• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Could Artificial Sweeteners Raise Your Blood Sugar?

prasad1

I am posting this in GD section as members may not see it if posted in Science and Health section.

I had a Blood glucose spike after drinking coffee with Splenda. I thought that was surprising, but I did some research and found that is not uncommon. So be careful of artificial sweeteners.

Never take artificial sweeteners. Some affect liver function too.

As a general rule, its better to eat food that have not been altered.
In fact I am no fan of low fat milk....cos I feel when we disturb the balance of what nature gave us there is bound to be a reaction in the body.

So stay natural as possible.
Take less sugar and if having a sugar craving one can opt for just a small amount of jaggery, it takes a longer time to break down, so sugar levels dont spike as high.

I don't use water filters at home(In my country water is very clean anyway) but a little of anything is fine with me.

Try to be as natural as possible.

It actually isnt hard to stay healthy.

I use Stevia. Ever since I switched to a low-carb way of eating, I stopped taking white & brown sugar. I avoid all these "sweeteners" as they are not good. Since then, I switched to Stevia.

Stevia vs. Splenda: Which Is Healthier?​

Erin Coleman
Nutrition
Healthy Eating

stevia_000023882545_Small.jpg

Calorie-free artificial sweeteners stevia and Splenda, also known as sucralose, have quite a few things in common. While there may be some benefits from using these products, potential drawbacks exist for each as well. Choosing one type of artificial sweetener over another is often a matter of preference.
What is Splenda?
Splenda (sucralose) is approved for consumption by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and is 600 times sweeter than sugar, notes MedlinePlus. The American Pregnancy Association reports that calorie-free Splenda is made from sugar but doesn't affect blood sugar levels, and is safe for pregnant and nursing women. The FDA notes that Splenda is heat stable, and is a useful sugar substitute for high-heat baking. Splenda is often used in baked goods, diet drinks, sugar-free gums, gelatins, and frozen dairy desserts.
What is Stevia?
Stevia -- found in Truvia, PureVia, and Enliten -- is a plant-based sweetener made from leaves of Stevia rebaudiana plants. Stevia is 200 to 400 times sweeter than sugar, notes the FDA. The FDA also reports that high-purity stevia-derived sweeteners are generally recognized as safe, but crude stevia extracts are not classified safe stevia products. The American Pregnancy Association notes that stevia in the form of rebaudioside A is generally safe for pregnant women. Like Splenda, stevia is calorie-free and is commonly found in diet drinks.
Potential Drawbacks
While both high-purity stevia sweeteners and Splenda are classified as generally safe in the U.S., potential drawbacks exist for each. A review published in 2011 in the Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapeutics reports that sucralose, or Splenda, is an organic chloride (which could be toxic under certain conditions), and stevia fed in high doses to rats reduced sperm production. Artificial sweeteners, which include stevia and Splenda, may also be associated with weight gain, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease, according to a review published in 2013 in Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism.
Which is Better?
While stevia and Splenda are both calorie-free, don't increase blood sugar levels, and generally recognized as safe when consumed in moderation, they both come with potential drawbacks. Splenda may be the better choice for high-temperature baking, but both artificial sweeteners pose a risk for weight gain and unknown long-term effects.

Stevia vs. Splenda: Which Is Healthier?​

Erin Coleman
Nutrition
Healthy Eating

stevia_000023882545_Small.jpg

Calorie-free artificial sweeteners stevia and Splenda, also known as sucralose, have quite a few things in common. While there may be some benefits from using these products, potential drawbacks exist for each as well. Choosing one type of artificial sweetener over another is often a matter of preference.
What is Splenda?
Splenda (sucralose) is approved for consumption by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and is 600 times sweeter than sugar, notes MedlinePlus. The American Pregnancy Association reports that calorie-free Splenda is made from sugar but doesn't affect blood sugar levels, and is safe for pregnant and nursing women. The FDA notes that Splenda is heat stable, and is a useful sugar substitute for high-heat baking. Splenda is often used in baked goods, diet drinks, sugar-free gums, gelatins, and frozen dairy desserts.
What is Stevia?
Stevia -- found in Truvia, PureVia, and Enliten -- is a plant-based sweetener made from leaves of Stevia rebaudiana plants. Stevia is 200 to 400 times sweeter than sugar, notes the FDA. The FDA also reports that high-purity stevia-derived sweeteners are generally recognized as safe, but crude stevia extracts are not classified safe stevia products. The American Pregnancy Association notes that stevia in the form of rebaudioside A is generally safe for pregnant women. Like Splenda, stevia is calorie-free and is commonly found in diet drinks.
Potential Drawbacks
While both high-purity stevia sweeteners and Splenda are classified as generally safe in the U.S., potential drawbacks exist for each. A review published in 2011 in the Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapeutics reports that sucralose, or Splenda, is an organic chloride (which could be toxic under certain conditions), and stevia fed in high doses to rats reduced sperm production. Artificial sweeteners, which include stevia and Splenda, may also be associated with weight gain, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease, according to a review published in 2013 in Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism.
Which is Better?
While stevia and Splenda are both calorie-free, don't increase blood sugar levels, and generally recognized as safe when consumed in moderation, they both come with potential drawbacks. Splenda may be the better choice for high-temperature baking, but both artificial sweeteners pose a risk for weight gain and unknown long-term effects.

Anything in moderation. That's the motto. I have been using Stevia for 3 years now. I put 3-4 drops in my coffee. That's my only intake. Not seen any impact so far.

Anything in moderation. That's the motto. I have been using Stevia for 3 years now. I put 3-4 drops in my coffee. That's my only intake. Not seen any impact so far.
I just started using "Purecane". It is a newer product. It is produced from cane sugar just like white sugar but with a different fermentation process.
I report the effects in a later post.

Latest ads

Back