• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Can English Compete Tamil?.. i mean in expressing thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave 820 Tamil proverbs NOT WITH their lengthy English translations but with matching SHORT and crisp English proverbs and yet no one had said a word about it till now! :pout:

There is one word in English where no language can ever compete.Its versatile beyond words.

Here is the proof. Osho explains.

[video=youtube_share;rY7Y5S-iDYY]http://youtu.be/rY7Y5S-iDYY[/video]

Last edited:
Dear Renu,

As Brahmanyan Sir says, the thoughts generally flow in our mother tongue and get translated to other languages we know.

At times, thoughts flow with a few slang words in between! Human nature... So, when I pondered over the video, a thought

flashed: இந்த வார்த்தை என்ன கருமம் - டா?

And suddenly I realized that the word I am searching for is THIS - கருமம்!!

Natives of Coimbatore district will understand this word better.

Dear Renu,

. So, when I pondered over the video, a thought

flashed: இந்த வார்த்தை என்ன கருமம் - டா?

And suddenly I realized that the word I am searching for is THIS - கருமம்!!

Natives of Coimbatore district will understand this word better.

நல்லா சொன்னிங்க அம்மணி . நானும் கோயமுத்தூர்தானுங்க. பொறந்து படிச்சு வளந்தது எல்லாம் நம்மூருதானுங்க. அந்த மண் வாசனை எங்கவருமுங்க? எதோ கருமம் வேலதேடி வெளியூருக்கு வந்துட்டோமுங்க.
வணக்கமுங்க
ப்ரஹ்மண்யன்,
பெங்களுரு.

....... ஏதோ கருமம் வேலதேடி வெளியூருக்கு வந்துட்டோமுங்க.
வணக்கமுங்க
ப்ரஹ்மண்யன்,
பெங்களுரு.
ஆமாங்க ஐயா. நம்மளப் போல மரியாதை எந்த ஜில்லாக்காரங்க கொடுப்பாங்க!

எங்களுக்கு, இந்தக் கருமம் புடிச்ச சென்னைச் செந்தமிழக் கேக்கற கொடுமைங்க! :ear:

நம்ம ஊரு மண் வாசனையும் வராதுங்க! :nono:

நம்ம ஊரு தண்ணி ருசியும் வராதுங்க! :nono:

நம்ம
ஊரு கிளைமேட்டு எங்கே கிடைக்கும் சொல்லுங்க!

கருமம் வேறே ஊருக்கு வேலைத் தேடி
ப்போனாலும்

மறுபடி நம்ம ஊருக்கே வந்துட்டோமுங்க!

எல்லாரும் நல்ல இருக்கணங்க. :pray:

வாரேனுங்க. வணக்கமுங்க. :pray2:

தம்பி அல்லது அக்காவுக்கு ஒரு வார்த்தை உண்டா? அத்தைக்கும் aunt சித்திக்கும் aunt. one is paternal, another is maternal.. அதேமாதிரி மாமாவுக்கும் சித்தப்பாவுக்கும்.

அக்காவின் கணவனையும் சிலர் மாமா என்று அழைப்பதால், அன்னையுடன் பிறந்தவர் தாய் மாமா ஆகிவிடுவார்;

அவருக்கு இல்லத் திருமணங்களில் சரியான மதிப்புத் தரவில்லை என்றால், 'நாய் மாமா'வாக
மாறிவிடுவார்! :rant:

In all movies and tv serials, husband is called mama by the wife, murai mappillai is called mama, and an unsavory person is also called mama. Both husband and wife call their FIL 'mama'. It appears to be a universal term!

அக்காவின் கணவனையும் சிலர் மாமா என்று அழைப்பதால், அன்னையுடன் பிறந்தவர் தாய் மாமா ஆகிவிடுவார்;

அவருக்கு இல்லத் திருமணங்களில் சரியான மதிப்புத் தரவில்லை என்றால், 'நாய் மாமா'வாக
மாறிவிடுவார்! :rant:

Mama has become a versatile term. I feel like laughing aloud

when the 70 year old mami addresses the temple priest in his

early twenties as "mama".

Mama has become a versatile term. I feel like laughing aloud

when the 70 year old mami addresses the temple priest in his

early twenties as "mama".

And so is the word aunty.
I have lots of indian patients out here who are in their 60's but call me Aunty instead of doctor.
They feel doctor is less respectful and Aunty is more respectful.
But they never call any male doc Uncle.

Once I had a patient who was much older to me and kept on calling me non stop "aunty,aunty" in every sentence.

Then I joked with her saying "Ok Paatti"

And she started crying in my room saying"How can you call me Paatti? I am not your grandmother"

Did you ask her whether you were her

aththai, chithi, maami or periammaa??? :becky:

And so is the word aunty.
I have lots of indian patients out here who are in their 60's but call me Aunty instead of doctor.
They feel doctor is less respectful and Aunty is more respectful.
But they never call any male doc Uncle.

Once I had a patient who was much older to me and kept on calling me non stop "aunty,aunty" in every sentence.

Then I joked with her saying "Ok Paatti"

And she started crying in my room saying"How can you call me Paatti? I am not your grandmother"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back