• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it correct to worship human beings though they may be preachers, gurus etc. and treat them as Gods?

I think God is OMNIPOTENT and cannot be human. Human being is a creation of God.

It is one thing to respect a guru or preacher after one is fully satisfied that the said guru/preacher is deserving of such respect. But it is utter foolishness to look upon every preacher, guru, godman as god itself and start "worship" of all those persons blindly. This is the sign of decadence of our people.Even the best of the lot deserves only respect, and not worship IMO.

Is it correct to worship human beings though they may be preachers, gurus etc. and treat them as Gods?

I think God is OMNIPOTENT and cannot be human. Human being is a creation of God.

Sri.Natarajan Sir,

Greetings. We have not seen God. There are many writings from people who claimed to have 'felt' God or God's presence; that is not seeing the God. When we do not know about somethnig, we may not be able to describe asuume qualities for such unproven quantity. God may not be omnipotent. It is a bit hard to explain inaction from an omnipotent force when thousands of persons get wiped out in natural disastors.

Human being is just an animal, granted, more cunning than most of the animals. Irony is, human beings, although may not completely avert natural disastors, may reduce human losses by alerting others; last year, one young girl in samoan Islands alerted others just before a Tsunami, there by saving few or few hundred lives. In that situation, that girl was more potent than many other imaginary figures.

If God created Human beings or anything for that matter, then God should take responsibility of his creations. But if God created Human beings, he/she/It is not taking any responsibility.

Is it correct to worship human beings? Personally, I would say, yes, any worthy human being may be worshipped/respected/revered. Almost all the good samaritans are human beings. One may say, 'God acts through good human beings'; sure, that's one's belief. Even in such situations, one should pay the gratitude to that helpful human being.

In the case of preacher, gurus etc, they start off saying they want to serve the public; more often than not, in reality, the public ends up serving them, pay them piles of money. The whole thing seems lopsided to me; but then, I neither know God, nor know preachers nor have a Guru nor have listened to a Guru. who knows? I may be missing something.

Cheers!

AKNatarajan,

I think a useful discussion can start first with defining the terms used here. Can we first define what we mean by 'worship' and 'treat as Gods'?

Worship -------Respecting,saluting,Obeying,Being silent when he opens his mouth,always willing to be his servant.All these qualities even in his absence.Treating as God------I have no answer.But there are stories that Lord siva was thrown by stones (saakkiyar)Given a blow by an Vil(Arjunan)Treated by foot (kannappan) and it goes on.So treating as God has a different meaning.

God has not created you to worship Him. Please do not ask why he created. The worshiping only satisfies our egos or softens our guilt-feelings. When worshiping god itself is not necessary why should you treat God as god. Nobody has ever seen god as god does not manifest. The Shiva, The Narayana and so on are all human imaginations. But there have been many saintly births in human form who have enlightened us in their own way. We can treat these endowed births with reverence. There have been good Swamis and bad Swamis. You appreciate the good and ignore the bad. As a human being we should follow what is good Dharma. If you do not know any good Dharma, create your own and follow it sincerely. All the stories of god are only the guidelines for good living.

God has not created you to worship Him. Please do not ask why he created. The worshiping only satisfies our egos or softens our guilt-feelings. When worshiping god itself is not necessary why should you treat God as god. Nobody has ever seen god as god does not manifest. The Shiva, The Narayana and so on are all human imaginations. But there have been many saintly births in human form who have enlightened us in their own way. We can treat these endowed births with reverence. There have been good Swamis and bad Swamis. You appreciate the good and ignore the bad. As a human being we should follow what is good Dharma. If you do not know any good Dharma, create your own and follow it sincerely. All the stories of god are only the guidelines for good living.

Very well said!

God has not created you to worship Him. Please do not ask why he created. The worshiping only satisfies our egos or softens our guilt-feelings. When worshiping god itself is not necessary why should you treat God as god. ----------I never said so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back