• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Being Vegetarian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sri Sridharan Ji,

I bet there are more non vegetarians turning in to vegetarians today than vice versa, for various reasons.

My comment was intended to tell you that there is no intrinsic moral superiority of one over another. Only ideologues judge others on the basis of their ideology. There are so many real issues to discuss in the societal arena, it seems to me that such personal choices like eating, drinking, dressing in a particular manner, language one knows and understands, or even wearing a komanam should rather be left to a person's choice. In any of these areas, 'one size does not fit all' (pardon the pun).

It then becomes 'moralizing' and I am always weary of the moralizers. They quote the good books to justify their moralizing, but if look behind the covers, most of them do not follow what they preach.

'Take care of yourself and the world will take care of itself' said Ramana Maharishi (in a different context). I try to follow this edict and not judge others as long as they do no harm to others.

Regards,
KRS

The Roman essayist Plutarch (C 56-120) in his writing on 'On the Eating of Animal Flesh' denies that humans are naturally carnivorous and argues that indulgence in a flesh diet " makes us spiritually coarse and gross by reason of satiety and surfiet". In addition, he says the cruelty with which food animals are treated brutalizes the human character,rendering it callous to the suffering of people and animals alike.

How far our meat eating brethren accept his argument is a matter of conjecture.

S.Sridharan

To All: KRSji very goodreply,sadasivam sridharan you are right,in a previous birth the chicken was butcher and inthis birth reverse. Every nonveg eaters to think one second before buying meat,chicken etc,that how much pain will be their for those animals,but a small injection needle give us pain, just a moment this will come to their mind they themself will stop eating nonveg. RV sir regarding Suraikai was once growing in Huts for protecting heat, so they were used by others and mostly given to neighbours as free, now a days cultevated in fields and got a commercial value, in my young age at Salem only sunday my grand mother used to cook baby onians sambar, suraikai Kuttu, potato fry,she was lived more than 60 at bombay and the cooking will take at errentankattu room in backyard. the cooking vessles also seprate. s.r.k.

Eating habits is a personal choice and let us not advocate on that. However purely from an environmental protection angle one has to see the reasoning. After all we have to protect `Mother Earth'.

Please visit the following website of Dr.Pachauri, Nobel Prize winner for Environment Protection.

http://infochangeindia.org/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=7333

Dr.Pachauri says `Meat Consumption' produces 18% of green house gas emissions as compared 13% emission by automobiles.

All of us have a responsibility to protect environment. We have to control green house gas emissions. Reduction in meat consumption will definitely help the cause.

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

Dear Sri Sridharan Ji, and Sri esarkey Ji,

I totally disagree with you both.

Dear Sri Sridharan Ji,

I have been living in the USA for the past 40 years and I have been traveling widely internationally during that time. I have come across scores and scores of meat/seafood eaters during this time, who I would stand up against most of the vegetarians I know in terms of their concern for humanity. Plutarch is wrong.

Was Gandhi wrong? No he was not. People who do not eat meat based on their own conscience have every right to deny themselves of the food that our body was made out by Him to process. Non vegetarianism is 'natural' for the humans who are omnivores and not the other way around.

Dear sri esarkey Ji,

Gita tells us that even if we kill, if it is in the line of 'dharma' no negative karma is accrued. This is why a judge who sentences a criminal to death in the course of his duty or a butcher who kills to prepare food are not going to accrue any negative karma. For non-vegetarians 'Konna Paavam Thinna Pocchu' (the sin of killing is washed away if you eat it) applies. So, it seems to me your theory that if one kills an animal for food, one would come back in next life as that animal is patently wrong. Am I wrong in saying this?

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
To KRS JI, Yes Sir, from your view I am just sideline few.Our sccriptures says that for every action there is a reaction,like that we have pay our dues. Every birth every Soul is attracted by the Kal, (in western Philosphy no Kal). The Soul is associated with Mind and Kal Jal and influence makeing things.We all are acting acordinly. sir no human having any right to kill animals,in any form or for any reson. All our saints teaches us nonkilling strategic.Our scriptures says 84lak species are in the world created by the creator.SantMat sayesThere is a law in place that governs everything in the lower planes of this Creation,it is the universal Law of Karma,it is as the subtle as the Creator Himself,and it simply states that for every action-that is,every thought,word or deed-there is a just and equal consequence."You owe it to yourself".Robert Hutchinson in an address to the British Medical Association in 1930 said
Vegetarianism is harmless enough
though it is apt ti fill a man with
wind and self-righteousness! regards s/r/k.

