• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Does anyone remember the hindu contributions to mathematics and science ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose there will be more people singing 'Love is my religion', in faith.

Dear HH,
All the religions have a central theme (Prime focus), though they touch the other points of different religion too..

Hinduism talks about the core theme of maintaining 'Dharma' (Justice), Christianity "Love", Islam 'Brotherhood' & buddism talks about " Relieving Desire". If you are subconsciuosly saying 'Love is your religion',then you are closely identifying yourself with Christianity.

It is possible to accomodate forgiveness of sins with karma-reincarnation. It just depends on understanding the concepts of sins, karma and reincarnations as per various schools. Hope you wud physically seek out teachers to learn

This is indeed an interesting debate which happens all across the world done by all religious scholars and never ending though.. They call it as Inter-religious dialogue... That why from the begining, I appreciated and welcomed the meeting of Acharyal and Cardinal... Will club the response to this in detail, on my forthcoming post to Mr.Anandb

Dinduism talks about the core theme of maintaining 'Dharma' (Justice), Christianity "Love", Islam 'Brotherhood' & buddism talks about " Relieving Desire". If you are subconsciuosly saying 'Love is your religion',then you are closely identifying yourself with Christianity.

Dear Sapr,

Hinduism also says love is the greatest religion. Give me time, i will get the vedic quotes for you.

i think all religions basically teach the same things, of love and brotherhood.

It is people themselves who fail to understand each as just a path, and then fight over supposed differences as they seek it to be.

Islam also speaks of love and brotherhood. So does buddhism, etc.

Dear Sapr,

Hinduism also says love is the greatest religion. Give me time, i will get the vedic quotes for you.

i think all religions basically teach the same things, of love and brotherhood.

It is people themselves who fail to understand each as just a path, and then fight over supposed differences as they seek it to be.

Islam also speaks of love and brotherhood. So does buddhism, etc.

As I said earlier, in the first para ....ie, CENTRAL THEME.... Sure you will find the talk of Dharma in most of the religious scriptures.. In fact, Prophet mohammed talks a lot of about Dharma, but his central theme is 'Brotherhood.... I said in this context....One dont need to struggle, for finding message of love in Veda's.. I can blindly say, it will be there, in plenty of pages..

Dear Anand, apologize me for the delayed response.. Hmm!! it slipped out my mind too..btw, I have cut and pasted your posts selectively, just to make it
crispy & reader friendly... not a 'Selective quoting' though..

>>>I can cite 2 examples, a former judge M.M. Ismail and Dr. Abdul Kalam. Both were stalwarts in Hinduism>>Kalam could recite the Vedas that he was actually known as Kalam Iyer by his colleagues>>

If i say, this is just a political statement from you, whats your take on this?..Can you say authentically, most of the Indian Moslems are stalwarts in Hinduism/Vedas.. Have you ever worked with them to educate them about vedas... If so, im with you...Say suppose if Vajpayee converts to Islam,will you agree, islam is great. How about A.R.Rehman then!!. Are you comparing the personalities/supporters of religion to authenticate your idea of God? Arent you on the look out for Brand Ambassadors for a Grand Old Religion?Btw, calling APJ Kalam as an iyer,proves the lack of knowledge about religon, inspite of you having some positive winner aspects/traits, like, 'Appropriating a winner'.. Instead of appropriating APJ, when will you say, common boy, 10Mn untouchables are now chanting vedas like APJ.In my view, quoting APJ Kalam is almost a materialistic one. Tomorrow, for your pride-count, you may not hesistate to appropriate A.R.Rehman/Salman Rushdie/Amir Khan/Osama(great Kshatrya)as Brahmins, after all they can also mug up vedas and recite back..btw, I do appreciate your idea of appropriation... after all, your view is definitely harmonious, though not logical..

>>> It is very important to study and know how Christianity and Islam really evolved, developed and spread. To me they perfectly fit the concept of
apauresheya (man-made) religions.>>

Again a Parivar statement.. All religions are man-made including hinduism. Veda's and Upanishads are not dropped by a man from Sky. God has not handed over
any religions to us..For you and me, may be hinduism be looking as a naturally evolved one, and so you call it as non-organised religion, just because,it's history is not well recorded in the past, and it was quite old, so we tend to feel its a naturally evolved religion..Even christianity couldnt trace it back beyond Abraham and it shoots/skips up straight away by a few million years, in to the mythological 'Creation of Adam & Eve'..

Matter of fact, its the human race esp, homosapiens had lot of unanswered questions esp, in terms of suffering/life after death/Purpose of life/Cause & effect etc etc, and their inability to find their answers, were blatantly attributed to an unknown higher power called 'GOD''.... As shri.KRS said in another post, about Physics/closed-open system & unsolved errors and in the inablility to find answer, we finally, as last resort, attribute them to God and Mystics. Blame it on rio!!

