• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Death and the goddess: The world's biggest ritual slaughter By Manesh Shrestha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

The ritual sacrifice of goats, buffaloes and roosters in temples and at home is widespread in Nepal where 80 percent of the population are Hindu.
Some five million people from adjoining districts -- and also from the bordering Indian states of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh -- will attend the festival, according to local authorities, although only two days are dedicated to the sacrificial ritual itself.

The slaughter follows a set pattern: on Friday male water buffalo calves are killed while on Saturday attentions switches to goats.
Officials estimate that up to 10,000 buffalo calves and 150,000 goats will be offered to Gadhimai -- the goddess of power -- during the ritual. Watch a CNNi report on the ritual.

The animals not only suffer while they are being killed: they are also transported over long distances on foot. "By the time they get to the festival venue they are half dead," says Shah. "They are kept two or three days without food after they are brought here."
Activists have gone to the courts in Nepal and India to halt the sacrifices. Last month Nepal's Supreme Court did not stop the animal sacrifices but ruled that existing laws have to be followed. "If the existing laws are implemented there would be no ritual sacrifices," says Shambhu Thapa, the lawyer who filed the case, explaining that only animals killed in a slaughterhouse are fit to be eaten.

Meanwhile, on Friday morning tens of thousands of people gathered around the temple in Bara district, southern Nepal, waiting for the sacrificial ritual to begin. "People seem to be in a merry mood and look like they have been waiting for this moment for ages," says Niraj Gautam, an animal welfare activist, from Bariyarpur. "But it is a sad day for us."

The pictures were too gory to post.
Inside Gadhimai, the world's biggest ritual slaughter - CNN.com

I am vegetarian and do not eat meat, It is my choice. I also defend the rights of meat eaters (it is their choice). But this wasteful and meaningless killing is foolishness and should be banned.
What happened to all those Hindus who protest the animal slaughter by Muslims? I suppose it was only a ploy by RSS.

What happened to all those Hindus who protest the animal slaughter by Muslims? I suppose it was only a ploy by RSS.

Dear Prasad ji,

I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I read this in the papers.

So much protest for cow slaughter but how come as Hindus we allow such mass slaughter or animals right from buffaloes to rats?

I am vegetarian and do not eat meat, It is my choice. I also defend the rights of meat eaters (it is their choice). But this wasteful and meaningless killing is foolishness and should be banned.

How is this wasteful? Even the animals sacrificed in Gandhimai are eaten by the devotees and the hide is distributed to tanneries.

How is this sacrifice any less meaningful than, for example, the 50 million turkeys killed and consumed every thanksgiving about which nary a peep is raised?

"Humane killing" is just a ploy invented by the west propagandists to justify their indulgence while simultaneously trying to destroy native traditions and practice. It is unfortunate many hindus fall for this propaganda.

Even here the problem is created because a Hindu deity is involved. No such fuss is created for "secular" killings. There are thousands of broilers in Chennai alone and the chicken and goats are killed in these broilers in much the same way. There is no call for banning such practices.

கால பைரவன்;272427 said:
How is this wasteful? Even the animals sacrificed in Gandhimai are eaten by the devotees and the hide is distributed to tanneries.

How is this sacrifice any less meaningful than, for example, the 50 million turkeys killed and consumed every thanksgiving about which nary a peep is raised?

"Humane killing" is just a ploy invented by the west propagandists to justify their indulgence while simultaneously trying to destroy native traditions and practice. It is unfortunate many hindus fall for this propaganda.

Even here the problem is created because a Hindu deity is involved. No such fuss is created for "secular" killings. There are thousands of broilers in Chennai alone and the chicken and goats are killed in these broilers in much the same way. There is no call for banning such practices.

The argument of these people appear to be that the killings if done in abattoirs it is okay but if done in temples it is bad. The killings if they are done after the poor animal is told in some mumbo jumbo language that it is being killed for the sake of eating with the permission of God it becomes vegetarian killing but if this is not followed it is slaughter. A killing is a killing. Human beings will continue to kill and eat. There is no use lamenting about this practice. I dont believe that the animals killed in that temple were all thrown out as waste. They were eaten by bhaktas. So what is the complaint? And it is funny RSS is brought into the picture.

Nepal is no more a Hindu Nation.

In the name of Religious fanaticism, killing of human beings and animals must be stopped at any cost. It is unfortunate one member justifies the killings bringing in native traditions and practices, correlates the practices of Christians and Muslims and blames the West.

Does Hinduism preach such mass killing of animals? Which denomination of Hinduism supports this barbaric act?

