• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Blog article: A tamil brahmin in Bangalore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Shri KRS,

It is my understanding that rules of this site do not permit disrespectful comments about public figures who are revered by many as that would hurt their sentiments. For example, Sathya Saibaba and Jayendra Saraswati Swamigal, both are highly revered and both are controversial figures, yet personally derisive comments about them are not permitted here. If this is not correct please set me right.

In this context I would like to know where personally denigrating and offensive statements about EVR stand. Yes, EVR was a controversial man, much hated by the Brahmins. But he is much respected and even revered by an overwhelming majority of Tamil people, of whom TBs are one part.

Any discussion of social reform in India will include EVR at the very top. I myself find EVR to be a peerless reformer in Tamilnadu, much to be appreciated, and I daresay I am not alone among the members here who have such respect for EVR -- may not be many, but surely some.

Personally I have no problem with any of the cat calls against EVR. All I am interested in is a uniform code for all to follow. I would like to have the same leeway and be able to express the kind of comments being expressed about EVR the person, about those whom I consider to be deserving of the same, if not higher, level of harsh name-calling.

Please give your ruling.

Thank you ...

May be I am exceeding my role as an ordinary member. But I will say criticisms based on facts and evidence in "civilized" language must be allowed about any one, even the god concept. But it should not be turned into a licence for baseless allegations, especially if the language is perverse.

Folks,
Mr. Nara has raised a point and my views are given below the quotes.

It is my understanding that rules of this site do not permit disrespectful comments about public figures who are revered by many as that would hurt their sentiments. For example, Sathya Saibaba and Jayendra Saraswati Swamigal, both are highly revered and both are controversial figures, yet personally derisive comments about them are not permitted here. If this is not correct please set me right.

To this list I can add the names of at least a few thousand Indians who are controversial and non-controversial and thereby apply a veto on the right of other members to comment about them. The moment someone writes down here a comment about some one I can but in and cry foul and apply the veto if such a veto as is recommended here is available to the members. If what is suggested in the paragraphs following the preamble is accepted it would amount to a veto in the hands of every one here. I would request the moderator to carefully consider the import of this request from the honourable member before acceding to it.

In this context I would like to know where personally denigrating and offensive statements about EVR stand. Yes, EVR was a controversial man, much hated by the Brahmins.

What has been stated against periyar here are all facts and any one who reads the history can get this and more damaging info about him from the history books. There is no lie in any of the statements made here. If there is any let it be proved.This being the case where is the scope for calling these statements denigration, offensive etc? if telling facts is denigrating, being offensive etc., be it. This forum can live with that instead of converting itself into discussing only inane matters in a bhajan mandali format. By the same standard one will be objected to if he calls Hitler a barbarian, Gengizkhan a pervert etc., etc.

But he is much respected and even revered by an overwhelming majority of Tamil people, of whom TBs are one part.

Overwhelming majority of tamils do not respect or rever periyar as claimed in this post here. In the districts outside the kaveri delta he is little known for his views. He was a big nuisance in only the Trichy and Tanjore districts of Tamilnadu. He was kicked up the ladder of prominence only after DMK came to power riding on the back of anti-hindi agitation and for obvious reasons.The claim about his demigod status here needs validation.

Any discussion of social reform in India will include EVR at the very top. I myself find EVR to be a peerless reformer in Tamilnadu, much to be appreciated, and I daresay I am not alone among the members here who have such respect for EVR -- may not be many, but surely some.

Those who know the dynamics of the castes of Tamilnadu well will never speak about social reforms and periyar in the same breath. To call him a peerless reformer is a manifestation of hero worship rather than a rational, discerning assessment of him.

Personally I have no problem with any of the cat calls against EVR. All I am interested in is a uniform code for all to follow. I would like to have the same leeway and be able to express the kind of comments being expressed about EVR the person, about those whom I consider to be deserving of the same, if not higher, level of harsh name-calling.

Cat calls or rat calls - the origin of this appeal to the moderator is quite obvious. Yes we can have a uniform code - there is no problem with that. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. ultimately, when you are critical about somebody and if that somebody is really an icon as is claimed here,the number of posts you get from the offended members should determine the status of the appeal. One can denigrate the God, Jayendra Saraswati, Saibaba et al but when he gets opposing/disapproving inputs from the members of the forum that will determine his rights to retain the offending posts.

And finally this is not Periyar EVR forum. This is Tamilbrahmins forum.Here criticism of not only brahmins but also Periyar is certainly welcome. It can not be an offence just because he is an icon for some one. When some one writes a book and calls Mahatma Gandhi a gay in that book, how should we react to it? If members can express their views to this question it will be revealing as to how this request from Mr Nara should be treated. I am very keen to know what mr Nara thinks about that book. I am sure he would have read it.

Please give your ruling.

Yes please.

Last edited:
Dear HH,
I am not inclined to enter into a detailed discussion on the points you have put down because my views on this subject is already well known and I have yet to come across any reason to change those views. But I would like to add just a comment or two to your post here.

Am not a fan of EVR. Am well aware of his ways of an eye for an eye. I dislike his language and some of his advices. However, i refuse to accept that he was anti-dalit. Before things began spinning out of control, the orthodoxy could have called him for talks, to discuss the prevailing social conditions and come to some compromise before things got totally out of hand. In this, i feel the orthodoxy needs to take some part of the blame.
I take it that you are referring to brahmins by the term orthodoxy. Dont you see the point in their refusal? They refused to enter into any negotiations with him because what he was aiming at was a conspiracy for which he wanted the cooperation of brahmins. Brahmins had other ideas about how to go about social reforms. They had already made a beginning with the reservation for the dalits right in the constitution of India. If you look a little more deeper into his background and his history you would understand what he was aiming at. Brahmins did not want to be seen as partners/participants in a conspiracy to empower powerful/numerically superior/landowning middle castes at the expense of the dalits.

Not once did EVR consider himself an upper-caste nor did he associate with people based on caste. Whoever associated with him, he associated with them

I dont think it was such a simple thought process that was at work.

Btw, the yadavs were never a high caste (i cannot think of anyone who has ever given his dudhwala / paalkaran a second glance or ever considered him an 'upper-caste' guy).

The doodhwala/yaadav considered himself notches above the panchaman in the caste totem pole and treated panchaman as untouchable are the points that is relevant to our discussion here and you have skipped them.

EVR('s) ............. speeches are certainly dislikable..there cud have been much better ways to bring about a social revolution...

I agree

Cheers.

Last edited:
i am quite sure that you did not mean that sangom's posts are 'long and boring'. i for one, thoroughly enjoy every word he writes, and i only wish it would be more.

i think personally that the virtues of brevity is overestimated. i think it is better to adda sentence or two, to be more thoroughly clear in your viewpoint,than a succint two word answer which can bend both ways. unless ofcourse you intend it to be such.

also sir, we have unique expereinces in life, which reflects in our attitudes. with much humilty but with great interest, i request you to pen your life experiences. for there is no ohter person on this earth who has had your experiences, and sharing some of the same, would only be a cause of enrichment for your fellow tambrammers. :)

so, here i am waiting, waiting............. and waiting

Dear Mr. Kunjuppu,

My God!! I never imagined that so much can be read into the post made by me. Sangom asked me in a jovial way ( I am sure Sangom sir will agree with this ) whether it is a threat and I answered with the same spirit that I will not make my post long and boring. The idea, frankly, was to tell him that he need not feel threatened by the prospect of receiving a long and boring post from me. The sentiments expressed by you in the rest of your input are all reciprocated warmly. Please do not address me as Sir as I am much younger and prefer to be addressed just as Raju. Even a Mr. is redundant.When I come here to participate in any discussion I leave my ego in a coat hanger at the entrance in my house.

