• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Eeya Chombu Rasam Unique to TBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do have a problem with newer tastes/cuisines, cos we always tend to bench mark them with 'Mama's food', an ideal Idli/Vada/Dosa/Appam. This issue is specifically applicable to grown up men, cos we were always (seen as) 'Mama's boys'...................

Many a marriages broke on this single subject 'wife dont know,how to cook!!'..Im sure she knows how to switch on the oven and boil water.. For sure the learned wife knows how to distinguish between coconut oil and gingely oil, if not by specifc gravity..... but atleast by her snake kind nostrils with jacobs organ(which can sense the hubby's ciggy smell,miles away)..Then,whats so great about taste and cooking, except for adding few ingrediants as said in the recipe.One dont need any rocket science to make an Idli. So,why all the fuss, men are making about taste..

Hmm!! The definintion of 'Taste' yields to another corollary,ie 'Cultivate The Taste'..

sapr,

recently, i heard that some guy in my extended family, on assignment in new york, went to india, got himself an arranged marriage wife.

to his dismay, he found out that she did not know how to cook. his new mother in law, very sweetly explained, that her beloved daughter, had always expected the husband to cook.

you can imagine, even these days, what a great topic for the tongues to get wagging.

i demurred.

whether it be love marriage or an appa-amma sponsored one, the kitchen is the next best place to develop intimacy, only next to the bedroom.

the process of cooking together, tasting the ingredients, giving opinions and the follow up smooches, should be among the highlights of newlyweds.

unfortunately, our boys appear to have missed this very opportunities mile high. they are often very contented to have a leave-alone attitude when it comes to the kitchen.

there are two reasons why i find this with disdain. the first, is what i mentioned above.

the other, is the unfair chauvinistic attitude that cooking is the sole domain of women.

in any household, the ritual of preparing food, should be shared, with the partner most interested in the process, taking the lead.

people like me, who had the experience of living alone before marriage, had the opportunity and necessity to cook for ourselves. it was indeed a pleasant surprise dish that we served our brides on joining us from the old desh.

even today, i consider, my sambhar, rasam, arachu kalakki or puLi inji on par with my wife, only because she says so. and savours it with a gusto. food, when cooked by others, always appear to taste better.

the biggest faux pas that our sometimes idiot boys do, is to compare the wife's food (usually unfavourably) to their mother's. what idiots these are, i do not know.

some sons may grow up in years, but still attached to the mom's mundhaaNai! shame on these guys. they should never have married, for they make the newly wed wives' lives miserable.

as you can see, i think, our boys have a lot of room to grow. the mothers keep them dependent, by instilling a aura of mystery around the cooked food.

personally, i think, any idiot, following the steps as described in samaithup paar can make a decent pullaav or bisi-bela baath, without much effort.

you might have noticed, that i mention the couple, as in thani kudithhanam. i think there is no place for parents to live with young couples, whatever maybe the ancient sentiments.

smart parents, let their children BE. if your affection drives you to extreme extents, fix yourself a household nearby. but not inside theirs.

i can think of only one other unintentioned disregard committed to the sanctity of kitchen-oodal. that is to have a live-in maid doing the cooking.

Last edited:
Eeya Chombu Rasam

Very good topic. We still use Eeya Chombu for preparing Rasam. According to my wife using Eaya Chombu gives a special flavor to Rasam. By the grace of God, We have not noticed any toxic effects to any of the people using Eaya Chombu Rasam in our house. Only thing my wife does is that she transfers the balance quantity of Rasam after our use to another SS vessel.
Eaya chombu is available in various sizes in Kumbakonam bazaar.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

I am starting a thread on the practice of Eeya Chombu Rasam
which is a very unique practice in TB households
In my own personal experience I have seen a marked different taste of the Rasam made in Eeya Chombu
AS a part of my professional work I had done a considerable amount of research on the toxicology and mode of action of various heavy metals and Lead is one of them and have published a book chapter on that
(http://www.agriculture.frih.net/c21.pdf ) check page 22 for lead
I have found that lead indeed is a very toxic substance and my hypothesis is that there is a connection with the behavior of TBs and lead vessal rasam
Lead in very minute quantities like that which can be incorporated in our body by eating Eeya Chombu Rasam (in 10-20 PPZ) could actually be beneficial for the neurotransmitter activities of our brain
I would like to know the history of this method of Rasam preparation my TBs here and also any new info they can share

