• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Deergha Sumangali Bhava

Status
Not open for further replies.
sangom, i would not be surprised if your chithi patti had her head shaved too at 13, as happened to my athai patti - 11 years old. and died a ripe 80 years all with head shaved and mercy of relatives.

she too performed shraddham for her husband, though she never remembered how he looked, as she was whisked away after the wedding. there was no first night for her as the child husband died in a few months.

In our family too, a very similar case has been there. (I think I mentioned it also in one of my postings elsewhere.) My father's elder sister and the seemanthaputri of my grandparents, had been married at 9 years or so, widowed at 11, and lived to a ripe old age of 101! I really do not know when she was forced to shave off the hair on her head and don on white saree, but my earliest impression of her is only that of that special getup! She also used to perform shraaddha for her husband whose facial features even she could not recall! But even on such occasions, a woman is not considered 'fit' to perform the karma in her own individual right, but has to 'authorize' a male assistant by giving "pillu" to him! :(

sangom, i would not be surprised if your chithi patti had her head shaved too at 13, as happened to my athai patti - 11 years old. and died a ripe 80 years all with head shaved and mercy of relatives.

she too performed shraddham for her husband, though she never remembered how he looked, as she was whisked away after the wedding. there was no first night for her as the child husband died in a few months.

Kunjuppu,

As a young boy when I first saw this Chitti Paatti, nothing struck me as unusual because those days there so many such widows and was as much part of the "normal" society as "maDiSAr puDavai". Sari was the unusual, unorthodox, heretic (for a married tabra woman) and even a sign of 'loose morals'—in the eyes of the majority— and went under the euphemism "telungu poDavai keTTikkaRaa"! I don't know whether the "paaTTi vEsham" was compulsorily to be done immediately on the death of the husband, etc., even for a girl who had, perhaps, not attained puberty. But thinking back later on, I felt a certain sense of empathy and affection for her, though, in an overall context she was somewhat too selfish; I can now understand that also because they were only two sisters and she had very little to fall back upon and, as a pragmatic person, she would have thought of her lonely future a bit more intently.

True to her grit she lived alone in her house till almost the very last and went to my athai's house just a weak before her demise, by herself, in a taxi!

namaste shrI Sangom and others.

This and some other explicit “mantras” are also there. The priest utters these, but the groom may blissfully play the role of silent observer. So, it is for the Brahman unmarried boys to decide what each one should do.

I request shrI Sangom to clarify on the following, with reference to the mantra quoted in his post no.6:

I find that it is mentioned in the Tamizh books such as the Lifco's vivAha mantrArtha bodhinI and shrI KaDalanguDi Natesaiyar's vivAha mantranggaL edaRkAga? that

• in the sequence of marriage events, the married couple observe a trirAtra-vratam--vow of abstinence for three nights, starting from the night of the marriage and sleeping in the same shayanam--bed.

• On the last part of the fourth night, they perform what is called a seSha homam, the groom reciting a set of (ten) homa mantras.

• After this, the bride recites a mantra and looks at the groom, who in turn recites a mantra looking at her. Then, the groom recites a mantra and smears his heart and the heart of his wife with the left-over ghee of the homam.

• After this seSha homam is over, three mantras are recited, seeking the anugraha of the devas for a smooth conjugal life. The mantra Sangom has given occurs as the last of these three mantras.

I would request shrI Sangom to clarify that since this event of anointing the hearts and then reciting the procreation mantras take place on the late hours of the fourth night, if there is a chance of a priest reciting them on behalf of the couple or if these mantras and events are skipped altogether.

Rajbali Pandey, in his book Hindu Samskaras, explains the Symbolism of Hindu Nuptials. Here is a brief paraphrase:

• A Hindu marriage which the nuptials solemnize is not a social contract but a religious sacrement. This means that apart from the two human parties, the bride and the groom to it, there is a third superhuman, spiritual or divine element, on which depends the permanence of the basis of marriage. Without it the conjugal life loses its charm and durability. The mystic aspect of the Hindu marriage necessitates the use of a number of symbols.

• A ceremony called Arghya--showing respect, at the very beginning of the Hindu nuptials symbolizes the union of the fittest parties and confers great honour on the groom as the best among his equals.

• In marriage, the couple are united like two young plants, uprooted from different plots and transplanted into a new one. They have to rear up this union under a new bond by dedicating their entire energy in the direction of their common interest and ideal. One such item is the samanjjana--anointment, done by the father of the bride.

• The mounting the stone event, and looking at the Arundati star symbolize that marriage is a permanent and stable union.

Biological symbolism of marriage: The primary function of the marriage is racial, that is the continuity of the race through the procreation of the children. The Rgveda mantras 10.85.40-41 state about the bride: "First Soma had thee for his bride, the Gandharva had thee next. Agni was thy third husband; thy fourth husband am I, born of man. Soma gave thee to Gandharva; the Gandharva gave thee to Agni; and Agni has given thee to me for wealth and sons."

