• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Don'ts in Temples

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am seeing each and every time, when I goes to temples, some of the wrong deeds that we people are doing. Why don't I make use this forum to share about this.

The first and important thing I would like to mention is the worship of chandikeswara. People will go near his shrine and clap their hands creating much more noise even to the devotees nearby. some others will tear the threads from their clothes and put it over him thinking that he will provide new clothes. Both are not the way to pray him.

1. You should not do proper pradhakishana (clockwise completed round) on chandikeswara shrine as it would interfere with the pradhakshina of shri shiva.

2. You should go near him and just show your both hands (like washing) (it is important without making noise) implying that you are not taking anything from this temple. He is the incharge of all the properties of shiva. To show him that, we are not taking any property we are showing the empty hands. I dont know somehow this changed to clapping hands.

3. Chandikeswara is the god always doing penance, so we should not disturb him in any means. Placing threads over him should be avoided.

4. "Sevichennu sivaperuman kittaum poitu varennu ambal kittaum sollungo" ( It means You please convey shiva that I had a good darshan of shiva and convey ambal that I will come back soon to her shrine). This is what we should say near him. (This my grandmother taught me. I think somehow we register our attendandance here).

Or else just simply pray him.

Hope Bhaktas will follow this.

Pranams

Dear Durgadasan Ji

You are 100% correct, I too feel of telling people whenever I see
this act of clapping, but the thought who are we to correct them
when we have so much things within us to be corrected and then
I leave it. But someone should display these things what you have
written near His shrine . It is a painful act to correct some one inside
the temple when ourselves go there to shed our ego . Better thing is
a display to be placed for sometime to highlight . Some time we need
light to see him , since he is left undisturbed in the dark mostly.

Even we are not supposed to carry the "Neeru" . which is given
only to apply there itself but not to carry that is why both hands
to be shown to him . He is the person last to be seen while leaving
the temple and first to be seen is Nandheeswarar .

One interesting thing I would like to share .....

Many people donot know where is this Thiruperundhurai -which comes in many songs of Thiruvasagar . It is near Aranthaangi . In this temple one needs a guide to visit , since there are so many features to be seen . Manikkavaasagar is the Nandhi as well chandigeswara here.

திருப்பெருந்துறை உறை சிவ பெருமானே --மணிவாசகர் பாடலில் வரும் . எங்கே இந்த திருபெருந்துறை உள்ளது ..... அது இன்றைய ஆவுடையார் கோயில் ,அறந்தாங்கிக்கு வெகு அருகில் உள்ளது .மிக மிக விசேஷமான கோவில் . நரியை பரியாக்கிய - சம்பவத்தில் வரும் மணிவாசகர் கட்டிய கோயில் .
இதை ஒரு விஷயம் அறிந்தவரின் உதவியுடன் தான் பார்க்க வேண்டும் . மிகவும் நேர்த்தியாக கட்டப் பட்டது . புழுங்கல் அரிசி சோறுதான் நிவேதனம் . இங்கு முதலில் பார்க்கவேண்டிய நந்திகேஸ்வரனும் , இறுதியில் பார்க்கவேண்டிய சண்டிகேஸ்வரனும் -- மணிவாசகர் தான் . அவர் சந்நிதி அம்பாள் சந்நிதிக்கு நேர் முன்னர் உள்ளது . அம்பாள் சந்நிதி வெற்றிடம் . தீபாராதனை மாணிக்க வாசகருக்கும்
அம்பாளுக்கும் ஒரே நேரத்தில்

Last edited:
AkURA ji

Are they alone??? I love thiruperundurai. You cannot list out the fames of that single temple. Anyhow I will list a few.

1. You can see navagrahas in pillars
2. You can see 27 stars as their constellations (in sculptures)
3. You can see roofs made of stones (with screws and bolts)
4. you can see fishes in water (in stone sculpture)
5. You can see paintings which looks like those drawn today (Herbal paintings)
6. You can see your shadow falling on the linga (this is the place, where rama's chayahathi dosha get rid off)
7. You can see the stone idol of shiva as horse-man. In that idol, if you touch the mush part you feel it hairy, if you touch the hand and legs, you feel skinny. Above all, if you send your finger inside the idol's nose, you will find inner nose (Chillu mooku). Such a nice idol.
8. Above all, there is no swami, no ambal. Instead of lingam , there will be only Avudayar (hence called avudayar koil) . Instead of ambal, there will just two legs (Yogambika).

