• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Beyond Science and Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

sravna

I think a basic flaw of Science is that it relies on physical verification to accept any hypothesis as true. It is a serious limitation that it imposes upon itself.

Many things are not physically verifiable though accessible to the mind. Since the mind is as real as the body, and relying totally on it is more reliable than relying for the stamp of final approval through physical observations, I would say science indeed cannot progress beyond a certain point with this approach.

The challenge on the other hand for the spiritualists is to make the scientific community believe the claims that they make through faith, at least by indirect means and inferences. I think they have to do this to bring back some order and sense to the people and show that there is another real world beyond this world of sense and ego gratifications and real peace and happiness exists only in that world.

A very tall order but someone has to try.

I think a basic flaw of Science is that it relies on physical verification to accept any hypothesis as true. It is a serious limitation that it imposes upon itself.

Many things are not physically verifiable though accessible to the mind. Since the mind is as real as the body,
To be "real" as per science, an entity has to be physical or some aspect of that entity ought to be verifiable by physical means. For example if by the power or action of "mind" to the exclusion of the action of any other agency, say a physical object is moved through a certain measurable distance, I think we may accept that ability of the "mind". But that gain will not be sufficient to prove, to the satisfaction of science, all the other abilities which may be claimed for "mind".

..and relying totally on it is more reliable than relying for the stamp of final approval through physical observations, I would say science indeed cannot progress beyond a certain point with this approach.
It is premature to write such a final judgement, I feel. If someone can come up with a reliable, verifiable discovery through the power of mind and if that is found to be true after verification, perhaps it will then be possible to claim that "mind power" is more efficient than the current scientific methods. As an example if someone finds out the ingredients of a star (chemical) and the relative percentages of the components, which can be verified with a good amount of accuracy by scientifc methods, perhaps a beginning could be made.

The challenge on the other hand for the spiritualists is to make the scientific community believe the claims that they make through faith, at least by indirect means and inferences. I think they have to do this to bring back some order and sense to the people and show that there is another real world beyond this world of sense and ego gratifications and real peace and happiness exists only in that world.

Spiritualists' claims are also usually related to unverifiable matters, like liberation, heaven & hell, brahmAnanda, the powers of deities, etc. Let the spiritualists come down to the physical world and make a claim relating to any mundane matter; let us say, how a vaccine against cancer can be manufactured? What should be the molecular structure of an aids-vaccine? etc.

Many things are not physically verifiable though accessible to the mind. Since the mind is as real as the body, and relying totally on it is more reliable than relying for the stamp of final approval through physical observations, I would say science indeed cannot progress beyond a certain point with this approach.

Sri.Sravna, Greetings. Science is not that helpless. Quite a bit of advancements are made. A persons well being can be directly measured by measuring blood pressure, temperature, oxygen level in the body, pulse and finding out about pain and discomfort; signs and symptoms reveal more information; stress/happiness can be identified by the presence of certain harmones; presence of certain chemicals in the blood shows if a person had heart attack, if the person is happy etc. Then we have X-ray, CT scan, ECG, EEG, sleep study....there are more such tests reveal more informations that are indirectly objective. I know, I only spoke about patient care areas; don't know about other field of sciences though. My point is, we have come a long way in figuring out things bit more accurately than we did few decades ago.

Cheers!

To be "real" as per science, an entity has to be physical or some aspect of that entity ought to be verifiable by physical means. For example if by the power or action of "mind" to the exclusion of the action of any other agency, say a physical object is moved through a certain measurable distance, I think we may accept that ability of the "mind". But that gain will not be sufficient to prove, to the satisfaction of science, all the other abilities which may be claimed for "mind".

More than all this is a reliable way of proving which one is the truer reality the physical one or the spiritual one. The test would be to make anything physical vanish from the physical realm as if it never really existed by means of spiritual power. That would convincingly show that the physical existence is only a relative existence and the physical world is a relatively real world.

To start with, you can beam very powerful physical signals that are supposed to induce certain effects on a person, at some one who has the spiritual power to counter it and see whether the signals have any effect on him. I am talking about what is called as Synthetic telepathy or psychotronics which is a mature technology in the US, Russia and has been used to overt/covert control of people. If you do not know what synthetic telepathy is try google to learn about it.