• The smRtis offer a clear interpretation of the above passage: "Soma gave them (Women) purity; the Gandharva bestowed sweet speech; and Agni sarvamedhatva or purity. (AtrismRti,137)"

• A modern writer (R.Raghunatha Rao in his 'Aryan Marriage', pp.26-27) further clarifies the suggestion:

"Soma is sasyAdhipati, the Lord of the Vegetable World; and presides also over the mind. ... The physical growth of the girl, including that of the hair is under the care of the god Soma. The mind of the girl also develops under his guidance. The Gandharva is the master of graces. It is his function to make woman's body beautiful and to add richness to her tone. Under his care the pelvis develops, the breasts become round and attractive. The eyes begin to speak the language of love and the whole body acquires rich hue His work is advanced and he hands her over to Agni. Who is Agni? He is the Lord of Fire, the Lord of Agni-tattva. Nature is radiant with colour and joy in Spring and Summer, animals breed in Spring, and Agni is the fructifier. It is he who brings about the menstrual flow and women then can bear children. Agni then gives her to man, her fourth Pati or Lord."

I think the explicit nuptial mantras in the vivAha ceremony could be understood in such contexts as above. It seems to me that the explicit references to the genital parts of the couple and the seeking of devAnugraha for their conjugal acts are like the kavacha mantras. Just as we chant the lines in a hymn like the skanda ShaShTi kavacham that refer to body parts, blissfully and without ignorance, it is possible to read between and behind the lines of the vivAha mantras that are explicit.

Dear all,

Wow!!!I am glad I started this thread..learning a lot..so all you guys..this is for you

Deergha Sumangala Bhava!!!!!!

I request shrI Sangom to clarify on the following, with reference to the mantra quoted in his post no.6:
. . .
I would request shrI Sangom to clarify that since this event of anointing the hearts and then reciting the procreation mantras take place on the late hours of the fourth night, if there is a chance of a priest reciting them on behalf of the couple or if these mantras and events are skipped altogether.

Shri Saidevo,

I am compelled to observe that perhaps you are not at all familiar with how tabra marriages are celebrated for some 40 0r 50 years now, or else you are still living in Apastamba's times!

It is true that Apastamba prescribes three nights of continence for the newly married couple. I reproduce below the relevant portions of the Grihya Sutra :

"7. Let him notice the day on which he brings his wife home.

8. (From that day) through three nights they should both sleep on the ground, they should be chaste, and should avoid salt and pungent food.

9. Between their sleeping-places a staff is interposed, which is anointed with perfumes and wrapped round with a garment or a thread.

10. In the last part of the fourth night he takes up the (staff) with the next two (verses; M. I, 10, 1-2), washes it and puts it away ; then (the ceremonies) from the putting of wood on the fire down to the A^yabhaga oblations (are performed), and while she takes hold of him, he sacrifices the oblations (indicated by the) next (Mantras ; M. I, 10, 3-9) ; then he enters upon the performance of the Jayā and following oblations, and performs (the rites) down to the sprinkling (of water) round (the fire). Then he makes her sit down to the west of the fire, facing the east, and pours some Ajya of the remains (of those oblations) on her head with the (three) Vyahṛtis and the word Om as the fourth (M. I, JO, 10-13). Then they look at each other with the next two verses (M. I, 11, 1-2), according to the characteristics* (contained in those verses); with the next verse (M. I, 11, 3) he besmears the region of their hearts with remains of Ajya ; then he should murmur the next three verses

(I, 11, 4-6), and should murmur the rest (of the Anuvaka ; I, 11, 7-1 1) when cohabiting with her.

11. Or another person should recite (the rest of the Anuvāka) over her, (before they cohabit)."

Hermann Oldenberg's translation.

*yathāliṅgaṃ mithassamīkṣya = look at each other as if they are embracing

Since you have tried to couch your questions as though you are unaware, let me state that for decades now, the practice of the "four-day" marriage (நாலு நாள் கல்யாணம்) has virtually gone into oblivion. (I think it is not necessary to disabuse any notion regarding girls being married before they attained puberty and śeṣahomam being performed a few years later. In both cases —"four-day" marriage and marriage before puberty — the śeṣahomam was reportedly, as told to me by elders, performed by 8 or 9 P.M., since in those days the general practice was to go to bed early and get up also early, despite Apastamba's instructions ! Now the śeṣahomam is performed immediately after the marriage, even before "grihapravesam" in the groom's house, in some cases, unless it is done in the mandapam itself taking the groom's room as the future griha of the bride. (The deciding factor is that sometimes the mandapam has to be vacated by 2 or 3 P.M. for the next party to occupy! ) Hence the question of śeṣahomam being performed duirng the last part of the night or "late hours" does not/did not generally arise among tabras AFAIK, for the last several decades.

Whatever the timing, the śeṣahomam was performed in the "sadas", in the presence of the elders, and not in the privacy of bed room. The couple used to prostrate before the elders after the homam before going into bedroom, I was told. Even in those days the priest only recited (perhaps with the "sollunko" prefixed) and the groom would have repeated it; this I say because, even in my father's generation, except for vaadhyars and a very few others, tabras generally were not knowledgeable enough to know the vivaaha mantras, nor understand their meaning.

It is therefore a surety that the priest must have recited these mantras in those days also with the "sollungo" saver (may be some vaadhyars might even now be using that "face saver" but many may not be doing that, also).

Even if we now decide to follow Apastamba to the full stop and comma, there is a provision "Or another person should recite (the rest of the Anuvāka) over her, (before they cohabit)." and so privacy was not envisaged by Apastamba himself, I would say.

