• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Developing Old Agraharams as Retirement Villages/Old Age Homes

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sankara_sharmah

Recently I have been looking at the web site of Kali Village which I had posted in another thread. It set me back thinking. We have always dreamt of settling down in a village on the Banks of Cauvery or Thamraparani in our old age. Have a small house. Grow the flowers required for our daily Puja. Go to the temple in the morning. Have a bath in the village pond and so on. We had even short listed some places. But then the passage of years has robbed many of these of their charm. They have either been abandoned or have become the nucleus of a some commercial phenomena like Thirukkadaiyur.

Still there are many Agraharams in Tamil Nadu which still retain their old charm. River nearby, Temples and nature. What they lack is modern facilities.

Just now when I was posting in the thread about old age, I was wondering whether it is possible to develop some of the old Agraharams as Retirement Villages.

A developer could acquire the entire or a major portion of the Agraharam, Modernise the houses. Not build concrete structures but provide old houses with modern conveniences. Develop the infrastructure. I am sure there will be a huge demand for these.

What do you think? Can we get some developers interested.

By the way it is quite possible that someone has already done this. If so please post details.

Thank You.

Dear Sir,
It is a very good idea particularly for those whose kids are away in foreign countries.

Why only those? You take my case. I stay with my wife in a flat in a Metro. Though we are quite happy, a time may come when we are not able to physically manage alone. Cooking, taking care of payment of bills, buying vegetables etc. etc. may become too much of a burden.

We are on the lookout for a retirement village where there will a common kitchen or at least some place where we get our food and where everything else is taken care of. Looking for investing in a place where we can shift later. Want a place with a temple.

There are many posh places coming up. But they are not for spiritual seekers. They boast of facilities like Florida retirement communities. But the atmosphere is not good for spiritual seekers.

Then there are ashrams where Spiritual seekers can go. But these are under particular Gurus where all the people follow that Guru.

Surprisingly there are some ashrams in the U.S which are really good.

I would be very much interested in investing in a retirement village of the type I mentioned above. I am sure there would be many like me.

Why only those? You take my case. I stay with my wife in a flat in a Metro. Though we are quite happy, a time may come when we are not able to physically manage alone. Cooking, taking care of payment of bills, buying vegetables etc. etc. may become too much of a burden.

We are on the lookout for a retirement village where there will a common kitchen or at least some place where we get our food and where everything else is taken care of. Looking for investing in a place where we can shift later. Want a place with a temple.

There are many posh places coming up. But they are not for spiritual seekers. They boast of facilities like Florida retirement communities. But the atmosphere is not good for spiritual seekers.

Then there are ashrams where Spiritual seekers can go. But these are under particular Gurus where all the people follow that Guru.

Surprisingly there are some ashrams in the U.S which are really good.

I would be very much interested in investing in a retirement village of the type I mentioned above. I am sure there would be many like me.

Sri Sankara Sharma Sir,

I wrote about a school in these forums

Vidyanidhi Trust

Just on the way to the school, few KMs before there is a place called Thirupalaivanam

Thirupalaivanam Sivan Koil

There is an excellent well maintained sivan temple with a beautiful tank in the place. The Gurukkal is very nice.

It may be approx 50 KMs from Chennai city, a very peaceful calm atmosphere.

Land in that area may around 10 to 15 lakh Rs per acre and buying one or two acres is not difficult.

There is a river Araniar nearby.

One acre is approx 43500 sq.ft and we can construct 40% of the land area leaving the remaining to common use.

It means approx 17,500 sq.ft could be constructed per acre.

Using local materials and restricting only to ground floor, we can limit the construction cost at say around Rs.500 per sq.ft. Offcourse we can have all the modern facilities. Decent floorings, airconditioned room, western toilets etc.

Leaving approx 2500 sq.ft for common kitchen, dining hall, library, common laundary etc, probably we can have around 15000 sq.ft for the individual occupants.

If we restrict say a maximum of 500 sq ft per occupant, we can have 30 occupant families totally.

Occupants can visit the temple regularly and also spend some time in the school helping them with some services.

If some of the occupants or their spouses are interested, they can do teaching in the school also. Off course they don't have to have 9 to 5 schedule.

Engineers can help in vocational training of the locals. Doctors can do service in the dispensary of the school. Accountants can help in maintaining books and auditing of the trust. Other professionals can do appropriate services.

But all the above should be of charitable nature without any money motive.