It seems, as per reports, China is ready to take the meat and skin.

We must appreciate Jains as majority of them stand by the principle of Jainism.

Does Hinduism preach such mass killing of animals? Which denomination of Hinduism supports this barbaric act?

How do you think the people who follow this practice be called? Are they not Hindus? It is said Gandhimai sacrifice has been in vogue for thousands of years which means it was not disallowed all these years.

Hinduism is different from other religions in the sense that not every practice need to be explicitly "sanctioned" in the scriptures and not all Hindu practices evolved from some dictum in these scriptures.

Post #3 & #4 ignored the facts.
When you kill 4000 animals in an open field, you can not safely butcher the meat and hide. It would rot and be unsafe for eating. Please google it properly before "defending this slaughter" because it is done in the name of god.
"Worshippers believe the animal sacrifice, meant to appease Hindu goddess Gadhimai, brings them luck and prosperity."

Anyone who analyses non-passionately will accept that this is mass killing is foolishness, and please spare me the religious mumbo jumbos.

Activists in Gadhimai, meanwhile, are confident that there will be changes in people's attitudes.
Uttimlal Chaurasiya, from Bariyarpur, claims that some 40 percent of the women in the village have said that they will not sacrifice animals. Three years ago he started a campaign showing videos of cruelty to animals at the festival to villagers. While awareness is being raised at a local level, he believes binding laws are still needed to stop the sacrifices.

"All living creatures are equal in the eyes of god," he says. "Instead of animals we can offer gourds, pumpkins, coconuts and sweets to the goddess."
Meanwhile, on Friday morning tens of thousands of people gathered around the temple in Bara district, southern Nepal, waiting for the sacrificial ritual to begin. "People seem to be in a merry mood and look like they have been waiting for this moment for ages," says Niraj Gautam, an animal welfare activist, from Bariyarpur. "But it is a sad day for us."

He estimates 6,000 to 8,000 water buffaloes will be randomly hacked, not necessarily by having their heads chopped off.
"Any part of the body can be cut," he says. "Last time round we saw buffalo walking with their head hanging."

KBji,
Do you really believe that any God will ask for this?
Because the men who take on the role of killing the animals are largely unskilled in the ways of humane slaughter there is a concern that the animals are suffering needlessly, and dying slow and painful deaths.

Last edited:
கால பைரவன்;272440 said:
How do you think the people who follow this practice be called? Are they not Hindus? It is said Gandhimai sacrifice has been in vogue for thousands of years which means it was not disallowed all these years.

Hinduism is different from other religions in the sense that not every practice need to be explicitly "sanctioned" in the scriptures and not all Hindu practices evolved from some dictum in these scriptures.

They might have been born in Human form but are not Humans. I would not call them animals as animals kill other animals to eat and spend a lot of energy doing so.

Foolishness over thousands of years is still foolishness. For thousands of years people believed earth to be the center of universe, that does not make it right.
Then again Sati was "practiced by religious sanction", would you practice it now.
Enlightenment comes to some on their own but others the law of land dictates it.

Do God ask for Blood? The world is watching Nepal and India regarding in this matter, every five years, hundreds of men are licensed to kill buffalo, pigs, chickens, rates, goats and pigeons. This is totaly crule behavour. On a next five years goverment should have to take action to stop it. Or People who are aware of this should raise hands together to stop it.

If you are not shocked yet take a look at the pictures.https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...sacrifice+in+nepal&fr=yfp-t-901-s&fr2=piv-web

Last edited:
Post #3 & #4 ignored the facts.
When you kill 4000 animals in an open field, you can not safely butcher the meat and hide. It would rot and be unsafe for eating. Please google it properly before "defending this slaughter" because it is done in the name of god.
"Worshippers believe the animal sacrifice, meant to appease Hindu goddess Gadhimai, brings them luck and prosperity."

Anyone who analyses non-passionately will accept that this is mass killing is foolishness, and please spare me the religious mumbo jumbos.

Activists in Gadhimai, meanwhile, are confident that there will be changes in people's attitudes.
Uttimlal Chaurasiya, from Bariyarpur, claims that some 40 percent of the women in the village have said that they will not sacrifice animals. Three years ago he started a campaign showing videos of cruelty to animals at the festival to villagers. While awareness is being raised at a local level, he believes binding laws are still needed to stop the sacrifices.

"All living creatures are equal in the eyes of god," he says. "Instead of animals we can offer gourds, pumpkins, coconuts and sweets to the goddess."