It is a folly to continue this practice of using Eeya Chombu Rasam. The practice did not originate with TBs, but merely perpetuated by them. Even urine and snake poison in very minute quantities can be beneficial, so do we start taking urine or snake poison? The statement that "Lead in very minute quantities like that which can be incorporated in our body by eating Eeya Chombu Rasam (in 10-20 PPZ) could actually be beneficial for the neurotransmitter activities of our brain" has not been scientifically corroborated nor established. The human metabolism does not require lead as an essential component. So, please avoid indulging in this folly. Maybe, TBs lost their preeminent status in TN because of neural degradation through eating Eeya Chombu Rasam?

It is a folly to continue this practice of using Eeya Chombu Rasam. The practice did not originate with TBs, but merely perpetuated by them. Even urine and snake poison in very minute quantities can be beneficial, so do we start taking urine or snake poison? The statement that "Lead in very minute quantities like that which can be incorporated in our body by eating Eeya Chombu Rasam (in 10-20 PPZ) could actually be beneficial for the neurotransmitter activities of our brain" has not been scientifically corroborated nor established. The human metabolism does not require lead as an essential component. So, please avoid indulging in this folly. Maybe, TBs lost their preeminent status in TN because of neural degradation through eating Eeya Chombu Rasam?

Oh yes now I got something
But where is the proof of neural degradation?

What are the toxicity symptoms that the users have shown till now
Throw it in!

Oh yes now I got something
But where is the proof of neural degradation?
What are the toxicity symptoms that the users have shown till now
Throw it in!

Proof? It's all over the place, you just look around, or should I say, google around.
As to toxicity symptoms, this kind of retort is not unlike what the tobacco companies used all these years to justify their continued marketing of cigarettes. Scientific process of proof and validation are slow, and may take decades, as in the case of cigarettes. Establishing toxicity impact of lead is slow in coming, but the scientific data are surely there and slowly accumulating, and will probably take several generations before science can say the last word.
So, one can either adopt the attitude of the chain smoker of yester years who said that there was no evidence that cigarettes were injurious to health, and damage the gene pool for future generations, or use the safer approach of staying away from such things.
We ought to remind ourselves of the famous Panchatantra tale where some learned pundits were trying to impress an illiterate colleague about their knowledge in resurrecting a dead lion back to life. The point is that we need to exercise more common sense. It is better to be safer than sorry.

Proof? It's all over the place, you just look around, or should I say, google around.
As to toxicity symptoms, this kind of retort is not unlike what the tobacco companies used all these years to justify their continued marketing of cigarettes. Scientific process of proof and validation are slow, and may take decades, as in the case of cigarettes. Establishing toxicity impact of lead is slow in coming, but the scientific data are surely there and slowly accumulating, and will probably take several generations before science can say the last word.
So, one can either adopt the attitude of the chain smoker of yester years who said that there was no evidence that cigarettes were injurious to health, and damage the gene pool for future generations, or use the safer approach of staying away from such things.
We ought to remind ourselves of the famous Panchatantra tale where some learned pundits were trying to impress an illiterate colleague about their knowledge in resurrecting a dead lion back to life. The point is that we need to exercise more common sense. It is better to be safer than sorry.

