• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

BEWARE BEFORE CHARGING YOUR SMART PHONE

drsundaram

phone.jpg

Beware of juice jacking – A new way to steal your data!

You may have the best and the most costly mobile, however it may not prevent your data being stolen with so much ease as never before. What one needs is just a charging station with power connectivity and a cable.

1579061463775.png

Let me try explaining why I say so….

The power/data cable that we see in public charging stations, provides unauthorized access to attackers during the charging process; leveraging illegitimate access to get our personal information taken away. This is known as Juice Jacking – a type of cyber attack which originates from USB charging port installed at public places such as airports, cafes, bus stands, etc. Once the device is plugged-in and connection is established, it either installs malware or secretively copies sensitive data from a smartphone, tablet, or any other computer device.

The attack could be as simple as extracting all your contact details and private pictures or can be an invasive attack of injecting malicious code directly into your device which can then copy all your passwords of financial data.

Read more at:

Attachments

• 1579061528014.png
    1579061528014.png
    205.4 KB · Views: 313
Before posting articles be sure of your facts.
Like MSKmoortyji did please search snoops.com or other sites.
Otherwise, you tend to post false, misleading, and malicious information, and in the process, come out looking like a ......

Before posting articles be sure of your facts.
Like MSKmoortyji did please search snoops.com or other sites.
Otherwise, you tend to post false, misleading, and malicious information, and in the process, come out looking like a ......
i am not tech savvy enough to do "search" and then post . Even if searched and then placed one day they could be turned our to be false /fake like USFDA releases. i just post with certain reliable refs . Those who want to read please ; others have a right to not to read also and ignore if read . no need to take it seriously to heart or mind. If i am asked not to post or vacate this forum i am too pleased also . no worry. Cool

From snopes.com (which is an internet watch dog for hoax alerts)

Prof.MSK Moorthy ji,

Thank you for the response. I also thank you for the time you spent and the efforts you have taken to find out the fact checking thro snoops etc

What I don’t understand is that there was no comment .. would say an expert opinion...from your side ...perhaps..... you may thought that the article which you published is quite self-explanatory.

I would like quote excerpts of article here:

What's True
"Juice-jacking" is a real security threat. The Los Angeles District Attorney's Office issued an advisory to travelers in November 2019 warning them of the potential dangers of using public USB ports.

What's False
While it is technically possible for crooks to steal information or install malware via public USB ports, this practice doesn't appear to be widespread.

To sum up: Juice-jacking is a genuine security threat, and the LA County District Attorney’s Office did issue an advisory in November 2019 warning travelers against using public USB ports. However, while it’s technically possible to juice-jack a phone, this is not a widespread criminal activity.

LA County District Attorney’s Office did issue an advisory in November 2019.

Why did they issued such an advisory….???

I believe that I should be more careful on my postings and wanted to ensure that my postings/texts add value to the contents of the Forum. I also know that I am being judged by the members thro the contents of my postings.

I really appreciate Prasad Ji for issuing a sort of Advisory Note

Honestly, I now have a question to ask:

Could you or anyone else, kindly explain to a layman like me, as to the correctness of the contents posted by me. Are they totally fake .....??

Last edited:
i am not tech savvy enough to do "search" and then post . Even if searched and then placed one day they could be turned our to be false /fake like USFDA releases. i just post with certain reliable refs . Those who want to read please ; others have a right to not to read also and ignore if read . no need to take it seriously to heart or mind. If i am asked not to post or vacate this forum i am too pleased also . no worry. Cool. Even if were to be tech savvy i do not wish to defray my time and dont have energy to do fact check to 100% adn then only to report. choice ever rests with the revered readers.

Prof.MSK Moorthy ji,

Thank you for the response. I also thank you for the time you spent and the efforts you have taken to find out the fact checking thro snoops etc

What I don’t understand is that there was no comment .. would say an expert opinion...from your side ...perhaps..... you may thought that the article which you published is quite self-explanatory.