He estimates 6,000 to 8,000 water buffaloes will be randomly hacked, not necessarily by having their heads chopped off.
"Any part of the body can be cut," he says. "Last time round we saw buffalo walking with their head hanging."

KBji,
Do you really believe that any God will ask for this?

The relevant points are:

1. Human beings enjoy eating meat. They enjoy eating it sometimes by buying from a roadside butcher and cooking it at home. And sometimes they go to a temple offer it to their personal god and then bring it home and eat it sharing with relatives. Even at the temple itself a certain portion of the slaughtered animal is shared with village service personnel like barbers, dhobies and vettiyans. Particularly hill tribes offer the animal sacrifice frequently to their gods/goddesses. This is not peculiar to Nepal/India/Hindus etc., In fact Christianity expressly says that God created the rest of the world for humans to enjoy. So slaughtering is not considered sinful in christianity. Similarly in the case of Islam there is no sin attached to eating halal meat. And Jews eat kosher meat without any guilt.

2. The number of animals slaughtered varies depending on the number of people participating in the festivity. In a Tamilnadu temple Kodai festival in a Madan temple it may be just a few hundred where the animals offered may number fifty or hundred. May be in the Nepal festival the number was large and so the animals sacrificed were also more. To cry hoarse over this non-event is meaningless. It may make excellent sense for the animal enthusiasts. For the common man it is just a storm in a tea-cup.

3. In a slaughterhouse modern methods are used to stun the animal before it is cut. In temple situation it may not be possible. But stunning methods are modern whereas slaughtering has been going on for the last thousands of years. There are two opinions about the toxins released into the bloodstream of the animal when it is scared and is aware that it is going to be killed. Some people say it adds taste to the meat. Some say it is poisonous.

4. For the rhetoric question "Do you really believe that any God will ask for this?", no God ever asks for meat or water to drink. Whenever a humanbeing wants to eat a special dish it remembers God and offers Him that dish to eat it finally. My classmate in my village actually offers a large quantity of meat, bottles full of home brewed arrack and packets of Dindigul cigars because his father wants them all regularly.

5. And RSS has nothing to do with this tamasha.

Last edited:
Vaagmiji,
I read your post more for style than the substance, We come from poler opposite ends. You have a slick style of presenting any point you have at that time, but I do not believe that alone to be your personal belief . I have strong opinion and I share my opinion, and i believe in them.
I am not a Christian, Muslim, Tiger, shark etc, they do what they want.
I am a Hindu (what ever that means), but my post would have been same, when it comes to cruelty.
Then again I am against cruelty, whale hunting, seal huntings etc as well.

Just as a defense lawyer can defend a murderer successfully, you speak on both sides. In your earlier post you wrote that Aswamedha yagna and others so called animal sacrifices were not butchering of animals, but now you are supporting this butchering of animals in the name of religion.

Last edited:
What is so hard to see that killing of animals should NOT be linked to Hinduism?

Than what is the use of going about preaching that we Hindus are Ahimsa when such cruel acts are allowed?

I keep receiving emails from Hindu Organization which keep saying how some devout Hindus managed to save some cows from slaughter by a member of another religion..but how come this alone everyone is quiet.

I am going to email this very same Organization today about this issue and ask why no email about this practice.

I feel we Hindus only know how to talk but no action..its always a blame game.

Some might feel that this practice is not related to their believes so why care.

They tend say that Hinduism welcomes everything under its wing and has Rajas and also Tamas method of worship but when jump around then when a cow is killed?

Double standards I feel.

I have read even orthodox websites stating that Vedic Rituals slaughtered animals and then brought them back to life becos the ritualist were so powerful....but what about the pain endured?

BTW I always wondered why no vedic ritualist sacrificed his own father or mother and the brought them back alive if the rituals had some much power!

But whatever said and done killing of animals in the name of Hinduism need to stop.

Last edited:
Dear Sri Prasad

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of members.
This extraordinary cruelty is despicable and makes one realize that cruel people in large numbers exist everywhere in the world.

Perhaps some decades ago I might have been surprised that Hindus can do such acts in the name of their tradition and religion. But not anymore.

I do not eat meat and I do not condemn the meat eaters of the world. But I will say that human beings have a choice to lead a full and complete life as a vegetarian/vegan. I will further say that meat eating out of choice is adharma (unless one is caught in a jungle without food) and I will counsel anyone against eating meat if they want to listen.

If meat eating is a must then humane killing has to be a requirement which does not happen.

The western world has invented the concept of factory farms and most people in the east including those in India are just as cruel.