If this can be done then we have to conclude that spiritual power exits and so also an underlying spiritual reality.

Shri Raghy,

I am not saying science is helpless or useless. But only we have to be aware of its limitations. It is my conviction that all the might of science cannot stand against the true spiritual power of even a single person.

ok, here is something that was big in our daily news yesterday. how many of us here are truly human Tamil Brahmin heritage? and how many are aliens? honestly please own up your ancestry :)

UFOs targeted nuclear missiles, say former USAF officers
Shri Kunjuppu,

I believe most of us will have no problem admitting that ours may be a mixed ancestry, since it would have been really impossible to prevent admixture of genes even up to a very late stage in our civilizations and even after that, such phenomenon cannot be completely ruled out. So, a few sets of alien genes may not make us unsettled as long as our brain and mind are in proper places!

But my doubt is, how trustworthy is this news? And, more relevant to this thread, whether these UFOs belong to the real world as we call, or the "really real"world as posited by Shri Sravna and explained by him in post#4 above?

I grew up as Secular, Scientific and very Physical Hindu for 37 years, where perception by 5 senses, its records and explanation took First place and our ancient scriptures and pronouncements took second place.
But the course of events during and after my father's passing away, has slowly changed my Opinion to that expounded by Sravana. I have never seen my father's ghost or anybody else's ghost either.
It is just I started reading a lot more of our religious scriptures and contemplate on events all around and into historical past as well. On many counts I do not see contradiction between records of Physical events and that stated in our scriptures.
And on other counts I still haven't reached that stage of realization to dismiss the contradictions, it is continuous learning process.
This realization is very subtle. If an individuals expects proof in the realms of Deterministic and Finite, that individual might just as well prepare oneself to accept that they would be partial non-believers in direct proportion to such expectations.

Below is an analogy (read up on the word "Vicarious" in Oxford Dictionary to understand the below)

We all know Personal Excellence is a given and mandatory when in a cricketer finds place in BBCI's team. (BCCI is actually a private club and not a National Public institution like say Indian Olympic Association)
We further know there is enormous politicking , backstabbing , greediness and such unworthy acts which easily outnumber the personal excellence and further goes against Patriotism as well.
In-spite of above qualities we somehow associate all our national Pride and Happiness for that day with such individuals collective accomplishments.
This is called Vicarious pleasure. It is is very different from pleasure when you accomplish something you desired.
Yet the Vicarious pleasure can never be denied as unreal.

Besides there are many more analogies.
But if an individual forcefully holds certain beliefs and non-beliefs in his mind, then that individual alone can release himself and his mind. No amount of analogies and inferences would undo the force within his mind.

If you do not know what synthetic telepathy is try google to learn about it.
Dear sravna
Having read the large number of postings in this forum by Sri sangom I don't think he/she does not know about google search.So I think your comment is quite uncalled for.

I grew up as Secular, Scientific and very Physical Hindu for 37 years, where perception by 5 senses, its records and explanation took First place and our ancient scriptures and pronouncements took second place.
But the course of events during and after my father's passing away, has slowly changed my Opinion to that expounded by Sravana. I have never seen my father's ghost or anybody else's ghost either.
It is just I started reading a lot more of our religious scriptures and contemplate on events all around and into historical past as well. On many counts I do not see contradiction between records of Physical events and that stated in our scriptures.
Shri Raghuram,

I don't know for how long you are reading religious scriptures and also which type of our religious scriptures and the kind of books on those texts which you read. If you are reading the books which try to extoll at any cost what is written in the original, sometimes even by omitting what is inconvenient, by using convoluted derivations instead of the straightforward meanings, through the commentators' imaginative descriptions and analogies, by citing some earlier sanskrit commentator as undisputable authority, etc., etc., it is possible that despite your 37 years of secular and scientific outlook, you get hooked onto those kind of explanations and start feeling that there is a lot of mysterious, other-worldly knowledge bequeathed to posterity in those texts and you are a proud inheritor of such wisdom. Of course, those people will write that way because that is what the believers want. It is also fortunate for them that most of our scriptures are in Sanskrit and we, the lay people, have to depend upon somebody who says "this is what it says"; this is akin to the position in Christianity in which the laity is prohibited from interpreting its scripture/s and have to gulp (compulsorily) what the clergy claims it to mean.