There are some other specialities too, which I will mention in Temples forum soon.

Anyhow, as akura ji mentioned there should be some display regarding this. Akura ji, I too never said this to anyone. But, whenever there is a talk between my friends or relatives, I say these. I request our forum members to kindly transfer these to the people whom they know. Atleast 1% can change na sir???

Pranams

இதை ஒரு விஷயம் அறிந்தவரின் உதவியுடன் தான் பார்க்க வேண்டும்

Exactly Akura sir

Fortunately when I went, the time was 8:45 pm. Everyone said me that the temple will be locked. I simply said shiva shiva throught my journey from pudukottai and reached there. As a surprise, manickavasagar utsavam was going on there. Luckily i saw a person, who on seeing me wandering here and there in a wish to see everything, devotedly showed me each and every place. I never forget him. But, I did not wait till that athmanatha naivedya. He rushed me that the last bus will go by 9:45. So, I missed that. Planned to go there once again in early morning itself. A sculpture treasure. I am still wondering how such a temple has been built. Miraculous, I was literally fainting even now thinking of that temple. It was my ambition from the age when I was studying sixth standard. But I saw that temple, only after doing M.Phil. I love that temple Akura ji.

There manickavasagar is the main deity (Pradhana moorthy). So, all the functions are for him only. He is the skandar, chandikesar, and nandikesar there.

Durga ji and Akura ji,

Both of you have very good knowledge. I have not visited Thirupperumdurai temple constructed by the great saint Maanickavasagar. I shall try to visit it. If God willing, both of you please be my guide.

All the best

It will be my pleasure ramani sir. But as I said even I have not completely enjoyed all. Since I went late evening, I could not see each and everything without hastiness. There are musical pillars also. I must go there once again.

Pranams

Thiruperundurai

Dear Durgadasan ! and Rv sir !
It was same with me , my first visit.. with a longing to see the temple .. after knowing that thirupperundurai is Avudayar Kovil..Without water , food I reached the temple at the time of 0845 pm
I just put my suitcase before the flowershop and saw the shrine, there was maaga deeparaathanai going on , I forgot everything straight I went for Dharshan , there was help (I know there are
no lodges and only one mutt is attached to the temple and that too require prior permission for stay). Believe me !

There was one gentleman who took me around the temple in night and showed me some details and fed me for the night , made me to stay with him , he was a bank manager (nagarathar community).
Next day he took me to the temple in the day light , morning hired a guide for me at his cost and arranged everything for the day and left for his bank near a village . What you will say ? A Stranger
helping me ! I have not spent even a single pai till my departure .

The guide was a fantastic man, his name is JANAKIRAMAN, he must be little old now , he runs a stall inside the temple .

You must visit the temple before evening light fails . Contact the guide , you can't stay there . Nearest good place is Aranthangi. But you have mess run by home people near the temple .

How to reach ...

It is a coastal route from Aranthangi to Mimisal .

You can link with Pillayarpatti visit since it is also very near.Stay in Karaikudi and go around these temples nearby ...
Pillayrpatti , nemam , kunakkudi .Avudayar koil

Most people miss this temple because it is little interior and practically not known to them also.

There are more things that the guide alone can explain I cannot put them everything, in order to kindle the attention I mentioned little. The aavi of the neyvethiyam has also something interesting.

There are lot lot more .........
One interesting thing is told is this is only token of the temple built by Manikkavasagar , the original remains a mystery still is also a saying about this place.

Last edited:
Dear Durgadasan ! and Rv sir !
It was same with me , my first visit.. with a longing to see the temple .. after knowing that thirupperundurai is Avudayar Kovil..Without water , food I reached the temple at the time of 0845 pm
I just put my suitcase before the flowershop and saw the shrine, there was maaga deeparaathanai going on , I forgot everything straight I went for Dharshan , there was help (I know there are
no lodges and only one mutt is attached to the temple and that too require prior permission for stay). Believe me !

