• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Beware of ready to eat foods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sri RVR,

Thanks for posting the message and cautioning the consumers on the dangers of ready made food.
Happy Deepavali.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

ready made indian foods has become a reality. not only in indian stores in toronto, but in the run of the mill supermarkets, we have packaged, ready to eat foods.

one should read the labels carefully - for the amount of chemcals and preservatives that are added to keep the food preserved in vacuum packs or refrigerated, but also take into account, the extent of machine processing, which effectively, i believe, removes the fibre content. also, i find the sodium content excessive to my taste.

as a matter of convenience, it may be ok once in a while (once a month?), if it cannot be completely avoided.

nothing beats home cooked food fresh from scratch. if your religious or house practice permits it, i find it best to cook more on each occassion, and put away some in the fridge, and some in the freezer for later use. this is any day better than splitting a vacuum pack and dumping pre-prepared stuff into a pot and microwaving it.

appaada, for once RVR, sangom and myself are in harmony. what a relief :) :)

I think for this big mistake, the fine of Rs.50,000 is very small. Both Wall Mart and Bharti are very big companies. It is a paltry sum for them.

I don't know how the punishment will be for the same problem elsewhere in the world.

It is high time, we change the laws to punish the guilty more severely.

All the best

ready made indian foods has become a reality. not only in indian stores in toronto, but in the run of the mill supermarkets, we have packaged, ready to eat foods.

one should read the labels carefully - for the amount of chemcals and preservatives that are added to keep the food preserved in vacuum packs or refrigerated, but also take into account, the extent of machine processing, which effectively, i believe, removes the fibre content. also, i find the sodium content excessive to my taste.

as a matter of convenience, it may be ok once in a while (once a month?), if it cannot be completely avoided.

nothing beats home cooked food fresh from scratch. if your religious or house practice permits it, i find it best to cook more on each occassion, and put away some in the fridge, and some in the freezer for later use. this is any day better than splitting a vacuum pack and dumping pre-prepared stuff into a pot and microwaving it.

appaada, for once RVR, sangom and myself are in harmony. what a relief :) :)
Dear Shri Kunjuppu,

Thanks very much for advance compliments. I am agreeing only now, you see! But may be my agreement is more because the preservatives do not suit my stomach.

When I lived at Muscat, Sultananate of Oman, I was using a lot of pre-packaged foodstuffs, as a matter of convenience. Now looking at all these stories, it is back to Nature and fresh food, readily available, in Chennai. However this business of preparing more food and storing in fridge and freezer, for use at a later time, is not leaving us. Somehow thawing and heating even homemade food does not taste the same! Besides it is no longer Sathvic food. What to do!

definitely home made foods with proper hygiene and care and natural foods are scientifically good for health than canned, tinned or packed foods. i am surprised to see some people who has time but are rich so employ a cook, who is more busy, and prepare for a week and refridgerate and heat and eat, definitely this is not advisable. i think just a rasam,dal, rice and vegetable wont take long time. fridges would stink and become a cupboard if u store like this. as much as possible just spend few minutes eat simple food salads etc it is healthy too, only when unavoidable go for such alternatives

definitely home made foods with proper hygiene and care and natural foods are scientifically good for health than canned, tinned or packed foods. i am surprised to see some people who has time but are rich so employ a cook, who is more busy, and prepare for a week and refridgerate and heat and eat, definitely this is not advisable. i think just a rasam,dal, rice and vegetable wont take long time. fridges would stink and become a cupboard if u store like this. as much as possible just spend few minutes eat simple food salads etc it is healthy too, only when unavoidable go for such alternatives

Shri Giridhar,

I agree with you that some people who can afford to cook everyday do employ cook and get a week's food cooked and stored in the fridge etc. But there are cases of husband and wife earning and they have to resort to such unhealthy habits out of sheer necessity. Somehow, even those who are earning well do not think of their spouse looking after the home. (I am very much aware of the gender issue which will crop up here; that is why I have carefully used the word "spouse".)

In my view, cooking is a very good stress reliever, may be because I have to concentrate very much on it, because of my age. Sometimes I do feel whether vegetarian food also is not cruelty to the items which are peeled, cut, cooked, mashed, roasted, etc. If the keerai, poosanikkai, putalankai, Vendakkai,etc., could weep audibly what will be our attitude! Secondly, I get lot of happiness when the item/s I prepare, turn out well and are appreciated. I suppose other males may also try their hand in the kitchen and get stress relief and the benefit of yoga too.

