• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmins

Status
Not open for further replies.
We must feel proud to be brahmins. Brahmin is not a caste. It is a way of life. Today's world poses serious challenges for this tradition. We must face it in our stride. We must stay away from meat, tobacco and alcohol. Males should perform sandhya vandanam daily. In our spare time we must chant Rama nama. (I learnt from 'Ramayan' in SUN TV that Rama nama is more powerful than even Rama himself!). Unfortunately, there has always been a malicious propoganda against brahmins in Tamil Nadu. They accuse brahmins of casteism. They are oblivious of the fact that it is brahmins who worked (and still work) to remove casteism. Subramanya Bharathy adored harijan boys with poonool and Vaidyanatha Iyer led harijan children into Madurai Meenakshi amman temple. Brahmin is one who has mind like iron and heart like butter. Let us be brahmins and preserve this wonderful tradition in such a way that our future generations can benefit from it.

Brahmin is not a caste. It is a way of life. ......Let us be brahmins and preserve this wonderful tradition in such a way that our future generations can benefit from it.

Why should only a small miniscule porrtion of the population in the whole of humanity preserve it? Brahmins are only around 3% of the whole population in India and when you consider world population, we are nowhere .What not distribute the responsibilty to others too by not discriminating.

Also do you mean no body else in the whole of humanity have these qualities?

We must feel proud to be brahmins. Brahmin is not a caste. It is a way of life. Today's world poses serious challenges for this tradition. We must face it in our stride. We must stay away from meat, tobacco and alcohol. Males should perform sandhya vandanam daily. In our spare time we must chant Rama nama. (I learnt from 'Ramayan' in SUN TV that Rama nama is more powerful than even Rama himself!). Unfortunately, there has always been a malicious propoganda against brahmins in Tamil Nadu. They accuse brahmins of casteism. They are oblivious of the fact that it is brahmins who worked (and still work) to remove casteism. Subramanya Bharathy adored harijan boys with poonool and Vaidyanatha Iyer led harijan children into Madurai Meenakshi amman temple. Brahmin is one who has mind like iron and heart like butter. Let us be brahmins and preserve this wonderful tradition in such a way that our future generations can benefit from it.
Shri Haridas Siva,

i have seen many posts here about brahmins, the brahmin culture, the brahmin way of life, etc. But sadly, almost all these opinions are expressed with a very myopic vision of brahmins as seen during the last one hundred years at the most, not covering any more period. The result is that these opinions reflect a mindset that the "brahmin way of life" is what has been there for these one hundred years, and with no effort made to learn what it was in the earlier periods of history.

You say that brahmins "must stay away from meat, tobacco and alcohol". But our smritis (dharma saastras) clearly and unambiguously show that brahmins ate meat and even had to offer it in the sraaddha rite. Coming to alcohol, one whole book of the rigveda is devoted to soma which appears to have been an intoxicating substance. But all possible efforts are now being made to interpret the soma hymns in so many other ways; the fact that the word soma later (when the original substance from which the rigvedic people extracted soma juice, became unavailable) came to denote the moon, a king, etc. Still even in the last century and this, the soma sacrifices use some sort of creeper, which has to be purchased and supplied by the king and press it and take its juice; they don't go by the moon=soma theory. Hence if we accept soma as an intoxicant and was available today, probably tobacco or alcohol will not be taboo from the scriptural point of view. In fact I have heard one very learned Sanskrit scholar and purohit (who had snuff habit) quoting a Sloka which means while 'bilva' is Siva's favourite, 'tulsi' that of vishnu, it is tobacco which is the favourite of both. The conclusion comes out of dissecting the sanskrit word for tobacco, I think. At best alcohol might have been banned as equivalent to "surA", the drink of the asuras.

It is not clear to me whether you want removal of castes which will most probably dilute the brahminic ways of life you refer to, or you are referring to Bharatiyar and Vaidyanatha Iyer just to impress that the spite against brahmins in Tamil Nadu should go.

If your concern is limited to the few items - avoiding meat, tobacco and alcohol, performance of sandhya vandanam daily, and chanting Ramanama in spare time - I may say that there may be many such persons among the brahmins, but not all of them may chant ramanama but some other nama of god.

