• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmins fight for Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sri.vmmrs said -

On the day of leaving he posed a question to me " no brahmin girl is ready even from a poor family to marry me. What is wrong if I marry a girl from other caste". I am still dumb bound. The culture inme (whether it is there in me) does not have the courage to accept this . But my heart tells what is wrong. Will I be able to accept this man as my vadhyar for shrardham etc. in case this marriage materialises. As a social animal will I have the courage to recognise this. I require enlightment

Greetings. Very bold question indeed! Someone in this same forum stated he married a Muslim girl; she got so assimilated, he said it would be hard to even suspect it now. Vyasa Baghavan's mother was 'Machaganthi'; During Sahasranama parayanam, are we not say devotionally that ' Vyasam Vaashishta naptharam sakthe pouthra magal masham; Parasarthmajam vandhe suga thaadham ......' We recognise and identify Parasarar as the father. My point is, only vadhyar is important, not vadhyar's pathini. Well, my 2 cents!

Cheers!

What if we had a country ruled by tamil Brahmins majority. I think many of our group would probably point to Singapore – for many reasons – family values, basic honesty, hard work, appreciation of education, thrift, saving for a rainy day, and above all to acquire a sense of security while thriving on competition.

I am not talking about individual family values, but values of a society.

I watched only the first two parts of the attached video 8/29/10 singapore national day by their prime minister. A very intelligent man in a very intelligent country.

I found part 1 hilarious. The U.S. might want to rethink, again re its manufacturing capabilities and put some effort to rebuilding a lost skillset.

Part 2 is very topical. For us TBs. here is one place, for us to go, close to Chennai and tamil nadu, but with western quality of life. I have now two generation of relatives living there and very very happy. Good emigration folks.

YouTube - S'pore National Day Rally 2010 Pt 1/8 - 29/08/2010

when i have more time i will go through rest of Lee Hsien Loong's speech. best wishes to that little great country..

... On the day of leaving he posed a question to me " no brahmin girl is ready even from a poor family to marry me. What is wrong if I marry a girl from other caste". I am still dumb bound. The culture inme (whether it is there in me) does not have the courage to accept this . But my heart tells what is wrong. Will I be able to accept this man as my vadhyar for shrardham etc. in case this marriage materialises. As a social animal will I have the courage to recognise this. I require enlightment:wof:
I would say that so long as the other caste girl follows the customs and culture of the boy (the vaadhyaar, in this case) we should not have any objection in making him our purohit. I would do that if that occasion arises.

Incidentally, there were more than a few vaideekans, some decades ago, who had secret (but known to all ;)) liaison with non-brahmin women also, and the society did not even murmur. They were even honoured by the Sankaracharyas, taught vedas/mantras to the high and mighty in the society. I also learnt for sometime under him when he taught the poor brahmin boys free of fees!!

Plan is always there

Sir, Dead body is ritual only in India. It is a custom and not mindset. If this custom is adhered to by all across the world, then Brahmins will have opportunity everywhere. The problem is that it is not. We cannot change other's mind and that other's also include other's of our people.You can change your mentality but not our mentality. Particularly it is so when people find it a well set mentality. Your anguish about Professors is understandable. But I stand by what I have posted.

My action plan is to work through Courts. It is very ineffective but yet the only thing that can help us against all the odds. If we file an WP or SLP for something like 'Reservation', it will be dismissed easily in the first stage. But if we persevere, we can penetrate. I am a lawyer and I am above 80 in age. I use other's help to stay connected. That means I cannot handle the case myself. But I can definitely get the right help. THAMBRAS cannot do it but I do not share same opinion on THAMBRAS as others of this forum. I know their constraint. If they come out openly against certain policy of the Government, then their ability offer job to our people in their Corporate and other venture also will suffer. Remember that even NRI Brahmins are interested in higher education for their wards in Tamilnadu. Therefore we need another Registered identity. Its financial power should be from abroad, preferably purely from those who do not have any stake in Tamilnadu. Is it possible?
Are you looking for a plan to counter 'the mood to drive away all the Brahmins'? Sir, I don't think we can have a plan for that, in my opinion. If we try to change other's mind, our rate of success may not be great; but if we try to change our mentality, our thinking pattern, we can expect a high rate of success. In my opinion, an action should address a change in our mentality, in my opinion.
Cheers!