The milk produced today in most of the world is a result of extraordinary torture to the cows. Yet temples in the name of doing Abhiskekam are willing to waste large amount of milk.

Similarly there are many that have declared silk to be an item of purity ( Madi) though they know how silk is produced.

Overall many Hindus are not only just as cruel as anyone else in other parts of the world but are hypocrites as well.

There is nothing anyone can do about such issues other than support organizations that fight for the rights of animals.

And those that find such acts of cruelty to be unacceptable can only change own behaviour. We can live without meat, leather, silk to name a few. Where and when possible we try to buy milk only from local farms where the animals are not harmed at least while they are living.

There are 160+ products that come out of cruelty to animals which includes items found in medicines. We cannot eliminate the cruelty but where there is a choice we can stay away from such products. Also we can speak against such cruel acts and counsel against eating meat ( I know you do not agree with me in the last point)

While Nepal is organizing large scale of animal slaughter in the name of Religion, I have come across an in The Hindu dated Nov 28, 2014 that the experts will congregate in Chennai for the International Vegetarian Union (IVU)'s 42nd annual World VegFest on 20th and 30th Nov, 2014 at TAG Auditorium, Anna University. This is the first time Chennai is hosting and third it is being held in India. It has branches in 120 countries and headquarters at London.

The purpose of the meet is "Freedom from diseasethrough non –violent food’ is the theme of this year’s fete. ‘Non-violentFood’ is that which has been obtainedwithout killing or hurting any creature. The fest does not advocate non-violentfood as a spiritual practice, but as an informed choice towards good health.

Research shows that it significantly reduces the risk of many diseases that play havoc with our health today, like heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc. and improves life expectancy and quality of life. Veganism is also perhaps an effective way to save our environment, as it cuts down the pollution created by livestock.”

1. When Ramalinga adigal started a movement in Tamilnadu and condemned animal slaughter he collected many followers. Let us call them all as conscience keepers.

2. When Hitler slaughtered jews in millions, there were many leaders in the world who kept quiet. When he became emboldened and raped and occupied Poland these leaders woke up and collected number of followers and a huge army to checkmate him. Let us call all these leaders as conscience keepers.

3. Now in the country in the Himalayas there is slaughtering of animals in large number in the name of a religious festival and we have animal lovers who are up in arms. Let us call them also conscience keepers.

4. There are members in the TB forum who are perturbed by the news of the slaughter in Nepal and they want us to protest. Let us call ourselves also conscience keepers.

All the conscience keepers protested against various atrocities mentioned above and at the end of the day after a meeting in which they lambasted the killers, got tired and went to bed with a yawn as their system started receding from activity for the day.

Another day another atrocity we will all again assemble and take action spiritedly. Long live animals.

Nepal is no longer a hindu kingdom, ruled by commies and christians. Let them ponder over it. RSS and BJP can attend to issues here. Don kihote can go to nepal and fight the knife wielders.

Nov 25th was Sadhu Vaswani's birthday, and was observed as International Meatless Day and close 2 crore non vegetarians signed pledges to avoid meat on that day. Some compensation.

A small percentage of the pledgers remain vegetarian, but most revert to old ways. Many prominent personalities take the pledge and add colour and visibility to the special day.

Cow is sacred to hindus and slaughter is banned in several states. It must be banned all over india.

All muslims sacrifice goats and have started killing camels too. Every year people fo to court to stop camel sacrifice and halal killing in housing societies (mixed) but with no success. This year some housing societies were given permission to kill one goat inside the housing society. Rest are killed in open fields only. Of course millions of goats are nothing compared to a couple of thousand buffaloes.

Because it is custom followed by a few hindus in a foreign land, soda log demand action by indian hindus to jump and dance and kill themselves.

Instead of such 'mottaithalai' statement, some resources to help prove that RSS has protested or demands a ban on 'goat/sheep slaughter' are welcome. If it is only to get the bile out, no response is necessary.

But whatever said and done killing of animals in the name of Hinduism need to stop.

Dear Renuka Madam,

Please hear me out. I am not trying to judge you or anyone else.

From the messages here, what I see is that the problem seems to be NOT the killing or cruelty to animals but only that it should not be done in the name of "Hinduism". Please remember that it is us who call the natives/tribes "Hindus". They don't care for any these labels.

So who is the hypocrite here?

People seem to be carried away with propagandist news items. Just because few, activists much like some members here make claims of extreme cruelty about these sacrifices, it does not become a fact.