And this reminds me of a neighbour of me in Adyar here. When I first moved into this area no body warned me about him. So when I met him in the car park area I asked him என்ன சார் சௌக்கியமா? And you know what was the reply? நான் சௌக்கியமானா என்ன சௌக்கியம் இல்லைன்னா என்ன ? நீங்கள் என்ன பண்ண போறீங்க? I was clean bowled . I wanted to retrieve my self and said சரி சரி ஆளை விடுங்க சார். நான் கேட்டிருக்ககூடாது தப்புதான் மன்னிச்சுக்குங்க. But then he did not leave me at that and added உங்கள நான் என்ன விடறது. விடாம புடிச்சுட்டா இருக்கேன் விடறதுக்கு? I started my car without a word more and stood on the throttle.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Dear HH,
I am not inclined to enter into a detailed discussion on the points you have put down because my views on this subject is already well known and I have yet to come across any reason to change those views. But I would like to add just a comment or two to your post here.

I take it that you are referring to brahmins by the term orthodoxy. Dont you see the point in their refusal? They refused to enter into any negotiations with him because what he was aiming at was a conspiracy for which he wanted the cooperation of brahmins. Brahmins had other ideas about how to go about social reforms. They had already made a beginning with the reservation for the dalits right in the constitution of India. If you look a little more deeper into his background and his history you would understand what he was aiming at. Brahmins did not want to be seen as partners/participants in a conspiracy to empower powerful/numerically superior/landowning middle castes at the expense of the dalits.

I dont think it was such a simple thought process that was at work.

The doodhwala/yaadav considered himself notches above the panchaman in the caste totem pole and treated panchaman as untouchable are the points that is relevant to our discussion here and you have skipped them.

I agree

Cheers.
Dear Raju,

I find that you tend to pick parts and selectively skip some questions. So i request you to please answer this:

Please let me know what you wud do if you were denied food on the basis of caste and had to compete with dogs to eat leftovers out of sheer hunger and lack of money.

Why did the caste-demon become so important in the indian social ethos? Before you reply to this question, i hope you have read this post: http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/genera...icle-tamil-brahmin-bangalore-6.html#post75310 Undoubtedly caste is "class" (varna is jaati no matter how much anyone obfuscates) and the "class" concept is far too closely linked with the violent history of inter-kingdom warfare of the sub-continent.

Raju, am all in agreement that there could have been a better way to bring about social revolution; and what EVR did was wrong.

But i would like to set the record straight reg a few things that you have stated, which are completely wrong.

1) You say EVR was anti-dalit. Please let me know your basis for saying that. Even before he led dalits into the Vaikom temple, dalits thronged EVR's public speeches in droves, EVR was undoubtedly their hero. He was the one who "created" caste-reservations for them. Yet a tiny miniscule amongst brahmins repeatedly want to claim that he was anti-dalit.

2) You said EVR "was given to licentious ways of life in his younger age". On what basis do you allege that? You should be aware that there are elderly people still alive, who completely disagree with his ways, his atheism, consider him a conundrum, and yet will vouchsafe for the fact that he was morally very upright. Moreover EVR was already in love with a girl within his own family whom he married at the age of 19. There are no indications that he was experimental with sex (like Gandhiji), or spoke rubbish, or tried to break social-norms in this regard until he came back from Kashi.

I find false stories created and circulated on the net on EVR; and so much is the brahmin hatered for EVR that one forum (sysindia) was even hacked with a hate-message. One guy on hindudharmaforums claimed that Rajaji asked EVR to sit seperately while eating and he was stung due to that and some other "similar incidents", and that was "enough to blow his top" and thus his diatribe against brahmins started. But well, no matter what anyone tries to propagate, it remains a fact that EVR is a symbol of dalit upliftment, and will be remembered for being the man who broke all concepts of "caste". And Tamilnadu seems to be faring well enough without people who think on lines of brahmin greatness.

I wish to reproduce this para from you again. I hope readers will read it a few times and come to their own conclusions (BTW, its completely wrong that brahmins had made reservations for dalits):

Regards.

Last edited:
Dear HH,

I agree

Cheers.
Dear Raju,

I request you to please answer this question i had asked in my previous post to you:

Please let me know what you wud do if you were denied food on the basis of caste and had to compete with dogs to eat leftovers out of sheer hunger and lack of money.

Why did the caste-demon become so important in the indian social ethos? Before you reply to this question, i hope you have read this post: http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/genera...icle-tamil-brahmin-bangalore-6.html#post75310 Undoubtedly caste is "class" (varna is jaati no matter how much anyone obfuscates) and the "class" concept is far too closely linked with the violent history of inter-kingdom warfare of the sub-continent.

Raju, am all in agreement that there could have been a better way to bring about social revolution; and what EVR did was wrong.

But i would like to set the record straight reg a few things that you have stated, which are completely wrong.

1) You say EVR was anti-dalit. There is no basis for saying that. Even before he led dalits into the Vaikom temple, dalits thronged EVR's public speeches in droves, EVR was undoubtedly their hero. He was the one who "created" caste-reservations for them. Yet a tiny miniscule amongst brahmins repeatedly claim that he was anti-dalit.

2) You said EVR "was given to licentious ways of life in his younger age". This is a mere allegation without basis. You should be aware that there are elderly people still alive, who completely disagree with his ways, his atheism, consider him a conundrum (am using decent words), and yet will vouchsafe for the fact that he was morally very upright. EVR was already in love with a girl within his own family whom he married at the age of 19. There are no indications that he was experimental with sex (like Gandhiji), or spoke rubbish, or tried to break social-norms in this regard until he came back from Kashi. After he came back from Kashi he preached total non-sensical things but he remained morally straight himself (there are no indications that he was licentious).

I find false stories created and circulated on the net on EVR; and so much is the hatered for EVR by one section of brahmins, that one forum (sysindia) was even hacked with a hate-message.

Another falsified story is from one guy on hindudharmaforums who claimed that Rajaji asked EVR to sit seperately while eating so he was stung due to that and some other "similar incidents"; and that was "enough to blow his top" and thus EVR's diatribe against brahmins started. There is no evidence that Rajaji ever asked EVR to sit seperately. If that were true, the JP / DK would have made a big issue out of that also, and made it known to everyone.

Well, no matter what anyone tries to propagate, it remains a fact that EVR is consdiered a symbol of dalit upliftment, and will be remembered for being the man who broke all concepts of "caste".