After all, the word for a brahmanic marriage was "udvāha" or "lift and carry" the girl (by force) which perhaps was a reminder of ancient tribal practice; marriage is also called "garbhādhāna" or creating pregnancy. Hence the main purpose or aim in the ancient days ought to have been to bring a girl as wife in order to get her pregnant and have children (the words, aśūnyopasthā - not ever having an empty lap; jīvatām mātā - mother of children -plural, appear in the homa mantras and so the later concoction that a "true" brahmana should have only one son, etc., does not seem to have been endorsed by the vedic ṛṣis.)

So, your point re. "late hours" is answered.

Now, for "skipping" these explicit mantras altogether by the vadhyars . As I said in some other post, due to my health condition, I avoid sitting very near to the homa smoke (and hence the vaadhyaar) but the ritual of "anointing the hearts" does take place in the marriages. Unless, therefore, either you or some other member states categorically that as a general practice vaadhyaars have decided to omit the explicit mantras of marriage ritual, I will be under the impression that these mantras are being recited, at least by the vaadhyaar. ;)

I think the explicit nuptial mantras in the vivAha ceremony could be understood in such contexts as above. It seems to me that the explicit references to the genital parts of the couple and the seeking of devAnugraha for their conjugal acts are like the kavacha mantras. Just as we chant the lines in a hymn like the skanda ShaShTi kavacham that refer to body parts, blissfully and without ignorance, it is possible to read between and behind the lines of the vivAha mantras that are explicit.
The funny thing is, Shri saidevo, you seem to be covering up one physiologically explicit mantra with another, which is more ludicrous, and thus trying to establish that both are "sublime" ;) Let us consider Kantar ShashTi kavacam (KSK) which you refer to. I will request the readers to note the following lines in it. (Translation into English is difficult, so kindly excuse me.)

mārpai rattiṉa vaṭivel kākka
ceriḷa mulaimār tiruvel kākka

Whereas "mārpu" denotes, I think "chest" in general, for males and females, both, the next line specifies "ceriḷa mulaimār" or, youthful breasts touching each other, and hence applies primarily to young women, I would say.

veṟṟivel vayiṟṟai viḷaṅkave kākka
ciṟṟiṭai aḻakuṟac cevvel kākka
nāṇāṅkayiṟṟai nalvel kākka
āṇkuṟiyiraṇṭum ayilvel kākka
piṭṭamiraṇṭum peruvel kākka
vaṭṭak kutattai valvel kākka

Here, vayiṟu (stomach portion), ciṟṟiṭai (slim waist), nāṇāṅkayiṟu (the chord around the lower waist - used when kovaṇam was the normal undergarment for males), āṇkuṟiyiraṇṭu (the two male genitals), vattakkutam (round anus) are specified. (The word "guda" in sanskrit means anus; I don't know whether in Tamizh it has any other meaning. But since most of these devotional works on Murugan, like Kantar Anubhooti, Tiruppukazh, etc., are in sanskritized Tamizh, I think my interpretation is correct.)

It will thus be seen that this KSK, when recited (and assuming Lord Murugan grants the prayers without fail to everyone reciting it) will have to make the males sport two beautiful, young breasts rubbing each other ;). Not only that, the male reciters will be bestowed with a slim waist, an unbreakable nāṇāṅkayiṟu (at the least one that does not break in an awkward moment !).

On the other hand females reciting these lines faithfully will develop both the male genitals.

Finally, Load Murugan is persona non-grata in the tongue; only goddess Saraswati is allowed that realm:—

"nāvil sarasvati naṟṟuṇaiyāka"

Let us now look at the sanskrit kavacas. In gaṇeśa kavacam (origin gaṇeśa purāṇa) we find pṛṣṭham (buttocks), liṅgam (penis) and guhyam (female genitals), although both the words liṅgam and guhyam may refer to genitals of both males and females.

dharādharaḥ pātu pārśvau pṛṣṭham vighnaharaḥ śubhaḥ |
liṅgam guhyam sadā pātu vakratuṇḍo mahābalaḥ ||

The devīkavacam (source unknown) says:

stanau rakṣenmahadevī manaḥ śokavināśinī ||
. . .
nābhīm ca kāminī rakṣedguhyam guhyeśvarī tathā ||
bhūtanāthā ca meḍhram ca gudam mahiśavāhinī ||

"stana" refers most commonly to female breast, "guhyam" to the vulva especially, "meḍhram" is penis and "gudam" is anus.

Hence my feeling is that this Devaraya Swamikal who is considered the composer of KSK fashioned the kavacam on the older sanskrit models and went one step further also, probably ! It is only the gullible, undiscriminating brains (band akl ke taale!) which can go on reciting "blissfully and without ignorance" - as you say - such absurdities as profound "mantras" or prayers, IMO. It was fortuitous that such "geniuses" did not go into internal organs or perhaps they did not know the details, except bones, nerves, majjaa, blood, etc. :)

The very fact that in most other sanskrit kavacas these private parts are not referred to, is ample proof that only the perverted minds could have thought of ordering or wishing different deities to guard different organs and that there were people with more civilized thinking who composed the later kavacas.