While meat eating is entirely a personal choice, there are more reasons to be vegetarian these days.

In the past, meat was cut fresh and eaten soon after. There were no fridges, no preservatives, etc. Animals ate green leaves and grass, they were not raised in poultries and fed with hormone laden pellets to quicken their muscle mass / growth.

These days when one goes to any fast food chain to eat meat in any form, they consume preserved meat loaded with nitrites, preservatives and all sorts of things that contribute to stuff that can scare anyone off meat-eating.

Also, meat eating is purported to raise cortisol levels (when one is stressed or angry, the level of cortisol raises in the blood, makes one feel irritable, stressed, and raises BP). There was a study that showed cortisol levels are higher in grown adults even if their moms had eaten a pound of meat a day when they were inside their mother's womb: BBC NEWS | Health | High meat diet 'can stress baby' and Diet and Nutrition: You Are What Your Mother Ate

When i asked a guru he said anything in moderation is fine (but ofcourse not preservative-loaded stuff). Meat in small quantities (perhaps a small quantity in one or two months) may help a person be aggresive (controllable type, as a rajasic quality) but ofourse when anything is overdone, it does more harm than good. Too much of any kind of food produces tamasa gunam - a 100 jilebis can produce the same tamasic laziness and glutonny (a form of greed) as does meat.

As regards brahmins and meat, came across an interesting blog article that now works only in cached: Ramaswamy Sastry: Brahmins were non vegetarians until recently (a controversial topic i wud think). Also came across some interesting pointers on the topic in Questioning Ramayanas by Paula Richman.

Regarding beef-eating, i think the shift was more to support an increasingly agrarian economy in times when a man lived off cattle to support every single need of his. The reverence is / was for a form of life (cow) that helped support life (man). Here is an interesting but again, a questionable and controversial article: A Brahmin's Cow Tales - History of Beef Eating in India by Hindus

Last edited:
This is my first post on this forum, so please bear with me if I repeat anything that others have said. The eating of food is a personal choice, based on surroundings, traditions etc. I try not to criticise other's choices. So this is my personal story on why I became a vegetarian. (experiential knowledge, not book knowledge)
1) Growing up on a farm, I witnessed butchering of pigs, cattle, and chickens. every single time I found it disgusting, and often ran away.
2) From my father's urging, at age 16, I shot and killed a deer. I hated myself for awhile afterward.
3) At age 18, a couple of friends were experimenting with vegetarianism. I decided to join them, and told myself I would try it for a month, decide how I felt, and then make a decision. I haven't eaten meat since. Why? I felt better! I felt lighter, had more energy, my digestive tract was moving, which all combined made me feel more spiritual as well.

Only later did I learn of all the other reasons for being a vegetarian.

Aum namasivaya

Being a vegetarian is a good way of life.There is no guilt complex associated with it.Karma truly works.As eastern mind has written,when you see or witness the the actual brutality in killing animals,fowls,sea-food,believe me people will be horrified.I wonder why Vegetarian Organisations do not promote visual aids like movies depicting the full,process of how meat is packaged.It a horrid thing to see animals howling,wailing,twitching to death.But then its survival of the fittest.As Lord Krishna says,there are people with Sathvikam,Rajasikam,Tamasikam gunam regardless of one being a vegetarian or non-vegetarian.The Lord indeed is a wise one for us.Incidentally our puranams says our Lords were meat eaters.Thank You!.

gopal.

Though we know that there is no point in elaborating about the preferability of taking up vegetarianism,lest meat eating brethren would think that it is a gross interference in their personal choice and freedom, let us only pray Almighty that He blesses the people with a change of heart as it happened in the case of Mr.Eastern Mind.