If you acquire a working knowledge of Sanskrit, read the original texts and find out what it means, you will come to know what exactly is there. Just today, I have responded to the thread about "proper time for Sraaddham" and you may find a sample of how our religion had been. Similarly I had occasion to write against somebody's claim that the vedas are "apourushEya" - of esoteric origin, that sound waves ever present (?) or ever traversing the ether round and round (otherwise some part will be lost - like yesterday's radio waves - from which the rishis, through their superhuman ability, filtered out certain very mystical truths and made them as vedas. I have also written as to how Rama was elevated to godhead, from a purely human king as depicted by Valmiki, by the author of the Adhyatma Ramayana, etc. There is a whole lot to discover as to how religion can blunt your intellect.

If only the mind power is so great as the starter of this thread wants us to believe, how is it that we did not have even one person, throughout the known history, who could give a satisfactory demonstration of it? Of course, we have several grand descriptions in Puranas but only if one reads the puranas at least fairly completely will one come to know what sorts of "stories" they contain.

...And on other counts I still haven't reached that stage of realization to dismiss the contradictions, it is continuous learning process.
This realization is very subtle. If an individuals expects proof in the realms of Deterministic and Finite, that individual might just as well prepare oneself to accept that they would be partial non-believers in direct proportion to such expectations.
Faith cannot have any rational proof. If one believes that he is possessed by a ghost, it is very difficult to talk him out of it but we still take him for psychiatric treatment or to a "mantravaadi" to get him cured. But if one believes in Sakunam, and delays his going out till he gets a proper Sakunam, or arranges for a good Sakunam, we just take it as a sign of piety. The grade goes on increasing - Rahu kalam, Gulika kalam, Yamagandam, dreams, etc. But so long as these are "within the norms" acceptable to the society, we don't bother to analyze and say there are subtle principles which only those who have developed special powers will know.

Below is an analogy (read up on the word "Vicarious" in Oxford Dictionary to understand the below)

We all know Personal Excellence is a given and mandatory when in a cricketer finds place in BBCI's team. (BCCI is actually a private club and not a National Public institution like say Indian Olympic Association)
We further know there is enormous politicking , backstabbing , greediness and such unworthy acts which easily outnumber the personal excellence and further goes against Patriotism as well.
In-spite of above qualities we somehow associate all our national Pride and Happiness for that day with such individuals collective accomplishments.
This is called Vicarious pleasure. It is is very different from pleasure when you accomplish something you desired.
When we say "pleasure", whether vicarious or otherwise, it is a matter within the realm of the body and the mind. I do not think the sensation of "pleasure" by itself is different when it is vicarious, only the mode of achieving that pleasure is different. Suppose you get the news that your son/daughter has secured a very good job, will you not be happy? Is it the vicarious type, personal achievement or a third category? In any case the existence of vicarious pleasure IMO does not have any connection to the superior mental abilities claimed by religionists. If after all, we are merely discussing about another world in our mental imagination, that is a very ordinary matter.

Besides there are many more analogies.
But if an individual forcefully holds certain beliefs and non-beliefs in his mind, then that individual alone can release himself and his mind. No amount of analogies and inferences would undo the force within his mind.
The purport of these sentences seem contradictory; there are many more mental analogies, analogies and inferences will not undo the force within the mind (force for what?), forcefully holding on to certain (which?) beliefs and non-beliefs alone will release a person (from the body?) and his mind (where will the mind so released go and do what?).

Dear Shri Saarangam,

I agree it was unthoughtful of me to have made that suggestion. As a matter of fact I have the highest regard for the knowledge possessed by Shri Sangom which is pretty much evident from his posts and I confess I don't possess even a modicum of that knowledge. Actually there are few persons I know who can argue with the authority that Shri Sangom does on a broad range of topics.

There is a fundamental difference between spiritual and physical power.The nature of spiritual energy is essentially one of connecting whereas that of physical energy is one of disintegrating.