There was one gentleman who took me around the temple in night and showed me some details and fed me for the night , made me to stay with him , he was a bank manager (nagarathar community).
Next day he took me to the temple in the day light , morning hired a guide for me at his cost and arranged everything for the day and left for his bank near a village . What you will say ? A Stranger
helping me ! I have not spent even a single pai till my departure .

The guide was a fantastic man, his name is JANAKIRAMAN, he must be little old now , he runs a stall inside the temple .

You must visit the temple before evening light fails . Contact the guide , you can't stay there . Nearest good place is Aranthangi. But you have mess run by home people near the temple .

How to reach ...

It is a coastal route from Aranthangi to Mimisal .

You can link with Pillayarpatti visit since it is also very near.Stay in Karaikudi and go around these temples nearby ...
Pillayrpatti , nemam , kunakkudi .Avudayar koil.

Most people miss this temple because it is little interior and practically not known to them also.

There are more things that the guide alone can explain I cannot put them everything, in order to kindle the attention I mentioned little. The aavi of the neyvethiyam has also something interesting.

There are lot lot more .........
One interesting thing is told is this is only token of the temple built by Manikkavasagar , the original remains a mystery still is also a saying about this place.
what a wealth of information of Thiruperunthurai. The details given by Ajura ji and Durgadasanji interspersed by RVji are so enticing I feel just lile rushing to Thiruperunthurai. May that Pradhana deivam there bless all of us for having such magnanimous and sharing people in this great forum.

Dear all,

As Akura ji said we will start separate thread for this whole temple and discuss and even then also we cannot complete it's fames.

The next important act that I would like to mention is doing "namaskarams here and there as they wish"

1. Please don't do namaskarams inside the temples as you wish. I saw many people doing namaskarams infront of ambal (showing their legs towards swami). Then they will do the same (showing now legs towards Ambal).

2. There is a place (kodikambam- Dvajasthambam). Before that there will be a Balipeetam. You have to perform your namaskara only beyond and infront of that. Bali peeta is the place, where we should shed our ahankara and other cheap qualities and go inside the shrine with pure mind.

3. Performing namaskaram: I saw now as an equality problem, ladies are doing namaskarams like gents. (sashtanga namaskaram). This should be avoided. Only Panchanga namaskaram is enough for them. The breasts are the symbolification of godliness and it represents motherhood. At any cost, this should not be degraded (Even before god). By doing this, certainly it is not degrading ladies. They should know their pride provided inside the temples. (Even normally they should do only panchanga namaskaram).

4. One thing for ladies performing namaskaram: While doing namaskaram, be sure that your hair lock has been only on your back. (Pinnikongo). Free hair should be avoided. You can ask me whether they dont deserve rights for even that. Once again, hair lock is the symbolification of sowbhagya. So, only they apply sindhur over that. At any cost, this also should not be degraded.

5. In many temples, they have now sign boards showing direction where to do namaskaram (E.g. Kapali temple in mylapore). A good approach. We should do namaskarams only in the side where both swami and ambal are not facing. It should be a common namaskar for both. EG: If ambal is facing east, swami is facing south, we should do our namaskaram near the dwajasthambam West-East, facing ambal. Likewise, decide the direction. If both swami and ambal are facing the same direction (Kalyana sthalangal), we should perform straight namaskaram to their left hand side. This will be confusing while reading, but once in a temple it will be easy.
One simple logic is do prathakshina and complete it near the dwajasthamba. Just take a few steps backward and do your namaskar.

6. The important thing is while doing namaskara, atleast for that second shed your ego. The principle behind this action is that only.

PRANAMS

you made me traverse long distance to find the ultimate -shedding the Ego.

In some temples near the bali peedam on the floor you can see some figures chiseled out
doing namaskaram for you to follow the direction of doing.

Last edited:
What I wish to convey today regarding this is doing darshan in temples.

Many people (might be due to rush or simply they alone want to have darshan) stand straight before the god and make others not to see at all. This should be avoided.

