. these years might be his last ditched effort for respect, and respect he would not get from any decent person.

thank you.

One suggestions to all the friends of this forum:

The short form used for Tamil Brahmins as TB some how does not sound or look alright to me.

May be because it is associated with a disease which was once considered as incurable.

Can we change it to Ta.Br ?

This will also avoid the ambiguity of T.B standing for Telugu Brahmin!

even in Tamizh the lyrics are names of places (alien to normal tamizhians) sung as poem?!! or english words peppered with tamizh.
(may be i am an idiot, i don't understand the tamil )
regards and with due apologies to all
eswaran

well folks let us not derail the topic in question. we are discussing enthiren the robot not marans or caste system or better shortforms for tamil brahmins or tamil language.
Whether marans are brahmins or not the fact is that they run a mammoth media empire and whether we like it or not we have to live with it for generations. And even Rajni himself is marathi manoos his real name being shivaji rao gaekward.

lets all of us ppl of this mother earth lost in the materialistic world join together to sing praises of the gr8 ultimate superstar thala rajnikant :rockon:. lets congratulate him and shanker for this masterpiece. :clap2:

let us all create kavithai's praising them for their feat and sing in their glory. :sing:

Last edited:
Tamizh can be writtten as TamiL'.

l is for laksham, laddu etc,

L is for the harder sound as in paLLam, veLLam etc

and L' for the zha in azhagu, pazham etc.

absolutely visa.

i have started using the term tambram which should be ok, i think. :)

One suggestions to all the friends of this forum:

The short form used for Tamil Brahmins as TB some how does not sound or look alright to me.

May be because it is associated with a disease which was once considered as incurable.

Can we change it to Ta.Br ?

This will also avoid the ambiguity of T.B standing for Telugu Brahmin!

Dear Mr. Kunjuppu,
Thank you for accepting my suggestion and actually improving it by suggesting a better word.
Now that you have Okay ed it the others are likely to fall in line.
The word Tambram actually sounds better!

with warm regards,
V.R.

I never protest any marriage. A marriage happened are happened and are destined the way it has to be. I only indicated that Caste system is based on Father's caste.

Robat regeneration and Robatsepians are all also has to be accepted and accomodated in to society. I don't understand as to why this movie is asking for legal ban for itself in its climax.

Shabby story and week climax makes this utterly unimpressive. I will not go to theater for seeing it!

The first half of Enthiran was OK. But at the end of movie had a slight head ache and felt empty. I thought my 10 year old son would like the second part, but he said, 'I ROBOT' was cool. Enthiran seems to be a blend of Shahruk starrer 'Darr' in theme and IRobot for the technical treatment. The humanoid is wasted for another 'Raavana'.

Enthiren the robot has Broken all records.
India Biggest Grossing Movie.
Biggest Blockbuster.
Larger than life concept presented in Indian culture.
Forced the Bollywood to Watch like mute spectators.
Established Rajni as ultimate superstar of all time.
Shanker as the great Director.
Destroying all records.
Time to be proud of them.

Rajni Vazhga. Shanker Vazhga. Robot Vazhga.

Last edited:
Enthiren the robot has Broken all records.
India Biggest Grossing Movie.
Biggest Blockbuster.
Larger than life concept presented in Indian culture.
Forced the Bollywood to Watch like mute spectators.
Established Rajni as ultimate superstar of all time.
Shanker as the great Director.
Destroying all records.
Time to be proud of them.

Rajni Vazhga. Shanker Vazhga. Robot Vazhga.

:) :)

Sri Kunjuppu Sir,

You have conveyed a lot of words by inserting two smiling "Robots!!". I am in Mumbai and also one of those people watched the movie on the second day itself. First day I was travelling and hecne the second day. In fact on the first day I was in Malaysia where this film was screened in about 80 theatres (all theatres of Indian origin all shows (daily 5) only this movie). Amazing for an actor - who is "Marathi Manoos" as some other member mentioned - to unite all the people of Tamil origin across the world. Opinion may differ about the film - I for one who liked the movie from start to finish - but this film has certainly made tamil film industry to be proud of one of their production. Also, one should not forget the great writer Sujatha who was the person behind this basic story line.

