• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Any advise on building muscle within our diet?

I am trying to focus on converting my bodyfat into muscle.
This reply is not about the choice of diet and nutrition approach.

If your aim is to tone up the body as a whole (and that means also shedding excess fat) then I will recommend Yoga. Just 30-45 minutes per day. But you cannot expect phenomenal results in just 2-3 months and it is important not to get frustrated and give up. It may take 6-9 months to really start feeling the results but after that the progress is quite fast. You can buy 'Light on Yoga' (book/DVD) by B. K. S. Iyengar and practise on your own. Each asana is given a difficulty rating which is a number. The easier asanas have a lower rating but these suffice to shed body fat. And to practise these easier asanas you do not need to attend Yoga classes - the book/DVD with the instructions/ illustrations is a good self learning guide.

Yoga may not help build impressive biceps, but it is a very complete system of exercise in that it does not ignore any part of the body. Apart from losing weight and fat, the body also becomes very flexible.

In another post you said that you are in your thirties and it is quite safe for you to start Yoga. Even after going from fat to fit, it is important to continue Yoga else the hard won fitness can be lost and one has to start all over again!

Good luck!

There are no easy solutions. Eat healthy food, control your intake of Carbs, and hit the gym for at least 2 hours a day.
Yes do Yoga for Mind-body fitness, but hit weights for mucles.

I am trying to focus on converting my bodyfat into muscle.

Any advise on how to lower the portion of carbohydrates and obtain good protein sources within our own diet? I don't want to simply just eat salad everyday.
I just saw this thread today.

Firstly to give advise on body building, I would need to know your body type.
That is are you an:

1)Ectomorph( tall, thin, less muscular)..these types usually have thin legs and tend to put on weight in the midsection and building muscle is kind of hard for these body types.

2)Mesomorph(muscular types, build muscle easily), have very low percentage of body fat.

3)Endomorph( tend to be obese)

all the 3 above have a different dietary and exercise requirement..so all I can give is a general advise.

Next is "what are you looking for?"
If you want to look Greek God types 6 pack and all like a Bahubaali then its really hard work at a gym.
Consistent work out.

For a vegetarian you would protein from pea protein shakes and even iso-whey protein shakes but be careful as these types over stress the kidneys.

Your diet has to be a bit less in oil and make sure you take complex carbohydrates.
Eat purple colored sweet potato, its a good source of slow release carbs.

When you cook rice, do not cook it in a rice cooker..instead boil it and throw the water away so you have less starch and eat the rice.

You can take your usual yogurt(curds) but not too much.
If you eat tofu add it to your diet.

You should strike a balance in diet..its not about high protein and low carbs..its about getting everything in right alignment.

Remember if you are working out at a gym, your body tends to become less flexible..so make sure you stretch a little with some basic yoga exercise.

Next, if you are looking for a low impact muscle toning work out, then you can try Yoga..its helps build core strength and muscle stability.

Also do not forget your cardio..most of guys who want to build muscle tend to skip cardio..frankly thats the worst thing to do cos its strains the heart with only weights and no cardio.

Another important fact to remember..if we look at our cavemen ancestors they never did exercises like what we do today..they were simple active all day long, hunter gatherers and kindling fire, doing work 24/7, hitting a woman on their heads and dragging them to a cave...likewise, just simply be active 24/7.

hi doctor,

Another important fact to remember..if we look at our cavemen ancestors they never did exercises like what we do today..they were simple active all day long, hunter gatherers and kindling fire, doing work 24/7, hitting a woman on their heads and dragging them to a cave...likewise, just simply be active 24/7.

like 6 packs of GREEK GODS...LOL

There is no such thing as "converting body fat to muscle." Biology does not operate that way. Fat loss and muscular hypertrophy are 2 different, often conflicting processes. Please educate yourself on the basics before you start training.

I have been an amateur gym goer for many years, but it's only thanks to the Covid lockdowns that I started being consistent and taking it seriously. I have installed a power rack and full weight set+bench in my domicile. I went from 67KG body weight to 88KG now in 15 months.

If you want to gain muscle, you must lift weights. Resistance training is the only way to trigger muscular hypertrophy. Resistance bands and calisthenics may work to some extent, but it is only lifting progressively heavier weights that will make you stronger. Strength is quantifiable and objective. The weight on the barbell never lies to you. If you lift 100KG today, you will either lift 101KG tomorrow or you will fail to. There is a beautiful truth to it that few other activities share. Strength = force production on external object, such as a barbell.

I have personally found that having a trainer helps me with accountability and consistency, even after learning proper form for the major exercises. My trainer is in Mumbai and we connect by WhatsApp video call for the duration of the workout, I simply place my phone on a tripod so that he may observe my actions through the camera. Happy to share his contact for those who might be interested, but online/video training is so common now in this space that nearly everyone is offering it.

As far as programs and plans go, Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is the best out there.

Now to answer your question about food, if you have dietary restrictions, focus on quantity if getting bigger is your goal. Eat as much as you can, aim for 5000 calories/day. Again, the reality of biology is not as simple as it appears. If you eat a spoonful of ghee or fat, it does not go into your digestive tract-then liver and somehow automatically and magically becomes a layer of belly flab or other body fat. Metabolism is a complex subject, but know that just because you eat fatty foods doesn't mean you necessarily add body fat to yourself. Carbs are more "fatty" or fat producing than fats themselves. The YouTube channel "What I've Learned" does a good job of introducing you to some of these subjects such as Ketosis and the dangers of carbs/sugar. Unfortunately for a TamBrahm diet, it is very difficult to escape carbs entirely. The simple rule of thumb is this: if it has come from a tree or a plant, it has sugar = carbs.

If you eat eggs and fish, take full advantage of that. I wake up and eat a minimum 12 soft-boiled eggs everyday along with my coffee and a small serving of fruit. Do this religiously and you will get at least 40 grams of protein to start your day. Also look into making your own or buying organic nut butters. Just eat several spoon-fuls of cashew, almond, peanut butter etc. every hour. Supplement with whey protein and casein (both derived from Milk) to meet your daily protein requirement. Aim for 3 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight. So if you weigh 70 kilos, aim to consume at least 210 grams of protein every single day religiously. If you meet your protein and caloric intake requirements, and destroy your muscles enough by lifting progressively heavier and heavier weights- hypertrophy or size gain is inevitable. None of this is a secret or anything mystical, if you put in the work- you will get the body.

Yoga is a very subtle practice. Please do not practice book yoga.
It is always good to practice with a qualified instructor.
There are very minute details like way you breath, way you sit, way you keep your palms everything affects the practice.
Going under guidance of trained teacher will make a world of difference

That's a great goal you've got there! Converting body fat into muscle is a smart approach to getting in shape. You don't have to stick to salads every day, there are plenty of other options to get your protein and reduce carbs. You can also try eating lean meats, fish, and eggs.

Latest ads

Back