1.You say proof is all over there and I say there is no proof
now the onus is on you to See "all over and google and other things you can and give support to your statement that Eeya Chombu has caused toxicity in TBs. I will acknowledge and quote you in my next article!
2.Lets not jump around to other things I taking here exclusively on lead vessal made rasam used in TB households.
3. You are right when you say "Scientific process of proof and validation are slow, and may take decades" In fact that is in suppport of my hypothesis because not decades but centuries of use of this kind of rasam has not shown any prooven specific toxicty symptom in TBs
Regarding the scientific aspects and mode of action of Lead toxicity I have already posted the link of my Peer reviwed article please take time to read that. Please check this (http://www.agriculture.frih.net/c21.pdf ) check page 22 for lead I clearly say that it is toxic! But that is not what I am talking about
In fact we dont even knwo if there is lead in the Rasam or not
Only if I determine at least PPZ levels of lead in the Rasam I can call it cause and effect! But in my hypothesis I assumed that lead might be present My first test to validate my hypothesis will be check that
4. yes when you say It is better to be safer than sorry thats again what I am trying to say we are safe here in spite of having taken the rasam
5. "We ought to remind ourselves of the famous Panchatantra tale where some learned pundits were trying to impress an illiterate colleague about their knowledge in resurrecting a dead lion back to life." That is a highly irrelevant analogy"
6. You claim " The practice did not originate with TBs, but merely perpetuated by them" Substantiate the claim with proper reference
7. You have not even attempted to answer my question "What are the toxicity symptoms that the users have shown till now"
8. You said"So, one can either adopt the attitude of the chain smoker of yester years who said that there was no evidence that cigarettes were injurious to health" But here you have yourself not the "all around and google" I guess
Now have a look here
According to medical investigations tobacco smoking causes cancer of lip, tongue, tonsil and other parts of the mouth. And also lung cancer, chronic bronchitis, coronary artery diseases and emphysema are caused by cigarette smoking. Three contemporary rulers, emperor Jahangir of India, James I of England and Shah Abbas I of Persia noticed the harmful effects of tobacco and tried to stop this practice. Khalil Pasha issued a prohibitory decree against smoking tobacco and he announced that anybody caught smoking would have his lips cut and eyes taken out. In 1044 Hijri, Russia also passed certain regulations against smoking. In India Guru Govind Singh prohibited tobacco smoking for the members of the Sikh community. He said "Wine is bad; Indian hemp (bhang) destroyth one generation; but tobacco destroyth all generations'. This was published in Bull Inst Hist Med Hyderabad. 1993;23(1):53-8.Chattopadhayya A.
and In the 1930s doctors noticed a huge increase in the number of people with lung cancer. At that time lung cancer was a
very very rare disease and lots of doctors had never seen it.
At that time the medical profession deducted that the increase in smoking had brought on the increase in lung cancers.
Your man who saw no evidence that cigarettes were injurious to health actually did not want to see
Please note that there was a multi Mill$ corporates involved they spread misinformation to sell tobbaco
and the comparison of Lead and Tobacco is rong
as the later is addictive and former not
The smoker smoked despite proven toxicity where as there is no proven toxicity in the specific case of Eeya Chombu Rasam

Hey thanks for the "advise to look around and google" thing I got a link quite the opposite to what you say
here it goes http://forumhub.com/southfood/9293.22851.21.33.19.html

Now I came across a link which even shatters my basic assumption in the hypothesis
It says that the Eya Chombu in our households is not lead at all!! It is an alloy of tin and other metals!
Here goes
http://www.anothersubcontinent.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t7356.html
and here a Miss Vandana in her blog http://vandanaskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/04/eeyam-and-velleeyam.html
says that
I wanted to clarify something. People often think the vessels which are called Eeyam, in which you typically make Rasam contains lead or is lead Actually, the vessels which are called Eeyam are actually Velleeyam which is an alloy of Tin and Aluminum. There is no lead in that, Although Eeyam means lead.
Velleeyam is an alloy made of Tin and Aluminium.

On one of my trips to India, I went shopping for this vessel in Madurai and went directly to the person who makes it (his house). He was the one who gave me this information. So please do not worry about lead poisoning and go ahead and enjoy the Rasam made in this vessel.
A very abrupt end for this Thread

Last edited:
I hear that that It's "vellai eeyam" which is tin, not "kari eeyam" which is lead. ...
Can anybody throw light here???