Last edited:
kunjuppu,you reminded me what happened 20 years back during my marriage.i was so upset that my mother initially refused to come on the dais during thiru-mangalyam tying time and i created such a ruckus that everone was spell bound by my action and i made my mom witness the crucial crescendo of my marriage.t was at this time,my fiance held my hands so tightly,that her finger marks were even seen at bedtime,becoz of my action,her mother also could come to dais and witness during 'getty maylum' tying of the knot .the love that i saw in my fiances eyes,was / is priceless when i recollect those moments,as i busted widow bias in brahmin families.all my relatives hugged me and cried,omg it was such a happy moment,i was only thinking of dad,whom i missed sorely,but his friend acted as the surrogate one and his older brother ie my uncle and aunt performed the marriage for me.i agree widow treatment in brahmin world was worst.my understanding of the sentence while being blessed is,owing to hardship faced by women economically,emotionally,physically ,women themselves expected to die early than the husband.as times have changed,i think men have to worry more,as we have become more dependant on our spouse,and women are just going places,literally :) .

mārpai rattiṉa vaṭivel kākka
ceriḷa mulaimār tiruvel kākka

Whereas "mārpu" denotes, I think "chest" in general, for males and females, both, the next line specifies "ceriḷa mulaimār" or, youthful breasts touching each other, and hence applies primarily to young women, I would say.

from nirguna brahman came saguna brahman.from saguna brahman came adi-purusha and adi-shakthi.therefore both male and female have common organs differing in functionality at the end.both came originally from brahman and will merge back with brahman,as we live within brahman.on a lighter note,i feel males develop breast while they age,definitely an ugly sight and females have dormant penis aka clitoris,imho.

..and nachi, now the men complain. the women have got 'too much freedom'. what irony.

i am proud of you for what you did on your wedding day. congratulations, somewhat belatedly though and warmest hugs. :)

The power of 'thaali' is effectively portrayed in thamizh and other language cinemas only for commercial value. I am afraid as times are it is not far off when questions may arise in the lines of 'poonal' as how to don it or doff it. Compared to 'poonal', thaali has value along with it. In olden days only turmeric sticks were strung as thaali.

from nirguna brahman came saguna brahman.from saguna brahman came adi-purusha and adi-shakthi.therefore both male and female have common organs differing in functionality at the end.both came originally from brahman and will merge back with brahman,as we live within brahman.on a lighter note,i feel males develop breast while they age,definitely an ugly sight and females have dormant penis aka clitoris,imho.

Shri nachi naga,

What I have gathered (don't ask the source:)) is that apart from genetic trait of breast development in the case of some males — which will be gynecomastia, as per medical jargon — it appears that in olden days our native midwifes and grannies used to squeeze out the fluid from the new born male infant's breasts. This is "paaTTI vaidyam" which prevented boys and grown up men from gynecomastia to a large extent and requires some expertise obviously. It seems nowadays this is not done.

And, sometimes the opposite also used to happen then, making the girl child suffer !

The power of 'thaali' is effectively portrayed in thamizh and other language cinemas only for commercial value. I am afraid as times are it is not far off when questions may arise in the lines of 'poonal' as how to don it or doff it. Compared to 'poonal', thaali has value along with it. In olden days only turmeric sticks were strung as thaali.

There are even now many tabra women in metros and abroad who keep their taali in the pooja and wear it only on occasions.

...Here, vayiṟu (stomach portion), ciṟṟiṭai (slim waist), nāṇāṅkayiṟu (the chord around the lower waist - used when kovaṇam was the normal undergarment for males), āṇkuṟiyiraṇṭu (the two male genitals), vattakkutam (round anus) are specified.
Dear Shri Sangom, I am not at all familiar with all these kavachams, but from your description it seems the author was probably playing a prank, but gullible masses didn't catch it.

Cheers!

namaste everyone.

Muruga bhakti is the most distinguishing feature of the Tamizh Hindu religion and the 'Skanda ShaShTi kavacham' is the most popular and perhaps the most recited stotram among the Tamizhs.

In the name of freedom of expression and rationality, if I risk hurting the religious sentiments of scores of members of a forum like the TBF with over 15,000 members,

and seek to give frivolous explanations about the apparent contradictions in the lines of the Kavacham that relate to seeking protection for gender-specific body parts,

it could be due to one of these things, for example:

• I seek to dismiss everything that does not match my rational tastes as the work of perverted minds steeped in superstition.

• I am too indifferent and cynical to have even a cursory check about the sanity and capability of a sage called DevarAya svAmigaL who authored the work, before I dismiss it as nonsense with my opinionated explanations.

• I only go by the literal meaning of the words and phrases and would not admit any esoteric, philosophical or universal meaning to the lines. My take in this case is that, this hymn is supposed to be an invocation from the author to protect himself, and in asking for it to cover parts of his body, the author has confused himself and his readers.

• I feel it ridiculous that a hymn with such trash in it has become so popular as to be sung "blissfully and without ignorance", in every home in TamizhnADu at chosen times. Little would I understand that the ignorance could be on my part also, in refusing to understand the purport of a popular hymn on the most popular god of TamizhnADu for the simple reason that the literal text is explicit and contradictory.

Here is a brief about DevarAya svAmigaL, the author of the Kavacham:

• He lived in the 19th ceutnry, being born in a place called VaLLUr in TamizhnADu, to VIrAsAmi piLLai, who was a karuNIka vELALa--accountant, of the town, much respected with wealth and fame.