>>> That the harvest of souls is happening in right earnest>>

As you agreed with me somehow, that hindus(even Asians) are widely accomodative in nature, but Hindu philosophy is not accomodate , which is quite natural, cos contradictory philosophies cannot be accommodative..After all concept of God in Shivaism/Vaishanvism is not philosophicall accomodative.. Will talk about it in detail in the next post..

Lemme ask you, whats your probem in harvesting back an Indian-Christian soul? If we could harvest USD and bring them back home to fill our attic, why not harvest an american soul?

Thats the part of our 'Dharma right', to make prevail everywhere.. Im sure the miniscule Indian christians dont have guts to hit you/burn you alive.... They have not retaliated for all the 200 innocent lives burnt by saffronites in Orrisa. So what stops? Are you well equipped with your spirituality/ideology to convince those converts, to make a comeback.. (Hope you wont run your own scratched L.P record called 'foreign money/aid/funds)..

>>> on one hand you say that you are not converting while actually doing so by publishing an Indian Bible with borrowed concepts from Vedas, adopt all kinds of “inculturation” processes>>>

I have heard many people saying that long before 'Dharma' prevailed in the whole world.. I think you should be glad if a Christian follows the concept of Vedas and you should rush to accomodate that kind of Christians within hindu fold.What exactly is your problem here in being accomodative to such a veda chanting Christian?. If not you, I think Sang parivar should be happy, cos they were against Christians, just because they perceived it as a foreign religion.. Now that you say, Churches are singing Vedic Hymns, I think, it should lead to a perfect harmony in India..May be you should appropriate the Christians, like how the south Indian buddhists were appropriated back.

Anand, I just used to this post to thrust some dilemma in you.. In my forthcoming post, I will respond to your post #48, in a touching theological/Philosophical/Sociological,harmonious & human way... Gimme some time..

Last edited:
Dear Sapr,
Thanks for your reply. Apologies for not being user friendly in my replies. Have tried to adopt the same technique as yours.

If i say, this is just a political statement from you, whats your take on this?..Can you say authentically, most of the Indian Moslems are stalwarts in Hinduism/Vedas.. Have you ever worked with them to educate them about vedas... If so, im with you...Say suppose if Vajpayee converts to Islam,will you agree, islam is great. How about A.R.Rehman then!!. Are you comparing the personalities/supporters of religion to authenticate your idea of God? Arent you on the lookout for Brand Ambassadors for a Grand Old Religion?Btw, calling APJ Kalam as an iyer,proves the lack of knowledge about religon, inspite of you having some positive winner aspects/traits, like, 'Appropriating a winner'.. Instead of appropriating APJ, when will you say, common boy, 10Mn untouchables are now chanting vedas like APJ.In my view, quoting APJ Kalam is almost a materialistic one. Tomorrow, for your pride-count, you may not hesistate to appropriate A.R.Rehman/Salman Rushdie/Amir Khan/Osama(great Kshatrya)as Brahmins, after all they can also mug up vedas and recite back..btw, I do appreciate your idea of appropriation... after all, your view is definitely harmonious, though not logical..

I cited the cases of APJ and MMI just to show that they appreciated Hinduism but did not convert to Hindus. Who am I to state that Muslims are stalwarts in Hinduism or not. I had said in a previous thread that I am not a supporter of conversion between religions so where is the question of seeking brand ambassadors. I am sure and proud of my religion, its doctrines and antiquity that I don’t need any ambassadors. I don’t understand the connectivity of materialism in quoting APJ. APJ is a well known personality and his love for Hinduism is well known so he is quoted. Similarly there could be lot of not famous people, untouchables and non-Hindus who may chant the Vedas and my salutations go to them as well. I don’t agree with this view of mugging up the Vedas. It is not some school text book to be just mugged up and recited. If you think so, it is a pity.

Again a Parivar statement.. All religions are man-made including hinduism. Veda's and Upanishads are not dropped by a man from Sky. God has not handed over
any religions to us..For you and me, may be hinduism be looking as a naturally evolved one, and so you call it as non-organised religion, just because,it's history is not well recorded in the past, and it was quite old, so we tend to feel its a naturally evolved religion..Even christianity couldnt trace it back beyond Abraham and it shoots/skips up straight away by a few million years, in to the mythological 'Creation of Adam & Eve'..