Now at last I have come out with a scientific study on this
Now note that it says only 0.8 ppm will get into the Rasam when cooked for 90 mins and much more if stored for 18 hrs
If the chombu is made of 75% Tin and 25% lead

Attachments

• 00000049.pdf
    120.3 KB · Views: 168
Eeya Chombu Rasam

Some articles on lead toxicity that may be of interest
to forum members:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Book:
1991, Herbert L. Needleman (editor),
Human Lead Exposure
CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida
ISBN 084936034X
-----------------------------------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Needleman
Needleman H. "Standing up to the lead industry:
an interview with Herbert Needleman. Interview by
David Rosner and Gerald Markowitz."
Public Health Rep. 2005 May-Jun;120(3):330-7.
PMID: 16134577 Download PDF from
http://www.publichealthreports.org/userfiles/120_3/120330.pdf
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.peregrinefund.org/lead_conference/PDF/0103%20Kosnett.pdf
Health effects of low dose lead exposure in adults
and children, and .....
KOSNETT, M. J.
University of Colorado, Denver, CO 80202, USA.
Article in
R. T.Watson, M.Fuller, M.Pokras & W. G. Hunt
(Eds.) (2009). Ingestion of Lead from Spent Ammunition:
Implications for Wildlife and Humans.
Published by The Peregrine Fund, Boise, Idaho, USA.
DOI 10.4080/ilsa.2009.0103

Kosnett's article summary -
At the lower levels of exposure that are prevalent
today, the effects of lead may not only be nonspecific,
but also subclinical or asymptomatic.
Nevertheless, these effects, which may include
hypertension, decrement in renal function, subtle
decline in cognitive function, and adverse reproductive
function in adults, and developmental delay in children,
are of considerable public health concern.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
I think "Eeya Chombu" is "Kareeyam"(Lead=Pb) and the metal used to give coating inside copper vessels is "Velliyam"(Tin=Sn).May be at ppz concentrations Pb may not be poisoness and perhaps benificial---Are there any published research papers on the benifits of Lead in neuro transmitting?

Nevertheless, these effects, which may include
hypertension, decrement in renal function, subtle
decline in cognitive function, and adverse reproductive
function in adults, and developmental delay in children,
Actually Shri Naina
please do understand I myself have written the state of the art in lead toxicity and it is the latest scientific advancement in the area published by Wiley in 2009 and posted the link in my earlier post
What I need is specific reference with respect to Rasam

WHat I need is not what lead does to humans what I need is does Rasam made in lead vessels does that

arunshankar--nice to see ur discussion,scientifically progressing
good topic to discuss--science with public

I [food tech in NPD] am also impressed with 'eeya chombu' inherent taste it is developing and v continue to love it-
although metal -tin/lead that is used is contentious,it did not prove to be harmful
yet v must see how to defend this [eeya chombu]if it is-- not-- harmful

some time ago --even turmeric was used [excessive amount 50 times+more,published in sci journal,later disproved by Indian Scientists]to prove it is harmful

hi arun
nice topic...we still use eya sombu rasam...kacchatty(Kal chatty)
sambar and kumutti aduppu in chennai...we like it...but here
LIFE IS PAPER PLATE/ PLASTIC IN USA...EVERY THING IS
DISPOSABLE..INCLUDING HUMAN BEINGS..lol...EAST OR WEST..
HOME IS BEST...

regards
Good.Lots of informations on Eyachombu rasam and kalchetti vatha kuzhambu. Espaecalliywith freshly collecte few curry leaves the smell will be fantastaic. No doubt they have their own original taste. With thayir sadam this vatha kuzhmbu combination will be really tasty and one has to experience it to express. Smilarly oorugais preserved in Peengan jaadis. Daily morning urugais like avakai and mavadus will be given few a jerks/shakes and left. They will ensure no trace of moisture is let in. They say the urugais will spoil and poonjakakalan poothuduthu. They innocently used local terms language which are very correct>> fungus growth.

Iam very allergic to chemistry and basically a microbiologist. So, I wont enter into the lead-tin fight.