I wish to reproduce this para from you again. I hope readers will read it a few times and come to their own conclusions (BTW, its completely wrong that brahmins had made reservations for dalits; and it is my opinion that you created this "conspiracy" idea below, out of thin air):

Regards.

Last edited:
I just saw Professor Nara Ji's and Sri suraju06 Ji's postings asking for Moderation. Please, in the future, send these types of requests via PM, as I feel that these things unnecessarily raise passions and divide the Forum.

Having said that, the guidelines are simple. Anything can be discussed as long as it is verified and not just allegations and what is posted is within the bounds of decency and the Forum guidelines. Given our community's history and background, let us be extra careful when posting about our Gurus and Godmen.

If anyone can point out any offensive statements that are vulgar and not true, I will edit them out. Again, use the PM, please.

Regards,
KRS

Two points regarding EVR which I remember having read, but will request others to say whether true or not:

1. EVR was a staunch supporter of the Rajaji clique in the then Madras Congress and supported most of Rajaji's moves till he realised that everything that they did was to ensure the hegemony of brahmans in both government employments as also the congress leadership.

2. EVR did not want Maniyammai to be left destitute after his death, because he did not trust that his followers would look after her. He met Rajai, who was traveling to some other place, in the railway station and sought Rajaji's legal advice as to how this can be ensured by will or something like that. Rajai told him that all such things can be questioned in courts of law and would only add to Maniyammai's troubles and suggested, "why don't you marry her? That will be the safest legal course." That was how EVR decided to marry Maniyammai.

Dear Raju,

I request you to please answer this question i had asked in my previous post to you:

1) You say EVR was anti-dalit. There is no basis for saying that. Even before he led dalits into the Vaikom temple, dalits thronged EVR's public speeches in droves, EVR was undoubtedly their hero. He was the one who "created" caste-reservations for them. Yet a tiny miniscule amongst brahmins repeatedly claim that he was anti-dalit.

2) You said EVR "was given to licentious ways of life in his younger age". This is a mere allegation without basis. You should be aware that there are elderly people still alive, who completely disagree with his ways, his atheism, consider him a conundrum (am using decent words), and yet will vouchsafe for the fact that he was morally very upright. EVR was already in love with a girl within his own family whom he married at the age of 19. There are no indications that he was experimental with sex (like Gandhiji), or spoke rubbish, or tried to break social-norms in this regard until he came back from Kashi. After he came back from Kashi he preached total non-sensical things but he remained morally straight himself (there are no indications that he was licentious).

I find false stories created and circulated on the net on EVR; and so much is the hatered for EVR by one section of brahmins, that one forum (sysindia) was even hacked with a hate-message.

Another falsified story is from one guy on hindudharmaforums who claimed that Rajaji asked EVR to sit seperately while eating so he was stung due to that and some other "similar incidents"; and that was "enough to blow his top" and thus EVR's diatribe against brahmins started. There is no evidence that Rajaji ever asked EVR to sit seperately. If that were true, the JP / DK would have made a big issue out of that also, and made it known to everyone.

Well, no matter what anyone tries to propagate, it remains a fact that EVR is consdiered a symbol of dalit upliftment, and will be remembered for being the man who broke all concepts of "caste".

I wish to reproduce this para from you again. I hope readers will read it a few times and come to their own conclusions (BTW, its completely wrong that brahmins had made reservations for dalits; and it is my opinion that you created this "conspiracy" idea below, out of thin air):

Regards.

Dear HH,

You have made several assumptions and I have this to say about them:

(1)That periyar went through that kind of experience at all at Kashi has to be validated from an independent source.

(2)Your rhetorical question about what I would do if I were denied food when hungry has traces of melodrama about it. Yet I will answer it. I will coolly walk off and get my food elsewhere. If I could find out the individual Panda who treated me badly on the basis of my caste I would certainly question his attitude and give him a good bit of my mind. What I wont do is more important here. I wont conclude that all the pandas in the world (this may include the chinese giant panda also!!)are creatures who are to be liquidated. I wont fill myself up with hatred (the same hatred which that individual panda had for me) towards the entire community of pandas and go about preaching violence against them. Violence and hatred begets violence and hatred in return. I would not have coined that famous insane advice:பாம்பையும் பார்ப்பானையும் கண்டால் பாம்பை விட்டு விடு. பார்ப்பனனை கொன்று விடு. Now you have got my reply. Are you now seeing the point in my reply?

About the other points, I recommend that you please read the auto biography of Maraimalai Adigal. He has written a lot about Periyar. I am not recommending any other source(though I can, because I have done considerable research on this topic)as you would dismiss them all as prejudiced. Maraimalai adigal was a dravidian icon and hence when he calls periyar a hypocrat it will carry some weight with periyar fans.

If you still would like to maintain that periyar was a gem, jolly well do that as it is your right to do that.
Cheers.

Last edited:
sangom,

re periyar and rajaji -The way I understand it, it is indeed a strange relationship.

The DK organ vidhuthalai spared no mean words to describe the shenanigans of aachchaariar, as rajaji was addressed by the Dravidian circles. Rajaji’s rule was continuously criticised by periyar, who was instrumental, among others, to bring down rajaji’s resignation from CM post following the kula thozhil fiasco.

Whatever the apologists for kula thozhil may say here, I think it was a mean and antiquated way of looking at people and work. Just an instance: I myself could type 120 words a minute and wanted to learn short hand out of interest. My uncle quickly put a stop to it, the argument being that once with these skills, you start making money, and studies become secondary. I doubt whether there would be today’s dalit doctors or engineers, atleast in the numbers if kula thozhil had become a reality.

It is true that periyar attended rajaji’s funeral and was there right throughout, instead of the usual visiting, which was done by most politicians. On seeing that photo, what came to my mind then, bizarre as it sounds, was that periyar was indeed ensuring that rajaji’s death was no mistake, and he was taking care to consign this man to ashes before he had a ‘miraculous’ rebirth.

You do not hear much of rajaji periyar friendship in Dravidian circles. It is only the Brahmins that appear to be obsessed by it. Periyar’s goal was crystal clear – to ring the death knell of brahminism in tamil nadu and he succeeded.

Much has been said of rajaji’s advice to periyar to marry maniammai, who was a Brahmin widow in the first place. As any decent lawyer rajaji would have given advice, and periyar (& DK) had a healthy respect for the tambram’s professional skills. Anyway maniammai died without issues or relatives, and I suspect, that periyar’s will listed veeramani as next in line. Veeramani ofcourse is enjoying the fruits of periyar’s wealth.

Recently he tried to prevent a rival group ‘periyar dravida kazhagam’ from publishing excerpts of periyar’s works. The supreme court ruled in favour of the rival group, with the message, that the ideas of periyar belong to the public and not one single individual or organization.

Tamil nadu, under MK, is the first state in india to nationalize the works of famous poets and authors – many of them Brahmins.what this means, is that in manymany cases, the descendents, who now get zero royalty for the works, get a handsome lumpsum, as many of these including the widow of my favourite, naa parthasarathy, was destitute.