Matter of fact, its the human race esp, homosapiens had lot of unanswered questions esp, in terms of suffering/life after death/Purpose of life/Cause & effect etc etc, and their inability to find their answers, were blatantly attributed to an unknown higher power called 'GOD''.... As shri.KRS said in another post, about Physics/closed-open system & unsolved errors and in the inablility to find answer, we finally, as last resort, attribute them to God and Mystics. Blame it on rio!!

Your answer seems to indicate that you are a non-believer. Firstly, why Hindusim is called a apauresheya religion is because it is the exact opposite of your answer “Vedas and Upanishads are not dropped from the Sky”. Well, it did drop from the sky. The Hindu scriptures are divided into Shruti and Smriti. Shruti is the portion which was “heard” or “revealed” and includes the four Vedas, Upanishads and the Brahma-Sutras. The Rishis at their highest level of consciousness heard these from the sounds prevailing in the Universe and taught the others. So they were not man-made. Now your scientific mind can question this and say all this is BS. It is very easy to say all unproved things are attributed to GOD. Now tell me why they are still unproved in spite of mankind existing for ages. How do you explain how and why you have been created? Man has created numerous machines but has anything come close to the creation of the human body and mind which keeps ticking for 75 to 80 odd years. Even science says the “created” has to have a “creator”. Scientists agree if at all ETI exist their level of technology and consciousness would be at a much higher plane than human-beings. So a simplistic way of looking at it is to assume GOD as a super alien with extraordinary powers. I don’t have a problem with this. What I do have a problem is making a very simple statement that whatever is unknown or unproven is just attributed to GOD. The present day dilemma is if one is looking for outward answers to prove GOD it is going to be a failure and that is why our rishis or ancestors contemplated inward by whatever means to realize GOD.

As you agreed with me somehow, that hindus(even Asians) are widely accomodative in nature, but Hindu philosophy is not accomodate , which is quite natural, cos contradictory philosophies cannot be accommodative..After all concept of God in Shivaism/Vaishanvism is not philosophicall accomodative.. Will talk about it in detail in the next post..

Hinduism is much more accommodative than other religions. There is nothing contradictory here. There could be many doctrines like Dwaita, Vishistadvaita or Advaita and again the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is how each one saw God or the Supreme whether it was Ramanuja or Madhvacharya or Adi Shankara. But all of them were accommodated in our Dharma and what ensued were healthy debates about the respective systems. You did not find something like the Inquisition in Christianity or killing the kafirs (infidels) as in Islam.

Lemme ask you, whats your probem in harvesting back an Indian-Christian soul? If we could harvest USD and bring them back home to fill our attic, why not harvest an american soul?

Thats the part of our 'Dharma right', to make prevail everywhere.. Im sure the miniscule Indian christians dont have guts to hit you/burn you alive.... They have not retaliated for all the 200 innocent lives burnt by saffronites in Orrisa. So what stops? Are you well equipped with your spirituality/ideology to convince those converts, to make a comeback.. (Hope you wont run your own scratched L.P record called 'foreign money/aid/funds)..

You accuse me of a materialistic example when quoting Abdul Kalam and then compare harvesting USD with harvesting souls. Please decide which is more materialistic. The Swamiji in Orissa was killed by Christian missionaries as he was totally opposed to the conversion activities that were going on. The blame was put on the Maoists who then denied it. I have no problem in accepting as angels sometimes but putting the blame all the time on Hindus as sinners, frankly don’t understand. Haha, my LP will remain scratched as long as the foreign money issue remains.

I have heard many people saying that long before 'Dharma' prevailed in the whole world.. I think you should be glad if a Christian follows the concept of Vedas and you should rush to accomodate that kind of Christians within hindu fold.What exactly is your problem here in being accomodative to such a veda chanting Christian?. If not you, I think Sang parivar should be happy, cos they were against Christians, just because they perceived it as a foreign religion.. Now that you say, Churches are singing Vedic Hymns, I think, it should lead to a perfect harmony in India..May be you should appropriate the Christians, like how the south Indian buddhists were appropriated back

Honestly I am baffled by your opinion on this. Now I am beginning to think whether you are a Christian in the guise of a tambram. Just kidding, no offence. Is Christianity such an unoriginal religion that they have to convert based on borrowed concepts? I know it is personally but the question is posed to you. Ok, the Christianity you love want to spread the concept of a Jesus chanting Vedas. So if the missionary want to make Christianity like Hinduism why can’t he leave the poor Hindus alone who are anyway originally Hindus. If his goal is to address the poverty of Hindus this can be done without conversion, isn’t it? If conversion becomes a condition for upliftment by dangling the same old concepts now in a fresh package, isn’t this religion operating like one gigantic profit-making corporation. No problems, operate like one but then don’t talk about miracles of Jesus, spiritual transformation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back