• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Can English Compete Tamil?.. i mean in expressing thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"ondru vitta sahotharan / sahothari "??? :wacko:

Any answer for my Q?

Equivalent of the word 'cousin' in Senthamizh or Tamizh...
icon3.png

Dear Mrs.Visalakshi Ramani,

வணக்கம் (no equivalent in English !)
Answer to the question is a simple "no". I think and my thoughts float in my mother tongue தமிழ், but improve and express in English that I have learnt. In fact Tamil and English do not compete but compliment each other in bringing my thoughts better.

Languages evolve and develop as per the need of the community. Language is a medium of communication and used for expressing human thoughts. It is my personal view that we cannot judge the efficacy of a language by competing with another. Each is different in structure and grammar and has its own richness and beauty. It has been found that a Language find wider usage (like English) when It accepts new words from other languages depending on its need.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Namaste Sir! :pray2:

Excellent feedback :clap2:

Just as each of us have our individual style, each language has

its own style, elegance, and collection of words. :popcorn:

The "Universal Recipient" English keeps growing all the time

and those which retain the concept of Untouchability dwindle

down in course of time.

We can compare only LIKE things say two poems in the same

language. We can only appreciate the UNLIKE things.

So instead of trying to find out WHICH of these is better,

it will be wiser to figure out how to use BOTH of these for our

betterment. :decision:

Dear Mrs.Visalakshi Ramani,

வணக்கம் (no equivalent in English !)
Answer to the question is a simple "no". I think and my thoughts float in my mother tongue தமிழ், but improve and express in English that I have learnt. In fact Tamil and English do not compete but compliment each other in bringing my thoughts better.

Languages evolve and develop as per the need of the community. Language is a medium of communication and used for expressing human thoughts. It is my personal view that we cannot judge the efficacy of a language by competing with another. Each is different in structure and grammar and has its own richness and beauty. It has been found that a Language find wider usage (like English) when It accepts new words from other languages depending on its need.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Possible single word answers for cousin in செந்தமிழ் (I am not sure my answers qualify to be senthamizh)

அத்தான் (aunt's son) அத்தங்கா (aunt's daughter)அம்மாஞ்சி (uncle's son) அம்மங்கா (uncle's daughter)

I am reminded of reading the book Inscrutable Americans by Anurag Mathur ( The Inscrutable Americans - Funniest Book Ive read for a review Arsala (The United States)'s review of The Inscrutable Americans another review The Inscrutable Americans - Anurag Mathur ) - the following passages in that book:

Like there are so many words for describing different forms of Snow and Ice in Yupik (languages Eskimos speak Eskimo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), there are many words for describing relatives in Indian Languages!

Possible single word answers for cousin in செந்தமிழ் (I am not sure my answers qualify to be senthamizh)அத்தான் (aunt's son) அத்தங்கா (aunt's daughter)அம்மாஞ்சி (uncle's son) அம்மங்கா (uncle's daughter) .........
Dear Sir,

அத்தான் /
அத்தங்கா = அத்தையின் மகன் / அத்தையின் மகள்; அம்மாஞ்சி / அம்மங்கா = மாமாவின் மகன் / மாமாவின் மகள்

exist only in Tambram language! In Tamil cinema husband is addressed as
அத்தான்! :)

Refer:
p susheela athan ennathan - YouTube

I don't know if any word is there, in Tamil/ Tambram Tamil to denote,

சித்தப்பாவின், பெரியப்பாவின் (அப்பாவின் சகோதரர்கள்) மகன் / மகள்

சித்தியின், பெரியம்மாவின் (அம்மாவின் சகோதரிகள்) மகன் / மகள்

icon3.png

I am not clear who are these - dayadis and pangalis. These are common words to denote groups of relatives who have property rights and/or theetu.

Tambrams use the word தாயாதி. Father's brothers' sons are called தாயாதிs. They belong to the same GOthram.

Of course, they follow the 'theettu' concept.

Tamil has lots of very expressive words too!

Any equivalent words for the following?

வழவழா கொழகொழாவெனப் பேச்சு.

படீரென வெடித்தது.

பளீரென மின்னியது.

திடீரென்று தோன்றியது.

கலகலவென நகைத்தாள்.

பொலபொலவென்று கண்ணீர் பெருகியது.

குடுகுடுவென ஓடினான்.

மடமடவென்று
குடித்தான்.

These are a few examples!!

Those who are interested to see more such words can please go through the thread, 'மயக்கி மருட்டும் சொற்கள்' started by VR Mam, in the literature section. :ranger:

I guess "Pangaali" is the non brahmin equivalent of

"Daayaadi".I have never heard a brahmin utter the word

"Pangaali" and never a non brahmin utter the world

"Daayaadi". Both these words means people who are the

descendants of the same grand parents.

If I am wrong please correct me! :)

Thanks. And pangalis?

Thanks. And pangalis?

PangALi is the same as DhAyAdhi, as VR mam has pointed out. I checked with my friend to confirm this! :)
How to share the wealth amassed,
among themselves, will lead to 'PangALi chandai's!! :fencing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back