The thoughts of a spiritually gifted person is essentially spiritual energy which can take off the impact of the physical energy. You can more readily relate to this when you consider mental energy.

Mind can be impervious to anything that can potentially have an effect on it such as a shocking news or something that can invoke strong emotions. To an extent one can train one's mind in doing this through meditation and yoga though it is largely an inborn gift.The mental energy which can potentially affect the body is simply
neutralized and produces no impact. We definitely know people with such control. A sufficiently balanced mind can also protect the body through its spiritual power and the test I suggest is exactly to prove that point.

And it seems to me that If the impact from everything physical is removed we get a world that is spiritual in spirit though physical in flesh. It will be a simulation of the spiritual world. You wouldn't see force in doing anything but as if operating automatically.

Thus I see spirituality as anti force and something which can overcome both
physical and mental power. The practical problem apart in finding a person who can take this challenge, I think in principle it serves as a good test to decide which is the absolute reality.

More than all this is a reliable way of proving which one is the truer reality the physical one or the spiritual one. The test would be to make anything physical vanish from the physical realm as if it never really existed by means of spiritual power. That would convincingly show that the physical existence is only a relative existence and the physical world is a relatively real world.
Shri Sravna,

Almost all people who are considered normal by the societies, feel that this three-dimensional world is real and science (which means the cumulative result/achievement of such people's intellectual and physical efforts), in its wisdom or the lack of it, has been able to find that this "real" world and the cosmos obey certain laws which are predictable. All that we call as advancement of civilization has always depended mostly on these scientific advancements and less on the meta-physical discussions (we cannot say 'advancement here because metaphysics, being the philosophical study of being and knowing, is not something which could contribute anything substantial towards the material well-being of the human race.)

Even fire-making by friction was invented by accident, not by any philosophical thinking; so also the wheel. But later on the same fire was put to lot of use in religion as well as theological discourses sounding like metaphysics (kaThOpanishad-nAcikEtAgni).

Hence even if there is a relatively more real world -RW-2 let us say, (which I don't think, but am assuming for argument's sake) and somehow one is able to demonstrate it to others, or even get into that RW-2, is there not a possibility that once we enter it we may find another RM-3 which will look relatively more real than RW-2? What is the guarantee that there is no reality beyond RW-2? can some theoretical or metaphysical argument be made to rule out that possibility? If not, is it not feasible that there can be an infinite regress like that?

Since Nature, or God, or Brahman - whatsoever the name you may want to call the power underlying the phenomenon we call "life", has made us live in this reality, why should we think of running away from this and thinking of another world as more real?

Coming to the term "spiritual power", I would request you to explain a bit more about what your concept is? What is "spirit"? Does it refer to "ghosts", "prEta", etc.? Or, do you consider a universal spiritual power, separate from individual humans? If so, how do you think it can be harnessed and put to use? What is the "power" that a spirit or prEta will have, and again how can that be put to use by living human beings?

To start with, you can beam very powerful physical signals that are supposed to induce certain effects on a person, at some one who has the spiritual power to counter it and see whether the signals have any effect on him. I am talking about what is called as Synthetic telepathy or psychotronics which is a mature technology in the US, Russia and has been used to overt/covert control of people. If you do not know what synthetic telepathy is try google to learn about it.

If this can be done then we have to conclude that spiritual power exits and so also an underlying spiritual reality.
Physical signals, counter, spiritual power, etc., are all vague expressions; suppose someone wants a powerful X-ray beam to be withstood by a person under this experiment, is there anyone who will claim the he can withstand - without the help of any material protection - by using his spiritual power, will it be possible to find even one case?

Now coming to Synthetic telepathy, I find it is very different from psychotronics. Neither wil be useful for the type of experiments you have prescribed, viz., withstanding powerful physical signals by using 'spiritual power' since both do not talk of such a reverse action, i.e., spiritual power withstanding powerful signals. Please correct me if I am wrong. Both of them talk about mind/brain power -material object interface only. For the information of the members I give below the urls:
Army developing ?synthetic telepathy? - Technology & science - Science - DiscoveryNews.com - msnbc.com
Brain?computer interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Psychotronics ***

*** This was the most favourable article about psychotronics, many others deriding it outright as bs. Even this article is of 1980's and there is nothing in the google search results of a more recent date to show that Russia is actively pursuing it. Members may make their independent judgement.