Dear Mr.Sangom,

I have read and also heard that SOma pAnam is different from SurA pAnAm.

SOma rasam was used in yagnA and YAgA while SurA was the intoxicating liquor!

Am I correct in what I have understood?

with warm regards,
V.R.

Thanks for your detailed reply. I appreciate your concern. The point I want to highlight is that while we don't have to feel superior for being born a brahmin, we do not also have to feel ashamed to uphold our traditions. It is not just privilege but also our duty to preserve our culture. I am not asking people to follow what was done in the past. Neither do I suggest Varanasirama dharma as the path. All I am suggesting is to set a clear example to others by our conduct and to cherish our tradition. No matter what anyone says we must stay away from 'evils'. If the sanscrit scholar known to you said somapana was a common drink for both Shiva and Vishnu, so be it. Netrikkan tirappinum kutram kutrame. My philosophy is "lokha samasta sukhino bavantu".

How much is brahmin population to the total population is not important. As I replied to another member, brahminism is a privilege and duty. We have to safeguard value systems.

Lokha samasta sukhino bavantu.

Dear all Brahmin,

I thought I might sneak into this group, and ask a few hints to you, fellows from Tamil Nadu, from Tam'Brahm living in transnational families setting :)

I am french PHd student, and doing a thesis about the population's ageing in India seen from a transnational point of view (transnational families). Most of my field research is done in Tamil Nadu (Chennai) with the parents.
and I am now going to toronto for a month of fieldwork with NRI whom have parents in India.
The point of this trip is to meet NRI people and get to know more about their conditions and their point of view regarding the experience of transnational life and care across miles.

I'll be in Toronto next april, so I would be interested in getting a maximum of contributors (people, associations .... people who would like to contribute in this researche ;-)
Understand that this facebook group is the perfect opportunity for me to ask!
So let's go to the point: if you think of any connexions back in Toronto I could meet, or if you are interested in contributing to this research please let me know! Don't hesitate to reach me via facebook and I can explain more.
I thank you in advance for your help,

Mathilde

Sri.Mapla sir,

Greetings. I am just curious...are you a Muslim from Kerala? Well, I have nothing against it; just curious. You need not reply if you do not like to.

Cheers!

No, I'm a french PhD student from France actually
so I'm not muslim from kerala.

Sri.Mapla sir,

Thanks for your reply. Muslims in Kerala are also known by the term 'maplas'; Hence the enquiry. Good luck with your PhD research.

Cheers!

Dear Mr.Sangom,

I have read and also heard that SOma pAnam is different from SurA pAnAm.

SOma rasam was used in yagnA and YAgA while SurA was the intoxicating liquor!

Am I correct in what I have understood?

with warm regards,
V.R.

Smt VR,

Yes, your info is right. While there is a lot of information about how the soma juice was prepared etc., we have very little info about surA. I will not be surprised if in future evidence surfaces to show that both were nearly identical but the deva backers derided the opponents by calling the others' drink by a different name.

In Travancore the king's meal is always called "amrutettu" while that of the ordinary person is always "karikkADi"!

perhaps this may help: Traditional Fermentation Technology

While Soma was more associated with Rigved, Sura was more commonly mentioned in the Yajurved. Sura preparation is described in the Katyayana srauta sutra.

Sura was created (invented?) by the Ashvins. The Ashvins were privileged to drink soma, sura and madhu.

Soma was pressed from the soma plant / creeper and fermented with barley; while Sura was a fermented drink made from rice / paddy + barley.

more details here: Soma: the divine hallucinogen - Google Books

regards

perhaps this may help: Traditional Fermentation Technology

While Soma was more associated with Rigved, Sura was more commonly mentioned in the Yajurved. Sura preparation is described in the Katyayana srauta sutra.

Sura was created (invented?) by the Ashvins. The Ashvins were privileged to drink soma, sura and madhu.