If the project is made into two acres, a Vedha Padasala also could be thought of on charitable basis. The children can have formal education in the school apart from vedha classes under a guru. Vedha padasala could be run through donations and I am fairly confident of raising donations.

The place is approx 50 KM north of Chennai and around 10 KMs from Ponneri railway station( Chennai Vijayawada route) where sub-urban trains are available to Chennai City regularly. School has vans which could be used outside school hours for visiting Chennai City once in a while.

We have to do entire thing under one corporate body or trust so that no body owns individual residential accommodation but can live happily till their life time. Probably we can collect a one time fee for rest of their life or one time admission fee plus monthly charges. Monthly charges could be paid through dividing system.

We can have all common facilities including wi fi internet, newspapers, magazines, tv etc so that people need not invest individually.

If you feel the above is basically workable, let us discuss further details and I shall try to organise the land. If you feel it is not ok, then let us leave as it is.

All the best

rvr,

good idea. i think in the spirit of pan hinduism, we should open and encourage it to all veggie hindus - there are TBs who eat meat & NB who abjure it.

also, if a veda patasala is opened, a target of say 50% NB should be aimed for. also the school should be complementing regular secular education, and not an absolute by itself. this way, we are teaching the yougnsters one skillset and a trade at the same time. :)

Sri Sankara Sharma Sir,

I wrote about a school in these forums

Vidyanidhi Trust

Just on the way to the school, few KMs before there is a place called Thirupalaivanam

Thirupalaivanam Sivan Koil

There is an excellent well maintained sivan temple with a beautiful tank in the place. The Gurukkal is very nice.

It may be approx 50 KMs from Chennai city, a very peaceful calm atmosphere.

Land in that area may around 10 to 15 lakh Rs per acre and buying one or two acres is not difficult.

There is a river Araniar nearby.

One acre is approx 43500 sq.ft and we can construct 40% of the land area leaving the remaining to common use.

It means approx 17,500 sq.ft could be constructed per acre.

Using local materials and restricting only to ground floor, we can limit the construction cost at say around Rs.500 per sq.ft. Offcourse we can have all the modern facilities. Decent floorings, airconditioned room, western toilets etc.

Leaving approx 2500 sq.ft for common kitchen, dining hall, library, common laundary etc, probably we can have around 15000 sq.ft for the individual occupants.

If we restrict say a maximum of 500 sq ft per occupant, we can have 30 occupant families totally.

Occupants can visit the temple regularly and also spend some time in the school helping them with some services.

If some of the occupants or their spouses are interested, they can do teaching in the school also. Off course they don't have to have 9 to 5 schedule.

Engineers can help in vocational training of the locals. Doctors can do service in the dispensary of the school. Accountants can help in maintaining books and auditing of the trust. Other professionals can do appropriate services.

But all the above should be of charitable nature without any money motive.

If the project is made into two acres, a Vedha Padasala also could be thought of on charitable basis. The children can have formal education in the school apart from vedha classes under a guru. Vedha padasala could be run through donations and I am fairly confident of raising donations.

The place is approx 50 KM north of Chennai and around 10 KMs from Ponneri railway station( Chennai Vijayawada route) where sub-urban trains are available to Chennai City regularly. School has vans which could be used outside school hours for visiting Chennai City once in a while.

We have to do entire thing under one corporate body or trust so that no body owns individual residential accommodation but can live happily till their life time. Probably we can collect a one time fee for rest of their life or one time admission fee plus monthly charges. Monthly charges could be paid through dividing system.

We can have all common facilities including wi fi internet, newspapers, magazines, tv etc so that people need not invest individually.

If you feel the above is basically workable, let us discuss further details and I shall try to organise the land. If you feel it is not ok, then let us leave as it is.

All the best

Sri.RVR,

Really sounds like a plan! I don't mind purchasing a small piece of land and put up a simple dwelling. I know that area you are talking about. (Used to work in Gummidipoondi). I and my wife can organise care plans for the elderly (We are Registered Nurses; part of our work is caring for the elderly). I will consult with my wife about this.

Cheers!

RVR,

I am sorry. My post has been misunderstood. When I talked about investing I only meant buying a house or land in such a village.

Your proposal looks good. What you need is a developer. Not a recluse like me who has given up Loukikam for all practical purposes.

Once again I apologize for causing the misunderstanding.

RVR,

I am sorry. My post has been misunderstood. When I talked about investing I only meant buying a house or land in such a village.