Long Live Sujatha!!!

Sri venkat ji, I was only trying to say that tamil society is much much big than non brah issue. There are a lot of vividness in it(marvari,gujrati,telegu,mallu,tulu,tibetan,north indians, punjus, muslims, christians and u name it) .Its an totally open and free society.
Some one talked about non brah v/s brah in this thread so I made this view that even Rajni origin is Maharashtra so lets not make it a caste,religion,ethnicity issue. You failed to see the backdrop of the comment.
Didn't mean to disrespect the ULTIMATE SUPERSTAR OF THE MILLENNIUM THALA.
RAJNI ROCKS. MIND IT I SAY INDIAN PEOPLE.
INDIAN PEOPLE RISE UP FROM DECADE OLD IGNORANCE AND RECOGNIZE THE ULTIMATE SUPERSTAR RAJNI. WORSHIP HIM.
I GIVE TO ALL INDIANS A TRUE MANTRA. CHANT IT NUMEROUS TIMES A DAY TO SHOW YOUR LOYALTY TO THE DEMI-GOD.

ஓம் ரஜினி சுப்பர்ச்டாராய நமஹா.
ச்வாஹா

Last edited:
As such Dharmasasthra is used only for Brahmin bashing by Daliths etc and Brahmins are not in any way connected with it.

How this movie justifies Rs200 Crore for production? The publicity budget itself seems to be running to Rs50 Crore. This means about 1Crore ticket sales. It is like paying people to watch this movie. It is definitely not like other Rajni movies like Arunachalam or Muthu. It is not going to interest second viewing. I feel just a tactical distribution has been done to realize sales.

Why Enthiran's Production cost is very high.

It is high because the estimated sales was high. Why?

It is because the distributors were ready to book their copy for five times the value of Chandramukhi sales. Then What?

Guaranteed sales facilitated Maran to budget high for production cost since such guarantees gets easy credit. Then?

Sankar tried many tricks to spend the money in production but later only publicity could consume the budgeted amount. All the english channels and some international channels also agreed to support the venture. Result?

The movie will certainly run for good number of days with good crowd. But more than 40 to 50 percent of the crowd is arranged crowd with publicity gimmicks. It is like organizing crowd for political Raleigh.
In the dharmashastras, the caste system does not depend on the father's caste ALONE. It depends on the varna combinaton of the mother and the father.

nsp,

may i please give you some of the atleast believable sources of news about enthiran. these are two of the many articles in north american media about this movie

SUPERSTAR Rajinikanth!: The biggest movie star you've probably never heard of. - By Grady Hendrix - Slate Magazine

News: ENTHIRAN (ROBOT) Could Be Profitable Before A Single Showing

one has only to read through these articles to understand why the movie was so expensive (read best international technical talents) among other things. ARR does not come cheap either. Neither do Rajani or Aish. OK?

movie distributors cannot afford to run infintely at a loss ie rent theatres and play the movie. theatre owners demand money for screening. the producers took a big risk with this movie. it could have been a super flop, after all no one really knows why some films are successful and others not.

it may be a marketing gimmick to release in so many theatres, but the hype sure worked. in toronto canada, the movie is running in 6 mainstream theatres for tamil (with english subtitles) and 3 in hindi.

for me the biggest thrill was the techno scenes superlayed on dear and lovable chennai. maha thrills for me, it was.

nsp, ii think, it will be good for you to back up some of the allegations of corruption and money laundering. but in enterprise of this kind, is bound to wag jealous tongues.

one reaction that i was very surprised was the recent editorial in dinamani.

