• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

During menstruation, why are women not allowed to touch anything related to God

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

This topic has been discussed many times. Men generally are either ignorant or too superstitious to challenge this taboo and suppression of women.
Most of the women who never had a voice, did not voice their concern.

Modern men and younger women are challenging this practice including our own Champions like JJji and Renukaji.

Modern day wriers say:
Diptarka Hait, MIT Class of 2016.

Patriarchial hogwash. It is simply a superstition without any rational basis that falls in the ranks of bullshit like Astrology, Vastu etc etc. Sorry if you wanted some confirmation for your biases but I will offer you none-it is just hogwash from a patriarchal society of days past. After all, touching something is not necessarily "contaminating" with blood even in the days before sanitary pads.
Tejasvita Apte:
I have seen far too much of Brahminical idiocy (in my own family too) to actually buy this argument.
I might have bought the argument that it is for OUR OWN good, had I not seen other things completely inconsistent with this thought.

Fact of the matter is, menstruation is considered 'dirty / impure'. We are told that the blood that comes out is impure where as no such thing as 'impure' blood exists.
When asked why, we are told it stinks while again, it doesn't stink. It's blood. Smells just like blood. It is the sanitary pad on which the blood gets dried and decomposed that stinks. Just like any man's blood would if you let it get decomposed for 4-5 hours.

Menstruating women are required to use different utensils to eat food in. They also cannot touch pickles, milk sweets, or other food offered to god (prasad). Again, because they are considered impure.

She is not permitted to enter temples, or go near god, or light a lamp. If you have a pooja (Hindu ritual) at home and if you see some women standing outside the room feeling left out, you can guess that it's because they are menstruating.

If the only concern is the woman's health, why do we have so much of hogwash surrounding that thought?
In fact, if the intention is to really give her some rest, let her meditate, be near god, do things she wants to do!
The point therefore is, more than the woman's health it is the superstitious notion that women are impure so they shouldn't do things due to which the so called 'purity' of the things important to others will be challenged. Like God and food.

So, I refuse to buy this argument and I also refuse to believe in those shastras (if any; I am still in search of the ones which have written dictates like these!) which attempt to rule any aspect of my personal life.
Muktipada Behera:
Sri Ramakrishna allowed women to practice religion, rituals during that time. Even Sarada maa asked women to go to temple. Ramakrishna mission does not deny entry into temples during that time. It comes due to superstition. There are created by Orthodox priests.

Ashaucha(अशौच) has two meanings – unclean and impure. ‘Unclean’ is related to physical objects; ‘impure’ is related to mind. It includes outer cleanliness of body as well as inner purity of mind.
It is easy to distinguish unclean which is outer, but not so easy to know impure which is inner. Religious people have a tendency to apply ‘impure’ terminology for outside objects. They demarcate some random objects as impure and few objects as pure. Cleanliness is overlooked due to too much attention to purity on objects. This is the origin of religious fanaticism.
Probably this is reason most of the religious places, rivers are unclean, still considered pure.
Copy from the book published by Ramakrishna Mission
Holy mother Sarada devi relaxed in many cases the rule prohibiting religious observance, worship etc during days of mourning after death, the menstrual period of a women and such other periods of ritualistic impurity.

It is the sanitary pad on which the blood gets dried and decomposed that stinks. Just like any man's blood would if you let it get decomposed for 4-5 hours.
That IS the point! It is not possible to have a change every four hours!

One mAmi confided to me about her bad experience. She watched a movie during her periods and when she left the theater,

a huge clot of blood emerged and slipped out on to the floor! She could not clean it and had to leave that place in a mess, totally

embarrassed. So, listen to what elders tell you and take as much possible precaution.

P.S: How awkward the situation would have been, if such an incident happens in a temple! :shocked:

http://www.kamakoti.org/kamakoti/articles/Dharma Bindu.pdf

Rajasvalaa Snaana:
Katyaayana Maharshi defines the shuddhi for menstruation:
Rajasvalaa chaturdhehni snaatvaa shuddhi mavaapnuyaat// Prathamehani chandaali dwiteeye sutikaa bhavet, Triteeyehi svadharasthaa chaturdhe patito yadhaa/ Sangavaante chaturdhehni naanaacchuddhi mapaapnuyaat, Ekavimshatithaalipya sarvaanam shuddhayaamrudaa/ Kritaa snaana shatam pashcaachuchirbhavati naanyadhaa, Snaanaante Bhaskaram drushtvaa putram
praardhya sumangali/ Trivaaram praashye - dannam nacheddoshavati bhavet/

