• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Building a Caste-less India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naina_Marbus

Building A Caste-Less India, One Child At A Time

Haran Suba who comes under the Adi-Dravidar community doesn’t want his daughters (his younger kid Isaisarithra is yet to join school) to use caste-based reservation, but hopes some financially challenged child gets it instead.

For Haran Suba (35), it was a conscious decision to keep his seven-year-old daughter Surekha out of the caste equation. With a MA, M.Phil (Tamil) and UGC NET in hand, he had knocked the doors of several minority-run colleges, only to be turned down by minorities who preferred candidates from their own religion.

Approaching Hindu-run management didn’t work as he hailed from a community that was different from theirs. Many of them openly commented that government quotas were available for people like him. He says that he faced a similar situation while hunting for homes in Coimbatore, “In fact, even people from the so-called lower castes treat certain sub-castes within their community as secondary citizens. It is just pathetic.”
He adds, “Government gives reservations for jobs but if you look at the private sector, the doors are pretty much closed and you cannot always rely on the government to help you out.” Haran Suba currently runs his own firm ‘Hello Talent’ academy that encourages extra-curricular activities in children.

He says for equality to prevail we need to remove caste-based oppression of every kind. “Till date, we use people from certain communities to do menial jobs like cleaning the sewers or septic tanks. This should be stopped and these jobs need to be mechanized.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have a child at home, you know very well how important the first day of school is. T. Gopinath was every bit that anxious father, he recalls it like it happened yesterday,

“We were fortunate to get admission in one of the best schools in Chennai. There, I stood in a line with my wife and three-year old son Devnath. We had just filled the admission form when the lady in charge returned it with a smile, ‘Sir, you have, by mistake, given NA in the caste column. Please check it.’ I replied, ‘No, I didn’t forget it. I don’t know what caste he is.’ The lady gave me a confused look wondering if I had gone mad. I went on, ‘I don’t know my wife’s caste so how am I supposed to know my son’s. She shook her head and said that I need to fill something. ‘If you don’t give a caste then your child will not get any Government benefits slotted for that caste.’ I laughed, ‘He is my child and not the government’s, so I trust I can take care of his future.’ His admission was sealed and hopefully, a new path has been set for my next generation, all thanks to my supportive wife.”

His six-year old son is currently studying in the first standard in the same school. This 38-year-old creative media professional says it was a natural decision, “I never believed in the caste system.” He believes books have had a major influence in his formative years and that may have prompted his decision.

By birth a Naidu, he married a woman of the Saiva-pilla caste, he says that caste has never entered their daily lives. He smiles, “Hopefully, my child will grow free and never know such things.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Chennai-based P. Kishore, it was a social outreach programme in college that opened his eyes to the status of Dalit communities in villages. Education was still a far cry for many of them despite reservations. This software professional believes that one cannot hold on to traditions and do more wrong.

His own origins further made him a firm believer of equality, “My parents come from different castes and religions and yet that never was a problem at home. They have never shared their life story but I have watched them lead a peaceful life. Social equality is possible; we just need to remove our resistance to change.” He adds, “My daughter Shauna will not have a caste and I know she needs to compete under the open category without any quota, but so be it. I believe the next generation will change for the better.”

While reservation may be needed till caste-based discrimination is fully erased, these men have taken a small step towards a bigger dream – a society that discriminates none. May their tribe thrive.

These Fathers Are Silently Building A Caste-Less India, One Child At A Time - The Better India

Last edited:
i believe caste was never an issue in school admission till the 18th century, except veda patasalas. If only govt had increased number of schools and colleges and made education available to all, history would nave been different.

Caste was never an issue in the organized private sector; I have interviewed over 100 candidates per year from entry level to middle management level for 20 years. May be relevant in small family held concernes - like a gounder transport company.

Only in tamilnadu ,people think, breathe caste all the time.

There are no caste based reservation in schools except sc/st. in delhi. there are minority institutions though

This OBC business has started in univ admissions after the mandal agitation innineties

yes, poorer sections get denied admissions on account of low income of parents and get shut out of privates schools.

I all my life never used my caste for education or work.

My children studied in convents where caste was not ever mentioned.

Only when they went to college , they faced the caste issue when he had to fill a form with caste column . My son wanted to know if he was forward caste.

They did not get jobs based on caste nor their marriage had anything to do with matching of caste.

what is the great deal about somebody not wanting to play the caste card?

perhaps in tamilnadu where bread and butter depends on caste , such things matter.

Last edited:
Only in tamilnadu ,people think, breathe caste all the time.

The others parts of the country are no better. They are equally worst.

