• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

easier way to start chanting vishnu sahasranamam

Status
Not open for further replies.

drb

I am trying to chant vishnu sahasranamam - written in tamil and as well as english. however, I find it very hard to say correctly. I tried following MSS's chant and another person's audio. Hwoever, their pronounciation is way fast and I can't keep it up.

I am wondering, are there any text where the words are borken according to pronounciation style? Also any mp3 links where it is slow and clear?

I would appreciate if people can help me out.

drb

Sri.Drb,

I can explain my experiences. It may help. (I am illiterate in sanskrit). Firstly I listened to Sahasranamam (by MSS), many times. I even could recall portions here and there by heart (during those times I had no intention of reciting Sahasranamam ever). Then at one time I liked to recite. I bought myself a book in Tamizh. Although I heard it so many times, although I knew portions by heart, I still struggled very hard during the first time (Dhyanam was really testing!). By the time I recited 10 times, it was flowing freely; after about 20 times, people gathered to listen (I recite loudly). Before long I knew Sahasranamam by heart. It is better to know the meaning. Here:-

Invocation - Sri Vishnu Sahasaranama - Sanskrit, Transliteration and English Translation

(For the above link, thanks to our friend, Sow.Sri.Renukakarthikayan).

More in this site:- http://www.mypurohith.com/Rituals/VISHNU_SAHASRANAAM.asp

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I am trying to chant vishnu sahasranamam - written in tamil and as well as english. however, I find it very hard to say correctly. I tried following MSS's chant and another person's audio. Hwoever, their pronounciation is way fast and I can't keep it up.

I am wondering, are there any text where the words are borken according to pronounciation style? Also any mp3 links where it is slow and clear?

drb

Dear Sir,

when i learn any new mantra/shloka/sahasranamam i usually write it down first.
for example when i read vishnusahasranamam sometime ago, i wrote it out so that i will remember the pronounciation better when i recite it.
the same i did when i read the bhagavad gita, i wrote each stanza down and quite a lot of stanzas have stayed in my memory since.

Try this method it really stays in memory longer and also has beneficial effects.
write it out in which ever script you are comfortable with.

renu

drb
hi folks,
i learned sri vishnu saharsranamam ...when i was 8 years old...
but due to compulsion...if i wont recite sri vishnu sahasranamam..
that day i wont get dinner....after a long 50 yrs..i can recite
sri vishnu sahasranamam....even in my sleep...i learned
the adi shankara's bhashyam on sri vishnu sahasranamam...
even CD's/MP3 's cannot get proper sanskrit pronounciation...
but u can try as group sahasranama parayanam..it will help..

regards
tbs

hi,

pl try the bokk publisged by Ramakrishna Math by " anna". The tamil scripts rae easytofollow and try chanting or to begin with follw with the chanting by MSS. U will b able to recite shortly yourself. If u know sanskrit it is an added advantage

Regards/all the best
kumar

I agreewith Sri Kumara-rm. In addition, there is also a book published by Ramakrishna Mutt in English and also with Bashyam by Anna. Both these books will help, of course with the ultimate MSS.
Ramanathan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back