Your proposal looks good. What you need is a developer. Not a recluse like me who has given up Loukikam for all practical purposes.

Once again I apologize for causing the misunderstanding.

Sri Sankar Sarma Sir,

Why do you feel bad and apologize for such a small thing. We are just discussing the possibilities only and if it is not feasible, we are going to drop it.

Anyway having started discussing on this topic and getting kudos from Sri Kunjuppu and Sri Raghy, we can still evaluate the proposal.

I have a leading architect friend , a Ph.D from IIT, Madras. He will happily do the master plan for us and may also be willing to take a portion in the proposed project.

Several developpers are known to me but we are not planning a very big construction.

I can also take the help of Sri Elango of http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/4413-gandhian-economics-village.html for construction of cottages using local materials at low cost.

We can do the project at a highly affordable cost if sufficient number of people are willing take part in the project.

As I said earlier, we can have a common trust or society where all of us can be members.

I request response from other members also.

All the best

I welcome the suggestion to think of developing a "new" agraharam for willing seniors to spend retired life happily and peacefully following some of their traditional wishes.

Though some more years for me to reach shashtiabdapurthy, I shall join the venture subject to affordability. The USP( rather UAP-unique attracting points) I look is commonality of purpose, similar lifestyle, wish and will to have a mutually helping , co-operating , respecting ,pious ,vegetarian day-to-day life . A common temple, a pond and a garden around. to the possible extent pollution free.Amenities at reachable distance.

A condition should be that those who leave or do not occupy should surrender it back to the trust or common administration, to give to a similar person. There should not be a profit motive.

This is only an initial spark. With inputs from more members , these can be refined and a finished product(project) can be conceived and implemented.

( I am giving some links of images of Agraharams-- tempting and inviting nostalgia- shall we build similar and modern,Agraharams.

Greetings

links:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20252124@N00/3124642147

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thehypnotist/3125439852/in/photostream/

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_M9nLhqf9M...io0/s1600-h/Kalpathy+Heritage+Village+015.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UQgZOt4A5Jg/SUpvQAjx2SI/AAAAAAAAAsc/uLvzgqVQG5k/s1600-h/Old+Kalpathy.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger2/7229/825273708621427/240/z/328480/gse_multipart34654.jpg

http://images.travelpod.com/users/motionpicture/1.1202895120.brahmins-onlyx-yox.jpg

http://www.tamilnow.com/gallery/tamil-nadu/dakshina-chitra/ambur-house-agraharam.html

Last edited by a moderator:
very good proposal: at this early stage of chalking out outlines of the plan, a look at the existing 'agraharams', some of them being renovated, will provide useful guidelines, as aptly recommended by Sri SK in the above post. i am sure quite a few of us would be interested. ( i am already looking around, and i am fascinated by Sri SankaraSharma's idea of a good river, with temple nearby: not familiar with Pulicat region, but trichy region and Tirunelveli are familiar to me, and i am in touch with a few Palakkad villages through visits in recent times) - rj.

Vey good idea sir.

In fact my father after his retirement has gone back to our native village : Vaduvur in Thanjavur jilla now part of Thiruvarau district on the banks of the Cauvery(vadavaru- a distributary of cauvery) a beautiful and famous Kothandarama temple and Patasala with 70 students which teaches Krishna yajur vedam also exists. There are a few Mahaans/Acharyas who also reside here following the age old customs.
Lot of Agraharam houses are modernised and the Agraharam looks good now with lots of oldtimers coming back from the metros. A huge eri and temple tank (kulam) makes the atmosphere. We have modernised our house but still have the old koodam and Thaavaram and oonjal along with Mittam retaining the old well. It's ideal for doing trikala Sandhyavandanam.

As paramacharya used to differentiate between quality of life and standard of life -say the quality of life is fantastic in such spiritual locations. Life is contented.

For anybody interested I can help with the best of my abilities.

Regards.

very good proposal: at this early stage of chalking out outlines of the plan, a look at the existing 'agraharams', some of them being renovated, will provide useful guidelines, as aptly recommended by Sri SK in the above post. i am sure quite a few of us would be interested. ( i am already looking around, and i am fascinated by Sri SankaraSharma's idea of a good river, with temple nearby: not familiar with Pulicat region, but trichy region and Tirunelveli are familiar to me, and i am in touch with a few Palakkad villages through visits in recent times) - rj.
Sri Rajuvish,

Please go through the following weblinks

Pulicat Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pulicat Sanctuary, Pulicat Wildlife Sanctuary, Pulicat Sanctuary Tours, Wildlife in Pulicat, Pulicat Sanctuary Andhra Pradesh

Pulicat may be 6 to 8 kms from Thirupalaivanam where I propose the project in the inner land.