(A female on he first day of menstruation is known as a Chandali, second day as Sutika, third as Svadharmastha, fourth day as Sankramana and the fifth day as Patita; on the fourth day would be Shuddhi or Purification as the body needs to be cleaned up twenty one times with ‘mrittika’ and take bath hundred times. Thereafter she should greet Surya Deva worshipping him to bestow ‘Sumangalitva’ or long life for her husband and sons and eat food thrice, or otherwise it would not balance her body)

Rajasvalaaaam snaataayaam punareva rajasvala, Ashtaadasha dinaadarvaaga shuchitvam navidyate, Unavimsha ti dinaadarvaag ekaaham - ashuchirbhavet/
(Once the bath is performed as above, till the eighteenth day there is no ‘Ashuchi’which commences there after.)

Hi, a good article, well thought out.
But, we need to understand that "Menstruation (men-STRAY-shuhn) is a woman's monthly bleeding. When you menstruate, your body sheds the lining of the uterus (womb). Menstrual blood flows from the uterus through the small opening in the cervix and passes out of the body".
It is a continuous process. More frequent than Urination. Do you enter a temple with a urine soaked innerwear? will you do it?
Why do we bathe and go to a temple? It is to be as pure as possible. Therefore, kindly DO NOT discount it a rubbish. There are certain rules that have been laid down with some clear thought. unfortunately, most of it have not been documented and we "so called modern thinkers" will accept only things that have been documented, even if it is wrong.
It is surely not discrimination against women as observations like Sumangali Prarthanai sees women as God and it is still practised that during navrathri, the men can eat only post the women eat. These are also not documented, why are we accepting these.
Our dharmasasthras do not discriminate, a male cant do a pooja or a homam without his wife (who incidently has to we always on his right side).
Please, lets understand that science is in a nascent stage for us to understand our shastras...
Lets follow what has been established in our Shastras till Science grows to an extent that we start understanding them....

Dear sir, I have some queries on your post.

Hi, a good article, well thought out.
But, we need to understand that "Menstruation (men-STRAY-shuhn) is a woman's monthly bleeding. When you menstruate, your body sheds the lining of the uterus (womb). Menstrual blood flows from the uterus through the small opening in the cervix and passes out of the body".
It is a continuous process. More frequent than Urination. Do you enter a temple with a urine soaked innerwear? will you do it?
I have a doubt here. If sombody has a cut or a wound on his/her body and they have bandaged it, but blood is still fresh on the inside of the bandage, can they visit a temple? Technically, they are also having a bandage soaked inside with blood.

Why do we bathe and go to a temple? It is to be as pure as possible. Therefore, kindly DO NOT discount it a rubbish. There are certain rules that have been laid down with some clear thought. unfortunately, most of it have not been documented and we "so called modern thinkers" will accept only things that have been documented, even if it is wrong.
Purity is different from cleanliness. Bathing is an act that makes the body clean, and it is reasonable to expect a person to be clean, but to ban him from entering since he has not taken his bath would not be so reasonable, I think. If you are well groomed and neatly dressed, nobody would prevent you from entering the office, right?

It is surely not discrimination against women as observations like Sumangali Prarthanai sees women as God and it is still practised that during navrathri, the men can eat only post the women eat. These are also not documented, why are we accepting these.
To begin with, why only ladies wear the mangalyam, and why not men? They can be called as "sumangalas" or such. And perhaps there could be a day when they fast and eat, so that they may live a long life of a sumangala, and only after they partaking of food, women are allowed to eat. Would that be acceptable?

Our dharmasasthras do not discriminate, a male cant do a pooja or a homam without his wife (who incidently has to we always on his right side).
Actually, if they do not discriminate, they should allow a woman to do pooja or a homam with his husband on the right/left side (whatever), holding the dharbai and touching his wife.

Please, lets understand that science is in a nascent stage for us to understand our shastras...
Lets follow what has been established in our Shastras till Science grows to an extent that we start understanding them....
Let us listen to the voice of reason and try not to suppress anyone in the name of religion or shastras or god.

Thank you.

Dear sir, I have some queries on your post.

I have a doubt here. If sombody has a cut or a wound on his/her body and they have bandaged it, but blood is still fresh on the inside of the bandage, can they visit a temple? Technically, they are also having a bandage soaked inside with blood.
[/COLOR][/FONT]
Purity is different from cleanliness. Bathing is an act that makes the body clean, and it is reasonable to expect a person to be clean, but to ban him from entering since he has not taken his bath would not be so reasonable, I think. If you are well groomed and neatly dressed, nobody would prevent you from entering the office, right?

