• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Changing World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmanyan

I wish to share my thoughts that I posted in my Blog site under caption "Changing World" five years ago.

- - - --

Change (parivarthan) is the essence of Life (niyam)” declares Lord Krishna in the Bhagwat Geetha.

Very significant statement indeed. But are we aware of this. No Sir, not exactly. But Change is a continuous process that takes place whether we are aware of or not. The Lord says again in Geetha:-

What belongs to you today, Belonged to someone yesterday. Will be someone else's Tomorrow”

How true are these Statements! Look at our own life. It has been changing slowly but surely without our noticing it. Let us examine our own life in the past and present. Years back our parents, grand parents and their parents were living in a different environment.
They led a leisurely life. Their time and space were their own. They relied more on Nature. Agricultural activities formed the center of all activity, especially in our Country, where nature has given everything in plenty. Fixed Seasons, a blessing of Nature to our continent, dictated every activity of our people. Religious and social Festivals and even marriages were conducted in tune with Agricultural operations, which again depended on Nature.

Well, when I look at our life today, I wonder where we have lost all that . Look at our own City life. The Cities are cramped with everything, population, commodities, consumables etc. etc. But are we happy. No I don't think so. There is only Speed and Speed. Rush for every thing whether they are essentials or otherwise. If we do not compete with somebody or something, we will lose the race and peace of mind as well.

Our lives are basically molded by the environment where we live and how we live. Take for instance the accommodation. Cities are cramped with highrise buildings with hundred of flats fitted-in like jigsaw puzzle, Sometimes I feel beehives give more space to its occupants! The restricted space certainly affect our attitude towards life. Just compare this with the spacious buildings the previous generations built and lived. In my parental House we had plenty of space in front and back of the building to maintain gardens, where we used to run and play when we were children. That too we were just a middle class family. Compare this with today's position. Unless we are lucky to have independent houses nearby the work place, our life is regimented by outside forces. Cramped flats set in claustrophobia, which is not good for happy life. Our time is not our own, except on weekends and holidays. We have to attune ourselves to the timings fixed by somebody in the Office, Bus Service or Railways,or conditioned by traffic to reach our work place which will be far away. All these raise a question in my mind. Are we really free or living inside a Golden cage? Don't we miss a lot of our own in this mad pursuit of money making ? Please don't mistake me for a Sanyasin who forsakes every thing which we call as pleasures to seek the truth. I am pretty much a middle class householder, well aware of the importance of money. Yes, money is very much required to get our life going smoothly. But my life taught me an important fact that money is only means to run our life and not the end itself. The end is real happiness.

Real Happiness is difficult to define. Happiness is the state of Mind. It is within and not to be found outside. We can increase our comfort or pleasure by Money, by adding things useful and useless, to satisfy our sensual needs. But Happiness is linked with contentment.

"Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty" declared Socrates. How true.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sir,

Liked what you wrote in your post.
You know I am going to write something funny here.I thought about this sometime back when I read summary of Geeta and realized it can be used and misused in any situation.
I will put my thoughts in a form of a dialogue.Read it as a light hearted post.

Ok here goes..once a married man was having an affair with another woman and his wife found out.

Wife:What is this!!! I found out that you are having an affair with someone else.

Husband:Yes my dear..Its true only.

Wife:Its true and you are so cool about it?

Husband:Yes Sathyam Vada ,Dharmam Chara as always my dear.

Wife: How dare you? You call this Dharma?

Husband: Yes my love..I will be marrying her soon.

Wife: What!!! how could you do this to me?

Husband: Dont cry my love..”What belongs to you today, Belonged to someone yesterday. Will be someone else's Tomorrow”

Last edited:
परिक्षीणः कश्चित् स्पृहयति यवानां प्रसृतये
स पश्चात्संपूर्णः कलयति धरित्रीं तृणसमां।
अतश्चानैकान्ता गुरुलघुतयार्त्थेषु धनिनां
अवस्था वस्तूनि प्रथयति च सङ्कोचयति च॥३६
भर्त्तृहरेः नीतिशतकात्

parikṣīṇaḥ kaścit spṛhayati yavānāṁ prasṛtaye
sa paścātsaṁpūrṇaḥ kalayati dharitrīṁ tṛṇasamāṁ|
ataścānaikāntā gurulaghutayārttheṣu dhanināṁ
avasthā vastūni prathayati ca saṅkocayati ca||36
bharttṛhareḥ nītiśatakāt

Yet another nugget from Bharthruhari.
A person when he is very poor and is running helter-skelter for livelihood, feels himself very fortunate and is happy like the richest man in the world when he comes by a handful of barley to prepare the days gruel.. However when he becomes richer by stages and when his barn is overflowing with grains, he starts to look down upon his landholdings and starts to yearn for diversions in life..the bliss of small possessions is lost on him now. This is human nature. The sense importance of something which is so close him varies in invesrse proportions with acquisition of wealth. The state of a thing either magnifies or expands it or shrinks the same.
Here the poet talks about affluence or lack of it. But the perception of importance of relations, friendship and many other factors in life also undrgo sea change with changing age, status and other factors. For a newborn baby, its whole world is its mother. Till a person is able to make a firm step on terra firma, the parents and elder relatives are important. Once he gets a young wife (or she gets a husband) the world again goes topsy turvy.. As one gets older, the children get priority over spouses. As status changes old friends often become embarrassment.. A
A very realistic evaluation of human mind in its paradigm shift vis-a-vis changing environs.

Sometimes poetic words assume prophetic dimensions. Bharthruhari says that a thing expands or shrinks according to its state. This is what exactly Einstein propounded in his special theory of relativity. His idea is also that when an object accelerates(gains speed) it has to shrink since the velocity of light is a constant.

taken from:

।श्रीकृष्णो रक्षतु।
|śrīkṛṣṇo rakṣatu|
Have a nice and happy day
with profound respect and warm regards
K V Ananthanarayanan
(kanfusion)
blog http://kanfusion.blogspot.com/
त्यजन्तु बान्धवाः सर्वे निन्दन्तु गुरवो जनाःI
तदापि परमानन्दो गोविन्दो मम जीवनंII
let all my relatives abandon me, let the great people insult me, still I am in supreme bliss since my life is GOVINDA alone.
Iकृष्णात् परं किमपि तत्वं अहं न जाने"I
लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु।
lokāḥ samastāḥ sukhino bhavantu|

Raja Bhartrihari was a great observer of human behaviour, his "satakas" are great gems. I give below another gem from his "Nitisatakam"

The king is ruined by bad counsels, the yogi by attachment, and the son by pampering. The priest is destroyed by lack of study, the family by evil offspring, and modesty by drunkenness. Crops perish without personal attention, and affection disappears by absence abroad. Without constant display of cordiality, a friendship is lost, prosperity wanes because of imprudence, and the wealth depletes by carelessness or renunciation. (Sl.42)

[FONT=&quot]Daurmantryannrpatirvinasyati yatih sangat suto lalanad[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] vipro'nadhyanat kulam kutanayacchilam khalopasanat |[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]hrirmadyanaveksanadapi krsih snehah pravasasra-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] yanmaitri capranayat samrddhiranayat tyagapramadaddhanam || 42||[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brahmanyan,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bangalore.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back