• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

As a Brahmin, is it wrong for me to try non veg?

Its a desire. God will never reject anyone for this i.e satisfying their desire as long as it doesn't harm anyone, I mean to say if you had not ordered that dish some one else would have as the animal is already dead.I am saying this as a brahmin girl who has never taken non- vegetarian food and never had desire for it. But when i was kid had lot of health issues and had to take tablets having cod(fish) liver oil. So will God reject me? no. The God I believe is karuna moorthy( epitome of compassion). My suggestion is if you otherwise feel healthy, then pray to God to remove this desire from you.

It's ultimately relating to your peace of mind. Do not do anything , which make you regret later on.
Be it eating anything or indulging with some one's property (Means everything included)

Hi Eshwaran,
Eating non veg is not followed in our culture because we tell Gayatri Mantra daily. Our tongue should be smooth. We avoid garlic and onion as it makes our tongue little harder.
Knowing that fire is dangerous, we avoid it. Similarly we should avoid it. It should not come in thought only
It is a sin . But god bless everybody even from plants to humans
One may taste only in the mouth and fully gargle or purify the mouth rejecting all the taste of the dead animal cell iff the desire to taste it, is very intense.

To taste a thing is infant's instinct, one may test one Atman's controlling power first by applying it to one's this undesired desire of taste. [Only exception to know a tamas taste could be to distinguish it and reject it right from the mouth; while travelling in foreign airliner this power to distinguish would help, however, a sattav has powerful power to distinguish things by birth itself and need not to taste any or everything.]

Last edited:
Its a desire. God will never reject anyone for this i.e satisfying their desire as long as it doesn't harm anyone, I mean to say if you had not ordered that dish some one else would have as the animal is already dead.I am saying this as a brahmin girl who has never taken non- vegetarian food and never had desire for it. But when i was kid had lot of health issues and had to take tablets having cod(fish) liver oil. So will God reject me? no. The God I believe is karuna moorthy( epitome of compassion). My suggestion is if you otherwise feel healthy, then pray to God to remove this desire from you.
The God I believe is karuna moorthy( epitome of compassion). Going inside temple with chappals, praying with chappals doesnot harm anyone. You accept others to go to temple with chappels ? God is karuna moorthy.
We think we are great and do what we wish even against the systems followed thousands of years by our
elders. The problem is to make others also to follow our type.
" So will God reject me?" do you want exceptions to be a permanent rule?

Why do you think you are human? Similarly why do you think you are brahmin?
You are accidental brahmins because your mother told you, you do not even know your father unless you do genetic study.

I do believe that a plant-based diet has all the nutrients to have a healthy life. As an example, Kale has more protein by weight than most sources. So, I do support the idea that killing animals for food is not necessary, but a habit.

Here is my dilemma though.

I took up gardening very late in life. Observing plants grow has been an education on survival and propagation. I planted Sankupushpam and Snakegourd in pots placed near wooden fencelines. On one side of the plants, there was support (fence and steel lines) and the opposite side was open. The tendrils developed over time and I observed that the plant was intelligent enough to direct the tendrils towards the fence lines to find the support it needed to grow. In other instances, I have seen plants steer themselves towards the sunlight to help them grow.

My fascination and understanding of them grew to a point, where I had a dilemma or reluctance to remove a healthy plant because it was a rogue plant, i.e. something that grew on its own with no value to me. My reluctance I suppose comes from the fact that the plant is lush, healthy and has a life of its own and by removing it, I am in fact ending its life cycle. It is increasingly not sitting well with me.

I have lemon and orange trees and I find fruits fall down when ripe. I gather them and use it as food, no problems. But I do know that most plants that eat are grown and harvested for food, effectively ending their life. I am sure there is some explanation or justification for using plants for human survival. I sometimes wonder what that might be.

A softer version is desired.
If I can add my thoughts ...

But if you look at Ramayana, Lord Rama is said to have eaten meat.