According to agama sasthras, the idol inside the shrine has a jeevakalai (living being). But the place where its kept is "Garbagruha" it means a place like womb inside mother's garba. No air an go inside. You may feel them when standing inside the shrine. Like the air is going to the fetus through the umbilical chord, the air for the idol goes from the vahana kept outside in the ardhamandapa. A continous airflow will be there between swami and his vahana. You should not disturb it by standing inbetween.

I will put up this in more logical way. If someone stands straight infront of your doorstep, when many persons want to see you, how you will feel???. This is a kinda irritation others will feel also na.

One more thing is some idols have good powers by nature of stone, artwork of sthapathi itself. By standing just opposite to them, you cannot be able to grasp the power as a whole. Ofcourse everything around us are vibrations only na. I saw some persons even standing straight infront of saniswara. I think everyone knew his power of eyes.

To avoid all these things, just have a darshan by standing on either side of the god...

Pranams

திருப்பெருந்துறை மிக மிக விசேஷமான கோவில் .

Avudiayarkoil has architectural, sculptural and spiritual significance, But historically also it is an important place. I visited this temple twice for my research and the said Mr. Janakiraman was very helpful in making me look at minute details which I would have otherwise missed. I have acknowledged his help in my book, 'Vedaneriyum Saivathuraiyum'.

Here are some excerpts from the book.

Avudaiyarkoil is the only temple in Tamilnadu where many remnants of Sangam period Siva worship are still to be found. Its original name was Aludaiyar koil. ஆளுடையார் கோயில். The name got corrupted into Avudaiyar koil. Refer to U.Ve.Sa’s book ‘Thirutthala varalaru’. The word Avudai, taken to mean the female part of the lingam now, was not mentioned in any of the books prior to 20th century.

The moolasthanam of the temple is a square stone-altar. It is a remnant of the sangam period Kandhu (a stone on which the god is invoked). It was only in the 20th century that a lingam-shaped brass cup was placed on the stone and now there are people who are opposed to this.

(There is a சின்ன ஆளுடையார் கோயில் on the south street of Thiruvidaimarudur. Here also an altar is the moolasthanam. But it is round. The temple is in dilapidated condition and even the locals do not know about it.)

The addition of nandhi, flagstaff, chandesar in Siva temples was of a later date and Avudaiyarkoil has successfully resisted these changes. But it has accepted the installation of Nataraja, Ganapathi etc in its premises. When the worship of Amman in a separate shrine came into vogue in Tamilnadu during the time of Kulothungan, in 11th century, in keeping with the formless Siva, the Amman was represented by two feet.

The priests of the temple have the title Nambiar, (Nambu in old Tamil means ‘to perform Archanai’). They are Chozhia Brahmins. They follow Makuta Agama, which is peculiar to this temple only. In Chidambaram also formerly Makuta Agama was followed and it was replaced by Patanjala sastram in 17th or 18th century. The priests of Chidambaram also belong to Chozhia community. But they deny this. They have changed their title as Deekshitar but retain ‘munkudumi’ the mark of Chozhias. The Nambiars of Avudaiyarkoil accept their Chozhia ancestry but have given up munkudumi. The statues of Avudaiyarkoil prove that all Chozhias, brahmins and non-brahmins had munkudumi in olden days.
Just as there is the tradition of Thillai 3000 andhanars, so here is one- Avudaiyarkoil 300 andhanars.

The later- added sannidhis of Nataraja, Ganapathi and Murugan are worshipped by a priest belonging to Sivachariar sect.

Ancient Tamil festivals were all ‘nakshatram-based’. Pradosham, the thithi-based function is not celebrated here.

Before lingam became a common feature of Siva temples, He was worshipped as Dakshinamurthy. In Avudaiyarkoil, the moolasthanam faces south.

Last edited:
Nemam Temple

Dear Vikrama ,
Request some more information , if possible highlight on the Nemam
Temple and the Sculptural beauty of the temple , esp the
Dhaksninamurthi sannidhi and the stone works .(Which is also nearer)

Here comes other important don't.

1. Please dont talk unnecessary things inside the temple. If possible, go to temples individually. Many people like us, come here to get a peace and not to hear your piece.