After that (unwanted?) intro., it is now very necessary to immerse almost all the vegetables for at least half an hour in salt water or synthetic vinegar solution, to reduce the effects of insecticides, especially if there are small children in the house. The insecticides used are so fatal that a small dose is enough to kill a person, I am told, and they are present in the vegetable itself, not only on the outer surface. We are all eating poisoned foods nowadays.

One method is to select vegetables with புழுக்குத்தல் (worm-eaten) because such items will not have insecticides!!

Our life style has changed a lot. Most of us have vacated villages to live in Towns and Cities. Availability of fresh food items, vegetables, Milk etc have to depend on the sellers. Time is another factor. When both Husband and wife go for job, it has become difficult for them to get adequate time for cooking even if both share the work. Next best alternative is to prefer ready to eat food out side. Reputed ready to eat food are manufactured under strict standards of hygiene.
Let us not forget that all that we were getting fresh from the fields also contain insects and chemical insecticides.
It is my view for a vegetarian, storing of food items in Refrigerator should be minimal. Cooked food should be consumed within a day. Our food habits have changed considerably due to influx of foreign cuisine .Hotels and restaurants serve Pan-Indian menu. Noodles, Pizzas, pasta and Spaghetti have come to stay.
We have to accept the change of food habits along with the time, which is irreversible. But should be careful in checking the standards when we purchase packed food items

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
@ Brahmanyan sir.
I agree sir ready to eat mix are the way to go about but sir the nutrients is gone by then.
Amma says that the vegetable when freshly cut should be put immediately and eat at once. That's when nutrients are there.
Sir nowadays they also get pasta mix(try it sir I loved it)
Always we should wash them irrespective of wherever we get them from.
Whenever amma gives me sambaar sadam and Kai plus applaam I tell amma pls give me a spoon. But when amma prepares roti or dosai I eat with bare hands.
Some also say that eating junk foods make our body more resistant to fight the germs. The enzymes which fight them get used to them.

My mother once prepared Daal and stored it in fridge and served it to appa the next day. Appa told, " Enna irendu naaLaikku wholesalea samachu vechchutiya".

Last edited:
@ Brahmanyan sir.
I agree sir ready to eat mix are the way to go about but sir the nutrients is gone by then.
Amma says that the vegetable when freshly cut should be put immediately and eat at once. That's when nutrients are there.
Sir nowadays they also get pasta mix(try it sir I loved it)
Always we should wash them irrespective of wherever we get them from.
Whenever amma gives me sambaar sadam and Kai plus applaam I tell amma pls give me a spoon. But when amma prepares roti or dosai I eat with bare hands.
Some also say that eating junk foods make our body more resistant to fight the germs. The enzymes which fight them get used to them.

My mother once prepared Daal and stored it in fridge and served it to appa the next day. Appa told, " Enna irendu naaLaikku wholesalea samachu vechchutiya".

Dear Sri Ramanujan,

Yes, your Amma is correct. Vegetables should be fresh and to be cooked at the earliest after cutting. As for our cooked food, both Northern and Southern Indian varieties should be taken hot to relish the taste. Interestingly most of our South Indian recipes require slow cooking. Both are missing in today's world of speed. In Bangalore I have seen IT employees earning in fat K's standing in Dharshani Cafes and rush through their brunch before boarding their staff buses. A pitiable sight indeed. I used to wonder what for people earn money, if they don't have time to take their food with their family. Please do not think I am eulogising old habits. Dining table (or floor) was the meeting place where many of us used to discuss family subjects in olden days. My father who was a strict disciplinarian by nature, insisted on that practice.

But when I look at the healthy growth of youngsters today, I don't think that the present change in food habits have affected any one's health much.

Best wishes,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sri Ramanujan,

But when I look at the healthy growth of youngsters today, I don't think that the present change in food habits have affected any one's health much.

Best wishes,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Shri Brahmanyan,

I would say that the present younger generation have the chance of suffering from diabetes, BP, angina, obesity, and a host of other diseases. Stress is supposed to be the main reason. But junk food, ready-to-eat food, unhealthy food habits, etc., do contribute a lot to this state of affairs.