Dear Shri Sangom,

You talk about the possibility of other real worlds being there. You need not go into the spiritual reality to find that out. Luckily, you can experience that reality through your mind by being in the physical body. One who has a totally evolved mind and who has transcended physical and mental effects will tell you what that reality is like and that it is the ultimate reality. We have truly great spiritually gifted people such as Sankara, Ramakrishna paramahamsa etc who by their mental power were able to experience that state and offer their wisdom to others.

I define spirituality as something that takes us out of the shackles of the physical world. It is latent in all of us though it has to develop through a natural process but will eventually happen. I go by the word of Sankara that there is only one reality that is brahman and others are all lower or relative realities. This is a totally different topic and I don not want to get into that now.

We have to focus on the higher reality and not on this physical reality to enjoy eternal true bliss which I think will not happen in the physical reality, Again I cite the experiences of great spiritual people who were able to realize that blissful state.

Dear Shri Sangom,

You talk about the possibility of other real worlds being there.
No, Shri Sravna, I was only citing your opinion that "More than all this is a reliable way of proving which one is the truer reality the physical one or the spiritual one. The test would be to make anything physical vanish from the physical realm as if it never really existed by means of spiritual power. That would convincingly show that the physical existence is only a relative existence and the physical world is a relatively real world." Thus it was you who said this world is not real, there is a truer (more real) world which can be demonstrated in the manner described by you, etc. I only said if after going or experiencing that "more real world", you find that it is also full of some sort of shackles and come to know that only if you do something else/more can you experience a still more real world, and so on, where will it stop?

You need not go into the spiritual reality to find that out. Luckily, you can experience that reality through your mind by being in the physical body. One who has a totally evolved mind and who has transcended physical and mental effects will tell you what that reality is like and that it is the ultimate reality. We have truly great spiritually gifted people such as Sankara, Ramakrishna paramahamsa etc who by their mental power were able to experience that state and offer their wisdom to others.
Experiencing "spiritual reality" "through one's totally evolved mind" by "one who has transcended physical and mental effects" looks very puzzling to me. Please elucidate how one who has transcended mental effects will experience through his mind?

I define spirituality as something that takes us out of the shackles of the physical world. It is latent in all of us though it has to develop through a natural process but will eventually happen. I go by the word of Sankara that there is only one reality that is brahman and others are all lower or relative realities. This is a totally different topic and I don not want to get into that now.
What do you mean by "shackles of the physical world"? Can you cite where Sankara has said "all others are all lower or relative realities"?

We have to focus on the higher reality and not on this physical reality to enjoy eternal true bliss which I think will not happen in the physical reality, Again I cite the experiences of great spiritual people who were able to realize that blissful state.
Has Sankara said about "enjoying" eternal true bliss? If so in which heaven? If it is merging into brahman, is not brahman nirguna? Does brahman have qualities to provide you the enjoyment?

Last edited:
By transcending the effects I mean not being affected by the physical and mental forces. And the shackles of the physical world are exactly these forces to which we react adversely. Shankara does refer to physical reality as a relative reality and he does say that brahman is bliss and the experience of bliss is one of enjoyment.

If BCCI is a private club then so is IOA. It derives legitimacy by virtue of being recognised by the IOC. Only difference is that IOA begs for public funds for daily expenses, while BCCI can afford to give to Rs 50 crores to football association.

Kalmadi demended that BCCI should "compensate" the CWG as BCCI schedule clashes with CWG. Of course, the BCCI rejected the demand. Kalamadi cannot reject a counter demand of BCCI, as they don't have money!!

Tendulkar might have been "selected" due to politics and caste. But his centuries are not outcome of political patronage, nor due to his caste. Are they? Politics can get a player selected, but not make him play. Take Laloo's son. Captain of Bihar School boys team!! Hoho. ZERO in IPL.

Hi Sangom,

Noted your essay of points, each of which is a topic in itself and I shall try replying
Nevertheless the summary of my earlier posting which which I just reiterating from my earlier posting is

"On many counts I do not see contradiction between records of Physical events and that stated in our scriptures.
on other counts I still haven't reached that stage of realization to dismiss the contradictions, it is continuous learning process."