1. The rasam in eeya chombu will be superb when eating along with paruppu thuvayal.

2. Even today, my mom prepares rasam in eeya chombu some days. I think the same taste is there (Because my granny cooked with wood-fire, and my mom uses gas now).

3. Eeya chombu rasam will be nice to eat and even drink. But, preparing that should be taken care. My mom usually says me the fate of one such sombu in her house. My aunt (Perimma) left the chombu in kumutti unnoticingly and when she returned back, nothing was there except the kumutti. High flame and carelessness both will loose the rasam as well as the eeya chombu itself.

4. In some houses, they make rasam in usual vessel and for a single boil (Oru godhi ku) they will transfer that to eeya chombu. Might be they afraid of lead-tin toxicity at the sametime also wants the taste of eeya chombu rasam.

5. No rasams can stand infront of eeya chombu rasam. So, I wont bother even it causes toxicity. Actually, toxicity comes to susceptible persons only. All our forefathers have used this vessel only for rasa. they all lived healthily only na. The life is small and the uptake of food is the only thing which can provides us three times happiness in a single day. Even not the money. So, live it with enjoyment.

"Bayandu bayandu sapta kandippa bayathulae vandudum vyadhi"

As usual a small story:
A fakir was on his way to haj. Meanwhile he met a demon and asked his name. The demon prostrated the fakir and said that because of your good deeds only you saw me. Iam the "Cholera demon". The fakir asked, "where are you going now and for what purpose?" It replied to him that, this is haj season and so, am going to mecca to affect many. The fakir thought for a while and asked the demon to do him a favor and said it to leave that place and not to kill anyone. It said that that was it's duty and asked to fakir to let it go. Finally, he asked it to kill only 10,000 people and not more than that. The demon happily gave the boon and went. After few days, fakir heard that 1,00,000 people died in mecca because of cholera. He got furious and waited for the demon's return. After few days, the demon came back and the fakir thought of cursing it. He scolded it too. You gave me the resolution that you will kill only 10,000 but you killed now 1,00,000. Is it fair for you?

The demon simply replied, "Oh noble fakir, I killed just 10,000 only. All the others died just because of the fear on me itself" and went.

DONT WORRY ABOUT ALL SORTA TOXICATIONS. ITS THERE EVERYWHERE. EVEN IF YOU DRINK WATER, SOMEONE MAY SAY THAT ALSO HAS HARMFUL TOXICANTS. ENJOY YOURSELF WITH EEYA CHOMBU RASAM....

Pranams

“Eeya Chombu” discussion is futile,very irrational and un-Scientific.Kaareeyam (Plumbum) with which once Eeya Chombus were made ,has been shown to be very Toxic even while inhaling.Kaareeyam (Lead) has a very high Specific Gravity (11.35) almost very near to Mercury(13.55).Lead goes and sits in Neurons and Nephrons and is Not easily washed off in the Urine(due to high Density).It chelates with enzymes containing Sulphhydryl-SH- groups of Cystein,Cystin etc .

One of the main causes for the pathology of lead is that it interferes with the activity an essential enzyme called delta-aminolevulinic acid dehydratase, or ALAD, which is important in the biosynthesis of heme, the cofactor found in hemoglobin. Lead also inhibits the enzyme ferrochelatase, another enzyme involved in the formation of heme. Ferrochelatase catalyzes the joining of protoporphyrin and Fe2+ to form heme.Lead's interference with heme synthesis results in production of zinc protoporphyrin and the development of anemia. Another effect of lead's interference with heme synthesis is the buildup of heme precursors, such as aminolevulinic acid, which may be directly or indirectly harmful to neurons.