Shri Ramanujan,

It is a wrong notion that eating junk foods increases immunity to diseases caused by food infection. If one has very good health, it will be possible to ward off infections but no immunity is generated as in the case of small-pox or chicken-pox. Perhaps Shri Brahmanyan will be able to give a more authentic opinion.

for those consuming prepared foods, please read the nutrient information, calorie content and above all, the chemical additives.

most of them have excessive salt content.

prepared foods should be used as a convenience for occassional use. not a daily practice. especially children.

Shri Brahmanyan,

I would say that the present younger generation have the chance of suffering from diabetes, BP, angina, obesity, and a host of other diseases. Stress is supposed to be the main reason. But junk food, ready-to-eat food, unhealthy food habits, etc., do contribute a lot to this state of affairs.

Shri Ramanujan,

It is a wrong notion that eating junk foods increases immunity to diseases caused by food infection. If one has very good health, it will be possible to ward off infections but no immunity is generated as in the case of small-pox or chicken-pox. Perhaps Shri Brahmanyan will be able to give a more authentic opinion.

Sri Sangom,

Diabetes, BP, angina, obesity are conditions and not diseases, caused by sedentary or indisciplined life style and occupational stress. They were there in previous generations also. Because of diagnostic limitations and remedial methods many died unattended without knowing the malady.Whereas, diseases are pathological conditions caused by infective organism or genetic defects. Interestingly most of the diseases are cured by body's unique immune system. Which produces antibodies when it detects intrusion of antigens such as microorganisms like harmful bacteria, fungi, parasites,viruses and chemicals. Medicines only accelerate curative strength of antibodies.

I agree that eating of junk food will not increase immunity, instead harm the digestive system and may cause food poisoning. It is claimed that specific cases natural immunity may increase due to conditions of environment. Dietary discipline will certainly add to the general well being of the individual. Our scriptures give a number of guidelines on the subject.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Sri Sangom,

Diabetes, BP, angina, obesity are conditions and not diseases, caused by sedentary or indisciplined life style and occupational stress. They were there in previous generations also. Because of diagnostic limitations and remedial methods many died unattended without knowing the malady.Whereas, diseases are pathological conditions caused by infective organism or genetic defects. Interestingly most of the diseases are cured by body's unique immune system. Which produces antibodies when it detects intrusion of antigens such as microorganisms like harmful bacteria, fungi, parasites,viruses and chemicals. Medicines only accelerate curative strength of antibodies.

I agree that eating of junk food will not increase immunity, instead harm the digestive system and may cause food poisoning. It is claimed that specific cases natural immunity may increase due to conditions of environment. Dietary discipline will certainly add to the general well being of the individual. Our scriptures give a number of guidelines on the subject.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.
Shri Brahmanyan,

Thank you for correcting me. But in some article it was written that diabetes is caused by some organism? Is it wrong?

Shri Brahmanyan,

Thank you for correcting me. But in some article it was written that diabetes is caused by some organism? Is it wrong?

Sri Sangom,

By definition Diabetes mellitus is "A metabolic syndrome characterized by chronic hyperglycemia with disturbances of carbohydrate, fat and protein metabolism, resulting from improper insulin secretion and/or inefficient insulin action.” Interestingly it is only a metabolic derangement which can be regulated easily with diet, exercise and medication if it is found early stages. I am not a medical student but to my knowledge, diabetes is a genetic disorder with the father’s and mother’s genes determining person's diabetic status.

(Sir)Frederick Grant Banting (1891-1941) Canadian Medical Scientist was the Co-Discoverer of Insulin in 1922. Till then there was no cure for diabetes. I have seen a wonderful movie "Glory Enough for All" on the discovery of insulin.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
hello all,
Thankyou and i also feel the fine for a dead lizard is too small an amount.

having been married for seven year , been in US for two years ,i can tell you out of experience, We (i and my husband) also bought tin/canned tomatoes when we were there, it was easy and less work :).

After a few months of consuming the tin/canned stuff ,we were shocked to learn that we landed having acidity because we ate canned/tin stuff :( , an Ayurveda doctor in india told us that the root cause for all digestive disorders was the canned/bakery stuff and the preservatives.