A sample case:

Nitish Katara case:High Court reserves verdict on sentence

NEW DELHI: The Delhi High todayreserved its verdict on the sentence to be awarded to Uttar Pradesh politicianD P Yadav's son Vikasand two others convicted in the over 12-year-old Nitish Kataramurder case.

Vikas, his cousin Vishal Yadavand SukhdevPehelwan are serving life term for abducting and killing Katara, a businessexecutive and son of an IAS officer,on the intervening night of February 16-17, 2002. They did not approve of thevictim's affair with Bharti, daughter of D P Yadav

"Judgement reserved," aspecial bench of justices Gita Mittaland and J R Midha said after conclusion of arguments on the sentence on behalfof the prosecution, defence as well as the victim's mother.

The court had been hearingarguments on the punishment to be awarded to the three convicts.

The convicts have sought leniencyin sentencing as well as exemption from death sentence saying they can reformand their act was not so brutal or gruesome that it deserves capitalpunishment.

On the other hand, the victim'smother, Neelam Katara, and the Delhi Police have demanded death for the trioterming their offence to be the rarest of rare.

If not capital punishment, theconvicts be handed down an enhanced life sentence, they have contended.

The high court had on April 2,2014, upheld the verdict of the lower court in the case by describing theoffence as "honour killing" stemming from a "deeply-entrenchedbelief" in the caste system.

Katara was abducted and killed byVikas, Vishal and Sukhdev as they did not approve of the victim's affair withBharti because they belong to different castes, the court had said.

The high court had dismissed theappeals of the convicts and kept pending two separate pleas of the state and Neelam Kataraseeking death penalty for them.

Source: Nitish Katara case: High Court reserves verdict on sentence - Economic Times

I am talking about metrocity delhi.

How many have faced the caste discrimination here . ?

In metro cities like delhi not many play the caste card for any benefits or discrimination.

At least I have not faced it.

nobody makes fun or ridicule my caste.

all people of southern states are south indians and not all know there are four states in south india,

all southindians may face discrimination due to where they come from but hardly ever caste.

caste is low in priority list and no one is bothered about it much

I am talking about metrocity delhi.

Just go through this link which speaks volume about caste discrimination at Delhi University.
Round Table India - Discussion on 'Caste discrimination in Delhi University admissions'

You started the discussion with Tamil Nadu and now skipping to South India, four states, etc, etc

Caste discrimination is prevalent every nook and corner of India.

Don’t come here and preach like a ‘Pithamagan’.

Try to change the caste discrimination being practiced at Delhi under your very nose before taking up the case of Tamil Nadu.

reservation policy at its worst 67 percent exists only in tamilnadu .

in class 5 caste certificates get issued I believe. I may be wrong . I read about it.

When all benefits of govt are given on caste basis, naturally caste plays an important part.

to justify you also have it is immature .

Brahmins are the worst sufferers along with dalits because of caste in tamilnadu.

As a born brahmin, it has never been held against me anywhere in delhi.

Thats it.

If one is happy in suffering caste discrimination on daily basis in all essentials aspects of life , there is nothing more to discuss

Agree with VBji. There is no reverse discrimination of us Brahmins in TN except for the occasional rants by some politicians which is also very rare now !!! South Indian States including TN are much sought after by all the immigrants today in India !!

Let us stop using the word caste which is alien. Our system is jati rich, jati conscious, jati respecting tradition. Jatis evolve, flourish, divide and merge due to various reasons and pressures. Jati samam and jati respect is what is to be reinculcated. Jati related violence is a recent phenomenon. One has to search hard to find one say 100 years ago. Violence against Hindus by invaders of abrahamic faiths has vitiated the live-let live environment of our holy land.

hi

govt makes more castes to include in SC/ST/OBC/MOST OBC etc....so india can not a casteless country...

Agree with VBji.
There is no reverse discrimination of us Brahmins in TN except for the occasional rants by some politicians which is also very rare now !!!
South Indian States including TN are much sought after by all the immigrants today in India !!

:thumb:

TBs in tamilnadu all want to run off to US or bangalore. not many youngsters would like to work in tamilnadu by choice. for IT,MBA it is cosmopolitan bangalore or singapore if not US or european countries.

Who can put up with the locals there getting insulted due to caste ?

brahmins are shown in bad light in most of the films.

it is slow disintegration of brahmin families.

Girls atleast one in every or extended family marries out of caste.

parents get left helpless in old age homes.

now search is only for brahmin senior citizen homes in tamilnadu

TBs in tamilnadu all want to run off to US or bangalore. not many youngsters would like to work in tamilnadu by choice. for IT,MBA it is cosmopolitan bangalore or singapore if not US or european countries.

