• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Aum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shri Sundachu,

Welcome to this Forum and wish you many, many enjoyable discussions.

Before you start chanting AUM, why not find out whether anyone chanting it has attained old age (say, 70 years) without wrinkles on the face? AFAIK, many mysterious effects are said for chanting AUM but so far I have not come across the "Pranavam" preventing wrinkles on the face.

Sir,
Thank u for the reply. After starting the chanting of AUM , people say that there is a glow on your face and want to know the reason for it. They don't know that i am chanting AUM.
SUNDARARAJAN.
T Sir,

Hi Sundachu,
Welcome to this forum.I can explain the meaning as I have understood.It means A,U,MA.a for paramathma,Ma for Jeevthma and u means the Jeevathma is Adimai to the Paramathma.Jeevthma is the property of the paramathma.So all that the Jeevathma to do is to please His master The Paramathma by doing service to Him and His Adiyaars.
Alwan

What is the difference between "OM" and "AUM" ? Is it just the spelling? Which is the correct way to spell it?

What is the difference between "OM" and "AUM" ? Is it just the spelling? Which is the correct way to spell it?

AUM ॐ is a symbol that is made up of A kara, U kara and M kara and its Chandrabindu.. the moon sign we see with a dot that denotes that the previous vowel is nasalized.

AUM can be written in also like this in Sanskrit:
ओम्,(OM)

Tamil AUM we all know..its the very symbol of TB forum which spells out as OM also.

Some says that it is The sound of Our Earth.

If you go to Tiruchendur Temple there will be a Hole on the Wall facing the sea.

If you observe your Ears in to that hole you can Feel Very Clearly The Om Karam via the Sea Waves.

We can observe Clearly that The sound will be like a Saint Chanting Ohm on the other side...

Has any one Experienced This ?

I have experienced it many times in my life..

If you go to Tiruchendur Temple there will be a Hole on the Wall facing the sea.

If you observe your Ears in to that hole you can Feel Very Clearly The Om Karam via the Sea Waves.

We can observe Clearly that The sound will be like a Saint Chanting Ohm on the other side...

If you sit in a place where there is hardly any sound for example late night in your car alone with all windows shut you will hear a sound which gets louder and it has a humming tone almost like the humming of AUM.
Thats the blood supply in our inner ears and suprisingly even the sound of blood flowing in our ears sounds like "AUM"
I guess that's the Sound of Existence best heard in Silence.

Hello Dr RK,
I went through the explanation Given by Prof.Anilkumar on 'Aumkar'. It is giving a totally different meaning from what I have understood. I only wonder How Sanathana Dharma has different Interpretations on various topics.Its Endurance is Great.The wonder is with such vast differences it still exists.
GREAT.
Alwan

Hello Dr RK,
I went through the explanation Given by Prof.Anilkumar on 'Aumkar'. It is giving a totally different meaning from what I have understood. I only wonder How Sanathana Dharma has different Interpretations on various topics.Its Endurance is Great.The wonder is with such vast differences it still exists.
GREAT.
Alwan

Ekam Sat Viprah Bahuda Vadanti I guess.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]

The following taken from
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]'The Concise Light on Yoga' - BKS Iyengar[/FONT] gives an intereting reading on AUM
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]According to 'Sri Vinoba Bhave, the Latin word 'Omne' and the Sanskrit word 'Aum' are both derived from the same root meaning 'all' and both words convey the concepts of omniscience, omnipresence and omnipotence. Another word for Aum is 'pranava', which is derived from the root 'nu' meaning 'to praise', to which is added the prefix 'pra' denoting superiority. The word, therefore, means the best praise or the best prayer.

The symbol AUM is composed of three syllables, namely the letters A, U, M, and when written has a crescent and dot on its top. A few instances of the various interpretations given to it may be mentioned here to convey its meaning.

The letter A symbolises the conscious or waking state ( jagratha-avastha ), the letter U the dream state ( svapna-avstha ) and the letter M the dreamless sleep state ( susupta-avastha ) of the mind and spirit. The entire symbol, together with the crescent and the dot, stands for the fourth state ( turiya-avastha ), which combines all these states and transcends them. This is the state of samadhi (1).

The letters A, U and M symbolise respectively speech ( vak ), the mind ( manas ) and the breath of life ( prana ), while the entire symbol stands for the living spirit, which is but a portion of the divine spirit.

The three letters also represent the dimensions of length, breadth and depth, while the entire symbol stands for the perfect man ( a sthita-prajna ), one whose wisdom is firmly established in the divine.

They represent the three genders, masculine, feminine and neuter, while the entire symbol stands for the Creator, who transcends the limitations of time.

They stand for the three gunas or qualities of sattva, rajas and tamas, while the whole symbol represents a gunatita, one who has transcended and gone beyond the pull of the gunas.

The letters correspond to the three tenses - past, present and future - while the entire symbol stands for the Creator, who transcends the limitations of time.

They also stand for the teaching imparted by the mother, the father and the Guru respectively. The entire symbol represents Brahma Vidya, the knowledge of the Self, the teaching which is imperishable.