Sir, your post says indirectly that Non Brahmin girls are waiting to marry your Vaadyar! That cannot be true. If he finds no girls amongst Brahmin now, he has to just wait. However if someone from Non Brahmin community is interested in him genunely, he can go ahead. Even if it amounts to quitting his Vaadyar profession and taking up the job that he will get through his in-law families, there is nothing wrong. Because Brahmins only pay peanuts for Vaadyars nowadays and so any other job will just be better.
On the day of leaving he posed a question to me " no brahmin girl is ready even from a poor family to marry me. What is wrong if I marry a girl from other caste". I am still dumb bound. The culture inme (whether it is there in me) does not have the courage to accept this . But my heart tells what is wrong. Will I be able to accept this man as my vadhyar for shrardham etc. in case this marriage materialises. As a social animal will I have the courage to recognise this. I require enlightment:wof:

Sir, your post says indirectly that Non Brahmin girls are waiting to marry your Vaadyar! That cannot be true. If he finds no girls amongst Brahmin now, he has to just wait. However if someone from Non Brahmin community is interested in him genunely, he can go ahead. Even if it amounts to quitting his Vaadyar profession and taking up the job that he will get through his in-law families, there is nothing wrong. Because Brahmins only pay peanuts for Vaadyars nowadays and so any other job will just be better.

from what i gather there are three situations re vaadhyars:

- the high in demand ones, the popular and appear to be wise ones: these make top money and are role models for the juniors

- the underpaid juniors and muffs: some are smart juniors who can find a niche and get ahead; the muffs are those who dropped into this profession because they failed in their secular jobs (like my old vadhyar when i grew up - he was caught stealing railway property and went to jail) or those with no ambition

- no vadhyars available; do it yourself vadhyars on the rise... in the u.s. and australia.

re this guy: be kind to him. his seeds are getting scarce and dry. he needs a woman to reap the thousand year crops. i think you are harsh in your demand that he waits. he has waited enough. if you know of any girl willing to marryhim, don't stop, but rush to grab the phone.

Sri.Vija,

The gentleman vadhyar in question is already 32 years old. Waiting longer may not be very feasible. குறத்திக்கு பிரசவமானால், குறவன் ஏன் பத்தியம் இருக்கணும்? It is the vadhyar who has to be a caste Brahmin; why should there be any condition for the vadhyaar pathini? I have never seen anyone paying 'Vadhyaar pathini sambhavanai'.

Cheers!

Namaste Vijaji,

I think vmmrsji is concerned about the problem faced by a brahmin boy not finding a brahmin girl just because he is in vadhyar professional (for reasons unknown? or for reasons very much known? reasons reasonable? rational? irrational?)

Earnings of a person ie low income or high income are relative and individual persons way of living (standard of living?)

A peanut for one may be a coconut for another

It is very much unfortunate to eliminate brides/grooms, in the process of selection, solely based on beauty/handsome/income(profession ?)/culture(morals? chastity ?)

Jai SiyaRaam

Sri.RKB said -

We cannot change other's mind and that other's also include other's of our people.You can change your mentality but not our mentality. Particularly it is so when people find it a well set mentality. Your anguish about Professors is understandable. But I stand by what I have posted.

Greetings. Sir, it is true, we may not be able to change other's mind. But with logic, we should be able to get them to see our point of view. You are displaying a rigid mentalitty that does not allow any flexibility here.

That's why you are mentioning about fighting in courts. Also you admit it is very ineffective method. Sir, fighting in a court is long drwan out and viewed only by a few.

There are more flexible and very effective methods available. If you are going to represent a group, you are required to be flexible, required to negotiate, required to concede at times to gain grounds.

Cheers!

I do not deny anything that you say. But after filing a suit in a Court (be it India or anywhere in the world) the petitioner is not allowed any flexibility. He has to argue only for the 'Prayer' in the petition filed. I have given a statement for a prayer and it will not be possible for me to vacillate. That will not be seen as professional and hence I appeal to you to be pragmatic with your demand for flexibility sir.
Sri.RKB said -
Greetings. Sir, it is true, we may not be able to change other's mind. But with logic, we should be able to get them to see our point of view. You are displaying a rigid mentalitty that does not allow any flexibility here.