Whatever the general opinion of MK is, here in this forum, the man has many good qualities. Just yesterday, he gave the cricket player Ashwin 1 crore for just being present in the winning cricket world cup team. Vishwanathan anand too has received, I think 1 or 2 crores for winning the grand master. both these are tambrams to the core.

To sum up the dravidian revolution: the rich tambrams are not at all affected, infact profited from the Dravidian reformation. most most of the middle class prospered in indirect ways. The poorer Brahmins, those ardent supporters of kanchi mutt and who look upto their richer brethren for approval and in return get only disdain, lost their shirt, and more importantly, a sense of hope. That is my take.

ps. sometimes, me thinks, that MK has continued his anti brahmin tirade for so long, that today he simply cannot even come to a neutral 'dont bother' stance, for fear of losing faith among the ardent followers. oonce upon a time it was a famous rallying cry, but today comments about 'mount road mahavishnu' aka the hindu, would seem hypocritical, when his own daughter inlaw comes from that family. :)

Last edited:
Dear HH,

You have made several assumptions and I have this to say about them:

(1)That periyar went through that kind of experience at all at Kashi has to be validated from an independent source.
Anyone who goes to Kashi even today can write reams on brahmins there, who till date treat (or in present circumstances "try to treat") widows, low-castes, out-castes badly, and play hegemony.

(2)Your rhetorical question about what I would do if I were denied food when hungry has traces of melodrama about it. Yet I will answer it. I will coolly walk off and get my food elsewhere. If I could find out the individual Panda who treated me badly on the basis of my caste I would certainly question his attitude and give him a good bit of my mind. What I wont do is more important here. I wont conclude that all the pandas in the world (this may include the chinese giant panda also!!)are creatures who are to be liquidated. I wont fill myself up with hatred (the same hatred which that individual panda had for me) towards the entire community of pandas and go about preaching violence against them. Violence and hatred begets violence and hatred in return. I would not have coined that famous insane advice:பாம்பையும் பார்ப்பானையும் கண்டால் பாம்பை விட்டு விடு. பார்ப்பனனை கொன்று விடு. Now you have got my reply. Are you now seeing the point in my reply?
1) If it were me, i would not bother about the "individual panda" who treated me badly because it is obvious that all orthodox pandas even till date are casteists to the core. For that matter, the orthodoxy of madras presidency was really no different in terms of holding similar views on caste-discrimination (except that the local brahmins were not violent, instead the fools who wanted to be "upper-castes" were violent and did the job of maintaining the social status quo based on caste; and some fools still do it).

2) If i were in that place, i would not have attacked the pandas / brahmins back. The question obviously is not the pandas, but their attitude. I would have tried to see from where such ideas of social discirmination were coming. Quite apparently their attitide was stemming from a scriptural basis, so then i would have consistently over time, tried to negotiate over talks with the orthodoxy reg the relevance of the scriptures. I would have enlisted the support of Jains and Buddhists since both are/were Shudras. And as a group we would have tried to settle the issue with the orthodoxy over talks.

But if the orthodoxy had continued to spurn me; and instead specifically named some titles (used by castes who made up the JP) as shudras; and asked everyone to go back to old professions, i would have brought on caste-reservations. Because it wud have become obvious to me by then that the orthodoxy would never let go of caste-discrimination. But I wud have never resorted to physical violence under any circumstance.

3) As far as hatered is concerned, some of our hindu scriptures are far worse than EVR's sayings. People of any belief system which did not subscribe to vedic-sacrifices "tended" to be classed as demonical asuras / dasyus / shudras (a lot has been written historically on how the asuras/dasyus came to become the "shudras", and i suppose it wud be a shocker if we go back in time and try to see which 'communities' come close to being priests of those very asuric practices). And, ironically the 'nagas' did indeed use a snake (naga) as their totem identification.

Anyways, one only has to read thru some of these scriptures to understand the extent of labelling, name-calling, characterizing, demeaning, that the vedic-religion did.

Hatered makes no sense really, so i only wonder if really these people were spiritual as claimed. Plus come to think of it, if one had designated himself a "brahmin" of kshatriya-descent (as a kshatropeta-brahmana) and lived a life waging wars like any typical warrior, what spirituality can he claim to have in himself ?

About the other points, I recommend that you please read the auto biography of Maraimalai Adigal. He has written a lot about Periyar. I am not recommending any other source(though I can, because I have done considerable research on this topic)as you would dismiss them all as prejudiced. Maraimalai adigal was a dravidian icon and hence when he calls periyar a hypocrat it will carry some weight with periyar fans.
Adigal himself preached tamil puritanism or "dravidian-ism" and non-brahmanism. The only place he differed with EVR was on atheism (come to think of it, this is ironic because Adigal was an ardent Shaiva and technically as someone who beleives in "nirguna brahman" he was an atheist, so possibly Adigal was being a hypocrite). This book describes the situation with Adigal (esp do read page 119): http://books.google.com.sg/books?id...=1&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=adigal&f=false

Anyways, since you have made allegations, please produce proof for your allegations, either from Adigal's works or elsewhere, that EVR was (1) anti-dalit; and (2) licentious.

If you still would like to maintain that periyar was a gem, jolly well do that as it is your right to do that.
Cheers.
No sorry i have not in one place maintained that EVR was a gem. On your part, all you need to do is to prove your allegations that EVR was anti-dalit and licentious.

Regards.

Last edited:
It is true that periyar attended rajaji’s funeral and was there right throughout, instead of the usual visiting, which was done by most politicians. On seeing that photo, what came to my mind then, bizarre as it sounds, was that periyar was indeed ensuring that rajaji’s death was no mistake, and he was taking care to consign this man to ashes before he had a ‘miraculous’ rebirth.
Kunjuppu ji, Am not sure why such a thing came to your mind. Any specific reasons?

You do not hear much of rajaji periyar friendship in Dravidian circles. It is only the Brahmins that appear to be obsessed by it. Periyar’s goal was crystal clear – to ring the death knell of brahminism in tamil nadu and he succeeded.
Methinks, the dravidian circles obliterated the rajaji-evr friendship bcoz

1) they wanted to play down everything that a brahmin did.

2) they were angered that EVR married Maniammal a woman half his age and a brahmin; and they held Rajaji responsible for causing / influencing it. CN Annadurai (CNA) already had differences with EVR on the issue of a seperate 'dravidistan'. The wedding of EVR with Maniammal was the last straw on the camel's back. It incenced CNA so much that he broke away from EVR and formed the present day DMK.

I feel influencing the EVR-Maniamma wedding was the only other reason Rajaji was disliked apart from the Kula Kalvi thittam, for which he earned wrath.

Much has been said of rajaji’s advice to periyar to marry maniammai, who was a Brahmin widow in the first place. As any decent lawyer rajaji would have given advice, and periyar (& DK) had a healthy respect for the tambram’s professional skills. Anyway maniammai died without issues or relatives, and I suspect, that periyar’s will listed veeramani as next in line. Veeramani ofcourse is enjoying the fruits of periyar’s wealth.
I cannot say on any other note except for a personal assumption that Rajaji and EVR remained friends throughout life (and thick friends at that). But Sir, your notes intrigue me -- is there any reason why you feel EVR had a healthy respect for the "tambram's" skills? Surely we could just as well assume that EVR followed Rajaji's advice because he had that much trust in Rajaji as a friend. If any other lawyer (tambram lawyer to be precise) had given EVR the same advice, wud EVR have followed him? I suppose that wud be anyone's guess....