S.Sridharan

Eastern Mind,

Your post is very reminiscent of someone who also gave up meat eating after inadverently seeing a chicken being slaughtered with one swift stoke of a huge knife.

But then man appears to be designed to kill, to protect himself. The meekest and mildest of wo/men can retaliate and attack his / her aggressor, when pushed to the extreme.

In the case of military folk, they have no choice but to kill the enemy in what is considered defence of their nation, their people and themselves. What if they do not have the ability to kill....perhaps meat was allowed for such people..

Your post also can make one feel that gunas are truly inherent, inborn...though being the son of a man who can hunt, you are unable to bring yourself to kill or consume meat...your prarabdha for this birth appears to be that of the sattva guna....am told it (the guna for each birth) changes for different births.

Nice to have you around.

Best wishes.

Eastern Mind,

Your post is very reminiscent of someone who also gave up meat eating after inadverently seeing a chicken being slaughtered with one swift stoke of a huge knife.

But then man appears to be designed to kill, to protect himself. The meekest and mildest of wo/men can retaliate and attack his / her aggressor, when pushed to the extreme.

In the case of military folk, they have no choice but to kill the enemy in what is considered defence of their nation, their people and themselves. What if they do not have the ability to kill....perhaps meat was allowed for such people..

Your post also can make one feel that gunas are truly inherent, inborn...though being the son of a man who can hunt, you are unable to bring yourself to kill or consume meat...your prarabdha for this birth appears to be that of the sattva guna....am told it (the guna for each birth) changes for different births.

Nice to have you around.

Best wishes.

Compared to a bear or a lion, even a weasel, we are not at all designed to kill. Our only design for killing is our brain, and hence to develop weapons or tools. We couldn't even catch a fish easily with our bare hands.

Regarding the military, this is a tough decision. Believing in ahimsa as I do, I take it quite seriously. The problem is in the word 'just' in a just war. Personally, before going to war, I would have to take much due consideration. There would indeed be a time though, as there would on a personal level as if someone were attacking my helpless child. Remember, in almost all wars, each side feels God is on their side. Lets take the Sri Lankan situation for example. The Tamils thought they were freedom fighters while GOSL did everything they could to have them labelled terrorists. In my opinion, both were wrong, and a continued dialogue, or mediation should have happened. Dialogue by reasonable peoiple can go a very long way.

Aum Namasivaya

Compared to a bear or a lion, even a weasel, we are not at all designed to kill. Our only design for killing is our brain, and hence to develop weapons or tools. We couldn't even catch a fish easily with our bare hands.

Regarding the military, this is a tough decision. Believing in ahimsa as I do, I take it quite seriously. The problem is in the word 'just' in a just war. Personally, before going to war, I would have to take much due consideration. There would indeed be a time though, as there would on a personal level as if someone were attacking my helpless child. Remember, in almost all wars, each side feels God is on their side. Lets take the Sri Lankan situation for example. The Tamils thought they were freedom fighters while GOSL did everything they could to have them labelled terrorists. In my opinion, both were wrong, and a continued dialogue, or mediation should have happened. Dialogue by reasonable peoiple can go a very long way.

Aum Namasivaya

Ahimsa is the best path to solve all the problems. Mahatma Gandhi took the ahimsa path and the mighty British empire didn't had any answer. If he taken violent path, British would have handled him very easily. Unfortunately, in the Sri Lankan case, almost all the democratic Tamil Leaders like Appadurai Amrithalingam, Siva Chidambaram and others were killed by LTTE and ultimately LTTE was also demolished.

Probably the dead Tamil Leaders who were following the democratic path would have achieved much better result, much earlier also as compared to the present position.

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

Last edited:
Satyagraha, which has ahimsa as the underlying principle is the most powerful tool for social transformation. It is the most violent of any revolutionary path, but the violence inflicted on the opponent is not physical but mental and spiritual. It uses the most powerful emotion of a human being - guilt - for transformation. Incidentally, 'Jihad' is the term that is supposed to represent this - not how it is meant today.

I agree with Sri Venkataramani Ji about the Sri Lanka issue. With today's global reach on news that travels instantly via, print, TV and internet, Satyagraha is the most appropriate tool to fight injustice.

