• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmins and Jews

Status
Not open for further replies.
dear Prof Sangom , if i leave all the technical terms u have used and say spirituality is a type of emotion - that oneness of inclusive consciouness what would u say?

also i dont agree that AGE has got anything to do with ones perception/experience of spiriturality.

I agree with your position. Age has got nothing with spirituality. I also agree that it is an emotion, just like other emotions can not be explained for others to feel it, and they can not feel it like you do.

Last edited:
Dear Shri Nara,

The concept of nirguna brahman without attributes and only pure consciousness I think is the logically correct one. We know that nirguna brahman is the ultimate reality. But since it transcends space and time it cannot be said to possess features that are characteristic when something exists in space and time. Thus attributes which you are talking of are physical or mental in nature but none of them can be ascribed to nirguna brahman because attributes exist only in those entities that are constrained by space and time.

Dear Shri Nara,

The ultimate reality is nirguna brahman. The reality of the physical world is what Sankara called as the relative reality and this reality is dependent on the ultimate reality and is a projection of it. Maya is something which we associate with the projection of the spiritual as the physical. That is, it is something that projects the non-dual as the dual. Maya itself I think is something that automatically projects itself out of nirguna brahman. It is very difficult to use apt words to describe the above because all the verbs in language imply action but nirguna brahman does not perform any action but still we have to describe certain truths only in terms of the words that we have at our disposal.

I think maya can be said to be the same as saguna brahman which is responsible for creation, protection and destruction of the physical reality. Maya is required because the above 3 concepts need to be seen as distinct in the physical reality for it to operate the way it does.

....I think maya can be said to be the same as saguna brahman which is responsible for creation, protection and destruction of the physical reality. Maya is required because the above 3 concepts need to be seen as distinct in the physical reality for it to operate the way it does.
Dear sravna, I like your earnestness, but I am afraid we are talking past each other. Thanks anyway ....

dear Prof Sangom , if i leave all the technical terms u have used and say spirituality is a type of emotion - that oneness of inclusive consciouness what would u say?

also i dont agree that AGE has got anything to do with ones perception/experience of spiriturality.

Shri SANDHYAV;207461,

I did not say that "spirituality" is age-dependent. I wrote about age because as age advances one's views about what constitutes spirituality may undergo change. In fact, I do not at all believe that there is something called spirituality in the sense in which Shri Sravna looks at it (viz., spirituality is inversely proportional to the distance between a person and the Nirguna Parabrahman). But for discussion's sake I wrote as if I am on the same wavelength as Shri Sravna.

According to me all people (and all living creatures, as per common understanding) have the power or energy called "Life" in each of them. It is this life-giving power which possibly advaita referred to as the Nirguna Parabrahmam. No living creature can know or experience this life-giving power, however hard one tries, and whatever methods one employs. All are equidistant from this life giving power or brahman. In this sense all living creatures have the same level of "spirituality" as per Sravna's definition.

Some people get into a trance-like stage on certain already known occasions; these are mere psychological aberrations and nothing more. But certain superstitious beliefs have come to be held among believers that such "trance" stage denotes possession of that individual by some divine being like Amman, Sastha, etc. But imo these are just superstitions only.

There is also a general practice to look upon people who put on outwardly, a highly religious cloak - by giving pravachanams, doing bhajans, quoting from sanskrit/tamil scriptural sources profusely, wearing outwardly religious symbols like venneer/thirumann, rudraksham/tulasi mani neck chains, wearing panchakaccham and angavastram, etc. -as very highly spiritual people. I do not agree with this view either. In short, there is nothing called a "measurable" spirituality and neither is it an emotion or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back