Soma was pressed from the soma plant / creeper and fermented with barley; while Sura was a fermented drink made from rice / paddy + barley.

more details here: Soma: the divine hallucinogen - Google Books

regards
Thanks a lot Smt. HH

Whenever we give the link (url) for a particular page to someone that page becomes 'unrevealed'. Can this be remedied pl?

May be SOma and SurA were one and the same! The drink of the Gods was named as Soma rasam while that of the AsurAs was named a SurA pAnam.

It is possible! We call the rice we eat as 'annam' or 'ChAdham' but call the rice given away as 'chOru' and that offered to God as MahA Neivedhyam.

Different names to denote the different grades of the same product
icon5.png
icon4.png

Last edited:
Ok ...
Actually MaPla is a short way to say Mathilde Plard (My full 'girl' name).
I'm sorry for the misunderstangin.
I hope that you have some advises and contact for my PhD fieldwork in Toronto ?
I've done lot of work in Chennai (stay in old age home - like classic kudumbam for a while, stay with brahmin family ...) so I'm just at the end of my programm and I really need your support to help me in Toronto to meet NRI whom parents are still in India.
Actually the Brahmin community look to be very strong, even across miles, the joint family is still here in the mind of everybody.

Thanks for everything
mathilde

Dear Mathilde Plard,

You never cease to surprise us!

Instead of being Kerala Muslim Man ( as suggested by your nickname)
you have turned out to be an adventurous French Girl.

While to world is discussing transsexuals, you have indeed selected a beautiful topic 'Transnational families' for you thesis.

We brahmins are living in a strange situation. We can neither join our children who have settled abroad nor live by ourselves here as we grow old and infirm!

As rightly pointed out by you, only the strength of our spirits is keeps us together and helps us to survive in this challenging world.

We wish you 'the very best of luck' to get all the info you need for your PhD.

I am sure all the members here are willing to help you in every possible way- since you have a selected a topic that concerns us (and more because you seem to be a cute little girl!)

with best wishes,
Visalakshi Ramani.
:clap2:

Dear Ms. Mathilde Ji,

If you want to include American Indians living in USA also for your research, I can refer you to scores of TamBrahm families living here with folks back in India. I am sure Professor Nara Ji can do the same.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Mathilde Plard,

Just as I wished (and predicted) you now have persons to help you in your thesis in India, in USA and in Toronto itself.

Make the most of all the offers to help you and come out in flying colors in your research. I hope we all will get to see the valuable findings of your research.

Good luck and best wishes,
Visalakshi Ramani.

Dear Haridasa Siva,
first, are you related to Siva family from Jamshedpur! I am curious because I am one. Second, I am a brahmin and proud to be brahmin.but unfortunately, brahmins are driven out of TN. let us stay together. of late, I find brahmins in TN have become assertive. God bless them

In N. India, Brahmins are fountly in towns and cities, mostly in services. They don't, in general, own large land holdings or big business. A few are self employed, very few. In rural areas, Brahmins have been poor, except when some one in the family was in service. My grandfather was one such. He was a Subedar Major when there were onlly two in the whole district. He turned around our family's fortunes.

But, inspite of the lower economic status, they WERE still respected. Now, in Punjab the situation has changed. Brahmins are no longer what they were. But then other castes too are not what they were. Villages, in general, have lots of prosperity. There is a general shortage of Hindu priests, more and more Bihari brahmins are filling the gap.

In hill areas, like Himachal, Uttranchal lot many Brahmins are non vegetarians. We of Punjab [plains] don't intermarry with them. In UP, Haryana, Rajasthan it is not much different. Bihar is a different place.

I know of Bengali Brahmins who are strict veggies. I know of Begali and Tamilian Brahmins who can can pass as Punjabis. Yet I have seen Punjabi Brahmins who are so dark that only the lineage helps them. My son is like that.

But one thing which is pan Indian. Brahmins have a thousands of years of years literary traditions. My g'mother died when I was only 3 months old. But as got to know, she knew enough Hindi to read Ramayna. My father's chachi acted as my g'mother, she had a son my age, and she only 10 years older than HER!. And at night she related tales from Ramayana and Mahabharata and other folk tales. Some got imprinted in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back