Plus there is the case of sheer magnitude of numbers. Gandhimai sacrifice is few thousand every five years. Every thanksgiving 50 million turkeys are killed. In US alone, 1 billion chicken killed every year for consumption not to mention tonnes of seafood consumed. These are not always "humanely" killed.

So where is the outrage? It is hypcritical to not even comment about any of these practices by simply saying "I don't oppose meat eating" but try to take away a practice that gives solace to simple unsophisticated people just because we all would like to only entertain only a specific strain of Hinduism.

That is all. Thank you.

And in god's own country, lakhs of birds and chickens are killed this week presumably out of bird flu fear. China and Europe too killed milch cattle in millions citing foot mouth disease. Ritual killing in millions sanctified by Christianity and Islam is happening all over the world. Only Hinduism eulogises and promotes non killing and satvic vegetarian food. And respects tribal and communities' preferences and rights. Even in south India, some request the village elders and temple authorities to substitute animals with coconut and pumpkin, but are rarely successful.

And in god's own country, lakhs of birds and chickens are killed this week presumably out of bird flu fear. China and Europe too killed milch cattle in millions citing foot mouth disease. Ritual killing in millions sanctified by Christianity and Islam is happening all over the world. Only Hinduism eulogises and promotes non killing and satvic vegetarian food. And respects tribal and communities' preferences and rights. Even in south India, some request the village elders and temple authorities to substitute animals with coconut and pumpkin, but are rarely successful.

Mr. Sarang, if I write what I think of your screenings to drown the voices of reason I would be banned. So I am not going to give you that pleasure.

It is like covering up with whitewash the blood spattered wall of a crime scene.
It is foolish to compare wonton killing in the name of religion to killing to protect the world from bird flu. Any body with common sense will know the difference.

I am a hindu and I have every right to point out failings in my religion. It is foolish to not set your own house before pointing fingers at others. You have this knack of diverting attention away from your failings. Just because you hide your head in the sand, it does not mean things are not happening out there.
If you care to read my OP you will see that I stated that I am vegetarian by choice and others should have their choice in food habits.

கால பைரவன்;272624 said:
Dear Renuka Madam,

Please hear me out. I am not trying to judge you or anyone else.

From the messages here, what I see is that the problem seems to be NOT the killing or cruelty to animals but only that it should not be done in the name of "Hinduism". Please remember that it is us who call the natives/tribes "Hindus". They don't care for any these labels.

So who is the hypocrite here?

People seem to be carried away with propagandist news items. Just because few, activists much like some members here make claims of extreme cruelty about these sacrifices, it does not become a fact.

Plus there is the case of sheer magnitude of numbers. Gandhimai sacrifice is few thousand every five years. Every thanksgiving 50 million turkeys are killed. In US alone, 1 billion chicken killed every year for consumption not to mention tonnes of seafood consumed. These are not always "humanely" killed.

So where is the outrage? It is hypcritical to not even comment about any of these practices by simply saying "I don't oppose meat eating" but try to take away a practice that gives solace to simple unsophisticated people just because we all would like to only entertain only a specific strain of Hinduism.

That is all. Thank you.

Dear Sir,

Anyway I have done my part by emailing a very active Hindu Organization to start a signature campaign to ban this practice since this organization usually protest for slaughter of cows.

I am still waiting their reply.Will let you know the outcome when and if I receive a reply.

Frankly speaking I am not too concern who is a hypocrite or a hippopotamus..I just want this practice of mass killing of animals in the name of religion to stop.

BTW not every participant is a Tribal Non Hindu.

Just to add the "I dont oppose meat eating" was not written by me..it was written by another member.

I personally do not bother what another person eats but as I said..there should no room for killing in the name of religion.

So why not Hindu activist bring these Tribals to the Hindu fold and teach them non violence?

After all if we let loose a Christian missionary they will successfully convert all these tribals and this practice of mass killing of animals might just stop.

As usual we Hindus never try!

BTW Kala Bhairava ji...the news channels carrying this news start off by using the word HINDU Goddess.

So what say you? Why arent they saying Tribal Goddess?

Last edited:
You have done enough abusing of many august members on a continuous basis and your insane thinking and supressed/repressed choice abuses matte nothing. You are a brahmin hater and a hindu hater, period; hating is OK, but you want to destroy culture and traditions followed by different folk. Killing is killing, whether for eating or for prasad and then eating or just to protect meat eaters. Claiming I am a veg, my family built temples and I believe in adwaita are all screens to hide the real intent - destroy hindus from within. Be prepared for counter assault whenever idiotic pronouncements are made.