IdlyVadai - ??்?ி??ை

this is supposedly about the 'monopoly' moves by the maran brothers, by releasing this movie in 900 out of 1500 theatres in tamil nadu, hence shutting out other poorer producers effectively for deepavali release.

first of all, this movie is being released well before deepavali. next, this movie could have been a big big flop and at this point no one knows how many theatres would still run this film. let us atleast give some credit to some folks for thinking big.

theatre owners, i believe, are paid by the week to rent the movie. if there is no collection, no vasool. ok? the audience every where in the world are a finnicky bunch. they come in droves or they stay away. all it takes is a few bad reviews and word of mouth.

for enthiran they flocked the movies. all the folks i know, including yours truly, are waiting for another couple of weeks, prior to a second visit. how about that?

dinamani, ofcourse by comparing vasan's behaviour re chandralekha is comparing apples to oranges. the times and movies are of completely different genre. the comparison does not hold water.

the mischief monger in me, cannot but wag my tongue, at yet another 'jealous' piece of envious பார்ப்பன ஏடு :) :)

whatever it may be. all the tambrams i know, including a few of their westernized children is flocking to see the movie, standing in que for about an hour, and exchanging chit chats about thalaivar.

i have a north indian colleague whose parents were from bihar, but whose father worked for ashok leyland. this guy grew up in madras, speaks tamil better than me, and is married to a maharashtrian girl. he plans to take his wife, not to Robo (hindi version) but to see (in his own words) அசல் தலைவர் in tamil (his marathi wife can watch the english subtitles :))

one of the oft used curse words in my home was chandala & chandali. my sympathies for all the chandalas and chandalis of this world :)

one of the oft used curse words in my home was chandala & chandali. my sympathies for all the chandalas and chandalis of this world :)
It is a common curse-word in practically all homes i think.. :D I heard Vadivelu using "sandala" as a curse-word in a movie once (forgot which one).

Considering the fact that there are no vedic kshatriyas and vedic vaishyas anymore, a chandala wud mean anyone born from a brahmin mother and a non-brahmin father.

The list of chandalas is pretty long actually. Some prominent folks wud include either the person himself / herself or the children of

1) Udayanidhi Stalin
2) Sentamarai Stalin
3) Dayanidhi Maran
4) Kalanidhi Maran
5) Aishwarya Rajanikanth
6) Soundarya Rajanikanth
7) Kids of Ashwin Ramkumar (when they arrive)
8) Children of Karthi Chidambaram

During caste-census taking, hope they are truthful enough to mention their caste as per the shastras..

As such Dharmasasthra is used only for Brahmin bashing by Daliths etc and Brahmins are not in any way connected with it.

How this movie justifies Rs200 Crore for production? The publicity budget itself seems to be running to Rs50 Crore. This means about 1Crore ticket sales. It is like paying people to watch this movie. It is definitely not like other Rajni movies like Arunachalam or Muthu. It is not going to interest second viewing. I feel just a tactical distribution has been done to realize sales.

Why Enthiran's Production cost is very high.

It is high because the estimated sales was high. Why?

It is because the distributors were ready to book their copy for five times the value of Chandramukhi sales. Then What?

Guaranteed sales facilitated Maran to budget high for production cost since such guarantees gets easy credit. Then?

Sankar tried many tricks to spend the money in production but later only publicity could consume the budgeted amount. All the english channels and some international channels also agreed to support the venture. Result?

The movie will certainly run for good number of days with good crowd. But more than 40 to 50 percent of the crowd is arranged crowd with publicity gimmicks. It is like organizing crowd for political Raleigh.
NSP,

I agree. Despite all the initial excitement, there is no saying whether the film distributors will reap a profit or end up in loss. For his previous giant flop, Rajnikant is reported to have made good the losses of distributors. Actual modus operandi will be secret, of course.

The fact that the movie industry in India grows on illicit money, is a public secret. Hence movies becoming one channel for laundering is also very true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back