• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Artificial sweeteners up the diabetes risk

Status
Not open for further replies.
[h=1]Artificial sweeteners could cause spikes in blood sugar[/h]
By Brady Dennis September 17

Artificial sweeteners might be triggering higher blood-sugar levels in some people and contributing to the problems they were designed to combat, such as diabetes and obesity, according to new findings published Wednesday in the journal Nature.

Although the precise reasons behind the blood-sugar changes remain uncertain, researchers suspect that artificial sweeteners could be disrupting the microbiome, a vast and enigmatic ecosystem of bacteria in our guts.

In a series of experiments, researchers found that several of the most widely used types of non-calorie sweeteners in food and drinks — saccharin, sucra­lose and aspartame — caused mice to experience increased risk of glucose intolerance, a condition that can lead to diabetes.

In addition, Lefferts and the study’s authors said people shouldn’t see the findings as a suggestion that sugar-sweetened drinks are somehow preferable to artificial sweeteners.
“We must stress, by no means are we saying that sugary drinks are healthy and that sugary drinks should be brought back as a healthy part of our nutrition,” Elinav said

The Food and Drug Administration has approved six different types of sugar substitutes, or “high-intensity” sweeteners, with the most recent coming this year. The three types included in Wednesday’s study involving mice — saccharin, sucralose and aspartame — are more commonly known by the popular brand names Sweet n’ Low, Splenda and Equal, respectively. However, the researchers relied primarily on saccharin in their mouse and human experiments.

Artificial sweeteners could cause spikes in blood sugar - The Washington Post

I do not know if Equals will make my diabetis worse or not.

I have been made to believe it has no negative effects on blood sugar.

I have been religeously taking it

I do not know if Equals will make my diabetis worse or not.

I have been made to believe it has no negative effects on blood sugar.

I have been religeously taking it
Krishji,

My suggestion is not to use those compositions

A suggestion was given by one reader in National Geographic on this topic:

Agri Stevia3 days ago

Stevia Rebaudiana Bertoni is a fantastic natural sweetener (a natural sugar substitute) that has been used for centuries by the indigenous cultures of the tropical and subtropical regions in South-America. The plant is known as Stevia, but in other parts of the world is also known as “Sweet Leaf”, “Sugar Leaf” or “Honey Leaf”. The thick, soft leaves contain steviol glycosides that give the sweet taste without the harmful side-effects of many other sweeteners, as it is 100% natural. The steviol glycosides do not affect the blood sugar level and that is why Stevia is commonly used by diabetes patients. For more information about Stevia and its uses, please visit Stevia Rebaudiana | AgriStevia.com

I am not using sugar at all for coffee/Tea..My taste buds has got used to it..The aroma of the drink compensates for the loss of a key ingredient in taste!

I am not using sugar at all for coffee/Tea..My taste buds has got used to it..The aroma of the drink compensates for the loss of a key ingredient in taste!
orE kallula rendu mAngA!! :cool:

1. Good for health.

2. Good for the purse! :)

Dear Ganesh,

Depends on my mood!

If I am happy, I take coffee without sugar and at room temperature! :lol:

But for cold coffee I need one packet of 'splenda' - my son brings it for me!

Are u a moody person?

the other day I posted that I respond diferently to various issues in this forum depending on my mood and I could contradict myself as it is still a free country

One member did not like it and was furious.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back