Mr. Sarang, if I write what I think of your screenings to drown the voices of reason I would be banned. So I am not going to give you that pleasure.

It is like covering up with whitewash the blood spattered wall of a crime scene.
It is foolish to compare wonton killing in the name of religion to killing to protect the world from bird flu. Any body with common sense will know the difference.

I am a hindu and I have every right to point out failings in my religion. It is foolish to not set your own house before pointing fingers at others. You have this knack of diverting attention away from your failings. Just because you hide your head in the sand, it does not mean things are not happening out there.
If you care to read my OP you will see that I stated that I am vegetarian by choice and others should have their choice in food habits.

if I write what I think of your screenings to drown the voices of reason I would be banned.

You are free to vent what ever is natural for you, I have never complained or ever will complain to the moderator, as you have perhaps done in the past. I have told you several times to keep away from personalities, but learning never happens for some.

You have done enough abusing of many august members on a continuous basis and your insane thinking and supressed/repressed choice abuses matte nothing. You are a brahmin hater and a hindu hater, period; hating is OK, but you want to destroy culture and traditions followed by different folk. Killing is killing, whether for eating or for prasad and then eating or just to protect meat eaters. Claiming I am a veg, my family built temples and I believe in adwaita are all screens to hide the real intent - destroy hindus from within. Be prepared for counter assault whenever idiotic pronouncements are made.

According to your narrow definition of "hindu hater" is anyone who points out changes needed in Hindu (sarangji's limited knowledge) religion. Going by that definition, Adi Shankara must be the "worst Hindu Hater". Then Swami Dayananda, Raja Ram Mohan rai, Mahatma Gandhi, etc. I must be in great company.
You would not know Hinduism if Krishna Himself led you by hand.

So stop promoting yourself as "HINDU PROTECTOR", I do not think even your own party would have given you that title.
Hinduism is not going to be "saved" by cowards, it needs people of strong will to mould Hinduism.
Mr. Arun Gandhi said:
Hinduism has survived the ravages of thousands of years in spite of its own inherent weaknesses. Hinduism has also attracted many invasions over the centuries because of its belief in peace and nonviolence. It has survived because it is so tolerant, inclusive, accepting and forgiving. It will survive the modern madness of blood-thirsty protectors who are as ignorant of their religious beliefs as they are of their values. May God have mercy on human exploiters.

Last edited:
Hi,
I posed this question to a Learned Guru, who was well versed in vedhas, He is a namboodri.

Question: Isn't it wrong to sacrifice animals to the gods?

Answer: No it is not wrong, it is prescribed in devi bagvadham, it is correct only, Also the same is found in vedhas, There are many homas prescribed in vedhas wherein animal sacrifice is necessary. If you invite a person who prefers liquor and serve him vegetarian food, It does not amount to appeasing him. There are deities wherein animal sacrifice is accepted. The only mistake done by us are; we give sacrifice and then we ourselves eat the meat, which is wrong, once sacrifice is done to the deity, the meat should not be eaten by us; better to bury it.

The above were the replies from him. The swamiji appears in sankara TV, in the afternoon between 1 to 3( timing and day I am not sure)

regards
thiru

I just want this practice of mass killing of animals in the name of religion to stop...

...there should no room for killing in the name of religion.

I feel that the arguments are getting repetitive without resulting in any progress. It might help to simplify things by looking at the act and the objection. What is the act? Killing of and cruelty inflicted on animals. The objection is to the killing of animals. It is only natural then to ask why no objection to the enormous consumption of meat elsewhere. But there is no answer forthcoming.

I mentioned the people who indulge in these sacrifices are simple, unsophisticated people. For example, some believe these sacrifices help them overcome problems such as infertility. It is easy for us to dismiss these as superstitious beliefs but it is difficult not to sympathize with them. If the ritual gives them some solace so be it. BTW, the animals earmarked for sacrifice are given royal treatment while they live. These animals generally live a life much better than those that end up in slaughterhouses.

I welcome your opinion that Hindu organizations could take initiative to help them with their problems, educate them etc but that is not what is seen here. Only hypocrites with double standards shouting from rooftops who want to impose their will on hapless people condemning them as barbarians.

Renuka said:
After all if we let loose a Christian missionary they will successfully convert all these tribals and this practice of mass killing of animals might just stop.

No Madam. If they were Christians, no one would dare to call them barbarians etc no matter what they do. Perhaps then we can't cop out saying " I am a Hindu. Therefore..." etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back