Our ancient ancestors (I am talking 1000-2000 years ago) were predominantly meat eaters. Over the years, due to various influences (spiritual gurus), people started abstaining from meat for reasons best known to them.
This became a way of life for many and thus brahmins started to be more vegetarians.

It is like Keto diet or low-carb diet. 20 years ago, nothing was known about them. These days they are very popular. Another 20 to 30 years later, they will be a mainstay.

What you eat or not eat does not make you a brahmin. It is entirely your personal choice. Ofcourse, if you add societal norms, then it is influenced by peers / peer pressure.

Our ancient ancestors (I am talking 1000-2000 years ago) were predominantly meat eaters. Over the years, due to various influences (spiritual gurus), people started abstaining from meat for reasons best known to them.
This became a way of life for many and thus brahmins started to be more vegetarians.

It is like Keto diet or low-carb diet. 20 years ago, nothing was known about them. These days they are very popular. Another 20 to 30 years later, they will be a mainstay.

What you eat or not eat does not make you a brahmin. It is entirely your personal choice. Ofcourse, if you add societal norms, then it is influenced by peers / peer pressure.
And Lord Rama lost his wife.
AAhaar Shudhdhi is certainly very important. ShrimatBhagvadGita Adhyay 17 Shlokas 7-10 indicates about the different choices of Aahaar. These days too many varieties of Aahaar are available to satisfy stomach hunger to keep mind and body healthy. One can be now very selective about one's Aahaar vis-a-vis the type of mind & body one wishes to develop.

What you eat or not eat does not make you a brahmin. It is entirely your personal choice. Ofcourse, if you add societal norms, then it is influenced by peers / peer pressu
And Lord Rama lost his wife.
AAhaar Shudhdhi is certainly very important. ShrimatBhagvadGita Adhyay 17 Shlokas 7-10 indicates about the different choices of Aahaar. These days too many varieties of Aahaar are available to satisfy stomach hunger to keep mind and body healthy. One can be now very selective about one's Aahaar vis-a-vis the type of mind & body one wishes to develop.
Aghoris are beyond any census, cut off from society, however, eat anything just to protect satvic individuals in society. Not much knowledge about them.

Iam so happy to have been born a vegetarian, I believe in Thiruvalluvar's Hindu view
தன்ஊன் பெருக்கற்குத் தான்பிறிது ஊனுன்பான் எங்ஙனம் ஆளும் அருள்.
How can someone be governed by compassion, if one eats another body to grow one’s own body?

Iam glad Iam not part of the pain cycle created in killing chicken, goats etc. Iam sure the effort and pain in killing gets bigger as the animal gets bigger. The pain the cow goes through in being killed is unimaginable. Why people want to dig out intestines from dead carcass and eat it, god only knows. On the other hand I have lots of vegen friends who are not brahmin and not even Hindu. They have just decided to avoid all animal products. Good on them !!

The whole corona crisis stemmed from a live meat market of china, Iam sure nothing so deadly can spread to the whole world from a pudalangaai market !!

Hello everyone, I am Eshwaran and just joined this community, there's something that I have always wanted to do but because of my beliefs I haven't been able to. I have a small urge to TRY non veg food just for me to be able to get a taste of it and have an experience. I follow Kanchi mahaperiyava's teaching, but will trying non veg make me be rejected by god? Is it wrong to just try for an experience?

I have wishes to god and everything is going smoothly and very thankful to that, but if I try non veg, will my prayers not be answered by god? Will he stop fulfilling my wishes? Will he forcefully take me to a path that will lead me to be a failure than the path he chose for me to be successful if I try non veg?