I wish the Palestineans had adopted this method to fight for their rights. They would have already succeeded in their goal. But then, I forget. Their real goal is not to have a seperate state but to destry Israel.

Regards,
KRS

With today in my mind,i can think of several countries,whoese economy depend upon having internal and external chaos prevailing for selling arms,ammunition technology.That being said,Gandhiji is a deivam for me.I personally think,if not for him,India would not be there.Thank you.

gopal.

The great depression of 1930s resulted in World war. This time also the global finacial crisis may result in a world war type situation.

Both USA and French economies are thriving only on Military equipment sale. Unless there is conflict in the rest of the world, these economies cannot prosper.

USA particularly is globally strong now only on the military equipment. They are not at all competitve in other products and services in the present global environment. Still USA is the only country which manufactures state of art war equipments and no other country can match it.

If US economy has to get out of the present financial mess, war elsewhere in the world is the best option.

We (India) didn't get provoked by 26/11 attack on Mumbai. We have to react in a matured manner for every provocation from our neighbouring countries.

Ahimsa is the best path for prosperity.

ToRv and gopal: Ahimsa is best but Thannai kollavarum pusuvai um kollallam , just because of non-violence theory we last our motherland to Pak,china,E.Bengal. Our policy will not suit todays warmined envoirmental neighbouring countries also we must fightback and show our strengh. Because of our policy we witnessed DEC6th Babri demollistion by a section of Bangala desh Muslims( BJP and other org's just witnessed and kept Mum).Bombay attack etc. Ahimsa was not helped even Gandhiji from the cluteches of conspiracy from his own near and dear planed his murder.(Nathuram godsai is a just tool). We must fight against each and every thing for survival. s.r.k.

ToRv and gopal: Ahimsa is best but Thannai kollavarum pusuvai um kollallam , just because of non-violence theory we last our motherland to Pak,china,E.Bengal. Our policy will not suit todays warmined envoirmental neighbouring countries also we must fightback and show our strengh. Because of our policy we witnessed DEC6th Babri demollistion by a section of Bangala desh Muslims( BJP and other org's just witnessed and kept Mum).Bombay attack etc. Ahimsa was not helped even Gandhiji from the cluteches of conspiracy from his own near and dear planed his murder.(Nathuram godsai is a just tool). We must fight against each and every thing for survival. s.r.k.

The proverb which you quoted is applicable only in the context of Self Defence. Partition with Pakistan (subsequently Bangladesh split from Pakistan) happened more than 60 years back. Before British rule there was no India. There were several small rulers. Even after indepndence, it was Sardar Patel's iron hand which united the present India.

We never had proper border with China and now only some series negotiations are going on between the two Governments.

Your theory that Bangladeshi muslims demolished Babri Masjid is news to me.

Entire world has reacted in our favour on Bombay attack and it is a great diplomatic victory.

Mahatma Gandhiji's murder case is now closed and let us not reopen it now.

I earnestly feel Ahimsa is the best tool to fight for the cause and if you want to have different opinion, you can have, no problem.

Our scriptures provide four methods to resolve conflicts: Sama, Dana, Bheda, Dhanda. The first three are based on non violence while the fourth one necessarily leads to violence. These methods are to be progressively applied to resolve any conflict.

It is the genius of Gandhi Ji, he was able to acheive his goals employing only the first three methods. But it should be noted that the first three methods work only with an opponent with conscience and a 'civilized' outlook. Thank god, he was not 'knocked off' at the start of his movement. I am certain an opponent like the Nazis (or the fascists, communists etc.) would have packed him off to the other world, before his name became known. Non violence works only when the opponent is civilized and thus feels the pressure of the presence of international opinion nowadays.

This is why I think that keeping a strong military as a defence force is very important for a nation. Because, I do not think that non violence methods will work all the time. After all, is this not the backdrop for Gita Upadesam?

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sri esarkey Ji,

I asked you a very specific question. I see that you have not answered it, while prefering to answer other questions that came after mine. Please answer my question, so that I can understand your views. Thank you.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sri Sridharan Ji, and Sri esarkey Ji,

I totally disagree with you both.