• Since he was born after his father was childless for a long time, he was named ThevarAsan/ThevarAyan/DevarAjan/DevarAyan, a reference to Indra as the King of the Devas.

• When he was twenty, DevarAyan went to Bangalore to study arts. He established his business there and become very wealthy.

• In Bangalore, he met the great Tamizh scholar mahAvidvAn Tirisirapuram MInAkShi Sundaram piLLai. Fascinated by the scholar's knowledge and proficiency of Tamizh, he became a student, specially to write Tamizh poetry. The Teacher advised the Student to learn the tough text yApparungkalak kArikai before starting to write poems in Tamizh. The Student mastered the work of Tamizh prosody, whose complexity was expressed in the words, "It is easy to sound a bErigai--drum, than learn the kArikai."

• In a short time, DevarAyan composed two texts: kuchElOpAkkiyAnam and sUtha sangithai, which were gracefully corrected for errors by his teacher shrI MInAkShi Sundaram piLLai. The wealthy Student honoured his illustrious teacher when the latter was to leave Bangalore, with 5,000 silver coins (rupees) and beautiful silk robes.

• Later VaLLUr DevarAyan was afflicted with severe pain in his stomach which was not cured by whatever medications he tried. So he went to have darshan of God Murugan at TiruchchendUr and seek the Lord's grace for healing his affliction.

• It was the first day of the ShaShTi festival, and with the very first darshan, DevarAya felt his ailment subsiding. With tears of happiness, he composed six kavachams on the six days of the festival on the six paDaivIDus of God Muruga.

• When he was finally cured of his disease, DevarAya took up the 'kallADai', which is probably a reference to the saffron clothes of an ascetic.

• The six kavachams are really powerful and were recited 36 times every day by PAmban svAmigaL.

Ref:
http://www.skandagurunatha.org/saints/devaraya-swamigal.asp
Devaraya Swamigal's Kavacam series

It is not at all difficult for me to believe that an author of a divinely inspired hymn like the Skanda ShaShTi kavacham meant his work for the multitude rather than as his personal prayer, and that when a person recites the hymn, he/she chants the lines seeking protection of gender-specific body parts, to include the consort or even a family member in the prayer. I know there are several Hindus like me here and out there, who feel bliss and peace when this hymn is sung or heard, or even read, and we all know that we are not perverted or ignorant in chanting the explicit lines or thinking about them.

Last edited:
Evil is always in the eyes of the onlooker. Skanda Shashti Kavacham is and can be sung by ladies. It is wrong to suppose it is gender specific. Perhaps the female was held in high esteem. If there are 64-crore jivarasis, he has only included a few of them, to be protected from them.The composers are more enlightened but yet are humans. Extremities border on insanity. The Stotras and Kavachams are like your 'third leg' (walking stick), if you have no need for it, go ahead. Sangam is only one place. Choose what you seek.

actually skanda shasthi kavacham has to be recited 36 times in the morning and 36 times in the evening as per pamban swamigal of thiru van mai oor,near chennai.especially to start on mangalavaaram,for the force of the lord to descend.shivanay potri potri.

Whence the Y chromosome?

.therefore both male and female have common organs differing in functionality at the end.both came originally from brahman and will merge back with brahman,as we live within brahman.

Wait, wait, I can understand the bit about external organs, but what about the chromosomal difference? Males have XY and females have XX. So did the brahman have XX or XY? Or both? If so why did she (clearly a female) behave partially and give the male fewer genes and consequently shorter life span?

(Sorry sir, I understand your point, but just presenting the scientific angle for discussion.)

Dear Shri Sangom, I am not at all familiar with all these kavachams, but from your description it seems the author was probably playing a prank, but gullible masses didn't catch it.

Cheers!

Dear Nara,

I am not an authority on these Tamil devotional literature and its evolutionary history. Still, I have no reason to think that the composer just wanted to play any prank. But it looks like this Devaraya Swamigal might not, after all, have been free from making mistakes, as may be seen from Shri Saidevo's post # 38 itself which states, inter alia, as under:

"• In a short time, DevarAyan composed two texts: kuchElOpAkkiyAnam and sUtha sangithai, which were gracefully corrected for errors by his teacher shrI MInAkShi Sundaram piLLai. The wealthy Student honoured his illustrious teacher when the latter was to leave Bangalore, with 5,000 silver coins (rupees) and beautiful silk robes."

Obviously, if the works were submitted to Shri Meenakshisundaram Pillai just for his formal editing or correction/s, and a foreword from the latter, there would not normally have been any need for such huge payment, IMO. Is it not, therefore, possible that unlike the kuchelopakkiyanam and sutha sangithai, the kavacams were not corrected by any one and what we have now is the uncorrected version?

Alternatively, even assuming but not granting (I am not convinced by the legend of stomach trouble being cured, etc., which is very much like that of Narayaneeyam and Melpathur) that the kavacams were inspired works (and hence these ought to have been of a high order, free from any error, with esoteric meanings wherever one finds apparent incongruency) is it not possible that some interpolations by ordinary pundits have taken place so as to cater to different types of people with various mindsets and the thus mixed-up form is being now considered as the correct version?

