• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Bought and donated

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Siddhivinayak_auction_gold_295.jpg

He bought gold for 10 lakhs at temple auction, then returned it

Mrs. VR,
I do not know him, I do not know his wealth. I did not do it, I did not even think of it.
My hats off to his generosity. I do not go looking for his motivation. I am pretty sure it made him feel good.

நல்லாறு எனினும் கொளல்தீது மேலுலகம்
இல்லெனினும் ஈதலே நன்று.

பிறரிடமிருந்து நல்வழியில் பொருளைப் பெற்றாலும் அது பெருமையல்ல; சிறுமையே ஆகும். கொடை வழங்குவதால் மேலுலகம் என்று சொல்லப்படுவது கிட்டிவிடப் போவதில்லை; எனினும் பிறர்க்குக் கொடுத்து வாழ்வதே சிறந்த வாழ்க்கையாகும்.

To beg is evil, even though it were said that it is a good path. To give is good, even though it were said that those who do so cannot obtain heaven.

Reverse of this is common among many. Many villagers donate, cow or calf to the temple and buy it back in auction. Many give sarees to the deities and buy them back.

As a diversion, I understand, wedding couples in UK/US circulate lists of items they want as presents to ensure that they don't get cartons of champagne from guests.

There is a facility called wedding registry.

The people who plan to marry give the list of articles they would like to get as gifts and the price of each item is quoted by the shop.

Those who who want to give a gift can see the list of articles and their costs and decide on the item they want to present.

I have heard that even fancy cars have been thus gifted - by each person paying for a part of the car!

In any case they do not end up with half a dozen tiffin-carriers, a dozen S.S. dubbas, 10 wall clocks and 8 torch lights as wedding gift - recycled and ready for the next round of recycling!

Reverse of this is common among many. Many villagers donate, cow or calf to the temple and buy it back in auction. Many give sarees to the deities and buy them back.

As a diversion, I understand, wedding couples in UK/US circulate lists of items they want as presents to ensure that they don't get cartons of champagne from guests.

Dear Mr. Prasad,
I am NOT doubting the sincerity of that great man but I was just commenting on the mentality of the general public. If he had just dropped the same amount in the hundi or made it as a a donation, it would not have been publicized so much!

Mrs. VR,
I do not know him, I do not know his wealth. I did not do it, I did not even think of it.
My hats off to his generosity. I do not go looking for his motivation. I am pretty sure it made him feel good.

In today's newspaper there is an article about this. The person is devottee of Lord Ganapathi and he bought these items in an auction at Siddhivinayak temple in Mumbai. Temple authorities fix the basic price based on the current price of gold with a mark up of 10%. This gentleman bought these items in this auction. His belief is if he gives Re 1 to Lord Ganapathi he will get Rs. 10 back. Every Tuesday he walks to the temple from his residence.

As some other members have mentioned, if he simply put the entire money in the Hundi, that might not have been a news. Neverthless, this a good cause and let us appreciate this wholeheartedly.

Regards

Venkat

There is a facility called wedding registry.

In any case they do not end up with half a dozen tiffin-carriers, a dozen S.S. dubbas, 10 wall clocks and 8 torch lights as wedding gift - recycled and ready for the next round of recycling!

LOL LOL LOL, and you did not mention show pieces of crazy types which one dare not put on display, or serving plates.

although its been ages since i saw SS patrams being gifted. yes wall clocks are a specility tho.

From what you say it looks like a good

tenfold investment for the future also!:popcorn:

Ore kallil irandu (moondru?) maangaai! :peace:

In today's newspaper there is an article about this. The person is devottee of Lord Ganapathi and he bought these items in an auction at Siddhivinayak temple in Mumbai. Temple authorities fix the basic price based on the current price of gold with a mark up of 10%. This gentleman bought these items in this auction. His belief is if he gives Re 1 to Lord Ganapathi he will get Rs. 10 back. Every Tuesday he walks to the temple from his residence.

As some other members have mentioned, if he simply put the entire money in the Hundi, that might not have been a news. Neverthless, this a good cause and let us appreciate this wholeheartedly.

Regards

Venkat

Last edited:
Persons who are open are better than the secretive types. Even the kings documented what they gave to the temples in manuscripts or kalvettus. The thiruvanandapuram temple vaults are said to contain lakhs of manuscripts with details of the donated ornaments.

Mukesh ambani has donated crores to tirupathi temple and to vaishnavite institutions in tamilnadu.

Who knows, karunanidhi and raja may be dropping huge amounts in the temple hundis. Recently our home minister (self proclaimed atheist) visited guruvayur temple with and kept the local congress and police in the dark about the visit.

yes, why this publicity Di, if he actualy wanted to donate

Last edited:
It should be both interesting and surprising to compare the

original list with the one which is being prepared now!

Persons who are open are better than the secretive types. Even the kings documented what they gave to the temples in manuscripts or kalvettus. The thiruvanandapuram temple vaults are said to contain lakhs of manuscripts with details of the donated ornaments.

Mukesh ambani has donated crores to tirupathi temple and to vaishnavite institutions in tamilnadu.

Who knows, karunanidhi and raja may be dropping huge amounts in the temple hundis. Recently our home minister (self proclaimed atheist) visited guruvayur temple with and kept the local congress and police in the dark about the visit.

Interesting no doubt, but original will always under a cloud. New one will get all the light and exposure. We do not skilled hands to decipher the original. And of course, the safe argument - they are so delicate that even exposing them to a few lumens will wipe the data out!

It should be both interesting and surprising to compare the

original list with the one which is being prepared now!

Real DARK secrets they were, they are :cool:

and they will continue to remain then! :)

Interesting no doubt, but original will always under a cloud. New one will get all the light and exposure. We do not skilled hands to decipher the original. And of course, the safe argument - they are so delicate that even exposing them to a few lumens will wipe the data out!

Topical, Coincidence:

In a mini place of worship in TTK road, chennai:

"
It recorded the donation of this property in 1822 to the Tiruvanmiyur Marundeeswarar Temple, by one Pachaiyappan, son of Kathavarayan, residing at 1/4, Bazar Road, Royapettah. It stipulated that the rental income be used for celebrating pradosham at the temple. It expresses the hope that the trustees of the temple would fulfil the donor’s wishes, failing which the latter cursed them to suffer eternal damnation."

Kapaleeshwarar temple, chennai

The one on the right records the donation of a Saidapet coconut grove in 1896 worth Rs 2,500 by Arumuga Mudaliar of Rakkiappa Mudali Street, for the celebration of the first day of the temple’s annual festival. He has also recorded his gift of a house on Nattu Subbaraya Mudali Street, meant to cover the cost of preparing a rice dish every day for the late-night worship.The stone on the other side speaks of Ammayi Ammal’s gift of a house on Muthugramani Street in 1918 for the observance of the second day’s festivities. She also records her offering of a necklace and a gem-studded pendant.

All the stones record in great detail the location of the properties, sometimes even stating what borders them on each side, rather like a modern survey document.

The Hindu : Cities / Chennai : Hidden Histories: How charity in stone turns into a shrine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back