Dr.Somayaji.S.(Retired Deputy Director(Bio-Chemistry M/O Health & F.W.GOI.,Once Assistant Professor In Nutrition and Hospital Dietetics..

dr soma,

so good to hear your science based factido here. i think many others tread along the same path.

ultimately, i think, it comes under the domain of வைத்தீஸ்வரன் to dictate his needs of the specifications of our beloved saathamudhu. :)

some sins are willing risked. a peg of whiskey? some thalappa chicken biriyani? an extra piece or two or ghee/sugar overloaded mysorepak? a thoda trace of ஈயம் tainted rasam?

yes, i agree with the scientists here, that ஈயம் is toxic.

to relate this to human levels, we need to know how often that we can have rasam made in ஈயச்சொம்புஸ், in what amounts, whether the ageing of ஈயச்சொம்புஸ் has any effect? etc etc.

dr.soma, what we need is some more quantitative information. :)

till then, apropos to those who enjoy their mid meal break between sambhar and thayir, that tasty soupy delicioso, for which we all crave, to be a break between the extremes of spice and bland.

you know, what riles me these days: the habit of serving rasam in a tumbler, at the beginning of a dinner. as if this is a soup?

let the rasam get its rightful dues, and be restored to its place of honour, right between the sambhar sadham and thayir sadham.

champions of rasam, unite in your cause to restore its ancient glory:) :)

I think all will agree the super tase of milagu and paruppu rasams made in eeya chombu does not owe the taste to the container but to the formula and method prevailed on those days by those motherly experts. The ingredients like karuveppilai and garnishing time and such specifics along with cooking method all resulted in such a rasam to be evolved.
Am I right?

I did a bit of vorrespondence before replying to this thread
1. EEya Chombu for rasam is not an exclusie of TB
many other veg communities in Tamilnadu use it
2 EEyam coated copper vessals are still i use in many temples ashrams maths etc
3, EEya Chombu for rasam is also used by Brahmins in other parts of South India

Dear Dr.Somayaji:
Must you ruin our rumination of our nostalgia on the good taste of 'eeyam sombu'-made rasam (Sattrumadhu)? :heh:(I am just kidding!)
Thanks to all our members, your postings (my friend, Kunjuppu) brought some fond childhood memories. Kunjuppu, my own mother melted the 'eeyam sombu' by leaving it on for too long on the stove (there was no stove those days; 'virugu aduppu').

Thanks, guys!!

Surely there is a unique flvour for eeyachombu rasam, and I literally devour that.But one of my relatives having a doctorate in Chemistry told that he had tested and found that the vessel is releasing higher than safe quantity of the metal.( Still i use eeyachombu) If it is tested to be safe i will be very happy! May be the make of the chombu also matter.

To this day we have been making rasam in our family in Eeya chombu only. that is despite a few chombus turning into molten bits and pieces. The taste is really different. Those who are used to eeyachomby rasam wont accept rasam made in any other vessel. No one in our family , which is quite big, have been affected by the toxicity of lead even though we were a bit scared after our knowledge about the metal increased. But we are continuing and it is great going.

Eeya chombu rasam is heavenly.There is no doubt about this.Let us enjoy the aroma and the unique taste of eeya chombu rasam and then think of the toxity of the metal at our leisure till we are tempted to have that elixir once again from the eeya chombu.
S.Sridharan

If I remember right, in the so called "eeyam poosuthal", the vessel is not coated with lead (Pb) but with tin (Sn). That serves as a barrier between the acidic rasam-sambar and the copper in the brass vessel. Whereas in Eeya Pathiram, the metal used is probably lead, predominantly lead with some other metals as impurities. It is also possible that the impurities are quite substantial so that the lead content is not as high as one imagines. In Tamil two words are used: Kaareeyam (black eeyam) and veLLeeyam (white eeyam). The latter definitely refers to tin and not lead. The fact that we who grew up on rasam brewed in eeya chommbu have not suffered from lead poisoning is interesting. I have seen cases of lead poisoning from other sources (paints particularly) but not as a result of food poisoning. Whether the minute quantities of lead ingested is actually beneficial is moot point. But it definitely appears to have been harmless.