Please let me know, thank you.
I am really surprised to the question as knowing our culture to ask such question and create a talk.
No one in this universe is without sin. A sin is once you start feeling having knowingly done a wrong and feel inside.
The answer to this is your own inner thing abandoning it forthwith. There are ancillary bad habits also which I don't need to mention.
Once Shiva and Parvathi came to universe and are at the secret river Gangai. Parvathi asked a question do think every one is without sin taking bath here. Lord Shiva wanted to let her know the fact herself. He said we both now adore an aged coupled I go into the stream of the river and you shout to save your husband. Everyone will be ready to dive and save me. But tell them only one condition you can save him. As my husband is a devotee no sinners can touch him while saving. All wondered and stood silent unable to help. Suddenly one youth jumped into the river Gangai Ma and safely brought her husband. Both Lord Shiva and Parvathi in the guise of old couple asked, you are sinless? How come? As a human and also a youth surely have wealth of sin. The boy replied how so ever my accumulating sin, the moment I touch the water of Gangai Ma all my sins are erased and I am pure so I am able to save your husband. Immediately Lord Siva with Parvathi Devi show their true face and blessed all.
So instead of spreading discussion better change yourself for your good.
This topic has never ending discussion so better we give a full stop and move on in life. Our Learned Vasishtar Dhronar Vyasar their life story is available in book and in the nett. Read them. God Bless.

Vegetarian for Brahmins was initiated by Saint Agasthya,
when he was invited to dine with demons like vadapi and Illvalan. Illvalan used to turn his brother vadapi into a ram, and killed it and made dish out of it and asked the invited guests to eat it. Not to displease the host, the guests ate it and after eaten it , Illvalan by the virtue of boon got by him, called out the brother vadapi to come out of the stomach of the guests. Vadapi will come out tearing the stomach of the guests in full form. In this manner, many brahmins and rishis were killed by these demons. The demons then devor the guests. In the similar manner, when sage Agasthya happen to pass through their place, these demons invited him to have dinner with him. Because of supernatural powers agasthya had, he came to know the ill intentions of these demons and without second thought he agreed to take part in the dinner. As usual, vadapi was turned into goat and got cooked by his brother and served to Sage Agasthya. Agasthya ate the goat and after that uttered "Vadapi jeeranoth bava". When Illvalan tried to call his barother vadapi, vadapi did not appear and Illvalan was shocked and surprised. Knowing that his brother was killed was sage agasthya, he got furious and tried to attack and kill sage agasthya. Agasthya again by his power , reduced Illvalan to ashes and thus got rid of both the demons.. Now sage Agasthya came to a conclusion. He instructed that "From now on, No spritual oriented persons (including brahmins) and sages, rishis should consume meat and meat oriented products in what ever manner . So it's Agasthya who is responsible for the vegetarianism of the brahmins and rishis...
This story from our scripture is a simile and should be understood properly. A literal translation or on the face of it seems a justification for eating meat.
But the true meaning is much deeper.

