• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Definition of a successful marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
the love of the partner's presence, friendship, trust, some laughter, some tears, and lots of hope for the future together, i suppose sorta completes a relationship called marriage.

Dear Raghy, the above is what I tried to convey with my ponytail tale. I know, more than anyone else, that nobody here is interested in what is on my head, outside or inside it. Some may even think both are the same -- what is inside and outside.

Marriage is not a division of labor or understanding or a list of do's and don'ts. It is all about L-O-V-E -- keep it alive and vibrant, have fun, enjoy life together. Even when you fight put L-O-V-E upfront.

Cheers!

It is nice to see fun in this thread :)
I know from the threads I read, this website is very serious.:fencing:

Nara Sir,

that nobody here is interested in what is on my head, outside or inside it.
I’m sure there are some people who are interested in what is in your head. Outside your head, No not me :)

Marriage is not a division of labor or understanding or a list of do's and don'ts. It is all about L-O-V-E -- keep it alive and vibrant, have fun, enjoy life together. Even when you fight put L-O-V-E upfront.
Pls. define L-O-V-E. Recently, I have a discussion with friend about wavelength/frequency matching before marriage. I also discussed on Love at first sight. I’m not married. Pls. explain with more tales. We need some humor in this website.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Raghy Ji,

>>The best meals we ever had was served in Kumbakonam.
I felt the same. I stayed there for some time. We were travelling towards some sani temple.

Nara ji,

Are people from Kumbakonam lazy? :)

Cheers!

Dear Raghy, the above is what I tried to convey with my ponytail tale.

Not very successfully by the looks of it :). Sorry I can't resist.

I know, more than anyone else, that nobody here is interested in what is on my head, outside or inside it. Some may even think both are the same -- what is inside and outside.

I dunno about irony but you certainly have a knack for self-deprecating humour!!.

I have attempted to give a brief explanation about a successful marriage.

i think, in marriages, one of the important challenges is how to deal with each others' parents and siblings.

in #6 there is a reference to the relatives, more from a viewpoint of patching up quarrels, than being the source of quarrels themselves.

in real life, i think, during the early stages of marriage, the immediate family can play havoc on an exploratory relationship. it is where power play goes into full swing, i think. after all, once the thali is tied, the woman, i think has the upper hand.

it is only years later, that the partners, understand the havoc played by parents, inlaws all in an elaborate game, which is repeated marriage after marriage.

ideal marriage rules, i think, can, should and would, do good. atleast repeated often, so that, it becomes a ready reference for quarrels, in early stages. and hopefully, a mental note to remember in times of crisis, later in life.

but like calcification, couples get into a rut. over the years. i think so. in our heritage, we do not have the practice of retreat or renewal. so that we do not have the time to reflect and recharge our ideals. the xtians, atleast in india, i think do practice this, though i don't know, these days, how diligently.

every year, we need to get away, both husband and wife, separately, to a retreat, to go through an organized agenda of reflection including review of marriage & children.

i prefer the organized agenda, for in it, i hope, will include, examining their own individual strengths, weakness, extending it to their immediate family, areas of discord, how to resolve them etc etc.

here in toronto, there are private organizations that do such stuff. but, these do for couples together. again, there is so disparage a crowd, ie from all backgrounds (though mostly white), it may be difficult for some to relate (this i am saying from hearsay only).

being humans, i think we are basically flawed. i believe, we are born pure, but with the influences of our parents, friends, community, world etc we become corrupted. i mean 'corrupted' in the neutral sense, in that, many of the attitudes & practices that we acquire are neither bad nor good.

i imagine, in the old paradigm, where we all lived in agraharams, had known our community intimately through nearness and nosiness, the question of a 'secret' vice was never an issue. (remember girish karnad's samskara this moment!!).

nowadays, with us parted even from our parents, in search of a livelihood, i personally think, that no one really knows the real you. when i see the ads in the matrimonial columns proclaiming so many virtues that even if i extend my utmost tolerance re credulity, i cannot but shake my head in disbelief at the 'holiness' of these guys and gals of the TB community.

apparently all these are saints. i would personally demur from responding to those overtures, for fear of corrupting them, or commiting sins for generations to come, for violating those proclaimed purities. i prefer so, to believe, that these people, lie, to some extent or more or almost all.

how can anyone, in the context of such lies, and even more, such ignorant perception on the part of their parents, ever hope to have a 'successful' mutally agreeing 'successful' marraige? i wonder.

after all these years, i think, as a community we are doomed, into seducing ourselves that we are brilliant, intelligent, and above all, following a set of rules, we can also have the luxury of happy marriages.

it took isaac newton only 3 laws to explain the universe. yet, he felt like a child, playing on the seashore, picking up a pebble of knowledge here and there, while the boundless ocean of knowledge lay undiscovered before him.

we, in our extreme wisdom, endeavour to do better, but in 10 or so laws? i don't know. maybe we would. time alone will tell.