Who can put up with the locals there getting insulted due to caste ?

brahmins are shown in bad light in most of the films.

it is slow disintegration of brahmin families.

Girls atleast one in every or extended family marries out of caste.

parents get left helpless in old age homes.

now search is only for brahmin senior citizen homes in tamilnadu

Can you substantiate your contentions?

Everyone is free to write anything but with some amount of substance.

Since you have raised these points, the onus of responsibility lies with you to prove them.

If you can't they are nothing but blah blah.lol

Building casteless India.

If caste is division among people on the basis of certain observed and observable attributes which are occurring repeatedly through generations then it is just another classification like, say, Europians, Asians, Mongoloids, negroid, Nardics, Anglo saxons etc., Let it be there as long as it is not used to discriminate people. Any attempt to build a casteless society would be equivalent to trying to build a race-less society in the world. Both will be just tilting at the windmill.

If opportunities are denied to brahmins in institutions and employment days are not far off that our boys and girls may have to act like the Israelis! Israel is surrounded by Arab countries who hate them at every instance but the Israelies in unison fight against their enemies and continue to live and do what they want. We may also be in such a situation if not now maybe in the near future. My humble suggestion is brahmins should unite in thought and deed and wherever brahmins are placed in a better position they should have the hearts to help the helpless brahmin boys and girls in getting education, employment and business opportunities. If this is done then brahmins need not worry about anyone and live peacefully with honour. The boys and girls should also ponder over this seriously and help the community in a well organised position without resorting to inter-caste/inter-religious marriages. Numbers also count these days!

I believe that "caste" has been an integral part of the society in this sub-continent. Essentially, caste is a, or is like a, cooperative of families with many things in common, such as language, avocation, social customs and belief systems, and so on. In the course of the millennia, every caste got split into sub-castes, sub-sub castes, etc., and, like some of the political parties (and also the terror outfits of Pakistan!) the castes grew by splitting and the castes split as they grew!

What we are trying, a caste-less society in India, will be very difficult to achieve, imo; even Brahmin or Brahmanan as one caste will, for all practical purposes, remain on paper only. What is needed is to realize and accept the complexity (and, perhaps, the usefulness) of the caste phenomenon and try to put it to the optimum benefit. I would request learned members to give their views on this.

well, i didnt know the facts till a few minutes back; it happened earlier this week. in chennai. my niece got married. arranged marriage. mrs K and two children attended. all gala and high spending wedding. 70 lakhs? maybe more!

just now we were going through the pix. the niece's mil was twice married, first to an iyer, widowed, next to a chettiar, widowed, 3 children. the two daughters, older to the groom, i think one bil is chettiar, the other not sure.

the chettiar i made out only through the name provided to me. the features are tamil, and i have relatives equally tamil featured ;). so what we call 'brahmana kaLai' is more a figment of our prejudices, and not one inherited by caste.

the groom is doing well, phd from iit, and now working in nyc. that is all mattered. the boy girl met. liked each other. thanks to one of the wedding sites - tamil matrimony or shadi or one of those.

since the wedding was conducted from our side, it was a pucca pattar wedding, with a rather firm (slim though) built bride, who needed 5 strong males to lift her up; equal no on the groom's side; all for maalai maatral.

our family's small contribution to a caste-less society among hindus. arranged cross caste marriage.

caste has no place for us who reside in north america, i find. it is like yet another piece of cloth, that we shed, once we leave the bharat shores. and take on an identity, complete, as an indian first, tamil second, hindu third, and nothing more.

i am yet to find one tambram boy/girl brought up here marrying within tambrams; lots marrying other indians (seems to be the first choice) hindus; second choice whites, though the whites are mostly agnostic, or no formal religious upbringing; and willing to go along for a hindu wedding tamasha. :)

cannot say the same thing for india, though. sad. i think.

Last edited:
hi

i think....in india....CASTE LESS SOCIETY MEANS BRAHMIN LESS SOCIETY....all other castes are accepted...EXCEPT BRAHMIN...

ONLY BRAHMIN HATRED IS CASTE LESS SOCIETY....same cannot in the case of JATT or KAYASTHA/BANIYA CASTE

communities....

May be TBS. As is seen and heard in many stories, like Birbal, Panchatantra, etc., people get jealous of talented, learned and efficient people. They try and spread all sorts of rumors. That is how this caste hate system is evolved, I think. We must stop spending or rather wasting our energy on these trivial issues and move forward with positive thinking. We have so much to do in so little time because we get time to do things essentially to the society is after we turn 60 plus by which time we are useless mere mortals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back