To begin with, why only ladies wear the mangalyam, and why not men? They can be called as "sumangalas" or such. And perhaps there could be a day when they fast and eat, so that they may live a long life of a sumangala, and only after they partaking of food, women are allowed to eat. Would that be acceptable?

Actually, if they do not discriminate, they should allow a woman to do pooja or a homam with his husband on the right/left side (whatever), holding the dharbai and touching his wife.

Let us listen to the voice of reason and try not to suppress anyone in the name of religion or shastras or god.

Thank you.

AUHji,
A wonderful and very reasonable post.

Auh Ji!

1. Why should a person with a bandage with fresh blood wish to visit a temple? If bleeding does not stop within

a few minutes, it is vitamin K deficiency!!

2. Temple is not an office. There are some protocols to be followed. BTW, can anyone enter his office with a neat

and tidy kaupeen because office goers are supposed to be neat and tidy? :lol:

3. Will you soon argue why men can't bear children leaving women in peace?

:gossip:
Many females are waiting for such a day!!

P.S: I remember a forum member who would advise his better half to go to swimming pool during her periods!! :shocked:

Probably he is sure of 'that' leak proof method!! :D

Auh Ji!

1. Why should a person with a bandage with fresh blood wish to visit a temple? If bleeding does not stop within

a few minutes, it is vitamin K deficiency!!

2. Temple is not an office. There are some protocols to be followed. BTW, can anyone enter his office with a neat

and tidy kaupeen because office goers are supposed to be neat and tidy? :lol:

3. Will you soon argue why men can't bear children leaving women in peace?

:gossip:
Many females are waiting for such a day!!

P.S: I remember a forum member who would advise his better half to go to swimming pool during her periods!! :shocked:

Probably he is sure of 'that' leak proof method!! :D

Madam,

1. Why should he not? Many people have open wounds, boils and sores on their bodies and yet they go to temples.
2. All the major temples have beggars and the physically challenged people lined up near the entrance. Most of them are dressed in tatters and many tend to live on the temple prasadams. In doing so they obviously have to enter the temple. Will you prevent them?
3. You are comparing incomparables here. Rituals and practices are not natural, but (hu)man-made. I am not asking donkeys to give birth to tigers !

Best,

Dear Auh Ji,

1. Open wounds won't bleed that much.

2. Beggars line up only outside the temple. :sad:

3. Do you know that even in the ten 'paruvam's of a child, the males and females have the same ONLY in the first seven?

The last three change for them.

''ஆண்பாற் பிள்ளைத்தமிழ் காப்பு, செங்கீரை, தால், சப்பாணி, முத்தம், வருகை, அம்புலி, சிற்றில், சிறுபறை, சிறுதேர்

எனும் பத்துப் பருவங்களையுடையது.

பெண்பாற் பிள்ளைத்தமிழில் காப்பு, செங்கீரை, தால், சப்பாணி, முத்தம், வருகை, அம்புலி, நீராடல், அம்மானை, ஊசல்

எனும் பருவங்களைக் கொண்டது.''

Source: பிள்ளைத் தமிழ்

Right from the childhood, boys are boys and girls are girls!! :)

Dear madam

1.Those are just instances you have cited. In principle, there are people with cut wounds and the like visitng temples. Why does the god have so much aversion for menstrual blood (without which cycle there can be no procreation) and yet, at the same time, tolerant of people with disease, wounds or sores? Even in temples where animal sacrifices are made, the gods are able to tolerate the animal blood but not menstrual blood. Strange!
2.Dear madam, then you dont know about temples. In fact, my fil has this opinion that siddhars often visit "ancient" and "powerful" temples like beggars. I do not mean to take that as the basis, but I have seen several famous temples where they are not barred. Perhaps in those temples where admission is by fee and require people to stand in queues, it may be so. The story of raikva would be pertinent here.
3.I do not know what that means. If you could elaborate, I would be able to understand and comment.

Dear Auh Ji,

1. I am also against making girls and women with periods stay in a room exclusively kept for those days and not allowing them

to enter the kitchen or have food with other people in the house. My in-laws house follows the olden rules, I used to postpone

'that' time if it clashes with the time I visit their village! But I still consider entering a temple with periods is not correct. :nono:

2. Siddhars are different. But I think beggars with shabby dress
will be sent out of any temple.

3. Even as children boys and girls have different attitude. Hence some rules were different for men and women. :)

Years back, men were the bread winners and women were the home makers. Now, since women earn for better

standard of living, their attitude also has changed. They need help from their partners in household chores too.

My little grand daughter aged five asked me yesterday, 'Why do girls make coffee for boys always?