[[Personally I do not think EVR wud have accepted any lawyer's advice ( tambram or otherwise). Or being more specific, EVR wud not have accepted suggestions from anyone in the designation/position of a "lawyer". I feel EVR heeded to Rajaji's suggestion because Rajaji was a friend whom he wholeheartedly trusted]].

Regards.

Last edited:
Kunjuppu ji, Am not sure why such a thing came to your mind. Any specific reasons?

happy,

who knows how and why the mind works in a certain way. it was one of those thoughts that came to my mind, and which stayed on forever.

re DK respect for tambram professional skillset, it is still there. all their profressional accountants, lawyers doctors are brahmins i hear. even t.n. government MK has more or less, consistently promoted brahmins (not necessarily tambrams) to key positions which would give him a big bang re achievements and clout.

the prev, current chief secretaries are all brahmins. the current one miss malathi is also i think, the first female chief secretary, though i could be wrong there. all their jobs are on the line if J comes in. letike saran, MK's DGP already transferred by the election commission. the bureaucracy, cannot help but being politicized.

if periyar and rajaji were thick friends indeed, so be it. they are both passe, though periyar would find his name in the history books with the march of time. rajaji may be a foot note if at all that. my take.

happy,

who knows how and why the mind works in a certain way. it was one of those thoughts that came to my mind, and which stayed on forever.

re DK respect for tambram professional skillset, it is still there. all their profressional accountants, lawyers doctors are brahmins i hear. even t.n. government MK has more or less, consistently promoted brahmins (not necessarily tambrams) to key positions which would give him a big bang re achievements and clout.

the prev, current chief secretaries are all brahmins. the current one miss malathi is also i think, the first female chief secretary, though i could be wrong there. all their jobs are on the line if J comes in. letike saran, MK's DGP already transferred by the election commission. the bureaucracy, cannot help but being politicized.

if periyar and rajaji were thick friends indeed, so be it. they are both passe, though periyar would find his name in the history books with the march of time. rajaji may be a foot note if at all that. my take.
Sir, i doubt if EVR had a healthy respect for the tambram's skills or for anyone's skills specifically on the basis of caste. I also doubt if DMK would have promoted any brahmin along the ranks, if they had held on to (or made known publicly) their orthodox-views on caste. We are obviously talking about people who were/are open to integration wrt caste, while possibly being deeply religious/spiritual themselves.

Me too would anyday appreciate a brahmin who is deeply religious / spiritual but does not beleive in social-discrimination (methinks a true brahmin wud never bother about caste, to God everyone is an equal).

Regards.

(1) I also doubt if DMK would have promoted any brahmin along the ranks, if they had held on to (or made known publicly) their orthodox-views on caste. We are obviously talking about people who were/are open to integration wrt caste, while possibly being deeply religious/spiritual themselves.
(2)Me too would anyday appreciate a brahmin who is deeply religious / spiritual but does not beleive in social-discrimination (methinks a true brahmin wud never bother about caste, to God everyone is an equal)

1) We can expect the marriage of the daughter or son of those high ranking officials in TN Govt. with dalits because they have passed the litmus test by periyarist crowd.
2) At the earliest we have to constitute a central authority in TN which will periodically examine every brahmin to determine whether he/she is deeply religious / spiritual but does not beleive in social-discrimination so that a certificate can be issued and he can go about fearlessly wearing his panchagachcham, vibhuti, kumkum and importantly poonool and kudumi.

Last edited:
Dear HH,

Anyone who goes to Kashi even today can write reams on brahmins there, who till date treat (or in present circumstances "try to treat") widows, low-castes, out-castes badly, and play hegemony.

So this is adequate validation for your story. Strange logic indeed.

1) If it were me, i would not bother about the "individual panda" who treated me badly because it is obvious that all orthodox pandas even till date are casteists to the core. For that matter, the orthodoxy of madras presidency was really no different in terms of holding similar views on caste-discrimination (except that the local brahmins were not violent, instead the fools who wanted to be "upper-castes" were violent and did the job of maintaining the social status quo based on caste; and some fools still do it).

You asked me what I would do in a given circumstance. You repeated your question and were insisting on a reply and so I gave it. I did not ask you, for obvious reasons, what you would have done in that circumstance. Any way as you are very keen to tell that, let us take a look at it:

1) If you were so sure about it(they being irredeemable casteists for ever) why should you go and ask for food from him? Was your self esteem so low? Did you need his approval/acceptance so badly?

2) If i were in that place, i would not have attacked the pandas / brahmins back. The question obviously is not the pandas, but their attitude. I would have tried to see from where such ideas of social discirmination were coming. Quite apparently their attitide was stemming from a scriptural basis, so then i would have consistently over time, tried to negotiate over talks with the orthodoxy reg the relevance of the scriptures. I would have enlisted the support of Jains and Buddhists since both are/were Shudras. And as a group we would have tried to settle the issue with the orthodoxy over talks.

This is ok with me as this is what I have also preferred though 'attitude stemming from the scriptural basis' needs elaboration.

But if the orthodoxy had continued to spurn me; and instead specifically named some titles (used by castes who made up the JP) as shudras; and asked everyone to go back to old professions, i would have brought on caste-reservations. Because it wud have become obvious to me by then that the orthodoxy would never let go of caste-discrimination. But I wud have never resorted to physical violence under any circumstance.

"Asked every one to go back to their old profession" perhaps obliquely indicates the Rajaji Government's aborted experiment. Are you aware of the full details of that experiment? Are you aware that there was no compulsion to go full time to the family's traditional occupation abandoning modern education altogether? What was envisaged was only that each student will devote a part( up to 50%) of his time every day in learning the traditional skills from his father/preceptor in addition to going through the class-room learning of modern education. Are you aware of this? And if yes what is wrong with that experiment? Please enlighten me.

3) As far as hatered is concerned, some of our hindu scriptures are far worse than EVR's sayings. People of any belief system which did not subscribe to vedic-sacrifices "tended" to be classed as demonical asuras / dasyus / shudras (a lot has been written historically on how the asuras/dasyus came to become the "shudras", and i suppose it wud be a shocker if we go back in time and try to see which 'communities' come close to being priests of those very asuric practices). And, ironically the 'nagas' did indeed use a snake (naga) as their totem identification.

So spare the snake(naga) and hit the brahmin? I do not get what you are trying to tell in this paragraph. May be the neurons in my grey matter are not firing that fast.Please help me.

Adigal himself preached tamil puritanism or "dravidian-ism" and non-brahmanism. The only place he differed with EVR was on atheism

Dont be so sure. Please read the book that I had referred. You will change your views on this.