Dear Sri Sridharan Ji,

I have been living in the USA for the past 40 years and I have been traveling widely internationally during that time. I have come across scores and scores of meat/seafood eaters during this time, who I would stand up against most of the vegetarians I know in terms of their concern for humanity. Plutarch is wrong.

Was Gandhi wrong? No he was not. People who do not eat meat based on their own conscience have every right to deny themselves of the food that our body was made out by Him to process. Non vegetarianism is 'natural' for the humans who are omnivores and not the other way around.

Dear sri esarkey Ji,

Gita tells us that even if we kill, if it is in the line of 'dharma' no negative karma is accrued. This is why a judge who sentences a criminal to death in the course of his duty or a butcher who kills to prepare food are not going to accrue any negative karma. For non-vegetarians 'Konna Paavam Thinna Pocchu' (the sin of killing is washed away if you eat it) applies. So, it seems to me your theory that if one kills an animal for food, one would come back in next life as that animal is patently wrong. Am I wrong in saying this?

Regards,
KRS

A Human Brain can justify anything and everything !

Many will agree with me ( if they don't , i'll deal with them , later !) that our human brain is so strong that it can instantly switch over and commence justification in line with the individual's decision , or the line of thought ! Soon within micro seconds , the back end of the brain starts searching the in-built database to search for points favouring the line of decided thought and the chanakya intellect which has developed over years of experience supports and presents these bullets to the receiver , convincing him and making him speechless !
This will be personified if the listener is a passive person and has spent most part of his life shaking his head for anything and everything !

Now as you may be wondering what relevance this prelude has to this thread , the following will get you enlightened !

Many of us as brahmins , believe within ourselves that Eating Non-Veg is a Sin , by itself , and there may be a few of us who shall sacrifice their lifes ( or other people's life's ) , rather than eating Non-veg .

But what to do , some get into the habit due to friends compulsion , some due to dire necessity and some , just to defy and show that they are in a way different from the rest ( heroism !) ... (Any more reasons --- please state !)

So the next question comes , when i have already tasted and relished it , why should i opt to leave it ! After all they say it is going to be the same punishment for a single murder or many more ! and so they continue !

And when they continue , they have the need to justify their actions and do that conveniently ! God Bless the poor animals !

there is no harm in eating meat, but only if you can kill the animal, gut it and cook it may you eat it. you have no idea how animals are bred in industrial farming. also, when you do eat meat, do not wear your "poonal"....

United nations environmental division says one fifth of the green house gas emission is due to meat production.

A 2006 United Nations report found that the meat industry produces more greenhouse gases than all the SUVs, cars, trucks, planes, and ships in the world combined

GoVeg.com // Meat and the Environment // Pollution // Fight Climate Change with Diet Change: Go Vegetarian!

Please visit the above website and see the details.

Is it not our duty to protect the environment?

Please think and act

Dear sir,
Earlier days there may be non vegitarian 'cause the cultural was not there. Vegitarian should be practised for 2 reasons.
1) If your aiming for mukthi i.e next step for seeing or to become god this has to be practised.Because for veg people it will easy to go step by step. If you meditate itself you will come know what we doing is wrong i.e having NV that will obstract your path to divine place.
2) Second only comes jeeva karunyam. Killing another life is sin just for sack of building our body.
Scitifically if kill goat / pig, the state at which the goat / pig died will be in that blood & flesh which will make us also the same way. u can c a goat b4 its going to cut it wil b in full fear that will b in its blood & flesh.

So it is better to avoid all NV even egg.

At the bottom line,its survival of the fittest.When you watch planet earth,discovery channels etc,it get even more amplified,as how each and every species,kills one another for food.Food is the survival instinct as otherwise one cannot live.All the rest about sin,evil,gore..etc about eating meat is a hallucination of the mind only.There are tons of human beings from the abrahamic faith who reach gods feet following their scriptures.I hope hindus especially indians refrain from having a convulted idea of non-veggies.To not kill means,even in mind,one should not kill,that is actual ahimsa,as explained in jain scriptures.Thank you!.

gopal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back