It is a tourist spot with bird sanctuary, boating and an island in the Tamilnadu side and wild life sanctuary on the Andhra side. The area of is full green with paddy cultivation.

All the best

I welcome the suggestion to think of developing a "new" agraharam for willing seniors to spend retired life happily and peacefully following some of their traditional wishes.

Though some more years for me to reach shashtiabdapurthy, I shall join the venture subject to affordability. The USP( rather UAP-unique attracting points) I look is commonality of purpose, similar lifestyle, wish and will to have a mutually helping , co-operating , respecting ,pious ,vegetarian day-to-day life . A common temple, a pond and a garden around. to the possible extent pollution free.Amenities at reachable distance.

A condition should be that those who leave or do not occupy should surrender it back to the trust or common administration, to give to a similar person. There should not be a profit motive.

This is only an initial spark. With inputs from more members , these can be refined and a finished product(project) can be conceived and implemented.

( I am giving some links of images of Agraharams-- tempting and inviting nostalgia- shall we build similar and modern,Agraharams.

Greetings

links:

Agraharam on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Exhibit of old Brahmin House on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Kalpathy+Heritage+Village+015.jpg (image)

Old+Kalpathy.jpg (image)

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger2/7229/825273708621427/240/z/328480/gse_multipart34654.jpg

http://images.travelpod.com/users/motionpicture/1.1202895120.brahmins-onlyx-yox.jpg

Dakshina chitra Photo Gallery : Ambur house agraharam

Sri Surya Kasyapa,

What we are planning is a low cost affair so that afford-ability is provided for everybody.

Let us get more inputs from other members so that we can move forward.

Thanks for your links of various agraharams.

All the best

Sri.RVR,

An accomadation for 100 to 120 persons would be ideal to start. It can be like an hostel. A block of 20 seperate rooms with a bathroom shared by two occupants would be ideal. Alternatively, 4 rooms sharing one bathroom and two toilets can be designed too. One sick/isolation bay comprising of at least 10 beds is required. This sick bay should be a free standing block, slightly away from the rest of the accomadations. Unfortunately, high care facility in the initial stages could be very restricting though. A centralised dining hall or dining halls; recreation area are required. On the spot small kiosk selling flowers, stamps etc, ATM and weekly once or twice banking facilities at the site may be organised while planning. A paved walking track is a must. A waliking track around a small shrine would be nice for seeking exercise and punniyam at the same time! Wheel chairs must be kept handy; oxygen supply should be important; the place should get a regular doctor's visit, may be weekly and should have access to 24 hours doctor's visit.

These are some of the points just came to my mind. There wil be more points to consider....

Cheers!

thank you very much, Sri RVR, for the quick response. nice to see minds racing and ideas taking 'shape' rapidly. i recall the forum talking about a project like this some three months ago. please count me in, i am interested. i looked at 'vidyanidhi trust' details available on net, after Sri RVR mentioned that last week in the 'aging gracefully' thread, and gathered some details about Pulicat region as well. exciting. i do believe that lot of people need to go back to villages, and build up the village culture, for the good of the country - this, independent of considerations of religion, caste etc., and on considerations of contributing to ecology balance, farming and, generally, 'naturalism'. "NavaDarshanam", in avillage between B'lore and Hosur, is an example. (they have a website, giving details -- i visited once, found it a bit too 'exclusive' in some ways). contributing to an already existing, functioning charitable activity like Vidyanidhi, is a great idea, too. -- regards, rj.

separate washrooms. no shared facility for this one. :)

this plan looks like a college hostel. ultimately we may end up something like, as this would be very inexpensive and affordable across the board :)

we can build our own little artificial stream with a gurgling brook. no need for us to go near one. let the water come to us and be recycled.

