• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Confusion on which thithi we should take for sraddha

Lakshmisesh

namaste,
this is my first post here
my father in law attained sivalogaprapthi on 18th June 2019. Right now rituals are going on as per his wishes. He was 85 and a sama veda exponent. Though he retired from govt job by his self interest he started learning sama veda from his middle age and his is an ardent follower of sastras and vidhis that too doing srardham he never compromises on anything. The family vAdhyar also is highly knowledgeable. Right now the rituals are going on. I can go on telling about him. Very disciplined, madi acharam etc. He never eats outside. My mil everyday wears 9 yards saree and cook etc.. We are four sons and one daughter. We would like to do all rituals without any compromise. My mother in law is alive and she is 80.
Now my doubt is - he died of sudden massive heart attack. When he was taken to hospital he was very much alive, recovered was taking to doctor about medicines he takes etc.. in spite of immediate medical attention he had a second attack. His heart beat became bleak. Around 2.15 doctor called me and my hubby to tell that the heart beat stopped and the ecg was showing flat line, while they were giving CPR, also she added that they will try for another 15 min and then will tell us. Only after 2.40 she called us again and told that they could not revive him and declared him dead, the time they registered in the certificate was 2.40. We follow thirukanidha panchangam. In that upto 2.32 it is pradhamai after pournami of aani month. But I am very reluctant to take 2.40 as the time of death since they showed us his heartbeat stopped at around 2.15 and the revival process didn't succeed. At that time he was on ventilator support even while he had been given CPR. My conscious says to take pradhamai as his thidhi. I consulted a doctor who is our relative about this and she said that I am right as there will be delay always in declaring. Yet to discuss this scenario with vAdhyar as he said he will calculate those things and give us full years ritual dates right after 10th day. Until then it's not needed. Please clarify as I want to be 100% sure that we do it on right thidhi
thank you in advance

Last edited:
aani month krishna paksham prathamai thithi is correct.
Thank you for your response. It's satisfying to know from well known people to be very sure.
Further we have asked for case sheet in which they must have recorded the events as suggested by our dr relative.

namaste,
this is my first post here
my father in law attained sivalogaprapthi on 18th June 2019. Right now rituals are going on as per his wishes. He was 85 and a sama veda exponent. Though he retired from govt job by his self interest he started learning sama veda from his middle age and his is an ardent follower of sastras and vidhis that too doing srardham he never compromises on anything. The family vAdhyar also is highly knowledgeable. Right now the rituals are going on. I can go on telling about him. Very disciplined, madi acharam etc. He never eats outside. My mil everyday wears 9 yards saree and cook etc.. We are four sons and one daughter. We would like to do all rituals without any compromise. My mother in law is alive and she is 80.
Now my doubt is - he died of sudden massive heart attack. When he was taken to hospital he was very much alive, recovered was taking to doctor about medicines he takes etc.. in spite of immediate medical attention he had a second attack. His heart beat became bleak. Around 2.15 doctor called me and my hubby to tell that the heart beat stopped and the ecg was showing flat line, while they were giving CPR, also she added that they will try for another 15 min and then will tell us. Only after 2.40 she called us again and told that they could not revive him and declared him dead, the time they registered in the certificate was 2.40. We follow thirukanidha panchangam. In that upto 2.32 it is pradhamai after pournami of aani month. But I am very reluctant to take 2.40 as the time of death since they showed us his heartbeat stopped at around 2.15 and the revival process didn't succeed. At that time he was on ventilator support even while he had been given CPR. My conscious says to take pradhamai as his thidhi. I consulted a doctor who is our relative about this and she said that I am right as there will be delay always in declaring. Yet to discuss this scenario with vAdhyar as he said he will calculate those things and give us full years ritual dates right after 10th day. Until then it's not needed. Please clarify as I want to be 100% sure that we do it on right thidhi
thank you in advance
My sister expired on Saturday at 10.45 pm. The hospital shifted her to ICU and after two hours announced that she expired. We had to consider the day of death as Saturday, though in the death certificate it is mentioned as Sunday.

Thank you. All 12 day ceremonies and subasweekaram went on without any glitches. Our vAdhyar also confirmed it is pradhamai thidhi, anyways his confirmation also based on our information. I believe we wouldn't end up taking wrong thidhi for such a pious person by Almighty's grace.

Latest ads

Back