(come to think of it, this is ironic because Adigal was an ardent Shaiva and technically as someone who beleives in "nirguna brahman" he was an atheist, so possibly Adigal was being a hypocrite). This book describes the situation with Adigal (esp do read page 119): In those days there was no coffee ... - Google Books

My understanding of Saiva sidhdhanta(which MM Adigal followed) with its origin in TN is that it has nothing to do with the advaitic philosophy and the nirguna brahman concept of Advaitam. And to bring in Atheism also into the picture takes away in one breath all logic from my span of understanding. May be my grey matter is to be blamed again. Please help me.

Anyways, since you have made allegations, please produce proof for your allegations, either from Adigal's works or elsewhere, that EVR was (1) anti-dalit; and (2) licentious.

1)I have not made any allegations. They are statement of facts as available to any one with an open mind.
2)Please go to internet, use any search engine and give the command to search for Periyar EVR and you will get a number of titles. Glean through them patiently and choose the ones which are not by his jalras and there you are with adequate evidence. Any way I have done that several times to prove a point or two to periyarists and found that it was a futile effort to convince any one. So I stop with this and if you have the time and inclination you can search for yourself.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Folks,

What i wrote is in black and what Raju wrote is in blue.

ME: (1) I also doubt if DMK would have promoted any brahmin along the ranks, if they had held on to (or made known publicly) their orthodox-views on caste. We are obviously talking about people who were/are open to integration wrt caste, while possibly being deeply religious/spiritual themselves.
RAJU: 1) We can expect the marriage of the daughter or son of those high ranking officials in TN Govt. with dalits because they have passed the litmus test by periyarist crowd.
I mentioned nothing about marriage. Nobody needs to marry a dalit in order to prove he has discarded social-discrimination / casteism. But most certainly, one can access the level of casteism some brahmins have, from the ideas expressed on this very forum (I can only imagine how things must have been in the 1920s if this is the state in 2011).

Even today some justify dharmashastras, some make very tall claims that whatever is in vedas was contributed by brahmins only (despite the fact that the composers and "people of vedic period" is lost to history), then there are obfuscations of all sorts ...the worst of all claims is that brahmins have all "good" qualities (since ofcourse caste is by birth) while the shudra (no matter how capable he is or good at heart he is), gets condemned to incapability and ignobility just because he is a shudra by birth.

I suppose brahmins who got promoted thru the ranks in tamilnadu were careful not to make their orthodox-views known publicly, if at all they are/were casteists at heart.

Btw, there are also brahmins who are open to integration by way of allowing vedic education for all. But well, to people like Raju such brahmins are perhaps detestable.

Inter-caste marriages solve nothing. It merely serves an ideology that caste is by birth, and the only way to become a brahmin is to marry one and give birth to one. Which ofcourse (to me) is a ridiculous way of bringing about social integration / inclusiveness.

ME: (2)Me too would anyday appreciate a brahmin who is deeply religious / spiritual but does not beleive in social-discrimination (methinks a true brahmin wud never bother about caste, to God everyone is an equal)
2) At the earliest we have to constitute a central authority in TN which will periodically examine every brahmin to determine whether he/she is deeply religious / spiritual but does not beleive in social-discrimination so that a certificate can be issued and he can go about fearlessly wearing his panchagachcham, vibhuti, kumkum and importantly poonool and kudumi.
Well this is the sort of propaganda that some brahmins would have the world believe. But folks like Shri Raju are only a miniscule portion of the brahmin community. These people want the world to beleive as though brahmins in tamilnadu are living under some seige.

Anyone who goes to the very many temples all over tamilnadu will find brahmins in hordes (esp on pradosham days) wearing his panchagachcham, vibhuti, kumkum and importantly poonool and kudumi. And if you get mistaken for a brahmin, you may even get to hear about how terrible this 'paavi sudra makkal' are for whatever angst that makes no sense.....

Regards.

Last edited:
Dear HH,

I do not address this to 'folks' but to you. your words are in quote:

I mentioned nothing about marriage. Nobody needs to marry a dalit in order to prove he has discarded social-discrimination / casteism. But most certainly, one can access the level of casteism some brahmins have, from the ideas expressed on this very forum (I can only imagine how things must have been in the 1920s if this is the state in 2011).

You had said while talking about the Chief Secretary and DGP of TN " We are obviously talking about people who were/are open to integration wrt caste, while possibly being deeply religious/spiritual themselves".My comments about the marriage with a dalit is in reply to this.What did you mean by "integration wrt caste?" Moreover what is there to protest about or be defensive about to the idea of a high caste-dalit marriage? And you have done exactly that(protesting/being defensive) after waxing so eloquently about casteism!!A high caste candidate marrying a dalit will be the boldest statement about the meaninglessness of casteism. Will it not be? Or does the idea hurt you?

Even today some justify dharmashastras, some make very tall claims that whatever is in vedas was contributed by brahmins only (despite the fact that the composers and "people of vedic period" is lost to history), then there are obfuscations of all sorts ...the worst of all claims is that brahmins have all "good" qualities (since ofcourse caste is by birth) while the shudra no matter how capable he is or good at heart he is, gets condemned to incapability and ignobility just because he is a shudra by birth.

Why this marked sympathy for shudras to the exclusion of panchamans? Have you forgotten that the Shudras have the same prejudices for the panchamans and have the same complexes and opinions about the panchamans. So all this meandering about dharmashastras etc have no meaning unless you come back to the discussion table to meaningfully discuss the matter in hand. You have said "Btw, there are also brahmins who are open to integration by way of allowing vedic education for all. But well, to people like Raju such brahmins are perhaps detestable". Why do you stop with vedic education being available for all? It appears you think in a simplistic way that veda parayanam is the be all and end all of integration. The vedic education is available to every one already. You can learn any veda from the internet. I am going one step beyond that. Why dont you support acceptance of panchamans into your family? Only those who stop with lip sympathy are detestable to Raju i.e. me.

Well this is the sort of propaganda that some brahmins would have the world believe. Shri RVR was good at this. But folks like RVR and Raju are only a miniscule portion of the brahmin community. These people want the world to beleive as though brahmins in tamilnadu are living under some seige.

What is the propaganda you see here? You had said "Me too would anyday appreciate a brahmin who is deeply religious / spiritual but does not beleive in social-discrimination (methinks a true brahmin wud never bother about caste, to God everyone is an equal)" My answer is to high light the hollowness of such statements. Can you tell me how you will find out such a brahmin. A brahmin's belief in oneness of all the atmas is something which is part of his belief system. It is not something which can be flaunted by him like his kudumi and poonool for others to see. That too if he is deeply religious etc., you would not even go near him because of your prejudices about him as is evident from your own words which I give here"Anyone who goes to the very many temples all over tamilnadu will find brahmins in hordes (esp on pradosham days) wearing his panchagachcham, vibhuti, kumkum and importantly poonool and kudumi. And if you get mistaken for a brahmin, you may even get to hear about how terrible this 'paavi sudra makkal' are for whatever angst that makes no sense....." My words in reply was only an attempt to point out the futility of such peripheral dressings. And BTW I dont understand the propaganda part of it. Will you please elaborate? And also who is this RVR? -- some authority on casteism or egalitarianism?

Cheers.