Sri.RVR,

An accomadation for 100 to 120 persons would be ideal to start. It can be like an hostel. A block of 20 seperate rooms with a bathroom shared by two occupants would be ideal. Alternatively, 4 rooms sharing one bathroom and two toilets can be designed too. One sick/isolation bay comprising of at least 10 beds is required. This sick bay should be a free standing block, slightly away from the rest of the accomadations. Unfortunately, high care facility in the initial stages could be very restricting though. A centralised dining hall or dining halls; recreation area are required. On the spot small kiosk selling flowers, stamps etc, ATM and weekly once or twice banking facilities at the site may be organised while planning. A paved walking track is a must. A waliking track around a small shrine would be nice for seeking exercise and punniyam at the same time! Wheel chairs must be kept handy; oxygen supply should be important; the place should get a regular doctor's visit, may be weekly and should have access to 24 hours doctor's visit.

These are some of the points just came to my mind. There wil be more points to consider....

Cheers!

We should not develop like a hostel. Each dwelling unit has to be self contained with bath rooms, toilets and a small kitchen to prepareCoffee, Tea, Bread toasting etc

Mess can be common with dining rooms

Library, Wifi etc could be centralised.

We should provide privacy and at the same time some shared facilities.

All the best

We should not develop like a hostel. Each dwelling unit has to be self contained with bath rooms, toilets and a small kitchen to prepareCoffee, Tea, Bread toasting etc

Mess can be common with dining rooms

Library, Wifi etc could be centralised.

We should provide privacy and at the same time some shared facilities.

All the best
I also support RVR's views. Though we are trying to have low cost, it may be useful if you could have a visit to "Vanaprasta" and "Dhyanaprasta" in Vadavalli, Coimbatore. These are quite good. I could have got in there in the formation stage but I was not alert.

I am interested in your project.

hi RVR sir,
some provisions for NRIs like me....may be just for flying visit ppl.....like home away from home....some dwelling units for NRI brahmins....for
short visit for NRI brahmin couples....provisions accomodation with food with brahmin atmosphere.....

regards
tbs

Vey good idea sir.

In fact my father after his retirement has gone back to our native village : Vaduvur in Thanjavur jilla now part of Thiruvarau district on the banks of the Cauvery(vadavaru- a distributary of cauvery) a beautiful and famous Kothandarama temple and Patasala with 70 students which teaches Krishna yajur vedam also exists. There are a few Mahaans/Acharyas who also reside here following the age old customs.
Lot of Agraharam houses are modernised and the Agraharam looks good now with lots of oldtimers coming back from the metros. A huge eri and temple tank (kulam) makes the atmosphere. We have modernised our house but still have the old koodam and Thaavaram and oonjal along with Mittam retaining the old well. It's ideal for doing trikala Sandhyavandanam.

As paramacharya used to differentiate between quality of life and standard of life -say the quality of life is fantastic in such spiritual locations. Life is contented.

For anybody interested I can help with the best of my abilities.

Regards.

Thank you. Your village looks good. I will get in touch with you.

We have to think of provisions for NRI's in the premises definitely. Even people from other parts of the country within India can make it a transit home. Since Chennai City is very near (Could be reached within one hour) they don't have to disturbe the relatives or spend money on hotels when they visit Chennai.

Defintely we have to make the accommodations with attached bath rooms and toilets providing adequate privacy.

LIke our Dr Jambu Sir, if somebody wants to go `high and wet' in the evening, privacy will help (Sorry Jambu sir for quoting you. You may have lot of companions in our forum but have boldy expressed your preferences)

As suggested by Sri Kunjuppu, it need not be a strict agraharam like olden days and we can consider accommodating vegetarians belonging to other communities within Hindu religion. In our Vaishavi temple complex, we accommodate vegetarians of other communities and they fully participate in the temple activities with complete devotion. It is just my opinion only but I would like to leave it to collective judgement.

Swamy Dayananda Sarasvathi and his disciples teaches vedhas to all communities. If we plan a vedha patasala, we can leave the management to them and they will manage the funding portion also.

I request all of you to deliberate further so that we can finalise.

All the best

If something is taking shape please do let us know .you have our address and mail id too . we really interested but subject to affordability. we are currently in bangalore and would like to be part of anything like this.
Already there is one in the outskirts of coimbatore and another in hosur sankara village coming up.

rvr,

there might be folks, who buy now for future use. they can rent out the place to out of town visitors based on weekly or monthly charges? this may cause a floating tenancy for some, but should be ok as long as it is within control re behaviour, norms, numbers etc

re opening up to hindu veggies, i would suggest that be a founding principle. if you leave it to the folks decision, as found in other threads, prejudices and narrow minds appear to rule the day. it is time that they are led out of darkness by enlightened folks like you.

thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back