I would like quote excerpts of article here:

What's True
"Juice-jacking" is a real security threat. The Los Angeles District Attorney's Office issued an advisory to travelers in November 2019 warning them of the potential dangers of using public USB ports.

What's False
While it is technically possible for crooks to steal information or install malware via public USB ports, this practice doesn't appear to be widespread.

To sum up: Juice-jacking is a genuine security threat, and the LA County District Attorney’s Office did issue an advisory in November 2019 warning travelers against using public USB ports. However, while it’s technically possible to juice-jack a phone, this is not a widespread criminal activity.

LA County District Attorney’s Office did issue an advisory in November 2019.

Why did they issued such an advisory….???

I believe that I should be more careful on my postings and wanted to ensure that my postings/texts add value to the contents of the Forum. I also know that I am being judged by the members thro the contents of my postings.

I really appreciate Prasad Ji for issuing a sort of Advisory Note

Honestly, I now have a question to ask:

Could you or anyone else, kindly explain to a layman like me, as to the correctness of the contents posted by me. Are they totally fake .....??

Yes, there are crooks who are out there to steal your data, privacy, money, etc. The security risk is increasing every day. You must guard against these kinds of criminals.

Just as we lock our house and car against "gentleman" thieves, we must take precautions against common crooks. We can not protect our selves against Terrorists.
We do not live in Fort Knox (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Bullion_Depository). There has to be a degree of reasonableness otherwise our life will be chaos.
We walk out of our house into the main city, some of us will not return, but we can not remain in the safety of our house.
Similarly, we board a plane, planes do meet with accidents, that does not mean we will not fly.
WE hand over our credit card in every store for them to charge, there are crooks who can take an image of the card and misuse it, but generally, it does not happen.

But some of us have a habit of posting misleading information just to scare others, and when confronted they immediately shrug all responsibility.
It is like the case of "boy crying wolf, one too many times".

Yes, there are crooks who are out there to steal your data, privacy, money, etc. The security risk is increasing every day. You must guard against these kinds of criminals.

Just as we lock our house and car against "gentleman" thieves, we must take precautions against common crooks. We can not protect our selves against Terrorists.
We do not live in Fort Knox (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Bullion_Depository). There has to be a degree of reasonableness otherwise our life will be chaos.
We walk out of our house into the main city, some of us will not return, but we can not remain in the safety of our house.
Similarly, we board a plane, planes do meet with accidents, that does not mean we will not fly.
WE hand over our credit card in every store for them to charge, there are crooks who can take an image of the card and misuse it, but generally, it does not happen.

But some of us have a habit of posting misleading information just to scare others, and when confronted they immediately shrug all responsibility.
It is like the case of "boy crying wolf, one too many times".

Thanks you sir for the lucid explanation....... I truly appreciate your response to my query. Thanks again. :)

Namaskaram. I am suggested by one of my relatives that, if anyone charges the cellphone in a public charging platform, with the cellphone in aeroplane / switch off mode, "juice jacking'' is not possible. Could someone throw light on this aspect please.

Namaskaram. I am suggested by one of my relatives that, if anyone charges the cellphone in a public charging platform, with the cellphone in aeroplane / switch off mode, "juice jacking'' is not possible. Could someone throw light on this aspect please.

It is always a good idea to charge your phone in airplane mode. It charges faster.
It does not protect you from "juice Jacking". The "juice jacking" is due to the fact that you are connected to the USB port.

Could any member who is a techno savvy can highlight the safety of using Google pay, Paytm etc for making payments?

If you use cloud you are prone to be hacked.
Even if you disconnect from all your devices, and go primitive, your data os out there in the cloud. Banks use it, government agencies use it. So you can not avoid being hacked, it is just a matter of time.

Yes, you must be vigilant all the time, but you may still end up being a victim.

We might think we are savvy, but the hackers and dark web is 10 steps ahead of us.
If you have to trust others then it is better to trust a large organization like Google, Amazon, Banks, Government, etc, rather than fly by night organizations.

Latest ads

Back