• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of us participate to learn and share our experiences, others are here to show off and add to the the numbers and gloat at the people they have offended or destroyed.

So what you believe in is very important to you, but to those believers it is 'pet ideologoy'?
Now you are nitpicking, what I am talking about is personally insulting comments that add no value to the discussion, if we cannot refrain from even that we have no scope for civil exchange. I also wish to burst the myth that both sides are guilty of personal insults.

Cheers!

Dr.S.Kannan from Chennai is a Scholar and contributing in other forums.He had written about"Deepavali"in another Forum.
He is having two websites.
'www.vedvikas.com'&'www.vedvikasblogspot.com'
Members who are interested may get clarifications from Dr.S.Kannan.
I have been requesting many knowledgeable members who contribute in other forums to take part in this forum,but they are reluctant
for their own reasons.I know one member of this forum is contributing regularly in four forums but is keeping silent in this forum.
I do not know why?

Nara:
hurt the religious feel just because their pet ideology is criticized

No nitpicking Nara, my religion and God are sacred to me!! and they are NOT my pet ideology. I feel insulted.

Would you add one insult to your injury, no pun intended.....(add one to your score)....

No nitpicking Nara, my religion and God are sacred to me!! and they are NOT my pet ideology. I feel insulted.

Would you add one insult to your injury, no pun intended.....(add one to your score)....
If you want you go ahead and add it. But, all you are doing is sabotaging a sincere attempt from my side to take the personal insults out of discussions.

I said a lot of stuff in that post, none of that made any impact on you but for this word "pet-ideology" and that is insulting to you. At the very same time look at what was being said about me http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/7452-cry-beloved-countr-11.html#post104748.

This is exactly what I am talking about, this false equivalency between personal insults and people taking offense because their fragile religious sensitivites are hurt.

Anyway, go ahead Servall, revise the counter if you really believe this was an insult to you.

Cheers!

Honestly, I am no where close to provide the wealth of information that was shared here and in all other parts of forums by some of the veterans (Nara, Sangom, Kunjappu, tbs, NRR, prasad1 etc..). I am greatly indebted to them.

I am basically at the receiving end and I read through almost every other thread.

Whether it is 'pro' or 'anti' comments, I tried to digest what I can and lead what I think it is correct for me and also that fits in a society.

As I said before, if something bothers you, one should not participate or read those threads. It is the best way to avoid altercation and continue respecting others. Probably we can all cool down and not take these forums too personal. We shouldn't try to control others.

All these altercations should not lead to veterans leaving the forum. I would really hate to see that. Their contribution is the only thing, that keeps this forum a meaningful one.

my 2 cents..

I googled to know the real meaning of the word" Dobut".I request learned members to
indicate the meaning of the word'Dobut'

I see your point. I started this thread to raise my doubts on religious and spiritual matters and that is why I started it in this forum. It has been going fine. There is a temporary deviation for the past few days. I am sure there is truce now and this thread continues with its purpose.

It is not 'malapropism' or spoonerism'. Just mis-spelt with fast typing. More likely with laptop keyboards.

And most computer literates involuntarily substitute the right spelling. Perhaps that is why it went unnoticed for long.

I googled to know the real meaning of the word" Dobut".I request learned members to
indicate the meaning of the word'Dobut'

Sometime back Nara mentioned that sandhyavandanam must only be performed outside the house. Is there any such specification/restriction for tharpanam as well?

Sometime back Nara mentioned that sandhyavandanam must only be performed outside the house. Is there any such specification/restriction for tharpanam as well?

Siva,

AFAIK, the sastras envisaged sandhya being done in river waters. But when the practice of doing sandhya came to within the house also, the elders preferred a place with a view - to the sun for doing gaayatree japam; could be open verandah or திண்ணை of the old agraharam house. There is no such condition for tarpaNam.

I always thought it was to view and be in the presence of Sun directly. Hence being done outdoors. In India I usually go to the 'maadi' (terrace) and perform. It has minimal disturbances.

Tharpanam can be done inside the house. I have even seen priests doing that inside the house.

I always thought it was to view and be in the presence of Sun directly. Hence being done outdoors. In India I usually go to the 'maadi' (terrace) and perform. It has minimal disturbances.

Tharpanam can be done inside the house. I have even seen priests doing that inside the house.

drb,

For most people exposure to direct sunlight will be rather uncomfortable if it is for 20 minutes or more. And, chanting gaayatree with the prescribed pauses and speed for 108 times will take surely 20 minutes, if not more.

Often, I have seen the orthodox tabras finishing sandhya and Gaayatree japam within 5 minutes. That should be considered for Guinness Books of record. All that I used to hear was the sound ssssss or zzzzz and 108 gaayatrees chanted by the time one dosa is prepared!

sangom,
Quite funny!. :) japam before 1 dosa made.

Its true -sunlight is an issue. That's why I go bit early when it is not warm enough and doesn't burn the skin.

Another reason for some to breeze through japam/sandhya is because they would have said is so many times, quite naturally speed gets picked up because of experience. Probably one should not focus on time, but the quality of performing. I am bit guilty too. Sometimes I tried to do it fast so that I can attend to other things. I am trying not to repeat it. But you know humans - prone for error. :)

Please permit me to add a couple comments. For SVs, Tarpanam and other pitru karyam are performed with the thiruman kappu, 12 after samasrayanam. The only time SVs are to be without thiruman kappu is during teettu time, however, even during teettu trikala sandhya must not be abandoned, but only 10 repetitions of Gayatri.

It is interesting that many so called weekend SVs these days have only single sri choornam on their forehead. Sporting single sri chooram is like being Ravana, separating Perumal from piratti. But then, how many of these single sri choornam sporting SVs know or care about such fine points?

Cheers!
thanks for the information which is very useful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back