Last edited:
You asked me what I would do in a given circumstance. You repeated your question and were insisting on a reply and so I gave it. I did not ask you, for obvious reasons, what you would have done in that circumstance. Any way as you are very keen to tell that, let us take a look at it:
Well Raju, perhaps i made a mistake by writing what i would have done, if i were in EVR's place, in a post addressed to you. I was merely conveying to readers what i would have done in an imaginary situation. It was meant for readers possibly tamil speaking dalits from an other forum who tend to justify the violence during the EVR time and claim there were no other options. Any large scale social movement cannot claim to have no options. This thread is getting an average of 100+ hits per day. And am glad for posts from you. Your interaction /posts are valueble.

1) If you were so sure about it(they being irredeemable casteists for ever) why should you go and ask for food from him? Was your self esteem so low? Did you need his approval/acceptance so badly?
I do not understand this. What is it about self-esteem, approval/acceptance ?

There was no need for EVR "go and ask for food" from a brahmin individual. The only places where free food was served in Kasi in those times were chatrams which exclusively fed brahmins (and possibly still do). And ofcourse these were for brahmins only. There were no free-food places for non-brahmins.

So when EVR tried to enter one such chatram, he was told it is for brahmins only. But he had no money. If he wanted food he would have had to beg. Instead of doing that, he tried to enter the chatram wearing a upanayanam-thread. But he had a moustache and could not pass himself off as a brahmin. So he was thrown out (dragged out and pushed out of the door onto the streets, one version also says he was slapped / beaten up and cursed for attempting to pass himself off as a brahmin). Even after being thrown out, he still wud not beg. Out of hunger, he finally had to battle with dogs and eat the leftovers thrown out from the same chatram.

And this is not some concocted tale merely to allege in the lines of "anti-dalit" and "licentious" as you have done. EVR did not live so long back. So there are people in their 80s still alive who can tell you his life's details.

EVR's father had a shop, and the set-up was typically business type, that is, he lived in a household where (gossipy) people continually kept coming in and going out (not like the present times where people can have their privacy). His life events are and known to his extended relatives, friends and those who had lived in the same neighbourhood.

This is ok with me as this is what I have also preferred though 'attitude stemming from the scriptural basis' needs elaboration. '
I need not elaborate on the dharmashastras. Its already been discussed on many threads on this forum. And its obvious how brahmins considered it their duty to adhere to the dharmashastras. So the attitude of birth-based discrimination is ofcourse an attitude that brahmins had, because the shastras say so. This situation is no different from the muslims, who dub all non-beleivers as 'kafirs' (which btw is an insulting word to a strict arab), because the quran says so.

"Asked every one to go back to their old profession" perhaps obliquely indicates the Rajaji Government's aborted experiment. Are you aware of the full details of that experiment? Are you aware that there was no compulsion to go full time to the family's traditional occupation abandoning modern education altogether? What was envisaged was only that each student will devote a part( up to 50%) of his time every day in learning the traditional skills from his father/preceptor in addition to going through the class-room learning of modern education. Are you aware of this? And if yes what is wrong with that experiment? Please enlighten me.
I was not referring to Rajaji. I was referring to the Shankaracharya. I have had enuf arguments with RVR on it and I do not wish to bring up that issue again.

So spare the snake(naga) and hit the brahmin? I do not get what you are trying to tell in this paragraph. May be the neurons in my grey matter are not firing that fast.Please help me.
I think Nara sir already mentioned that EVR never said the point of spare the snake and hit a brahmin. But well, a section of brahmins have decided to attribute quite a few things to EVR to create a demon out of him. Nara Sir, please clarify if EVR had said so. To me, if EVR had said so, i wud think it is another stupid preaching from him.

As regards the shastras, i don't have to explain the labelling, name-calling, etc which they do (again this has been discussed across quite a few threads of this forum).

As for the historical part, i was having the nagara-khanda people in my mind who used the naga (snake) as their totem identification (though they were not the only ones to use such an identification). These nagas were Shaivas, practiced tantra vidhis, and worshipped their asura ancestors. In effect, the fights between devas and asuras in the puranas, were probably fights between the 'vedic-people' and the asuric-shaivas. Anyways, this does not pertain to the topic of EVR, so shall possibly reserve the rest on this subject for some other thread.

Dont be so sure. Please read the book that I had referred. You will change your views on this.
May i know the name of the book and the page numbers which i should look up? On your part, you do need to provide proof that EVR was anti-dalit and licentious.

My understanding of Saiva sidhdhanta(which MM Adigal followed) with its origin in TN is that it has nothing to do with the advaitic philosophy and the nirguna brahman concept of Advaitam. And to bring in Atheism also into the picture takes away in one breath all logic from my span of understanding. May be my grey matter is to be blamed again. Please help me.
Well Adigal was against the atheism of EVR. As regards, Shaiva Siddhantam i don't know much. From books / talks, i understand Saiva Siddhantam has been mingled (or partly "taken over") or deeply influenced by Vedanta. So what really was saiva-siddhantam originally is perhaps difficult to tell since a good many concepts were never put into the written form. I feel the linga symbol originally belongs to the Saiva-siddhantam cult/group though.

In Shaiva-Siddhanta, Shiva is the supreme reality and is formless, omnipresent, beginningless, etc. These concepts are similar to the nirguna brahman of adviata, and possibly these concepts are even pre-vedic (meaning its an ancient philosophy that existed before the rig samhita war period)). So yes, the saiva siddhantam is technically / conceptually atheism. Except that they beleive in a Shiva who lived on Earth (as in Puranas), so they beleive there is a Shiva (as a personal god) who will look after them. Sometimes i wonder if the shaiva tantrics (like the nagara-khanda people) were worshipping asuras like bali, bana, mura, etc because apart from the shiva-linga concept they had no other "gods" to worship at that point of time (maybe they acquired gods to worship after the shanmata system was created).

1)I have not made any allegations. They are statement of facts as available to any one with an open mind.
2)Please go to internet, use any search engine and give the command to search for Periyar EVR and you will get a number of titles. Glean through them patiently and choose the ones which are not by his jalras and there you are with adequate evidence. Any way I have done that several times to prove a point or two to periyarists and found that it was a futile effort to convince any one. So I stop with this and if you have the time and inclination you can search for yourself.
Sorry Raju, i have done enuf searching on the net. And have searched thru enuf books also.

Since you made the allegations, it is only fair that you produce the proof. So please produce the proof that EVR was anti-dalit and licentious.

Regards.

Last edited:
Dear HH,

I do not address this to 'folks' but to you. your words are in quote:

You had said while talking about the Chief Secretary and DGP of TN " We are obviously talking about people who were/are open to integration wrt caste, while possibly being deeply religious/spiritual themselves".My comments about the marriage with a dalit is in reply to this.What did you mean by "integration wrt caste?" Moreover what is there to protest about or be defensive about to the idea of a high caste-dalit marriage? And you have done exactly that(protesting/being defensive) after waxing so eloquently about casteism!!A high caste candidate marrying a dalit will be the boldest statement about the meaninglessness of casteism. Will it not be? Or does the idea hurt you?