Arunagirinathar's Tiruppukazh are of a definitely higher calibre both in regard to language (though those are also in sanskritised Tamizh) and their sense of rhythm. But there also, I find he has the habit of blaming the prostitutes as the deliberate instigators and cause of all evils, thus covering up his own bohemian past and shifting the blame on to those poor, hapless women, at the end of the day, so to say. Therefore, though I started learning thiruppukazh for the rhythm and music in them, I did not follow it after I found out this material flaw in the mental make-up of Arunagirinathar who is regarded as saint. What to do, my intellect is such that it goes by the literal meaning of the words and phrases and would not admit any esoteric, philosophical or universal meaning to the lines other than what can be read into those lines overtly.

Just one specimen tiruppukazh; I cannot make the detailed word-by-word meaning but perhaps you may be able to.

தனத்திற்குங்குமத்தைச் சந்தனத்தைக் கொண்டணைத்துச் சங்-

கிலிக்கொத்தும் பிலுக்குப் பொன்தனிற் கொத்துந்தரித்துச் சுந்-
தரத்திற் பண்பழித்துக் கண் சுழற்றிச் சண்பகப் புட்பங் குழல்மேவி

தரத்தைக் கொண்டசைத்துப் பொன்தகைப்பட்டுந்தரித்துப் பின்

சிரித்துக்கொண்டழைத்துக் கொந்தளத்தைத் தண்குலுக்கிச் சங்-
கலப்புத்தன் கரத்துக்கொண்டணைத்துச் சம்ப்ரமித்துக்கொண் டுறவாடிப்

புனித்தப் பஞ்சணைக்கட்டிண் படுத்துச் சந்தனப்பொட்டுங்-

குலைத்துப் பின் புயத்தைக் கொண்டணைத்துப் பின் சுகித்திட் டின்-
புகட்டிப் பொன்சரக்கொத்துஞ்சிதைப்பப் பொன்தரபற்றும் பொதுமாதர்

The sad part is that our religious belief system has gone down to its nadir, that any constructive, logical criticism is being viewed as bad and unholy

I am, somehow, reminded of the "indulgences" in medieval catholic christianity.

Wait, wait, I can understand the bit about external organs, but what about the chromosomal difference? Males have XY and females have XX. So did the brahman have XX or XY? Or both? If so why did she (clearly a female) behave partially and give the male fewer genes and consequently shorter life span?

(Sorry sir, I understand your point, but just presenting the scientific angle for discussion.)

actually the topic of the post,is somewhat more towards the welfare of women and their happiness which chivalrous males do it from time immemorial.to become brahma gnyani is the goal of the purusharthas of our religion.we do sadhanas to attain moksham.how far we are successful,only our guru can judge.my understanding of brahman originally was/is formless aka nirgunam.in order for mortals to love and adore brahman,the formless becomes with form,even as humans.when sagunam happens,such distinction of xx and xy chromosomes exist,which science teaches us now(DNA HELIX),even though our forefathers taught us the gothram based procreation amongst humans.gothram is based purely on the male species only.i am yet to know,that women based gothrams existed in the past,though we do have shakthi worshippers in our religion,wherein women is the goddess of manifestation for the mens prowess to be known.men and women compliment each other.shivanum shakthium onru.

Dear Sangom Sir,

I have a lot of respect for your erudition. I write this only as a counter to your observation about Vivaaha mantras, kavacham literature and Thiruppukazh in this thread. I have criticised only the ideas after toning down the language as far as possible. I have absolutely no intention to hurt any one.

I find that there is a common thread of sarcasm and a lot of jeering and sneering in your posts about the Vivaha mantras as well as the kavachams and Thiruppukazh. While any one would admit that the rituals have undergone a lot of changes due to various strong reasons like economy, time and logistics there is no justification to be so dismissive and frivolous about the purport of the mantras or to be so critical about the kavachams and Thiruppukazh.

Our elders who belonged to another time, were completely free with expression of matters pertaining to physiology and sex. The vast collection of literature in Tamil and Sanskrit adequately stand as testimony to this fact. Luckily they had not gone through the Victorian prudish outlook and mores which was just unnatural and alien to the native culture. They were not ashamed of their physiological assets and had no qualms whatsoever about speaking about them in their literature-with beautiful imageries as well as in stark direct terms. They considered them as part of existence and hence boldly carved them in immortal granite statues and murals of temples. They considered procreation itself as a yajna done for the welfare of the humanity. Hence they have written about procreation in very great details (including physiological aspects of it) unabashedly. In their higher search for God and Truth they considered all distractions as impediments and this included excess indulgence. While speaking about their search if they have spoken in detail about the impediments what is wrong with it? For some of us who are used to the Victorian mores these may look or sound like indulgence. If it appears so to you the problem lies elsewhere.

To me as well as to any believer who reads them, it appears the kavacham literature is an appeal to the ishta deivam(personal godhead/devatha) to protect the individual’s body from attack and harm and in making that appeal the bard has done a very detailed and thorough job. What is your objection? What is so ‘ludicrous’ about it? What the poet has written about is only what exists there. He has not added anything funny or obscene there. Or is it your case that human being is a funny looking obscene creature? A human being, whether man or woman, need not be ashamed about its genitals and need not be furtive, secretive or defensive when speaking about it. The problem is with the mindset-the mind that reads it and interprets it in a particular way because of the wrong perception or the lack of perception, accumulated prejudices, and the wrong classification of what is serene and what is obscene –acquired from external sources by education.
The Thiruppukazh that you have quoted is explicit about the kind of spell that Arunagirinathar was under. This is nothing when compared to some of the more explicit poetry in Bhakthi as well as Sangam Literature. Thiruppukazh is a religious text and the poet can only go against the impediments to God-realization. I doubt whether the poet has ever said anywhere that the women of easy virtue are responsible for ‘all’ evils in this world. The poet’s argument is against the indulgence in sensual pleasures and in that context he explains how he was caught in the web of a woman of easy virtue. Your sympathy for the women is at a different level and has no relevance to the subject in focus.