Esoteric Meaning:​

From a brief overview of the story it looks like it was the norm for Brahmins to eat mutton but if we examine the story we can easily see the actual meaning.
Sage Agastya is shown to create his wife from all good things. This indicates the birth of “faith” in him to get the absolute knowledge. As a Sage, he is married to faith. Lopamudra is Lady Faith. She sends him on an errand to gain the best wealth which is true knowledge. There are four Purusharthas in this world which are a form of wealth. The four Purusharthas are Dharma, Artha, Kama and Moksha.
The Sage meets with the three Kings who have the wealth of the first three Purusharthas respectively. The efforts they had to put in according to the shastras to obtain the Purusharthas is the income and their enjoyment of the Purusharthas is the expense. The income and the expense balance out. Upon examining their income vs expense statements the Sage realizes that the first three Purusharthas are not eternal wealth. He therefore takes the three kings with him to obtain the eternal wealth from the Dhanava Ilvala. The five stars in Orion’s head are called as Ilvala. The moon called as soma is the regent of these five stars. Thus we have a hidden meaning about the Soma Sacrifice in this legend.
The sacrificial oblation is often represented as a victim in the form of a goat. The moon Soma cooks his brother Vatapi as a goat. That is the moon sacrifices something which is very dear to him. Thus Vatapi is the Soma juice obtained from the moon Soma. Vatapi has the essence of the Soma Juice and is the “food of true knowledge”.
The stomach is used to represent a samsaric man’s sufferings from hunger and thirst. A Brahmin is a person who seeks Brahma Vidhya. Ilvala feeds knowledge in the form of Vatapi to the Brahmins. As soon as the Brahmins consume this supreme food, Vatapi is shown to burst forth from their bellies to show us that true knowledge ends the troubles of samsara.
When Ilvala offers knowledge Vatapi as food, Agastya consumes everything without leaving a single morsel for the kings. This is to show that only Brahmins have the right to consume the Soma Juice. Even though Agastya eats Vatapi without leaving a single morsel for the kings, they too are benefited when Sage Agastya obtained true knowledge. It was shown earlier that Vatapi burst out of the stomach of Brahmins in order to show that true knowledge ends sufferings. It is also equally essential to show that true knowledge makes a person immortal. Thus Sage Agastya is shown to have digested “Vatapi” and he is not harmed. Ilvala granted wealth to the Sage as well as the three kings to show that people of other varnas (castes) are benefited as well when a Brahmin acquires true knowledge.
The Sage then returned home and his wife Lopamudra conceived. The embryo grew in her womb for seven years and after the completion of the seventh year was born as Idhmavaha. It should be noted that it took seven whole years for the embryo to develop. This part of the legend shows us that the Sage obtained the Supreme-Self as his son i.e to show the Sage’s spiritual birth. A person who is initiated into spiritual path through the Upanayanam ceremony is called a Dwija. The Upanayanam ceremony is typically performed after the completion of the seventh year. Thus Idhmavaha is shown to grow in Lopamudra’s womb for seven years and then take birth after the completion of seven years to indicate the Sage’s spiritual birth.
Through Ilvala’s sacrifice of Vatapi Idhmavaha is born; thus, Ilvala’s wish to have a son equal to Indra is fulfilled as well. The word “Indra” means king and refers solely to Lord Vishnu. Only when we add a prefix to the word “Indra” the word is used to refer to other kings like Devendra, Gajendra etc. Idhmavaha is thus the Supreme-Self and He is realized by sage Agastya. The name Idhmavaha means the one who carries the fuel. The Supreme-Self carries the fuel "jeevatma"; i.e Paramatma is the means as well as the end. This is the true knowledge required to attain moksha. This is the true meaning of the story.

Reference:​

Essays on Indo Aryan Mythology by Narayan Aiyangar.

Hello everyone, I am Eshwaran and just joined this community, there's something that I have always wanted to do but because of my beliefs I haven't been able to. I have a small urge to TRY non veg food just for me to be able to get a taste of it and have an experience. I follow Kanchi mahaperiyava's teaching, but will trying non veg make me be rejected by god? Is it wrong to just try for an experience?

I have wishes to god and everything is going smoothly and very thankful to that, but if I try non veg, will my prayers not be answered by god? Will he stop fulfilling my wishes? Will he forcefully take me to a path that will lead me to be a failure than the path he chose for me to be successful if I try non veg?

Simple answer. What you miss in veg food? If your parents were strictly veg respect them and be veg. The very doubt shows your duwida. Better be a veg

As far eating non-veg do one thing. You are getting Soya chunks. It is available and many suggest to eat that. Besides soya milk is also popular. Buy soya chunks and cook and eat. It is the same taste a non-veg will give. As far other detail I would say As Lord Krishna says your desire is the attachment for everything. Once you fulfill the desire the you will get refined and decide yourself.

IMHO it is not that which goes inside through your mouth that makes you a brahmin. what goes inside through your mouth comes out and gets thrown out as waste. but that which comes out from your mouth decides whether you are a brahmin or not. if words coming out of your mouth gives grace to the audience, if your words comforts others, heals broken souls, enlightens others, changes the audience to the better, motivates the listener, encourages the audience, edifies the listener, changes the listener to a good person, makes a positive impact on the audience etc etc then that makes you a brahmin. what comes out of your mouth has the potential to refine or defile your spirit, soul and body.

question itself is unethical.

Latest ads

Back