The A, U and M depict the three stages of yogic discipline, namely, asana (2), pranayama (3) and pratyahara (4). The entire symbol represents samadhi (1), the goal for which the three stages are the steps.

They represent the triad of Divinity, namely, Brahma - the creator, Visnu - the Maintainer, and Siva - the Destroyer of the universe. The whole symbol is said to represent Brahman from which the universe emanates, has its growth and fruition and into which it merges in the end. It does not grow or change. Many change and pass, but Brahman is the One that ever remains unchanged.

The letters A, U and M also stand for the mantra 'Tat Twam Asi' ( 'That Thou Art' ), the realisation of man's divinity within himself. The entire symbol stands for this realisation, which liberates the human spirit from the confines of his body, mind, intellect and ego.

After realising the importance of AUM, the yogi focusses his attention on his beloved Deity adding AUM to the name of the Lord. The word AUM being too vast and too abstract, he unifies his senses, will, intellect, mind and reason by focussing on the name of the Lord and adding the word AUM with one pointed devotion and so experiences the feeling and meaning of the mantra.

The yogi recalls the verses of the Mundakopanisad : "Taking as a bow the great weapon of the Upanisad, one should put upon it an arrow sharpened by meditation. Stretching it with a thought directed to the essence of That, penetrate the Imperishable as the mark, my friend. The mystic syllable AUM is the bow. The arrow is the Self ( Atma ). Brahman is the target. By the undistracted man is It penetrated. One should come to be in It, as the arrow in the mark."

(1) samadhi - a state of super-consciousness brought about by profound meditation, in which the individual aspirant ( sadhaka ) becomes one with the object of his meditation - Paramatma or the Universal Spirit.
(2) asana - posture
(3) pranayama - rhythmic control of the breath
(4) pratyahara - withdrawal and emancipation of the miind from the domination of the senses and exterior objec

OHM or AUM MANTRA has its own effect . it is said. Can anyone enlighten me on the method of chanting and the number of times it has to be recited. ..............
You would have got enough enlightenment by now... What I don't understand is this: Why is AUM angry?? :noidea:

Hello Mrs.RR,
I think AUM is angry because only few people are Chanting and not many.
Alwan

I have experienced it just one time in my life.

It was in the year 2007, before I left for Dubai from Channai. I was on a 5 days tour to Thirunallar, Thiru Nageswaram, Uppliappn, Swamimali, Aalangudi and at last to Tiruchendur. That was my first visit to Tiruchendur and I am been mesmerized by the divinity that I could experience. What a wonderful landmark temple along the sea!!.

Took bath at around 6am in the sea, got ready and participated in Abhishekam. While doing "Pradhakshanai", I was told about this hole and we experienced listening to it...

Arulmigu Subramaniya Swami is said to confer the grace of Dhakshinamurthy to his devotees..

Hello Dr RK,
GREAT.
Alwan

Shri talwan,

Long ago I learned that "AUM" has 1000 meaning. One of which is "Welcome to GOD"

Hello Mrs.RR,
I think AUM is angry because only few people are Chanting and not many.
Alwan

If u remove A from AUM, it is UM in Tamil and when this UM is expanded it is UMNA MUNJI. meaning a face with anger. So when u r in the UM state u get angry and not when u will be saying AUM!

Renuka said it it very eloquently in the earlier post.
1. Physically with mouth wide open the sound we make is AAAAAAAA.
2. Mouth half open we make the sound UUUUUUUUUUU.
3. with mouth closed we make the sound MMMMMMMMMMM.

So AUM is the entire range of human sound. When ever you want to represent an entirety it represents GOD.

Download: www.eType1.com/e3.php?E002d1
It is good that you gave a reply. But what i want to know how many times one has to chant it and the efficacy of chanting it.
sundararajan.

I dont think there is any fixed rule as how many times one should chant AUM.
Just chant it for God and when we look forward too much for any results the beauty of AUM or even any mantra is lost.
Chanting with only God in the mind makes one glow from within and I guess that's the Tejas you are looking for.

The beauty of the our religion is that it can be customized for every need, unlike other religion which thinks one size fits all. But this customization expects some work by the followers and also expects then to be rational being. So Samatan dharma is for intelligent person only, others will get lost in the possible choices.

1 for lord siva
2 for goddess shakthi
3 for lord guru
4 for lord ganesha
5 for lord murugan
6 for goddess lakshmi
7 for lord vishnu
8 for lord hanuman
9 for lord brahman.

the above is number of chants for smarthas only :)

I use the Pranav Mantra for my meditation. I do not count nor am I looking for material gains.

I do not have any particular affection for an Individual as GM/GW but accept a teaching if I like it.
In The words of Jaggi Vasudev
"When you become meditative, you will see, your intellectual capabilities will increase many times more than what it is right now. Not because meditation makes you intelligent, but because meditation clears up the mess, the muck that’s gathered on the glass of the flashlight. As your meditation deepens, it just clears up the muck more and more and the flashlight becomes more and more powerful. It shows you things more and more clearly."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back