2. The vibrations that you unnecessary creates inside the temple has the possibility of changing your won mindset into a dilemmic position. You came here for worship, at the same time here you met an old day friend. You will chatting with him. He says his sad stories and you share yours. After a while, reaching your home, your conscious wont leave you. You may not certainly enjoy this unavoidable meeting. If the same meeting happened in street, market or a marriage hall, you will feel 100%. At the sametime, inside a temple it will not be that much (Personally I felt many a times).

When a person comes to your home, unnecessarily talking about some third person with a fourth eprson sitting in the hall of your home, how you feel???? Temple is the house of god. We go there to meet him only. Am I right?

Other thing is avoid tension inside temple. When there is a rush, I saw so many people going in crookways and go before the persons who are standing properly in the "queue". Whom these people are cheating? Will they get anything from god with that much impurity in their mind. If there is no time for them to wait and have darshan, better dont go there. For these similar reasons, people will quarrel and sometimes, it ends in clashes also. These are the things which must be avoided.

Pranams

Dear Vikrama ,
Request some more information , if possible highlight on the Nemam
Temple and the Sculptural beauty of the temple , esp the
Dhaksninamurthi sannidhi and the stone works .(Which is also nearer)
I am sorry. I have not visited these temples. I confined myself to thevara sthalams since the subject of my book required only that much. I don't think that Nemam is a thevara sthalam. Is it?

There is a nemem near tirupathur. Jayangonda-choleeswarar Soundharanayagi Temple, is there. Are you mentioning that temple AKURA JI???

Nemam Temple

Dear S/sri Vikrama and Durgadasan
Nemam is near Kunnakkudi and Pillayar Patti . This temple is
run by Nagaraththar . Very close to Kunnakudi . It is famous
for its sculptural beauty . One of the few temples in India.

I think Nemam is not in the list Thevara Sthalams .

Hope avudayar koil also not a thevara sthalam ?
If needed I can post few details about Nemam after a week.

The final DON'T which I wish to mention is "Dont consider temple as a tourist spot".

1. People consider temple as a place to gather and eat well there itself and enjoy themselves. Eating prasadams inside the temple is OK. But be sure whether you have cleared the place.

2. Wash your hands even you ate a bit of prasadam. Then you take the harathi or vibudhi. Dont scratch your hands against the temple pillars.

3. One improtant thing is writing some wishes with charcoal in the walls of temples. If you write in the wall, how god knows (whether he comes out to read the walls))???
Pray well for the fulfillment of wishes. Dont scribble here and there. Might be your scribblings can cause for the destruction of an older monument like sasanas.

4. Behave well inside the temple. Atleast be a human inside there. Dont get angry over others. Dont rush for darshan. Dont quarrel. Worship in a polite way so that it does not disturb others.

5. Dont show your pomp inside the temple. Simplicity is the only thing god needs. God won't see how big a garland has been presented, how much money has been inserted in hundi...He needs only your pure heart.

HAVE HAPPY DARSHAN...

PRANAMS.

Thanks for your cooperation.

I am seeing each and every time, when I goes to temples, some of the wrong deeds that we people are doing. Why don't I make use this forum to share about this.

The first and important thing I would like to mention is the worship of chandikeswara. People will go near his shrine and clap their hands creating much more noise even to the devotees nearby. some others will tear the threads from their clothes and put it over him thinking that he will provide new clothes. Both are not the way to pray him.

1. You should not do proper pradhakishana (clockwise completed round) on chandikeswara shrine as it would interfere with the pradhakshina of shri shiva.

2. You should go near him and just show your both hands (like washing) (it is important without making noise) implying that you are not taking anything from this temple. He is the incharge of all the properties of shiva. To show him that, we are not taking any property we are showing the empty hands. I dont know somehow this changed to clapping hands.

3. Chandikeswara is the god always doing penance, so we should not disturb him in any means. Placing threads over him should be avoided.

4. "Sevichennu sivaperuman kittaum poitu varennu ambal kittaum sollungo" ( It means You please convey shiva that I had a good darshan of shiva and convey ambal that I will come back soon to her shrine). This is what we should say near him. (This my grandmother taught me. I think somehow we register our attendandance here).

Or else just simply pray him.

Hope Bhaktas will follow this.

Pranams

you are absolutely correct. in ancient period people go to temple for meditaion and peaceful mind. They got vibrations when they pray god.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back