PAttis make coffee for thAthAs and ammA makes for appA. Why not the other way?'

Yeah! This IS women's lib at tender age!! :lol:

Dear Auh ji,

For Musims if one has a wound..even if its not acutely bleeding one can not preform prayers.This applies for both males and females.

Cos the presence of a wound which requires a bandage renders that part of the body unable to be cleaned by water before prayers.

But for us Hindus I always felt that we do not identify too much with the body ..but I guess I was not entirely correct.

I guess some do feel they are ONLY the body.

I do understand the need for personal hygiene to curb disease and control it but with advancement of science and tech and improvement of hygiene practices I do not see why we need to stunt the growth of our mind by not orientating ourselves to time,place and person.

Adi Sankara was said to have composed the Nrsimha karaavalambham when he (his hand?) had been charred by fire.

The hunter Kannappan is said to have given his eyes to the bleeding linga. Apparently there was no disgust there as it was blood alright, but not menstrual blood.

Dear Renu,

Why not consider that blood flow as the 'death' of a possible child! :Cry:

If every egg is a child the earth can not bear it. Just as every seed produced by a tree does not turn into a tree. Woman's body is her own please do not burden her any more. Sorry if I missed any sarcasm. This statement is too upsetting.

Last edited:
Dear Renu,

Why not consider that blood flow as the 'death' of a possible child! :Cry:

Dear RRji,

That would make all of us females walking Morgues...I feel we females have been bearing more than enough impure insults in Hindusim.

Its high time this impure tag is removed by hook or by crook or even by force.

BTW RR ji..for even for possible death to happen...life should be there first.

All of us lead lives of possible death on daily basis solely becos we are still alive.

So nope..the blood flow is not the death of a possible fetus becos fertilization did not take place.

Last edited:
hi

i think three CURSES in the world....i think you know the story....one is woman's menstrual....second is NURAI of water.....

third one is asfotida.....the VIZHUTHU of particular tree....

There is also a fourth curse..the worst of all...the mind that refuses to "see".

Dear RRji,

That would make all of us females walking Morgues...I feel we females have been bearing more than enough impure insults in Hindusim.

Its high time this impure tag is removed by hook or by crook or even by force.

BTW RR ji..for even for possible death to happen...life should be there first.

All of us lead lives of possible death on daily basis solely becos we are still alive.

So nope..the blood flow is not the death of a possible fetus becos fertilization did not take place.
I know I differ from your POV, even after fertilization, the fetus can not survive on its own outside of the womb.
NO One should be forced, women's body is her own. She alone should decide in that matter. The choice and the burden is very heavy, no need to add to it. Counsel her but please do not preach it.

I am pro-choice because I don't think there is any reason why a woman should have to face all the consequences from something she did not do alone. If a guy can get a woman pregnant and then run away, there is no reason why she should be the one responsible for everything. Having more options puts a woman on more equal footing with men, instead of being someone of whom they can take advantage. In addition, I believe that it is best for a child to not be born at all than to be born hated, to a mother who is forced to have him because she has no choice, and not because she wants the child.

Last edited:
I know I differ from your POV, even after fertilization, the fetus can not survive on its own outside of the womb.
NO One should be forced, women's body is her own. She alone should decide in that matter. The choice and the burden is very heavy, no need to add to it. Counsel her but please do not preach it.

I am pro-choice because I don't think there is any reason why a woman should have to face all the consequences from something she did not do alone. If a guy can get a woman pregnant and then run away, there is no reason why she should be the one responsible for everything. Having more options puts a woman on more equal footing with men, instead of being someone of whom they can take advantage. In addition, I believe that it is best for a child to not be born at all than to be born hated, to a mother who is forced to have him because she has no choice, and not because she wants the child.

Yes...this is where I differ from you.

For me its simple..it takes two to tango.

Before embarking on a sexual journey both married or unmarried women should be responsible enough to think of a mode of contraception so that no unwanted pregnancy situation arises.

So if a man runs away after he finishes his act..one can just close the chapter and move on in life..only when there is NO contraception all social ills arise.

For me I feel all lives are precious..we do not have the right to take lives saying "hey its my body..I decide"

The uterus is there for a purpose..if a female does not want anything growing in there..either do not gun it or practice contraception.

There was a cockroach outside the shoplot today on the five foot way...it looks kind of slow in reaction..I pushed it aside so that no one would step on it.

Likewise prevention is better than cure.

May be you have not seen dead fetuses from miscarriages in real life.Its not an easy sight to behold.
They are humans.

If abortion is considered a female's right..then I feel murder too should be a murderer's right..Kya Farak Hai?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back