We have stopped eating things like puff , cream buns and all that is crispy from the bakery, it has helped and since the topic is here wanted to share it.The lard , a kind of fat used in the bakery is not only bad but it causes cancer.

Old is gold , our food is a complete food. Fresh , easy and recipes which has come down from ages,our ancestors ate simple food , lived long and were healthy,why do we need to experiment with ourselves ??

I too occasionally feel like eating pizza , i make chapatis ,half cook them , top them with a variety of vegetables grated together season it with italian spices , spread this mixture along with few grated strands of cheese ,bake it for like 10 mins at 180 deg and it tastes great !!

We have a 50000 year old heritage , let us appreciate ,propagate and follow it :), it worked then it work for ever.

Lakshmi

hello all,
Thankyou and i also feel the fine for a dead lizard is too small an amount.

having been married for seven year , been in US for two years ,i can tell you out of experience, We (i and my husband) also bought tin/canned tomatoes when we were there, it was easy and less work :).

After a few months of consuming the tin/canned stuff ,we were shocked to learn that we landed having acidity because we ate canned/tin stuff :( , an Ayurveda doctor in india told us that the root cause for all digestive disorders was the canned/bakery stuff and the preservatives.

We have stopped eating things like puff , cream buns and all that is crispy from the bakery, it has helped and since the topic is here wanted to share it.The lard , a kind of fat used in the bakery is not only bad but it causes cancer.

Old is gold , our food is a complete food. Fresh , easy and recipes which has come down from ages,our ancestors ate simple food , lived long and were healthy,why do we need to experiment with ourselves ??

I too occasionally feel like eating pizza , i make chapatis ,half cook them , top them with a variety of vegetables grated together season it with italian spices , spread this mixture along with few grated strands of cheese ,bake it for like 10 mins at 180 deg and it tastes great !!

We have a 50000 year old heritage , let us appreciate ,propagate and follow it :), it worked then it work for ever.

Lakshmi

Smt. Lakshmi,

good that you brought 'lard' in to this thread. for brahmins here lard is "pig's fat" processed in special way. this is what wikipedia says-

Lard is pig fat in both its rendered and unrendered forms. Lard was commonly used in many cuisines as a cooking fat or shortening, or as a spread similar to butter. Its use in contemporary cuisine has diminished because of health concerns posed by its saturated-fat content and its often negative image; however, many contemporary cooks and bakers favor it over other fats for select uses. The culinary qualities of lard vary somewhat depending on the part of the pig from which the fat was taken and how the lard was processed.

Rendering is a process that converts waste animal tissue into stable, value-added materials. Rendering can refer to any processing of animal byproducts into more useful materials, or more narrowly to the rendering of whole animal fatty tissue into purified fats like lard or tallow. Rendering can be carried out on an industrial, farm, or kitchen scale.
The majority of tissue processed comes from slaughterhouses, but also includes restaurant grease and butcher shop trimmings. This material can include the fatty tissue, bones, and offal, as well as entire carcasses of animals condemned at slaughterhouses, and those that have died on farms (deadstock), in transit, etc. The most common animal sources are beef, pork, sheep, and poultry.
The rendering process simultaneously dries the material and separates the fat from the bone and protein. A rendering process yields a fat commodity (yellow grease, choice white grease, bleachable fancy tallow, etc.) and a protein meal (meat & bone meal, poultry byproduct meal, etc.).
Rendering plants often also handle other materials, such as slaughterhouse blood, feathers and hair, but do so using processes distinct from true rendering.

most jams, jellies, etc. and such preparations have gelatin. it is also from alimals-

Gelatin (spelled gelatine in some Commonwealth countries) is a translucent, colorless, brittle (when dry), nearly tasteless solid substance, derived from the collagen inside animals' skin and bones. It is commonly used as a gelling agent in food, pharmaceuticals, photography, and cosmetic manufacturing.

Gelatin is derived mainly from pork skins, pork and cattle bones, or split cattle hides; contrary to popular belief, cheese is not used.[3]

So, brahmins should not say they are vegetarians if they eat any such items.

buttermilk, curd etc., are good for health. people who use such items live longer they say. also less of stomach cancer etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back