• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Birthdays and annual ceremonies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as a lay man I want to express my understanding on this particular topic. As I keep thinking of these Met empiric aspects of our life since from my mid 20's and have penchant to have in-depth knowledge in all these, I would like to express my level of imaginations and understanding.

I would request Sri Sabesan Narayanaswami ji, Sri Pannvalan ji, Sri Swaminatha Sharmna ji and Ms.Somayaji to pardon me to make my comments on this subject without being a scholarly person.

---------------
After death of we human beings, we performs Karyams based on the thithis to put the soul to peace on that particular day (thithi) when the soal has departed from the land of human survival. These karyams based on the thithis are not to celebrate but to pay homage and complete Karmic duties for those who had karmic bondage with us and departed from us once for all to a different unknown world.

But we Celebrate Ramanavami (Lord Ramas' birthday), Krishnashtami/krishna jayathi (Lord Kirshna's birthday) to celebrate and solute the God's Incarnations as Rama & Krishna. These are the thithis when God came on the Earth to teach/guide and secure the lives of we human beings. The divine soul/supreme power can never have death and can never be treated as departed soul from this land of human survival.

Cheers..

RAVI

Thithi is based on moon, and nakshatra is based on star. As moon is more nearby and calculation can be better , thithi is taken for, whereby the relative calculation and time adjustment will be more accurate. Moreover , to take a practical realistic view, all our main ritual festivals fall on Pournami.because in olden days there was no electricity.The only main festival falling on Amaavasi is Deepavali, when we bring light by lighting a number of Lamps.

Then, in calculation Deva varsha ,pitru varsha etc, (the time factor- days and year of manushya,Deav ,pitru etc) it is based on thithi or lunar day and not Nakshatra.

Another deduction can be, that pitru loka is thought to exist on the other side(generally invisible) of moon.Hence thithi, based on lunar rotation is based for pitru sraddhas.

Hence hithi is followed. (IMHO)

Greetings

Dear Sri Swaminatha Sharma

All the good functions should be done taking into consideration of the 5 parts of the almanac like Thithi, Vaaram, Natchatram, Yogam and Karnam....

We never use Raasi in any of our Sankalpam. I feel Raasi is not appearing any of our Vedic Manthras except astrology. Why is it so?

In our Sankalpa we do not even mention the hora.Rasi has nothing to do with the action for which we are doing sankalpa.Rasi is only for astrological purposes
Incidentaly in a Q.& A. section of a magazine the Mahasannidhanam of Sringeri had observed that a person should celebrate his wedding annivessary when the star occurs and not the date
For subha karyams we usually follow the star.I will try to get the ref in one of the grihya sutras

Dear Sri Swaminatha Sharma

All the good functions should be done taking into consideration of the 5 parts of the almanac like Thithi, Vaaram, Natchatram, Yogam and Karnam....

?

I conur with Sri RV. "thithi vaara nakshatra yogascha karanamchaiav a ..ithi panchaanga .." Only these five constitute the panchaanga(five parts) or almanac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back