You have said “The sad part is that our religious belief system has gone down to its nadir, that any constructive, logical criticism is being viewed as bad and unholy”.

Logical criticism can not fly of the handle. It has to be firmly tied to the present and subject in hand. Interpreting ancient literature and religious works with a dictionary in hand is not logical criticism. The overall context is important. An understanding of the circumstances is also essential. And in what way is this criticism constructive? Criticism is always welcome. It is the only way to acquire knowledge and move forward. But this is something else. The believers are not so scared of reasoned criticism. They can take it in their stride and move.

You have also said “I am, somehow, reminded of the "indulgences" in medieval catholic christianity”.

You said it! You are sure aware of what followed in the Victorian period. Even normal indulgences were pushed to the privacy and anonimity of darkness in the night and all beauty was carefully pushed behind thick purdah. Our ancestors had a better vision for us.

• I have neither stated nor implied in my post no.38 that DevarAya svAmigaL paid Rs.5,000/- to his teacher mahAvidvAn MInAkShi Sundaram piLLai for the corrections in the student's initial compositions. To clarify further, here is the quote from the original reference:

This way, within the short time of stay at Bangalore of Mr. Pillai, he wrote two great epics Kuselo Bakkiyaanam, Suutha Sangithai and got them corrected with the great assistance of Mr. Pillai. Mr. Pillai who was very happy at it, wrote the preface and introduction himself and appreciated him.

In return to the great knowledge Vidvan Mr. Pillai gave him, when he started back to Trisirapuram, Thevaraasan gave him 5000 (five thousand) white gold coinsand beatiful silk robes and got his blessings. Mr. Pillai who is not used to receive such huge gift was very happy and blessed him from the bottom of his heart and went back.

Devaraya Swaamigal

Since the above quote clearly establishes that the teacher corrected his student's works and also wrote a preface, Sangom's statement

"Obviously, if the works were submitted to Shri Meenakshisundaram Pillai just for his formal editing or correction/s, and a foreword from the latter, there would not normally have been any need for such huge payment, IMO."

becomes one that is made without even a cursory reference to the source.

• To say that an illustrious Tamizh scholar like MInAkShi Sundaram piLLai, who was the Tamizh vidvAn of TiruvAvaDuturai AdhInam and was also a teacher of a doyen like U.VE.SA. aiyar, accepted a huge amount of cash for his corrections to the works of a student, not only belittles the greatness of the teacher but also highlights the levels of cynicism and indifference we can get into, in order to try to establish an opinionated statement. Here is a link to the connection between the teacher and his great student U.VE.SA.:The Hindu : `Tamizh Thaatha' in town

• All accounts that anyone can come across about the circumstances of DevarAya svAmigaL composing his six kavachams on Murugan at TiruchchendUr state that he suffered from incurable stomach pain that was cured by the grace of the Lord, so Sangom's dismissal of the incident as a legend can be nothing more than his personal opinion, until he can show a source to the contrary. Even today Murugan is a God people in TamizhnADu pray to, for healing their bodily afflictions and when they are healed, they payback their nErtthikkaDan with such acts as the kAvaDi, pAlabhiShekam, etc.

• That the Skanda ShaShTi Kavacham could have interpolations made by ordinary pundits is just another speculation, unless one can prove it. As I have said earlier, the devotees who chant the Kavacham do not find anything amiss in the references to gender specific body parts in the hymn.

• The suggestion that Sanskritized Tamizh is inferior to pure Tamizh is also frivolous, since words and phrases of Sanskrit origin are also found in classical Tamizh texts, and the names of most of the people who have ever been subjects of this great land of Tamizhagam and the names of places in this land, also owe their origin to Sanskrit and Hindu texts.

Last edited:
Raju,

I am amazed and happy at the sanity and wisdom expressed in your post no.44 with such felicity! I am sure none of us could have done it better.

Kudos to you, and carry on with your work of defence of our dharma, specially against some of our own misguided minds! Like many of us here, you have a clear and right perspective which is neither confused at our personal level nor does make us strive, to confound others with skeptical indifference and cynical dismissal. I thank you for your post.

..... specially against some of our own misguided minds! ....
Dear Saidevo, why do you feel the minds of ones who disagree with you are misguided? If all of us think this way, we all will be misguided, no?

Bhakti literature is full of sensual references to body parts, some examples, அகலல்குல், புற்றவல்குல், சதிரிளமுலை, தடமுலை, etc. So, one of the questions that arise is, why are the present day people so prudish? This hypocrisy, IMO, is the reason for sarcasm.

Also, as far as I know, the references to body parts in Bhakti literature always are about describing a beautiful young girl, or making love,. I have never seen references to anus.

Cheers!