That's why you are mentioning about fighting in courts. Also you admit it is very ineffective method. Sir, fighting in a court is long drwan out and viewed only by a few.

There are more flexible and very effective methods available. If you are going to represent a group, you are required to be flexible, required to negotiate, required to concede at times to gain grounds.

Cheers!

Usually, it is human nature not to part with money or an article worth its value, even for a noble cause. But, to start with, certain things can be done.

1. Teach/Guide school/college students, without expecting anything in return.

2. Coach/prepare/train the aspiring unemployed youth to appear for any (competitive) examinations and in securing regular employment.

3. Recommend the cases of well deserving students/youth of indigent families to the known people at responsible positions for help in any manner.

4. Gift used clothes, vessels/utensils, bicycles or even bikes/scooters to poor people, provided these are in good shape and condition.

5. Start a medicines bank and collect unused medicines (expiry date of which is far away) and distribute them to the poor and the needy through some organisation, doctors and nursing homes, free of cost.

6. Extend any professional help or render some services relating to one's field or profession, as a duty to the society.

7. Do not to accept any bribes or gifts or any favours for one's duty, but request the beneficiaries to patronise some poor boy/girl for educational purpose, but without any compulsion or riders.

8. Assist the poor and innocent people in fulfilling various formalities required for availing concessions/benefits extended by the government/NGOs.

9. Educate and enlighten the ignorant masses of the lower strata regarding their fundamental rights as guaranteed by the Indian Constitution.

10. Finally, though it may appear silly, why don't you pick up some poor students or persons on your vehicle, as and when possible/convenient and drop them at their school/college/place of work?

Last edited:
we have to know from local govt. bodies, like village office, or panchayat office etc. what are the aids from govt. to common man. in that all people includes and no reservation hurdles exists for such grants. a few are old age pension, widow pension and there children school aids, marriage grants, and also there are some reservations for the kids of widow. etc

some of our members may in local bodies can give more info in this regard.

Last edited:
shri pannavalan sir,
I agree nearabout all your points.
I only want to say here some points.
1. when there is a most powerful organisation namely govt. exist which collects taxes for these things why time came to good hearted people to do these things.
2. Are effort of individuals sufficiant to ease hardships of our community.
4. does a community whose members are settled in large numbers in foreign countries lack funds. I am talking about whole brahmin community and not only TBrahmin.
5. does a community where a large number are fiercly intended to shed identiy. have disgust of their identiy as brahmin (due to money they are getting due to their genes ). where there is an intercaste married girl and a boy whose marriage is not going to happen every next door is going to servive.
6. the community whose members are vary happy when criticising their own community just for sake of intllectualism.
7. a community where participating an caste event is something to be ridiculed for its members.
I know a large number of human tradgedies in brahmin communiy just because thy are brahmin including extreme opression and grabbing of lands by those nb who married to brahmin girls. I think all this ironic, irritating and helplessness.
May Jews teach some of their prudence to us

Mr.Hoover,
I find that you are always agitated and upset about the present day condition of Tamil Brahmins.Try to be COOL and CALM. Problems can be solved only if you are cool and calm
It is not possible for any GOVERNMENT to manage/attend to/solve all problems with the tax revenues.This is the position in all countries.Persons who are rich with 'enlightened
selfishness' do spare their excess money (after meeting their personal demands for money) for charitable and noble causes.LET US WISH THAT THIS TRIBE MAY INCREASE!

perhaps you are right.
bill gates is donating his wealth.
shri krishnamurthy sir,
here problem is not scaracity of money but it is utilistion, lack of devotion for cause and acceptance of ground realities is the main problem. once there was efficiant govt machinary but scarcity of funds now revenue is huge but machinary is rotten.
and there is identiy crisis, more grave than the material conditions. unless we assume unanimuously these things we are going nowhere. shortcut and bypass to all problems is not going to be a solution. and hope it is the thing which has no end. we may hope that the tribe you said will grow. and vagitarianism will rise. and politicans will thing selflessly etc etc.

Dear Mr. Ramanujan

What have you against my pseudonym 'silverfox'? Why do you think it is [FONT=&quot]- to use your words - "what a pathetic name"?
It is very amusing that you find my pen-name as pathetic!!
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back