(quote)Silverfox:-"Dear Dr.Somayaji:
Must you ruin our rumination of our nostalgia on the good taste of 'eeyam sombu'-made rasam (Sattrumadhu)? :heh:(I am just kidding"(en-quote)

Dear sri.Siverfox--Definitely I am NOT ruining your rumination.sri.Kunchuppu wrote in a lighter vein-in one of his postings about the indulgence in small quantities of Alcohol etc for "Pleasure"--so also "Eeya Chombu Rasam"--yes people do indulge.Inspite of Surgen-General's howling from the house tops the teen-age cigarette smokers' number is increasing in logarithemic proportions in USA.-Majority of the women Elementary School Teachers smoke atleast one cigarette and then enter the class,chewing a scented rubber and teach "Moral Science"!!!!

Atarva Vedham said long back--"Naa Aham Kartha--Kaamah Kartha-Naa Aham Ka rahitha--Kaamah Ka Rahitha"

When "craving increases beyond a limit,sane thinking disappears.Kareeyam(Lead-Pb) only uesd for Eeya Chombu Rasam.Velliyam(Tin alloy) was used for "Mulaam Poosudal".

Lead salts especially acetate(ex-Vinegar,)-Tartrate(ex Tamrind=puli) is very "Sweet" and the Sodium-Potasium Tartrate chealates with Pb(Eeyam) and the volatile oils in Tamrind,Jeerakam,Milagu are trapped in the matrix--so Eeya Chombu Rasam is sweet and tasty.In Europe,in earlier years Wine packed in Eeyam(lead)coated bottles were considered very tasty and sold in large amounts.Now Europeans have stopped that practice--unlike craving for "Eeya Chombu" rasam.sri.Kunchuppu wrote to bring out more Scientific information on the subject--one can fill the entire Cyber Space available with Tamil Brahmins Forum on "lead Toxicity"(which I am currently teaching) alone.

Lead in small amounts (Eeya Chombu Rasam) produces only "Chronic Toxicity".Lead peacefully enters the bone-marrow and remains there for life-time--combines with Proto-Porphyrins(PP) and prevents Ferrum to combine with PP and Heme/ hemoglobulin formation,resulting in Anemia.All our vegetable eating grand and great grandmothers were suffering from Anemia throughout their life-time inspite of eating "Tons" of Muali-Keerai,Arai-Keerai and any doctor examing a lady said you have Anemia.Ladies were suffering more because of "Loss of blodd" during "Perids" and the culprit "Eeya Chombu rasam".Dr.Rathnavelu Subramanian,M.D.(Professor of Medicine MMC) wrote in one article, "In Chennai ladies are "Alive" with 2 gram% Hamoglobin(as against 14.5 gm%),which my European Counterparts refuse to belive.That was the "Fate " of our grand-mothers--ladies were most affected with their "Eeya Chombu Rasam" than their male counter-parts---is ther is NOT any lady who inter-acts in Tamil-brahmin forum?--or is it all ONLY male-dominated?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eeya chombu

Some more thoughts on "eeya chombu". Pewter articles look very much like lead ones but thy are made of tin. These two metals seem to have been confused for each other in public mind, vide their names Kaar eeyam(black eeyam) for lead and Vell eeyam (white eeyam) for tin. Both were considered as "eeyam". Lead is "black eeyam" because its shine and lustre fade away and it becomes dull and darkens to a greyish hue, on exposure to atmosphereic air due to oxidization whereas tin remains bright and lustrous without becoming dull and greyish. Similar confusion was there in the west also. Tin was called Plumbum candidum (bright lead) and lead was called Plumbum nigrum (black lead). What we call 'tin' is usually some other metal but with tin coating as rust proofing. Lead toxicity is not benign. Considering that generations of using "eeya chombu" without any adverse effects, I feel that our eeya chombus were most probably pewter (85% to 99% tin) and not lead proper. In other words, they are made of Vell eeyam and not kaar eeyam.
Incidentally, it is well known that lead salts are commercially used as adultrants. So be ware of lead salts , particularly in ManjaLL podi.
Sorry, I forgot to add one more thing. The tin in the "tinned" brass vessels are gone after use not so much because they are leached out during use. I t is more likely that the thin coating is rubbed of by vigorous cleaning using char coal powder, sand and coconut fibre, as is the common practice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back