• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahma Temple Pusher

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

According to the Hindu scripture Padma Purana, Brahma saw the demon Vajranabha (Vajranash in another version) trying to kill his children and harassing people. He immediately slew the demon with his weapon, the lotus-flower. In this process, the lotus petals fell on the ground at three places, creating three lakes: the Pushkar Lake or Jyeshta Pushkar (greatest or first Pushkar), the Madya Pushkar (middle Pushkar) Lake, and Kanishta Pushkar (lowest or youngest Pushkar) lake. When Brahma came down to the earth, he named the place where the flower ("pushpa") fell from Brahma's hand ("kar") as "Pushkar".

Brahma then decided to perform a yajna (fire-sacrifice) at the main Pushkar Lake. To perform his yajna peacefully without being attacked by the demons, he created the hills around the Pushkar — Ratnagiri in the south, Nilgiri in the north, Sanchoora in the west and Suryagiri in the east — and positioned gods there to protect the yajna performance. However, while performing the yajna, his wife Savitri (or Sarasvati in some versions) could not be present at the designated time to perform the essential part of the yajna as she was waiting for her companion goddesses Lakshmi, Parvati and Indrani. Annoyed, Brahma requested god Indra (the king of heaven) to find a suitable girl for him to wed to complete the yajna.

Indra could find only a Gujar's daughter (in some legends, a milkmaid) who was sanctified by passing her through the body of a cow. Gods Vishnu, Shiva and the priests certified her purity; it was her second birth and she was named Gayatri. Brahma then married Gayatri and completed the yajna with his new consort sitting beside him, holding the pot of amrita (elixir of life) on her head and giving ahuti (offering to the sacrificial fire).

When Savitri finally arrived at the venue she found Gayatri sitting next to Brahma which was her rightful place. Agitated, she cursed Brahma that he would be never worshipped, but then reduced the curse permitting his worship in Pushkar. Savitri also cursed Indra to be easily defeated in battles, Vishnu to suffer the separation from his wife as a human, the fire-god Agni who was offered the yajna to be all-devouring and the priests officiating the yajna to be poor. Endowed by the powers of yajna, Gayatri diluted Savitri's curse, blessing Pushkar to be the king of pilgrimages, Indra would always retain his heaven, Vishnu would be born as the human Rama and finally unite with his consort and the priests would become scholars and be venerated. Thus, the Pushkar temple is regarded the only temple dedicated to Brahma. Savitri, thereafter, moved into the Ratnagiri hill and became a part of it by emerging as a spring known as the Savitri Jharna (stream); a temple in her honour exists here.

We went to see the Temple. I visit temple as a tourist. I do lack faith in moorty pooja. I was disappointed with the story. It did not show anyone of these Gods in good light. When I explained this story to my daughter who did not accompany us , she was not at all impressed. Why do we create such stories?

Indra could find only a Gujar's daughter (in some legends, a milkmaid) who was sanctified by passing her through the body of a cow.

LOL! you means to say that a cow is considered higher that humans?

I always thought that human life is considered a blessing after going tru many lives of different life forms.

This is what I fail to understand in our scriptures why certain humans are given such low status that even an animal is considered purer than them...not that I have anything against animals but its humans that come with a full thinking capacity.

Like sometime back I read in some website(i dont want to mention the name of the person who said this cos this person is revered very highly by many people).

Ok he said that if an outcaste enters a home of a Brahmin..all cooked food need to be thrown away and all earthen pots need to be thrown away and the house and metal untensils needs to be cleaned with cow dung and water and if possible bring a cow thru the house.

I was thinking "what?? an animal excreta is purer than a human being?"

I was wondering "is the outcaste radioactive?? that such measures need to be undertaken?"

I wonder why no one thought of a "Dosimeter"..that might be able to measure the so called unfavourable radiation emitted by those considered impure!LOL

Last edited:
If our so called gods have human emotions, and succumb to same vagaries as a human being or animals, why should we worship them, and build temples for them? If we can have temple for this Brahma or Savitri, why not a temple for Amitab, jaylalitha, or superman?

I believe in Brahman and the advaita philosophy, I believe in Kabir Panth, I am having difficulty in believing in puranic stories.

These gods (of puranas and vedic) are demigods at best. I am deliberately writing with a lower case (god) and not an uppercase God.

Last edited:
......... If we can have temple for this Brahma or Savitri, why not a temple for Amitab, jaylalitha, or superman? .........
Dear Prasad Sir,

I thought that you know that three of the Tamil cinema actresses are considered equal to Goddesses!

Please read this:

Previously, Kushboo and Namitha were also given the temple status for their mind blowing skin show display. Kushboo’s temple was

destroyed due to her derogatory statements on young women and premarital sex. Namitha will be worshiped soon as a actress goddess

soon and Nayantara will join her next year.

Source: Nayan gets a temple this time

Prasadji, Renuka:

I too am not a blind admirer of any scripture, especially re. the position of women who were (according to the above story given by Shri Prasad) considered below cows! And what makes me really mad is when people whitewash things and say in ancient times women were equal to men, when quite clearly they were not! Sita was considered the epitome of womanhood and loyalty, but was unceremoniously thrown out by Rama just on the words of a dhobi. I know I can't view this literally or logically, and people say that he did this for the sake of the kingdom. But PLEASE let's not say women were worshipped as devis and treated as equals when quite clearly they were not.
In fact, we have a very ambiguous attitude towards women, where at the one extent they are worshipped as the most powerful of Goddesses, and at the other considered lower than animals.
Raji- yes, i too heard about the temple to Khushboo! :).

Dear Padders ji,

Exactly!

This is what I totally dislike about some of the stories in our culture.

Even Lord Rama's episode..I dont see any logical reason why he should abandon a pregnant Seeta..

You see the Kingdom did not really matter for Lord Rama to start with..the fact that Lord Rama was willing to hand it over the Bharata all for the sake for Dasaratha not to lose face!

So you see in this case..if the some Dhobi guy felt that Seeta was not fit to be queen..so Lord Rama could have done this:

1)Taken a vote to see how many people in the Kingdom felt that way..if majority wanted her to stay then she stays..if the majority wanted her to leave then Lord Rama should have handed the Kingdom over to one of his brothers and left with Seeta and lived with her.

After all Lakshmana would have been a worthy King too and the Kingdom would have been in safe and righteous hands.

So you see...the Indian mind is like this:

Only own blood matters..father,mother,mama,machan!

Wife is always considered an outsider..so she does not really matter.

I agree with you Padders that whitewashing is done by lying that woman had equal status as men and are treated like Devis etc....thats a blatant lie..for all the Satyam Vada Dharmam Cara..all we see is a bunch of lies and some glorification to cover up the tracks of the liars.

What happened to all those "protectors of Hinduism"? Why are they silent on this topic?

What happened to all those "protectors of Hinduism"? Why are they silent on this topic?

Dear Prasad ji,

You see right now we are the "Bad guys"..we need to be given time to cause decline in Dharma..after an Adharmic Earthquake of Richter 10..only then some "protector"might incarnate.

So let us cause some more damage before the next incarnation comes and wipes us out!Ha Ha Ha

Renuka:

You said it for what it is!
Don't get me wrong- I love the old stories and our myths and legends. They may have symbolic value But what I do object to is when (on this forum and elsewhere too) people quote the old legends as an example of liberty or equality of women.
Even in this story, Brahma conveniently married someone else because his consort was busy!
I think other religions too consider women to have an inferior status (Eve the temptress) but no one pretends that it is anything but what it is! In any case, we are no better than any of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back