QED.

Last edited:
....remember girish karnad's samskara this moment!!.

Just read a Wiki article on it, would have never known about it but for you citing it. The summary plot itself is quite poignant. I am now dyeing to see it, with English subtitle obviously.

Very wise post indeed my friend......

i think, in marriages, one of the important challenges is how to deal with each others' parents and siblings.

in #6 there is a reference to the relatives, more from a viewpoint of patching up quarrels, than being the source of quarrels themselves.

in real life, i think, during the early stages of marriage, the immediate family can play havoc on an exploratory relationship. it is where power play goes into full swing, i think. after all, once the thali is tied, the woman, i think has the upper hand.

it is only years later, that the partners, understand the havoc played by parents, inlaws all in an elaborate game, which is repeated marriage after marriage.

ideal marriage rules, i think, can, should and would, do good. atleast repeated often, so that, it becomes a ready reference for quarrels, in early stages. and hopefully, a mental note to remember in times of crisis, later in life.

but like calcification, couples get into a rut. over the years. i think so. in our heritage, we do not have the practice of retreat or renewal. so that we do not have the time to reflect and recharge our ideals. the xtians, atleast in india, i think do practice this, though i don't know, these days, how diligently.

every year, we need to get away, both husband and wife, separately, to a retreat, to go through an organized agenda of reflection including review of marriage & children.

i prefer the organized agenda, for in it, i hope, will include, examining their own individual strengths, weakness, extending it to their immediate family, areas of discord, how to resolve them etc etc.

here in toronto, there are private organizations that do such stuff. but, these do for couples together. again, there is so disparage a crowd, ie from all backgrounds (though mostly white), it may be difficult for some to relate (this i am saying from hearsay only).

being humans, i think we are basically flawed. i believe, we are born pure, but with the influences of our parents, friends, community, world etc we become corrupted. i mean 'corrupted' in the neutral sense, in that, many of the attitudes & practices that we acquire are neither bad nor good.

i imagine, in the old paradigm, where we all lived in agraharams, had known our community intimately through nearness and nosiness, the question of a 'secret' vice was never an issue. (remember girish karnad's samskara this moment!!).

nowadays, with us parted even from our parents, in search of a livelihood, i personally think, that no one really knows the real you. when i see the ads in the matrimonial columns proclaiming so many virtues that even if i extend my utmost tolerance re credulity, i cannot but shake my head in disbelief at the 'holiness' of these guys and gals of the TB community.

apparently all these are saints. i would personally demur from responding to those overtures, for fear of corrupting them, or commiting sins for generations to come, for violating those proclaimed purities. i prefer so, to believe, that these people, lie, to some extent or more or almost all.

how can anyone, in the context of such lies, and even more, such ignorant perception on the part of their parents, ever hope to have a 'successful' mutally agreeing 'successful' marraige? i wonder.

after all these years, i think, as a community we are doomed, into seducing ourselves that we are brilliant, intelligent, and above all, following a set of rules, we can also have the luxury of happy marriages.

it took isaac newton only 3 laws to explain the universe. yet, he felt like a child, playing on the seashore, picking up a pebble of knowledge here and there, while the boundless ocean of knowledge lay undiscovered before him.

we, in our extreme wisdom, endeavour to do better, but in 10 or so laws? i don't know. maybe we would. time alone will tell.

QED.
hi kunjuppu sir,
i know only newton's 3rd law.........each and every action has
opposite and equal reaction...this same karma theory of hinduism
in the context of marriage....marriage is a theory of karma...
may be prarabdha karma........my 2 cents...

regards
tbs

I fully agree with TBS view that Newton's third law works in day to day life - For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. It works with everybody whether it is wife, children, relatives or friends.

Women empowerment is welcome. But it should not go to their head. It should help them in an independent but at the same time adjusting life style.

Male folks also have to adjust themselves to the changing scenerio. They cannot boss over their wives like olden days.

Mother in laws and others should realise that their role is highly marginalised.

Whatever problem occurs in the family affects the children most. Everybody should think about the children and act accordingly.

All the best

Sri.Nara,

"Dear Raghy, I know, more than anyone else, that nobody here is interested in what is on my head, outside or inside it. Some may even think both are the same -- what is inside and outside."

Sri.Nara, I don't know about others (may be they know more than I do. I will not completely dismiss them though!). When I saw your picture (yes..) the first thing I said to my wife was 'இத்த பாருப்பா! Sri. Nara has a sigai!'. Couple of days later she showed me a picture of much younger Sri.Nara with his wife :)D) and said 'I can't see the sigai in this picture'. So, when we see your picture, we see the prominence of your sigai or the apparent lack of it.