What is the summary of Your point of view on the Topic raised by Sravna in the first place

1) Is it that one should trust and use only those postulations for which one has personally seen the Physical Evidences.

2) Or is it additionally one might also trust and use only those postulation for one has heard here-say about its Physical Evidences.

3) Or is it is just plain anti religious scriptures or just anti anything and just plain nothing.

Rgds
Raghuram

I largely accept what you say. But although mind has as true an existence as that of body, there seems to be no structured pattern of mind. Also,while the physical form also evolves from childhood,to adulthood to old age,the evolution is mind is more dynamic. Mind constitutes of the beleifs,values,experiences and pereceptions of the individual,which are largely divergent. And then the fundamental concept of 'rebirth'which most westerns do not find appealing.

But again I strongly feel that although there are numerous faiths and innumerable subsects within each faith, the only purpose of religion can be self-realisation. How an individual goes about it is his own choice.

I would have ended this note on a positive note if I were clear about the 'fate' or pre-ordained theory and the 'all-is-in-your hands' theory,which I am not.

Sundaresan Suresh

Hi Sangom,

Noted your essay of points, each of which is a topic in itself and I shall try replying
Nevertheless the summary of my earlier posting which which I just reiterating from my earlier posting is

"On many counts I do not see contradiction between records of Physical events and that stated in our scriptures.
on other counts I still haven't reached that stage of realization to dismiss the contradictions, it is continuous learning process."

What is the summary of Your point of view on the Topic raised by Sravna in the first place

1) Is it that one should trust and use only those postulations for which one has personally seen the Physical Evidences.

2) Or is it additionally one might also trust and use only those postulation for one has heard here-say about its Physical Evidences.

3) Or is it is just plain anti religious scriptures or just anti anything and just plain nothing.

Rgds
Raghuram
Shri Raghuram,

You have given your view in a nutshell but have not asked for my response on that; instead, you want me to give a summary of my views on Shri Sravna's topic, which is:

"I think a basic flaw of Science is that it relies on physical verification to accept any hypothesis as true. It is a serious limitation that it imposes upon itself.

"

Since Sravna himself has not asked for a summary, and nor is it possible to summarize each post without losing all the points, I request you to go through my various responses to Sravna's and arrive at your own conclusions.

Hi Sangom,

Noted your your postings, with varied words and specifics.
The commonality amongst them is, nitpick on some specifics words or sentences and provide exhaustive rant selecting only the ills.

It would be great if you could provide your construct on the Subject.
Or can I assume your point of view being just contrarian to what Sravna or myself posted ie

1) One should trust and use only those postulations for which one has personally seen the Physical Evidences.
2) Additionally one might also trust and use only those postulation for one has heard here-say about its Physical Evidences.

Rgds
Raghuram

Hi Sangom,

Noted your your postings, with varied words and specifics.
The commonality amongst them is, nitpick on some specifics words or sentences and provide exhaustive rant selecting only the ills.
I do not consider it necessary to respond to one who feels that what I write is "rant".

I do not consider it necessary to respond to one who feels that what I write is "rant".

Raghuram, have you read any of Shri sangom's posts? You may disagree with some or even all of what he writes, but to say his writings are rants is a reflection of your personality than his writings. Using derogatory language is to be avoided against anyone, but it is all the more important to avoid it against elders and one who has very clearly established his scholarly credentials. I fully support Shri sangom's decision not to respond to you.

Hope you apologize to him and don't lash out at me, but if you do, like Shri sangom, I will not respond.

Thanks ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sri.Raghuram said -

Sri. Raghuram Sir, Greetings. In this forum Sri.Sangom is the only person who does not nit pick; who writes both positive and negatives of a subject; importantly, the only (frequently writing member) whose write ups are well balanced. (Sri.Nara is good in most of his postings; Sri.Sangom is better in almost all his postings). I have a very simple method which can be successfully adopted by anyone...If I don't understand or find something too overwhelming, I openly say so and seek explanations. As of today, it has worked very well.

I request you to reconsider the quoted comment, please. Thanks.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back