Raju,

I am amazed and happy at the sanity and wisdom expressed in your post no.44 with such felicity! I am sure none of us could have done it better.

Kudos to you, and carry on with your work of defence of our dharma, specially against some of our own misguided minds! Like many of us here, you have a clear and right perspective which is neither confused at our personal level nor does make us strive, to confound others with skeptical indifference and cynical dismissal. I thank you for your post.

sai!!

'misguided minds'??

i can accept 'skeptical indifference' or 'cynical indifference'.

but who is to say someone other possesses 'misguided minds'

after this shoe can fit anyone. n'est pas?

namaste s/shrI Nara and Kunjuppu.

Let me try to clarify what I had in mind (which was not certainly to hurt anyone) when I used the phrase 'misguided minds'.

Firstly, I don't "feel the minds of ones who disagree with me are misguided". But then, I tend to think (I may be wrong or even misguided in this thought of mine!) that when progressive minds known for their erudition, persist in opionated expressions

that are not, IMO, based on our Hindu tradition and values, but on modern academic research dominated by western minds steeped in their own culture and tradition,

in total disregard to the Hindu majority opinion, and seek to belittle their scholars, sages, texts and Gods because they refuse to read between/behind/beyond the lines of the text, specially when these lines happen to be considered plain, explicit, superstitious or merely sentimental,

such minds become misguided, IMO, IMHO. In all areas of knowledge and research--worldly and spiritual--the majority opinion does rule the roost, and the minority opinion, where it is unprejudiced, can only hope that its time will come.

Raju's post no.44 above amply illustrates how a mind that seeks to interpret/analyze/familiarize Hindu texts can become 'misguided'.

Erudite and progressive minds that seek to 'educate', are expected to be well-meaning as well, rather than being insistently cynical or sarcastic, and would do well to bear these subhAShitas in mind:

akRutva para saMtApaM agatva khalasaMsAdam anUtsRujya sAtam vartma yadalmapi tadbahu

अकृत्व पर संतापं अगत्व खलसंसादम् अनूत्सृज्य सातम् वर्त्म यदल्मपि तद्बहु

Without hurting others, without geting into the association of the bad, without losing association of the good, however little you progress in the path of dharma, that is sufficient.

dharma yo bAdhate dharmo na sa dharmaH kudharmakaH |
avirodhAttu yo dharmaH sa dharmaH satyavikrama ||

धर्म यो बाधते धर्मो न स धर्मः कुधर्मकः ।
अविरोधात्तु यो धर्मः स धर्मः सत्यविक्रम ॥

This verse from the Mahabharata is addressed to Satyavikrama. Any dharma (way of life, religion) which violates another's dharma is not true dharma. It is, rather, bad dharma (kudharma). That dharma, on the other hand, which flourishes without harming interest of others, is true dharma indeed.

satyaM brUyAt priyaM brUyAt na brUyAt satyaM apriyaM |
priyaM cha na anRutaM brUyAt eShaH dharmaH sanAtanaH ||

Manu smRuti 4.138

सत्यं ब्रूयात् प्रियं ब्रूयात् न ब्रूयात् सत्यं अप्रियं ।
प्रियं च न अनृतं ब्रूयात् एषः धर्मः सनातनः ॥

Speak truth; speak what is pleasant to others. Do not tell truth that is not pleasant. Similarly, do not speak untruth even though pleasant. This is the ancient practice of dharma.

Dear Saideo,

Thank you for the nice words. I tell myself that I should be more careful!! Now about these following lines addressed to you by a member here:

1)Bhakti literature is full of sensual references to body parts, some examples, அகலல்குல், புற்றவல்குல், சதிரிளமுலை, தடமுலை, etc. So, one of the questions that arise is, why are the present day people so prudish? This hypocrisy, IMO, is the reason for sarcasm.
2)Also, as far as I know, the references to body parts in Bhakti literature always are about describing a beautiful young girl, or making love,. I have never seen references to anus.

I have already once replied to this point which I recall here. I wrote the reply in Tamil and I give it here:
" எத்துணை முயன்று முயங்கினாலும் ஒன்றும் ஒன்றும், ஒன்றும் ஒன்றுமாகவே இருந்துவிடுகின்ற , இரண்டறக்கலத்தலாகிய சாயுஜ்யம் சித்திக்காது போய்விடுகின்ற அவலத்தை மனித வாழ்க்கைக்கு மிக அருகில் இருக்கின்ற அனுபவமான கலவியை கொண்டு அதிலிருக்கின்ற சோகத்தையும் வேதனையையும் கொண்டு வேதாந்தத்தை விளக்குகிறார் இந்தப்புலவர்..

I have taken care to make the above few Tamil sentences free from typing mistakes. So if you do not get the meaning of any word please look up the nikandu. You need not doubt the correctness of the typed word here.

Only this much can be said openly in this forum. Not because it is taboo or indulgence but because this forum may be read by all age groups and we owe a duty to the youngsters to keep it free from muck. So explicit mention of gender parts is perfectly okay in vedanta. Rajnish (Osho) did exactly this. If I have to become more explicit about what I have written here in Tamil, I will have to write about things like multiple orgasm, synchronization etc which will be very embarassing. My point is that speaking about these is not hypocracy, but finding fault with even an encrypted mention of these things certainly is.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back