1) I was not talking about the Chief Secretary (CS) and DGP. I was talking about all the examples in Kunjuppu ji's post about brahmins who occupy high posts. Nowhere have i said anything about the CS or DGP seperately / specifically. [[I request the moderator to keep note of this, since this appears to be an attempt by Raju to misquote/twist things]].

2) Nowhere have i spoken about marriages. I already made it clear that "Inter-caste marriages solve nothing. It merely serves an ideology that caste is by birth, and the only way to become a brahmin is to marry one and give birth to one. Which ofcourse (to me) is a ridiculous way of bringing about social integration / inclusiveness".

3) I do not understand your statement that "a high caste candidate marrying a dalit will be the boldest statement about the meaninglessness of casteism". Whatever that means for you is your opinion and i have nothing to say on it.

4) To me, integration means opening up vedic education to all at an institutional lelvel. And yes there are brahmins who are not opposed to such an idea of integration.

Please let me know

Why this marked sympathy for shudras to the exclusion of panchamans? Have you forgotten that the Shudras have the same prejudices for the panchamans and have the same complexes and opinions about the panchamans. So all this meandering about dharmashastras etc have no meaning unless you come back to the discussion table to meaningfully discuss the matter in hand. You have said "Btw, there are also brahmins who are open to integration by way of allowing vedic education for all. But well, to people like Raju such brahmins are perhaps detestable". Why do you stop with vedic education being available for all? It appears you think in a simplistic way that veda parayanam is the be all and end all of integration. The vedic education is available to every one already. You can learn any veda from the internet. I am going one step beyond that. Why dont you support acceptance of panchamans into your family? Only those who stop with lip sympathy are detestable to Raju i.e. me.
1) There is nothing called "dalits" in the dharmashastras. The shudras are the panchamas. If gradations across each varna is taken into account, then the panchamas constitute the lowest end of the shudras. But they are not a seperate component by themselves. So when i say shudra, it automatically includes/means a panchama.

2) Every caste has disdain for another not just 'Shudras for Panchamas'. The Namboodiris did not even consider Tamil-Smarthas as brahmins; and did not even recognise their right to chant the vedas (the reasons are rather interesting). Even within sub-castes, there is a gradation component, ex: Vadamas consider themselves superior to Gurukkals. Which is why this whole concept of superiority-inferiority based on "caste" is humbug.

3) Yes true chanting vedas with swaras and all is available on CDs and internet. Since that be the case, there is no reason why discrimination should not end at an institutional level.

What is the propaganda you see here? You had said "Me too would anyday appreciate a brahmin who is deeply religious / spiritual but does not beleive in social-discrimination (methinks a true brahmin wud never bother about caste, to God everyone is an equal)" My answer is to high light the hollowness of such statements. Can you tell me how you will find out such a brahmin.
How to find such a brahmin? Well, just ask him what he thinks about caste. If a brahmin makes offensive comments against low-castes, or preaches / practices social-discrimination or casteism, i feel pretty much sure that DMK will not be promoting such people along the ranks. So even if someone has orthodox-views in their heart (if at all they do), obviously they are promoted thru the ranks because they do not make it known publicly.

A brahmin's belief in oneness of all the atmas is something which is part of his belief system. It is not something which can be flaunted by him like his kudumi and poonool for others to see. That too if he is deeply religious etc., you would not even go near him because of your prejudices about him as is evident from your own words which I give here"Anyone who goes to the very many temples all over tamilnadu will find brahmins in hordes (esp on pradosham days) wearing his panchagachcham, vibhuti, kumkum and importantly poonool and kudumi. And if you get mistaken for a brahmin, you may even get to hear about how terrible this 'paavi sudra makkal' are for whatever angst that makes no sense....." My words in reply was only an attempt to point out the futility of such peripheral dressings. And BTW I dont understand the propaganda part of it. Will you please elaborate?
I feel you are twisting my words. I request the moderator to keep a watch on this discussion (bcoz Raju seems to be taking sentences out of context and claiming they show my prejudice). Anyways to clarify -- My comments on finding brahmins anywhere across tamilnadu was in response to your post that ".. a certificate can be issued and he can go about fearlessly wearing his panchagachcham, vibhuti, kumkum and importantly poonool and kudumi". It was to convey that anyone can go to any part of tamilnadu and can see for himself brahmins living without any fear. And the context in which both of us said what we did is clear in post 92

As regards the propaganda part, there are some brahmins who write as though brahmins are living under some sort of a seige in tamilnadu. They indulge in false propaganda that brahmins cannot wear their symbols and walk about fearlessly. There are some old threads on this forum also on this.

Regards.

Last edited:
Sir, i doubt if EVR had a healthy respect for the tambram's skills or for anyone's skills specifically on the basis of caste. I also doubt if DMK would have promoted any brahmin along the ranks, if they had held on to (or made known publicly) their orthodox-views on caste. We are obviously talking about people who were/are open to integration wrt caste, while possibly being deeply religious/spiritual themselves.

Me too would anyday appreciate a brahmin who is deeply religious / spiritual but does not beleive in social-discrimination (methinks a true brahmin wud never bother about caste, to God everyone is an equal).

Regards.

happy,

no matter what, there are civil servants, accountants etc whose porfessional services are available to those who are their masters.

i do not know how strictly the promotion of governemnt top jobs are by seniority. those jobs are not unionised. i guess the CM has some leeway in promoting folks for critical jobs, ie folks he is comfortable with and whose talent he can rely upon. these are not easy jobs. in this, i have found, that MK did not deliberately exclude brahmins out. that is all.

i think one should be stupid to talk about caste and superiority of the tambrams in a tamilnadu government environment. that would be commiting a career hara kiri. MK attends all the wedding and major ceremonies of his senior officers, regardless of castes. surprisingly he has a large umber of north indians in his senior ranks, and i am quite sure that many of them are there by choice.

we are all an integrated society. even if we want to, we cannot isolate ourselves from the other castes or religions. from the scavenger to the priest, at some point in our life, every one has a role. hope this explains.

thank you.

Last edited:
Sri.KRS Sir,

Greetings. I humbly request you delete all the sentences mentioning Sri.RVR, please. To my understanding, Sri.RVR does not take part in any of the discussions. In my opinion, It is less than decent to mention his name in discusions. Hence the request. Thank you.

Cheers!

Sri.KRS Sir,

Greetings. I humbly request you delete all the sentences mentioning Sri.RVR, please. To my understanding, Sri.RVR does not take part in any of the discussions. In my opinion, It is less than decent to mention his name in discusions. Hence the request. Thank you.

Cheers!
Saw this and therefore removed what i had mentioned to Raju that RVR was a nobody and hence we need not discuss him. Anyways, i take it as a suggestion from you that references to him be deleted, and therefore have deleted my mention of him. I leave it to Shri KRS ji to delete the parts in any of the posts where RVR has been mentioned.

Since the content of the above page from kudiarasu is in tamil, it may be a good idea to enumerate some points in english and post them here.

Regards.

Last edited:
Sri.KRS Sir,

Cheers!

I had made a genuine query for information and Shri Kunjuppu had replied to that. I do not think those need to be erased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back