"Dear Raghy, the above is what I tried to convey with my ponytail tale."

'the above' is "the love of the partner's presence, friendship, trust, some laughter, some tears, and lots of hope for the future together, i suppose sorta completes a relationship called marriage."

Did you try to tell all that with the sigai and rubber band story? Why don't you save your புருடா to someone else, please? No wonder your wife called you 'kumbakonathaan'. (My wife can't admonish me by mentioning my place of birth. We are from the same village, same street! How is that? :becky: ).

(I am glad it is you facing the music about the rubber band. In our home, you can find 'rubber band factories' on the floor in every room!).

Cheers!

Sri.Kunjuppu,

Your message in post #31 is great.

" i think, during the early stages of marriage, the immediate family can play havoc on an exploratory [COLOR=#5ea0c3 !important][COLOR=#5ea0c3 !important]relationship[/COLOR][/COLOR]
grey_loader.gif

. it is where power play goes into full swing, i think. after all, once the thali is tied, the woman, i think has the upper hand."

"when i see the ads in the [COLOR=#5ea0c3 !important][COLOR=#5ea0c3 !important]matrimonial[/COLOR][/COLOR]

columns proclaiming so many virtues that even if i extend my utmost tolerance re credulity, i cannot but shake my head in disbelief at the 'holiness' of these guys and gals of the TB community.

apparently all these are saints. i would personally demur from responding to those overtures, for fear of corrupting them, or commiting sins for generations to come, for violating those proclaimed purities."

Our son sincerely believes the ads in matrimony site 100%. He refuses to approach even if he doesn't measure up in minor areas. He places such brides in 'too good to approach' list. He moves on; sometimes I do see parents from those 'too good to approach' list contacting our son. He does not reply them; he said to me that they should wait for their ideal match instead of settling for something lower than they deserve. (I gave up in his case. I stopped visiting matrimonial sites altogether).

"after all these years, i think, as a community we are doomed, into seducing ourselves that we are brilliant, intelligent, and above all, following a set of rules, we can also have the luxury of happy marriages."

I am observing the TB community going downhill for the last 30 years. Most people are finding fault from the outside; never willing to take responsibilities for the faults within. Now Sri.RVR says TB boys/girls ratio is 4 to 1. That really means that half the TB boys atleast would marry outside TB communities. That would further shrink the size of the community.

Sri.Kunjuppu, your write up reflects the reality well.

Cheers!

I and my wife were too naive. We were in love against our parents wishes. So, the they played havoc in our life for many years as a revenge (almost all the relatives had something to get even with!).

"it is only years later, that the partners, understand the havoc played by parents, inlaws all in an elaborate game, which is repeated marriage after marriage."

Ususlly yes, the relatives play an eloborate game; sometimes, in some cases the game turns out very serious in resulting the new relationship left burnent and stunted.

Dear Members, From the date of fixation of marriage, from the date when the demands from grooms side are heard there are knowinglyor unknowingly a layer of hatred towards husband from wife side. Eventhough it is not expressed in earlier stage of marriage later it is reflected in the deeds of wifes.
Lack of proper and free commnication is one of major cause.
There are three ways of happy marriage.
1. Assumed byt society that you are happy
2. Assumedby yourself that you are happy
3. Actually you are happy.
The third one is rare.
We try to pretend in front of the society that all are well. BUt once a chance gets then the flow of anger/anguish will be like a sunami.

I remember two incidents read some where when asked about how your life had beenvery successful till date.
One answer by husband was All national and international state level issued are dealt by me., and my wife deals only with house hold matters which i leave it to her.
The another answer was :We both are employed. Mine is day duty and her`s is night dutytill date. Hence we are happy.

If you restrict your freedom upto the nose of your spouse u will be happy. do not ponder toomuch. do not expect toomuch. happiness is there where you expect least. minimise ur eago. u will be happy. in office Boss is always correct. inlife spouse is always correct. thenyou will be happy always. simple :lalala:

............. in office Boss is always correct. inlife spouse is always correct. thenyou will be happy always. simple
Though am not eligible to comment on this thread, the above seems to be stereotyped advice, IMO... It forces a prejudiced conclusion onto the mindset of the individual - the key, is in being dynamic...

But if it was meant to be humour, excuse my reply...

Shri Nara,

kumbakonam kudumi tales... hmmm... something interesting like malgudi days?

Looks like you could offer some practical tips for good grooming of kudumis/ponytails to members (like me)... at least that is one area where I may possibly agree with you?

I see myself as an amateur 'would-be-kudumi'...;)

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back